Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool's greatest ever left back?

Alec Lindsay
      (1.6%)
      Alan Kennedy
      (41.5%)
      Jim Beglin
      (1.6%)
      Gerry Byrne
      (4.9%)
      John Arne Riise
      (26.8%)
      Steve Staunton
      (1.6%)
      Fabio Aurelio
      (4.1%)
      Steve Nicol
      (17.9%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back

Read 7906 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Left Back
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2016 02:16:19 pm
      When he was actually fit, Fabio Aurelio was a brilliant little player. It won't be popular saying it, but for a while Glen Johnson was a monster too. Stevie Nicol wins it though for me.

Aurelio was class and like you say Glen had great spell at LB.

Neither trouble the best we've had here though for me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2016 03:53:12 pm
      it is about the greatest EVER you don't have to limit it to your own lifetime or experience.

Im taking it the other way Walton, to be fair you surely can only judge what you have witnessed week in week out with your own eyes? Rather than reputations of players you personally haven't watched beyond clips and the odd game

People of the older generation have more players to judge, people of the eighties on will rate the likes of Nicol very highly like myself, the youngsters won't have seen them play and will judge the players they have seen

That's the way I've been approaching the questions Si has raised

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2016 07:00:52 pm
      Im taking it the other way Walton, to be fair you surely can only judge what you have witnessed week in week out with your own eyes? Rather than reputations of players you personally haven't watched beyond clips and the odd game

People of the older generation have more players to judge, people of the eighties on will rate the likes of Nicol very highly like myself, the youngsters won't have seen them play and will judge the players they have seen

That's the way I've been approaching the questions Si has raised

its a chance for those who do not know some of the players to do some research but I don't think there is any rule about voting its a free vote mate I was just referring to the thread title. I went for Alan Kennedy although I have seen all those on the list  play except Gerry Byrne only Saint and Eurored are that old. Kennedy score the winner in two CL finals that's bonkers for a left back.
      Kopite78
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2016 07:12:44 pm
      its a chance for those who do not know some of the players to do some research but I don't think there is any rule about voting its a free vote mate I was just referring to the thread title. I went for Alan Kennedy although I have seen all those on the list  play except Gerry Byrne only Saint and Eurored are that old. Kennedy score the winner in two CL finals that's bonkers for a left back.

You're right mate, it's bonkers.. I'm 37, he was before my time of watching week in week out, the first side I started watching was 85-86 and as far as I can remember Beglin played LB that season.

That's my starting point, as much as I've watched back for me to judge it more what I've seen in my time than before it. No harm meant, just think of its that way then people judge their era and the vote will be a fair indication rather than a landslide

What was the first season you started watching the Reds mate?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Jun 09, 2016 07:35:45 am
      You're right mate, it's bonkers.. I'm 37, he was before my time of watching week in week out, the first side I started watching was 85-86 and as far as I can remember Beglin played LB that season.

That's my starting point, as much as I've watched back for me to judge it more what I've seen in my time than before it. No harm meant, just think of its that way then people judge their era and the vote will be a fair indication rather than a landslide

What was the first season you started watching the Reds mate?

I seem to remember the Boys pen in the early 70's and then then the Paddock,The Annie Road and finally the Kop.
      But as this is the greatest ever team will there be a better one than this .
      https://youtu.be/Nusc-QJBosg
      MsGerrard
      Reply #51: Jun 09, 2016 07:20:44 pm
      Alan Kennedy, for the same reason of Phil Neal: because I've met him once! ;D (I was with Cas and Kenny at the time)

Now, seriously, I can only talk about players I've seen in my time as a fan and in that period John Arne Riise was easily my favourite.

Barney Rubble for me by a country mile....ok I may be a bit biased, I've met him so many times now that he reconises me  :lmao:

Some very top players in that list too.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Jun 09, 2016 07:26:59 pm
      only Saint and Eurored are that old.

D'ya hear that Saint ?
      There is no two fingered emoticon Walt .... I've just found out.
       ;D

Anyhoo ( to use a turn of phrase used by one of my fav posters ) ..... I think Billy 1 might have something to say about that.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #53: Jun 09, 2016 07:31:24 pm
      Barney Rubble for me by a country mile....ok I may be a bit biased, I've met him so many times now that he reconises me  :lmao:

Some very top players in that list too.

I didn't know you were a stalker. :f_whistle:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #54: Jun 09, 2016 07:32:06 pm
      D'ya hear that Saint ?
       ;D

Anyhoo ( to use a turn of phrase used by one of my fav posters ) ..... I think Billy 1 might have something to say about that.

Alan b***ard now he was a politician
      MsGerrard
      Reply #55: Jun 09, 2016 08:52:09 pm
      I didn't know you were a stalker. :f_whistle:

I'm not Walton....he stalks me  :P :lmao: ;D ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #56: Jun 10, 2016 08:13:23 am
      D'ya hear that Saint ?
       ;D

You could be right Skip,I referred to Eddie Spicer in my post on this thread and there was not one reply to what he was like.He retired through injury in 1953 before the slide down to the old 2nd division started.He was another player whose career was also cut short through the 2nd world war.From memory I think his place in the team was taken by Frank Lock who we bought from Charlton on boxing day 1953.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jun 10, 2016 12:25:41 pm
      Alec Lindsay solid as F**k in defence but he could score the odd goal or two and chip in with assists (long before wing-backs became trendy). I just loved Joey Jones and his no F***ing nonsense approach - if pushed he would be  my favourite left back but 'greatest'? Nah.

I get that Barney will probably be most fans choice as he has a special place in folklore and I truly believe John Arne Riise deserves his place; a fine, fine footballer but for me...

Alec Lindsay just pips the both of them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Jun 12, 2016 11:19:49 am
      On ability, it's Fabio Aurelio. Could defend, get forward, delivery was excellent and a set piece wizard.

If he stayed fit he would've been the solution to one position we always lacked quality in.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Jun 12, 2016 01:11:58 pm
      Alec Lindsay solid as f**k in defence but he could score the odd goal or two and chip in with assists (long before wing-backs became trendy). I just loved Joey Jones and his no f**king nonsense approach - if pushed he would be  my favourite left back but 'greatest'? Nah.

I get that Barney will probably be most fans choice as he has a special place in folklore and I truly believe John Arne Riise deserves his place; a fine, fine footballer but for me...

Alec Lindsay just pips the both of them.

I was a big fan of Lindsay and he scored one of the best ever FA Cup final goals only to have it incorrectly ruled offside by the dickhead REF.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2016 05:22:49 pm
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/06/14/liverpools-top-5-left-backs-of-premier-league-era-following-riises-retirement/

Interesting little read about our LB's in the PL era.

It would have been easier compiling a list of Liverpool’s worst Premier League left-backs, actually.

The likes of Andrea Dossena, Aly Cissokho, Alberto Moreno and Steve Staunton, to name but a few, have tried to play left-back for Liverpool – in a position we’ve traditionally had trouble properly filling.

Upon John Arne Riise’s retirement, we’ve listed the five ‘best’, although that in itself comes with difficulty!

We can’t believe this first guy gets in, but who else is there…?

5) Jose Enrique

Yep – that’s how bad Liverpool’s left-backs have been; Enrique makes the list. The Spaniard signed in 2011 and enjoyed two productive seasons where he got forward and linked up well with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez – famously assisting the Uruguayan for a legendary effort against Newcastle. Since 2013 though he’s tainted his legacy hugely. Enrique got injured, struggled to regain fitness and spent his time on social media or on holiday – much to the annoyance of the fanbase. Worst of all, he chose to stay and pick up a hefty weekly wage when he knew he wouldn’t feature last term. Glad he’s gone, but actually decent at his best.

4) Jamie Carragher

Carragher was naturally a centre-back, but he didn’t make his name for Liverpool in the middle – and was a cornerstone of the side at left-back during our treble winning campaign of 2000/01. With Hyypia and Henchoz in central defence, Carra provided a reliable, sensible option on the left. He rarely bombed forward but was positionally uncompromised in defence. Unnatural left-backs such as Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan and Nathaniel Clyne more recently have done a decent job in this position, but Carragher was the best stand-in of the lot.

3) Fabio Aurelio

Could be right at the top of this list if injuries hadn’t affected him so badly. The Brazilian had a beautiful left foot, and scored some memorable free-kicks with it under Rafa Benitez. In six seasons though, he only managed 87 Premier League appearances; which was a huge shame considering his talent and guile on the ball. Had he maintained health, we’d have had the position shored up for a decade. As it was, he never fulfilled his potential – but still makes it in at no.3 due to lack of competition.

2) Stig Inge Bjornebye

Made it into the Premier League Team of the Year in 1996/97 where he played every game and scored four goals, consistently bombing up the left and supplying crosses for the likes of Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore. The Norwegian had a terrific engine and at his best, was a genuine asset for the all-action, frenetic style of football Roy Evans decided upon. He lost his place when Gerard Houllier, a more conservative manager, took full charge.

1) John Arne Riise

Easily the best left-back we’ve hard in the past 25 years. Another Norwegian, Riise arrived in 2001 from Monaco and immediately lit us up, scoring eight goals in his first season, following it up with six the next. Overall, Riise plundered 31 goals before leaving for Roma in 2008, and in truth, we haven’t properly replaced him since. He could defend, create and score – thanks to his thunderbolt left-foot which gave Liverpool fans some of our most memorable moments of the noughties.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2016 09:03:54 pm
      Alan Kennedy might be the critics choice, but I've a soft spot for Jim Beglin. Career cut short, never recovered from terrible leg break. But he'd be my pick in his prime.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Jun 28, 2016 01:35:38 pm
      would have picked Emlyn here if it was an option
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !