Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your TWO greatest ever LFC central defenders

Phil Thompson
      (5.1%)
      Emlyn Hughes
      (7%)
      Ron Yeats
      (2.3%)
      Alan Hansen
      (30.1%)
      Mark Lawrenson
      (3.5%)
      Sami Hyypia
      (23.8%)
      Gary Gillespie
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (23%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2%)
      Stephane Henchoz
      (0.4%)
      Tommy Smith
      (2.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence

Read 11492 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Jun 13, 2016 07:51:25 pm
      Keeper done, left back and right back down, now it's time to get down to the big boys at the back.

When the poll goes up you will be able to select two players from what will be an extensive list given the talent we have had at centre back.

I do not know how we can find better than John Scales and Torben Piechnik though.  :f_whistle:

Who are your nominations for LFC's best ever centre-backs?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever LFC Team: Central Defence
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2016 07:53:32 pm
      Hansen and lawrenson with mentions for yeats, Phil Thompson, emlyn hughes, hyppia, henchoz and torben piechnik
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2016 07:55:04 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2016 08:06:50 pm
      Keeper done, left back and right back down, now it's time to get down to the big boys at the back.

When the poll goes up you will be able to select two players from what will be an extensive list given the talent we have had at centre back.

I do not know how we can find better than John Scales and Torben Piechnik though.  :f_whistle:

Who are your nominations for LFC's best ever centre-backs?

Bjorn Tore Kvarme and Frode Kippe!!

Yeats, Hughes, Smith, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson, Gillespie, Hyypia, Carragher

There that should cover it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2016 08:13:11 pm
      Hansen and Lawrenson, but Hansen always said he preferred playing with Thompson to Lawrenson because Thompson was happy to take all the knocks and high balls which Alan and Mark weren't too keen on.

Another position where we have been blessed over the years, but had our fair share of poor players too.

Top of my list of those would be Babb, how he ever managed to play so many games so badly is a question only Babb's wife (and possibly Roy Evans) could possibly know the answer to.   

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2016 08:21:37 pm
      Thomo and Hansen was it something like 17 goals in 42 league  games. Start with Genesis and big Ron and then up to and including Sami and Jamie.
      But we used to have left half and right half with a Centre half and we just have to have Hughes and Smithy in a side somewhere.
      Kopite78
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2016 08:23:06 pm
      This is one where we have an abundance of talent to talk about

I grew up with my earliest memories of Hansen and Lawro and I  think you would struggle to find a finer pair in the game at the time, Hansen was the reader of the game, a modern day ball player who would bring the ball out and stride into midfield. Lawro the last ditch tackler, always there with the block or the tackle behind

Then into the likes of Gillespie and Ablett who had big shoes to fill but were good defenders

A slight dirge came after with the likes of Torben Piecknik and Glenn Hysen who struggled with the English game and expectation

Ruddock, Babb and Scales played in Evo's team in a 3 at the back but all struggled to keep up with the hype, Ruddock had a wand of a left foot to be fair but let himself down off the field and with his fitness levels on it. Phil Babb was signed as a star of the '94 World Cup but never got to those levels and is best remembered for him and a goal post getting tender against Chelsea. John Scales I actually liked but just couldn't find consistency, held the lovely nicknames of James Bond or posh c**t due to his accent  :D

Then came what became a very good partnership between Stephen Henchoz and Sami Hyppia, probably our best partnership at that point since Jockey and Lawro and in a similar mould.. Sami wasn't a ball carrier but was front foot, won the lot whilst Henchoz was the last ditch tackler ala Lawro... However did look fu**ed and red faced after 4 minutes on a regular basis and had both hands on his knees blowing by about 18mins ever game

Carra then came into the reckoning but was mainly used at RB then LB in the 2001 treble season before moving to CB to ultimately replace Henchoz eventually becoming the second highest apparence maker for the Reds.. A true legend imo

Recently  retired Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel were the next established cbs, I was a big fan of Agger but he just couldn't stay fit enough to be classed as one of the best.. Martin I have never been his biggest fan, a good defender but not too level, too many flaws, dropped too deep, rash in the tackle at times, got too close in the box to the attacker which left him vulnerable and led to him grabbing hold too often. But that said over 300 games for the club.

The latest around are Lovren and Sakho, but too early to judge but neither would get into my consideration

For me though, my two I've watched?

Hansen. Probably the best defender I've seen, an utter rolls Royce

Carragher. You don't make 737 apparence a for this club if you aren't great, I loved everything about the lad and if I had to pick an all time two the Carra of 2005 would get in it

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2016 08:23:21 pm
      Top of my list of those would be Babb, how he ever managed to play so many games so badly is a question only Babb's wife (and possibly Roy Evans) could possibly know the answer to.   

I saw Babb score for Liverpool at Coventry and sang that MOTD ditty that he had!!

Guilty secret :laugh:

I'd still have Kvarme as one of our worst centre-backs, he was F***ing grim, the sight of him and Razor getting torn a new arsehole at Goodison by Cadamarteri still gives me a shudder.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2016 08:29:11 pm
      The Mighty Emlyn and Carragher.

(Cant be arsed )  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 07:56:36 am by eurored »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jun 13, 2016 08:30:27 pm
      I saw Babb score for Liverpool at Coventry and sang that MOTD ditty that he had!!

Guilty secret :laugh:

I'd still have Kvarme as one of our worst centre-backs, he was f**king grim, the sight of him and Razor getting torn a new arsehole at Goodison by Cadamarteri still gives me a shudder.

Yeah I remember that game mate, I actually thought Kvarme was o.k. till that game... neither me or Kvarme ever recovered.

I think that no doubt some of our other bloody awful CB's were probably worse than Babb, it was just the number of games he played which puts him in a category on his own for me.   
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jun 13, 2016 08:36:16 pm
      Hansen and Tommo for me although it's a tough one with so many to choose from but I think we won more with those 2 than with Hansen and Lawro.  I will gladly hold my hands up if that proves to be wrong though.

Those mentioning our beloved "crazy horse" I always saw him as a midfielder, a proper number 6 and that's where he'll get my vote  ;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2016 08:37:01 pm

I think that no doubt some of our other bloody awful CB's were probably worse than Babb, it was just the number of games he played which puts him in a category on his own for me.   

Agree S@int, he was just averagely sh*te for well over a hundred games for the club

Just remember the hype after the World Cup when ROI beat Italy 1-0 and he marked Baggio out of the game, everyone said he was F***ing boss, we signed him for a record for a CB at the time I believe, £3.6m and he was just sh*te
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2016 08:42:12 pm
      Yeah I remember that game mate, I actually thought Kvarme was o.k. till that game... neither me or Kvarme ever recovered.

That and the fact our scouts were sold on him due to Paul McGrath being so good for the Irish in the 94 World Cup.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: Jun 13, 2016 08:48:50 pm
      Between Hyppia, Carragher, Hansen.

I'd have to go Hansen and Carragher.

And how has Phil Babb been mentioned so many times without...

Still makes me shudder:

https://youtu.be/1n32GhR7m_8

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2016 08:52:54 pm
      In my era Carragher, Hyypia, Agger in that order.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2016 08:56:35 pm
      Just remember the hype after the World Cup when ROI beat Italy 1-0 and he marked Baggio out of the game, everyone said he was f**king boss, we signed him for a record for a CB at the time I believe, £3.6m and he was just sh*te

We must have the worst record in the world for buying sh*te based on a couple of games in a World Cup.
      Kopite78
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2016 09:05:47 pm
      We must have the worst record in the world for buying sh*te based on a couple of games in a World Cup.

Defo....

You seem to be laying the groundwork though for African wide forwards and holding mids

:D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2016 09:10:12 pm
      Had some greats there over the years but going to stick to voting for players in my lifetime and Carragher is there all the way for me.

Not the classiest defender, but he epitomised what it is to be a Liverpool player for me, even more than Stevie.

His levels of consistent were just something else, once he got moved to CB he never looked back, love the guy.

And it's an easy one for who I pair him with, Big Sami, what a partnership those two had and Hypiia has to be one of our best ever signings. Also not forgetting how graceful he was when the armband got passed to Stevie, no sulking he just got on with it.

Remember on his last game and Rafa never started him, subbed him in with seconds to go, gutted I was as I wanted to see him out there one last time.

Honourable mention to Henchoz who was also brilliant, but wasn't at the level of the other 2.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #18: Jun 14, 2016 12:02:22 am
      Easy this one, Hansen and Lawrenson. Majestic
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Jun 14, 2016 12:11:59 am
      Sorry, forgot carra !
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #20: Jun 14, 2016 12:24:12 am
      Alan Hansen was the best in my time like someone mentioned he was the Rolls Royce.  Partner him with Thompson as he preferred. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #21: Jun 14, 2016 12:27:22 am
      Good man JD for starting this one off as I've been snowed under in work and totally forgot.

For me its Hansen plus one other.

Haven't made my mind up yet but at CB we have has some quality over the years and another interesting one to see how we shape up after vote time.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Jun 14, 2016 12:38:59 am
      Would have loved to be around at the times Ron Yeats the man Shankly famously used as a manikin for the new all red kit. Along with St John they started what we are blessed with as a club. I also think I'd have been a big admirer of Emlyn Hughes from what I've seen and heard he was a player but this was nothing compared to his energy and will to win.

The main man at the back when I started supporting was Alan Hansen and up to press I've yet to see anyone better. As an above poster said he was a Rolls Royce, his reading of the game put him light years ahead of most forwards how he got so few caps for Scotland is an absolute travesty. The only decision I have is who plays alongside Jockey.

I only saw the back end of Lawro's days so my starting point would be Gary Gillespie who I thought was a very talented and often under rated defender. Then came the dark years of the early 90's boy did we have some belters back there! I would like to give a shout to Mark Wright though who's career with us was so stop start due to injury it was unreal. I do recollect him making Premier League team of the year one year though when he managed to stay clear of injury if memory serves.

We were so in need of a leader at the back when along came the Great Finn, from the moment he put the red shirt on I loved Sami he was ice cool. Was a major threat in both boxes and although he was never blessed with pace what he had upstairs meant it didn't matter one bit. We picked him up for an absolute steal and he proved to be for me in terms of what we needed at the time and the transfer fee paid, the best signing in our Premier League history. What I think I liked most about Sami was the way he reacted to being striped of the armband to give it to Stevie, he could have sulked and moved on but for me he grew even more influential.

And then there's Carra! It's gotta be Sami or Carra alongside Hansen but which one? A mate of mine went through Lilleshall with Carra and what a player but more so what a character. He was moved about early in his career and was berated by our own at times for his performances at full back but when he moved inside alongside Sami it was like we'd signed a whole new player. His hunger to win was second to none, when I think Carra Istanbul springs immediately to mind. How he was throwing himself about to block some of them balls in extra time with cramp in both legs was something to behold.

Loved Dagger and feel he could have been the best of the lot but injuries killed football of seeing something very special imo, still remember being on the Kop when it looked like he was leaving (was it to City??) we sung his name throughout and I really think if he was unsure about the move when swayed him back a red. Loved the tattoo'd knuckles ;D

It falls down to styles for me Hansen is a must and I can't play Sami alongside him so it's gotta be Carra but all 3 should be held up there with any great centre backs. 

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 12:50:13 am by Fowler#23 »

Quick Reply