Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool's greatest ever left back?

Alec Lindsay
      (1.6%)
      Alan Kennedy
      (41.5%)
      Jim Beglin
      (1.6%)
      Gerry Byrne
      (4.9%)
      John Arne Riise
      (26.8%)
      Steve Staunton
      (1.6%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (4.1%)
      Steve Nicol
      (17.9%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back

Read 7900 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back
      Jun 05, 2016 11:10:39 am
      Great discussion we've had for the first full back so now its over to the other side.

In my opinion we've not been as well blessed on the left side of the defense over the years and again if the old hands have a few from back in the day that would be good to hear.

More recently its been one of our problem positions so maybe not many obvious candidates from this era.

For me there is one outstanding candidate and I think will comfortably top the vote when it happens.

As always folks don't forget to vote for your Keeper and Right Back if you haven't done already.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2016 11:19:51 am
      Alan Kennedy for me Si.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2016 11:22:27 am

Can hardly remember him but im swayed to saying him as I've never seen us blessed with a great one since his time here.

Alan Kennedy.

Edit. Feels like you've got a stint as a chat room host or soemthing here Si :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #3: Jun 05, 2016 11:22:40 am

That's the one.

Shall we put the poll up now? ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Jun 05, 2016 11:39:26 am
      That's the one.

Shall we put the poll up now? ;D

I did also like Jim Beglin when he first appeared on the scene. 

I remember my Dad saying in his first game "How do Liverpool keep doing this?  They bring a player in that nobody's heard of and they look like they've been playing in the team for years".

We had that knack in those days but then not many realised they'd been in the ressies for years learning the ropes.

Maybe we don't need a poll Si although I'm sure the younger Reds will have their favourites too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2016 11:50:43 am
      Alan Kennedy and Alec Lindsay are two players who were faithful servants to the club.
      Some honours there between them.

My vote has to go to Gerry Byrne.
      A local Liverpool lad.

Not only was he a capable left back in those early years ... joinng the club under then Don Welsh  as manager  ...but he is part of Liverpool FC folklore for his part in the events of Saturday May 1st 1965.

It was the Cup Final and Bobby Collins of Leeds collided into him in the 3rd minute.

For the next 117 minutes of the game (it having gone into extra time) Gerry played with the jagged edges of a broken collar bone rubbing together.
      There were no subs allowed then and he stayed on the field in that condition for next two hours the sake of the team and the game.

Shanks was manager and Bob Paisley was physio that day.

We went on to win 2-1 .
      Saint got the winner from a brilliant header in extra time.

In 2009 Gerry deservedly was awarded a belated World Cup Winner's medal with others who were in the squad.
      Originally only the 11 players who were on the pitch in July 66 had then got one.

Gerry passed away last November.

An LFC hero and and true legend.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2016 01:52:23 pm by eurored »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2016 12:53:47 pm
      Only just about remember Alan Kennedy. 

Staunton, Riise have probably been the longest serving left backs since then but on the basis of what I've seen Beglin was probably the best, albeit for such a short time.

Won the double though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2016 01:01:56 pm
      Beglin Staunton in my life time, special mention to Aurelio who could have been had he not been made of glass.
      Kopite78
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2016 01:08:45 pm
      Only just about remember Alan Kennedy. 

Staunton, Riise have probably been the longest serving left backs since then but on the basis of what I've seen Beglin was probably the best, albeit for such a short time.

Won the double though.

Similar age to me by those players mate.

Have to say my I have some fond memories of Stig from my early - mid teens.. Wasn't the best left back but loved his left peg onto Robbies head

Aurelio had great technique too, just couldn't get on the pitch enough

I'd probably just go the other way though with Stan Staunton over Beglin
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2016 01:14:22 pm
      If I base it on who I've seen play, that leaves me with Riise, Traore, Aurelio, Dossena, Enrique, Moreno and this guy:

Mods lock the thread, we have the winner :laugh:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2016 01:44:35 pm
      Heard so many things about Alan Kennedy, a true great.

From who I've seen play it's not that great to be honest. Would have to go Riise I suppose. In his prime he was very good. Shame he had a shocking last few seasons mind you.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2016 06:56:06 pm
      Haven't got a great choice from the players I've seen. Has to be Riise for me, but let's be honest Kennedy is winning this all day long :D
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2016 07:03:56 pm
      Aurelio for me. Twice the player or Riise.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2016 07:37:36 pm
      Reading the number of players we've had at left back the last 30 years only highlights how much of a problem position it has been.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2016 08:06:59 pm
      I suppose I should mention Gerry Byrne, but I only ever saw him play once against Wolves (I think) and he played in midfield that day as Emlyn was injured. I think he played in a couple of games that season as he tried and failed to come back from his knee (?) injury.

For me it is between Alan Kennedy, Steve Nicol and Alec Lindsey and as I have already promised Nicol  a place I will stick with him.

Not been quite as blessed with left backs as right, with more good players than great players, but Nicol was without doubt a great player.

Just a quick mention for Avi Cohen (the new Beckenbauer) wasn't quite that good :) but scored both against us then for us in the game in which we won the title against Villa.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2016 08:08:42 pm
      If I base it on who I've seen play, that leaves me with Riise, Traore, Aurelio, Dossena, Enrique, Moreno and this guy:

Mods lock the thread, we have the winner :laugh:

You're the same age as me. So based on those, Riise by a few miles.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4967 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2016 09:31:02 pm
      'Joey's gonna get ya, Joey's gonna get ya' was a song I heard emanating from the Kop via our TV set way back in the mid 70's, Sir Bob bought him from Wrexham where Bob converted him from RB,

this might have been one of the first songs I heard as I took a interest in Liverpool FC, I'm Scottish if you didn't already know, anyhoo, since I only seen him on a wee 22" tv and by the time I myself was visiting Anfield I can't really give him my vote,

also I voted Stevie Nicol (without thinking properly) as my RB so as much as I would have liked to have two Stevie Nicol's on the same pitch, it's a no no,

That old dog Skip does it again by naming another true Anfield hero in Gerry Byrne before my time of course, as was the great Alec Lyndsey, so I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle, well not really because like, How can you not give it to Barney, proper living legend and modest to a tee, the fella is so grounded you could call him Tarmac, Alan Kennedy, two winning goals in two European cup finals, from LB, doesn't get much better does it, you could add 5 league winners medals, the 4 league cup winners medals aswell, 251 appearances for LFC scoring 15 goals( got the last bit from  wiki),

We've had a few good uns after haven't we, Nicol, Stan Staunton, Dave Burrows, J Arne-Riise(how did he score that goal?) , Fab Fabio Aurelio, ....

....Barney romps it for me.

YNWA

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2016 10:09:50 pm
      Nicol for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2016 11:15:55 pm
      As with the right back position, there's three stand out contenders. Unfortunately though, all three were long before my lifetime.

Gerry Byrne, one of the greatest stories in Liverpool history. The 65 Cup final. Breaks his collar bone in the first couple of minutes and still goes on to play the entire game - that went to extra time an all. Was also part of the 66 World Cup winning squad. Not surprising considering he was in the team that won promotion in 62, won the League in 64, FA Cup in 65 and regained the League in 66.

Alan Kennedy, lets face it if you score two European Cup winning goals you're gonna be held in the highest regard. Especially when one of those goals is against the world's second biggest club (Real Madrid) and the other is a winning penalty against a side in their own back yard (Roma). Quite the turnaround for a fella who was told on his debut by Bob Paisley that they'd shot the wrong Kennedy. Still involved with the club on the media side, which shows his loyalty to Liverpool. Barney will win this by a landslide - at least he should.

Third mention is to one of Liverpool's greatest servants - Ronnie Moran. Words can't express how much I love this man and truth be told, every Liverpool fan should. Devoted his entire life to the club he loves. Just having a quick look down the appearance list, Ronnie is the highest ranked for any out and out left back. He retired some 50 years ago, and he's still played more than any out and out left back. Says it all really. That's before what you consider he did on the coaching staff and to this day he still goes to Melwood. F***ing hell I love him.

Honourable mentions to Joey Jones and Steve Nicol. Joey has the greatest banner of any Liverpool player. He was brave enough to take on the entire Barcelona crowd on his todd when they were throwing cushions at the players - even though they were throwing them at their own players. He'd never shirk a tackle, it's exactly the sort of player we could do with now. And Steve Nicol, who I think will get a lot of votes. He was quality on the left, despite being a right back by trade. His versatility would be invaluable, though I think we've had better left backs that were before my time.

From 91, we've had some F***ing dross. I've seen people saying Aurelio as a possibility, he was a F***ing joke. Absolute sh*te. And probably looked slightly better because of the other sh*t we've had recently. Moreno, Dossena, Insua, Konchesky, Vignal, Traore. God it hurts to keep going. Even Warnock and Ziege were average, though I must admit I did like both during their time here. Staunton was way past his best when he came back - thought he did alright for Villa before we got him back though.

When you're seriously considering putting a right back or centre half out there, it shows just how poor we have been in that position. Riise will probably win for those who are judging it Premier League only and he was alright we he first arrived, grew into the role then after a couple of years gradually got worse. I'd be disappointed if Riise is our best left back.

I could throw Arbeloa there. His first Liverpool start and he keeps Messi in his pocket all game at the Nou Camp. I could pick Carra because it's easier to find a centre half to join Sami Hyypia, then it is to decide on a left back so throwing Carra out there makes the centre half decison easier. I know he hated it and I know he struggled at times but he has to be in the team and like I said it's easier to find another centre half.

In the end though I've gone for Stig. I thought he was always a decent hand, a defender first who went forward when he could. And what a F***ing cross he had on him. I think he really benefited from Roy Evans' wingback style. Solid, no frills. Very much like Steve Finnan who I picked for the right.

So my pick is Stig Inge Bjornebye although in reality it could be anybody pre-90 because even the sh*t left backs back then (Ablett, Venison, Burrows) were better than what we've had since.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2016 12:15:17 am
      The names that shout out to be considered the best left back are for me the following Eddie Spicer,he suffered a broken leg twice and had to retire when he was in his prime.Gerry Byrne who if it was not for him our first F.A. Cup would probably never of arrived at Anfield in 1965.Then we had Alec Lindsay a  half back who Shanks converted to a cultured left full back.Barney Rubble will always figure up there with the best.Another one who deserves to named with the best is Ronnie Moran,he did an excellent job for us and served us loyally for many years.
                                                           My pick has to be Gerry Byrne for that brave performance at Wembley in 1965-R.I.P.Gerry.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #20: Jun 06, 2016 02:27:22 am
      Julian Dicks? Rob Jones, no?

OK then, has to be Steve Staunton for me. I would go for Alan Kennedy but everyone other oldy is jumping on that bandwagon!

Steve Staunton was our lefty Steve Finnan.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #21: Jun 06, 2016 02:38:27 am
      I think Alan Kennedy, Stevie Nicol or Joey Jones would get it in that order.

However in the past 15 years, Aurelio was the best player we had there, just made of glass.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Jun 06, 2016 02:53:00 am
      Alan Kennedy, for the same reason of Phil Neal: because I've met him once! ;D (I was with Cas and Kenny at the time)

Now, seriously, I can only talk about players I've seen in my time as a fan and in that period John Arne Riise was easily my favourite.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #23: Jun 06, 2016 07:36:52 am
      Alan Kennedy.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 659 posts | 85 
      Reply #24: Jun 06, 2016 07:48:06 am
      Barney Rubble for me.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Jun 06, 2016 07:58:14 am
      Probably the weakest position, honourable mentions to alec Lindsay, Stevie nicol again and jim beglin before shagger Stevens did him. konchesky and dicks who were 2 of the worst players in living memory. Alan Kennedy all day long.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Jun 06, 2016 08:11:44 am
      we need a thread best left back other than Alan kennedy he is beyond legend status and a great guy.
      From late 60's 70's Alec Lindsay was special a bit thick but a great full back.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #27: Jun 06, 2016 08:19:46 am
      we need a thread best left back other than Alan kennedy he is beyond legend status and a great guy.
      From late 60's 70's Alec Lindsay was special a bit thick but a great full back.

Thats no way to talk about Marty Feldman Lindsay as we used to call him on the old Kop mate.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #28: Jun 06, 2016 12:59:44 pm
      Kennedy obviously but Riise for me just for that left foot.

Also a special mention to Duncan McLean who a lot of forum members will no doubt remember, he was our left back in the 1892 season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Jun 06, 2016 01:24:27 pm
      Riise shades it because I was too young to remember the others before him :( Also, Heinze would have been the greatest if he fu**ed over Utd and joined us :D

Anyway, on a side note, can anyone spot the difference? Always felt he looked like Timberlake :D

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #30: Jun 06, 2016 01:51:24 pm
      Kennedy walks this although I never got to see him play.  Born in 87 I haven't seen many good left backs at Liverpool.  My pick goes to Traore. Being deadly serious too. He was utter sh*te but for his heroics in Istanbul he gets the nod for me.

Aurelio is by far the best footballer I've ever seen play in the LB position but his injury problems meant he would never be a great for us. I don't ever remember him having a lengthy run in the team.

I have a soft spot for Riise but he was actually sh*te too in all honesty. He scored a few worldies (the free kick against United is still up there for being one of the best goals I've ever seen at Anfield) and even nowadays he speaks very highly of the club, but his defending at times was comical and every bit as bad as Moreno is today. Our fans have very short memories when John Arne is concerned.  He was much better when Rafa pushed him further forward and he played as a left mid.

Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #31: Jun 06, 2016 02:31:08 pm
      Has to be Riise for me, given I'm going off of players I've seen play.

Agree that if Aurelio wasn't glass it could have been him.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #32: Jun 06, 2016 03:03:23 pm
      For the reasons I gave in my right back post, Stevie Nicol gets my vote. He had to be in my team and the fact I don't believe any out and out left backs in my time have deserved to be in, him and Rob Jones are my full backs.

It's not until you sit back and have a think over your time served watching the mighty reds you realise how much a problem left has been, especially since the mid 80s when I started watching football. Steve Staunton was a player who I had alot of time for in his first spell, he couldn't half ping a ball that lad with his left peg. We got rid too soon imo, mainly down to Souness's love affair with Steve Hawkness but when Stan rejoined us he wasn't half the player we sold for me.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016 01:03:02 pm by Fowler#23 »
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,375 posts | 1454 
      Reply #33: Jun 06, 2016 06:29:22 pm
      Has to be Barney rubble for me,I can still remember vividly the moment when  he scored that goal against Real Madrid in 81 as a 13 year old kid, his value in panini sticker swaps went up 5 fold in school after that goal too.
      my dad who is playing along also,has picked Gerry Byrne who was his idol.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #34: Jun 07, 2016 11:00:33 am
      Poll added.  Place your vote.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Jun 07, 2016 11:13:42 am
      if its Heroics you want look no further than Gerry Byrne who after just 7 mins broke  his collar bone in the 65 Cup final but then carried on playing.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #36: Jun 07, 2016 12:03:05 pm
      Alan Kennedy.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #37: Jun 07, 2016 12:59:46 pm
      Went for Barney Rubble, but Nicol was a close second.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #38: Jun 07, 2016 01:02:19 pm
      The strangest thing happened to me when I woke up this morning. The first thing, thought, word or whatever you want to call it that my brain produced when I woke up was 'Nicol'. It was weird. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something. My vote goes to Nicol!

On a more serious note: it's a shame I wasn't born yet to witness the heroics of players like Byrne, Kennedy, ... It pretty much leaves me with a choice between Riise and Aurelio. Purely based on talent I'd have to go for Aurelio, but I'm going for Riise. It's more sentiment than anything else though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #39: Jun 07, 2016 02:33:19 pm
      it is about the greatest EVER you don't have to limit it to your own lifetime or experience.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Jun 07, 2016 08:05:08 pm
      Be awkward if Nicol wins LB and RB.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,340 posts | 1620 
      Reply #41: Jun 07, 2016 08:10:18 pm
      Only going on what i have seen had to be Barney for me although had i seen Gerry play it might have been different.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Reply #42: Jun 07, 2016 08:34:21 pm
      Not quite certain on this  one tbh, think I will go with Alec Lindsay.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #43: Jun 07, 2016 09:27:24 pm

Didn't think of that. ;D

He was that good though he could play both at the same time.

Right? :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2016 08:14:12 am
      Ziege

Stan.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2016 10:48:15 am
      When he was actually fit, Fabio Aurelio was a brilliant little player. It won't be popular saying it, but for a while Glen Johnson was a monster too. Stevie Nicol wins it though for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2016 02:16:19 pm
      When he was actually fit, Fabio Aurelio was a brilliant little player. It won't be popular saying it, but for a while Glen Johnson was a monster too. Stevie Nicol wins it though for me.

Aurelio was class and like you say Glen had great spell at LB.

Neither trouble the best we've had here though for me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2016 03:53:12 pm
      it is about the greatest EVER you don't have to limit it to your own lifetime or experience.

Im taking it the other way Walton, to be fair you surely can only judge what you have witnessed week in week out with your own eyes? Rather than reputations of players you personally haven't watched beyond clips and the odd game

People of the older generation have more players to judge, people of the eighties on will rate the likes of Nicol very highly like myself, the youngsters won't have seen them play and will judge the players they have seen

That's the way I've been approaching the questions Si has raised

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2016 07:00:52 pm
      Im taking it the other way Walton, to be fair you surely can only judge what you have witnessed week in week out with your own eyes? Rather than reputations of players you personally haven't watched beyond clips and the odd game

People of the older generation have more players to judge, people of the eighties on will rate the likes of Nicol very highly like myself, the youngsters won't have seen them play and will judge the players they have seen

That's the way I've been approaching the questions Si has raised

its a chance for those who do not know some of the players to do some research but I don't think there is any rule about voting its a free vote mate I was just referring to the thread title. I went for Alan Kennedy although I have seen all those on the list  play except Gerry Byrne only Saint and Eurored are that old. Kennedy score the winner in two CL finals that's bonkers for a left back.
      Kopite78
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2016 07:12:44 pm
      its a chance for those who do not know some of the players to do some research but I don't think there is any rule about voting its a free vote mate I was just referring to the thread title. I went for Alan Kennedy although I have seen all those on the list  play except Gerry Byrne only Saint and Eurored are that old. Kennedy score the winner in two CL finals that's bonkers for a left back.

You're right mate, it's bonkers.. I'm 37, he was before my time of watching week in week out, the first side I started watching was 85-86 and as far as I can remember Beglin played LB that season.

That's my starting point, as much as I've watched back for me to judge it more what I've seen in my time than before it. No harm meant, just think of its that way then people judge their era and the vote will be a fair indication rather than a landslide

What was the first season you started watching the Reds mate?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Jun 09, 2016 07:35:45 am
      You're right mate, it's bonkers.. I'm 37, he was before my time of watching week in week out, the first side I started watching was 85-86 and as far as I can remember Beglin played LB that season.

That's my starting point, as much as I've watched back for me to judge it more what I've seen in my time than before it. No harm meant, just think of its that way then people judge their era and the vote will be a fair indication rather than a landslide

What was the first season you started watching the Reds mate?

I seem to remember the Boys pen in the early 70's and then then the Paddock,The Annie Road and finally the Kop.
      But as this is the greatest ever team will there be a better one than this .
      https://youtu.be/Nusc-QJBosg
      MsGerrard
      Reply #51: Jun 09, 2016 07:20:44 pm
      Alan Kennedy, for the same reason of Phil Neal: because I've met him once! ;D (I was with Cas and Kenny at the time)

Now, seriously, I can only talk about players I've seen in my time as a fan and in that period John Arne Riise was easily my favourite.

Barney Rubble for me by a country mile....ok I may be a bit biased, I've met him so many times now that he reconises me  :lmao:

Some very top players in that list too.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Jun 09, 2016 07:26:59 pm
      only Saint and Eurored are that old.

D'ya hear that Saint ?
      There is no two fingered emoticon Walt .... I've just found out.
       ;D

Anyhoo ( to use a turn of phrase used by one of my fav posters ) ..... I think Billy 1 might have something to say about that.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #53: Jun 09, 2016 07:31:24 pm
      Barney Rubble for me by a country mile....ok I may be a bit biased, I've met him so many times now that he reconises me  :lmao:

Some very top players in that list too.

I didn't know you were a stalker. :f_whistle:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #54: Jun 09, 2016 07:32:06 pm
      D'ya hear that Saint ?
       ;D

Anyhoo ( to use a turn of phrase used by one of my fav posters ) ..... I think Billy 1 might have something to say about that.

Alan b***ard now he was a politician
      MsGerrard
      Reply #55: Jun 09, 2016 08:52:09 pm
      I didn't know you were a stalker. :f_whistle:

I'm not Walton....he stalks me  :P :lmao: ;D ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #56: Jun 10, 2016 08:13:23 am
      D'ya hear that Saint ?
       ;D

You could be right Skip,I referred to Eddie Spicer in my post on this thread and there was not one reply to what he was like.He retired through injury in 1953 before the slide down to the old 2nd division started.He was another player whose career was also cut short through the 2nd world war.From memory I think his place in the team was taken by Frank Lock who we bought from Charlton on boxing day 1953.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jun 10, 2016 12:25:41 pm
      Alec Lindsay solid as F**k in defence but he could score the odd goal or two and chip in with assists (long before wing-backs became trendy). I just loved Joey Jones and his no F***ing nonsense approach - if pushed he would be  my favourite left back but 'greatest'? Nah.

I get that Barney will probably be most fans choice as he has a special place in folklore and I truly believe John Arne Riise deserves his place; a fine, fine footballer but for me...

Alec Lindsay just pips the both of them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Jun 12, 2016 11:19:49 am
      On ability, it's Fabio Aurelio. Could defend, get forward, delivery was excellent and a set piece wizard.

If he stayed fit he would've been the solution to one position we always lacked quality in.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Jun 12, 2016 01:11:58 pm
      Alec Lindsay solid as f**k in defence but he could score the odd goal or two and chip in with assists (long before wing-backs became trendy). I just loved Joey Jones and his no f**king nonsense approach - if pushed he would be  my favourite left back but 'greatest'? Nah.

I get that Barney will probably be most fans choice as he has a special place in folklore and I truly believe John Arne Riise deserves his place; a fine, fine footballer but for me...

Alec Lindsay just pips the both of them.

I was a big fan of Lindsay and he scored one of the best ever FA Cup final goals only to have it incorrectly ruled offside by the dickhead REF.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2016 05:22:49 pm
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/06/14/liverpools-top-5-left-backs-of-premier-league-era-following-riises-retirement/

Interesting little read about our LB's in the PL era.

It would have been easier compiling a list of Liverpool’s worst Premier League left-backs, actually.

The likes of Andrea Dossena, Aly Cissokho, Alberto Moreno and Steve Staunton, to name but a few, have tried to play left-back for Liverpool – in a position we’ve traditionally had trouble properly filling.

Upon John Arne Riise’s retirement, we’ve listed the five ‘best’, although that in itself comes with difficulty!

We can’t believe this first guy gets in, but who else is there…?

5) Jose Enrique

Yep – that’s how bad Liverpool’s left-backs have been; Enrique makes the list. The Spaniard signed in 2011 and enjoyed two productive seasons where he got forward and linked up well with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez – famously assisting the Uruguayan for a legendary effort against Newcastle. Since 2013 though he’s tainted his legacy hugely. Enrique got injured, struggled to regain fitness and spent his time on social media or on holiday – much to the annoyance of the fanbase. Worst of all, he chose to stay and pick up a hefty weekly wage when he knew he wouldn’t feature last term. Glad he’s gone, but actually decent at his best.

4) Jamie Carragher

Carragher was naturally a centre-back, but he didn’t make his name for Liverpool in the middle – and was a cornerstone of the side at left-back during our treble winning campaign of 2000/01. With Hyypia and Henchoz in central defence, Carra provided a reliable, sensible option on the left. He rarely bombed forward but was positionally uncompromised in defence. Unnatural left-backs such as Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan and Nathaniel Clyne more recently have done a decent job in this position, but Carragher was the best stand-in of the lot.

3) Fabio Aurelio

Could be right at the top of this list if injuries hadn’t affected him so badly. The Brazilian had a beautiful left foot, and scored some memorable free-kicks with it under Rafa Benitez. In six seasons though, he only managed 87 Premier League appearances; which was a huge shame considering his talent and guile on the ball. Had he maintained health, we’d have had the position shored up for a decade. As it was, he never fulfilled his potential – but still makes it in at no.3 due to lack of competition.

2) Stig Inge Bjornebye

Made it into the Premier League Team of the Year in 1996/97 where he played every game and scored four goals, consistently bombing up the left and supplying crosses for the likes of Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore. The Norwegian had a terrific engine and at his best, was a genuine asset for the all-action, frenetic style of football Roy Evans decided upon. He lost his place when Gerard Houllier, a more conservative manager, took full charge.

1) John Arne Riise

Easily the best left-back we’ve hard in the past 25 years. Another Norwegian, Riise arrived in 2001 from Monaco and immediately lit us up, scoring eight goals in his first season, following it up with six the next. Overall, Riise plundered 31 goals before leaving for Roma in 2008, and in truth, we haven’t properly replaced him since. He could defend, create and score – thanks to his thunderbolt left-foot which gave Liverpool fans some of our most memorable moments of the noughties.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2016 09:03:54 pm
      Alan Kennedy might be the critics choice, but I've a soft spot for Jim Beglin. Career cut short, never recovered from terrible leg break. But he'd be my pick in his prime.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Jun 28, 2016 01:35:38 pm
      would have picked Emlyn here if it was an option
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !