Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your TWO greatest ever LFC central defenders

Phil Thompson
      (5.1%)
      Emlyn Hughes
      (7%)
      Ron Yeats
      (2.3%)
      Alan Hansen
      (30.1%)
      Mark Lawrenson
      (3.5%)
      Sami Hyypia
      (23.8%)
      Gary Gillespie
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (23%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2%)
      Stephane Henchoz
      (0.4%)
      Tommy Smith
      (2.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence

Read 11491 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Jun 13, 2016 07:51:25 pm
      Keeper done, left back and right back down, now it's time to get down to the big boys at the back.

When the poll goes up you will be able to select two players from what will be an extensive list given the talent we have had at centre back.

I do not know how we can find better than John Scales and Torben Piechnik though.  :f_whistle:

Who are your nominations for LFC's best ever centre-backs?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever LFC Team: Central Defence
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2016 07:53:32 pm
      Hansen and lawrenson with mentions for yeats, Phil Thompson, emlyn hughes, hyppia, henchoz and torben piechnik
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2016 07:55:04 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2016 08:06:50 pm
      Keeper done, left back and right back down, now it's time to get down to the big boys at the back.

When the poll goes up you will be able to select two players from what will be an extensive list given the talent we have had at centre back.

I do not know how we can find better than John Scales and Torben Piechnik though.  :f_whistle:

Who are your nominations for LFC's best ever centre-backs?

Bjorn Tore Kvarme and Frode Kippe!!

Yeats, Hughes, Smith, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson, Gillespie, Hyypia, Carragher

There that should cover it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2016 08:13:11 pm
      Hansen and Lawrenson, but Hansen always said he preferred playing with Thompson to Lawrenson because Thompson was happy to take all the knocks and high balls which Alan and Mark weren't too keen on.

Another position where we have been blessed over the years, but had our fair share of poor players too.

Top of my list of those would be Babb, how he ever managed to play so many games so badly is a question only Babb's wife (and possibly Roy Evans) could possibly know the answer to.   

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2016 08:21:37 pm
      Thomo and Hansen was it something like 17 goals in 42 league  games. Start with Genesis and big Ron and then up to and including Sami and Jamie.
      But we used to have left half and right half with a Centre half and we just have to have Hughes and Smithy in a side somewhere.
      Kopite78
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2016 08:23:06 pm
      This is one where we have an abundance of talent to talk about

I grew up with my earliest memories of Hansen and Lawro and I  think you would struggle to find a finer pair in the game at the time, Hansen was the reader of the game, a modern day ball player who would bring the ball out and stride into midfield. Lawro the last ditch tackler, always there with the block or the tackle behind

Then into the likes of Gillespie and Ablett who had big shoes to fill but were good defenders

A slight dirge came after with the likes of Torben Piecknik and Glenn Hysen who struggled with the English game and expectation

Ruddock, Babb and Scales played in Evo's team in a 3 at the back but all struggled to keep up with the hype, Ruddock had a wand of a left foot to be fair but let himself down off the field and with his fitness levels on it. Phil Babb was signed as a star of the '94 World Cup but never got to those levels and is best remembered for him and a goal post getting tender against Chelsea. John Scales I actually liked but just couldn't find consistency, held the lovely nicknames of James Bond or posh c**t due to his accent  :D

Then came what became a very good partnership between Stephen Henchoz and Sami Hyppia, probably our best partnership at that point since Jockey and Lawro and in a similar mould.. Sami wasn't a ball carrier but was front foot, won the lot whilst Henchoz was the last ditch tackler ala Lawro... However did look fu**ed and red faced after 4 minutes on a regular basis and had both hands on his knees blowing by about 18mins ever game

Carra then came into the reckoning but was mainly used at RB then LB in the 2001 treble season before moving to CB to ultimately replace Henchoz eventually becoming the second highest apparence maker for the Reds.. A true legend imo

Recently  retired Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel were the next established cbs, I was a big fan of Agger but he just couldn't stay fit enough to be classed as one of the best.. Martin I have never been his biggest fan, a good defender but not too level, too many flaws, dropped too deep, rash in the tackle at times, got too close in the box to the attacker which left him vulnerable and led to him grabbing hold too often. But that said over 300 games for the club.

The latest around are Lovren and Sakho, but too early to judge but neither would get into my consideration

For me though, my two I've watched?

Hansen. Probably the best defender I've seen, an utter rolls Royce

Carragher. You don't make 737 apparence a for this club if you aren't great, I loved everything about the lad and if I had to pick an all time two the Carra of 2005 would get in it

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2016 08:23:21 pm
      Top of my list of those would be Babb, how he ever managed to play so many games so badly is a question only Babb's wife (and possibly Roy Evans) could possibly know the answer to.   

I saw Babb score for Liverpool at Coventry and sang that MOTD ditty that he had!!

Guilty secret :laugh:

I'd still have Kvarme as one of our worst centre-backs, he was F***ing grim, the sight of him and Razor getting torn a new arsehole at Goodison by Cadamarteri still gives me a shudder.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2016 08:29:11 pm
      The Mighty Emlyn and Carragher.

(Cant be arsed )  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 07:56:36 am by eurored »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jun 13, 2016 08:30:27 pm
      I saw Babb score for Liverpool at Coventry and sang that MOTD ditty that he had!!

Guilty secret :laugh:

I'd still have Kvarme as one of our worst centre-backs, he was f**king grim, the sight of him and Razor getting torn a new arsehole at Goodison by Cadamarteri still gives me a shudder.

Yeah I remember that game mate, I actually thought Kvarme was o.k. till that game... neither me or Kvarme ever recovered.

I think that no doubt some of our other bloody awful CB's were probably worse than Babb, it was just the number of games he played which puts him in a category on his own for me.   
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jun 13, 2016 08:36:16 pm
      Hansen and Tommo for me although it's a tough one with so many to choose from but I think we won more with those 2 than with Hansen and Lawro.  I will gladly hold my hands up if that proves to be wrong though.

Those mentioning our beloved "crazy horse" I always saw him as a midfielder, a proper number 6 and that's where he'll get my vote  ;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2016 08:37:01 pm

I think that no doubt some of our other bloody awful CB's were probably worse than Babb, it was just the number of games he played which puts him in a category on his own for me.   

Agree S@int, he was just averagely sh*te for well over a hundred games for the club

Just remember the hype after the World Cup when ROI beat Italy 1-0 and he marked Baggio out of the game, everyone said he was F***ing boss, we signed him for a record for a CB at the time I believe, £3.6m and he was just sh*te
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2016 08:42:12 pm
      Yeah I remember that game mate, I actually thought Kvarme was o.k. till that game... neither me or Kvarme ever recovered.

That and the fact our scouts were sold on him due to Paul McGrath being so good for the Irish in the 94 World Cup.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: Jun 13, 2016 08:48:50 pm
      Between Hyppia, Carragher, Hansen.

I'd have to go Hansen and Carragher.

And how has Phil Babb been mentioned so many times without...

Still makes me shudder:

https://youtu.be/1n32GhR7m_8

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2016 08:52:54 pm
      In my era Carragher, Hyypia, Agger in that order.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2016 08:56:35 pm
      Just remember the hype after the World Cup when ROI beat Italy 1-0 and he marked Baggio out of the game, everyone said he was f**king boss, we signed him for a record for a CB at the time I believe, £3.6m and he was just sh*te

We must have the worst record in the world for buying sh*te based on a couple of games in a World Cup.
      Kopite78
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2016 09:05:47 pm
      We must have the worst record in the world for buying sh*te based on a couple of games in a World Cup.

Defo....

You seem to be laying the groundwork though for African wide forwards and holding mids

:D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2016 09:10:12 pm
      Had some greats there over the years but going to stick to voting for players in my lifetime and Carragher is there all the way for me.

Not the classiest defender, but he epitomised what it is to be a Liverpool player for me, even more than Stevie.

His levels of consistent were just something else, once he got moved to CB he never looked back, love the guy.

And it's an easy one for who I pair him with, Big Sami, what a partnership those two had and Hypiia has to be one of our best ever signings. Also not forgetting how graceful he was when the armband got passed to Stevie, no sulking he just got on with it.

Remember on his last game and Rafa never started him, subbed him in with seconds to go, gutted I was as I wanted to see him out there one last time.

Honourable mention to Henchoz who was also brilliant, but wasn't at the level of the other 2.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #18: Jun 14, 2016 12:02:22 am
      Easy this one, Hansen and Lawrenson. Majestic
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Jun 14, 2016 12:11:59 am
      Sorry, forgot carra !
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #20: Jun 14, 2016 12:24:12 am
      Alan Hansen was the best in my time like someone mentioned he was the Rolls Royce.  Partner him with Thompson as he preferred. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #21: Jun 14, 2016 12:27:22 am
      Good man JD for starting this one off as I've been snowed under in work and totally forgot.

For me its Hansen plus one other.

Haven't made my mind up yet but at CB we have has some quality over the years and another interesting one to see how we shape up after vote time.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Jun 14, 2016 12:38:59 am
      Would have loved to be around at the times Ron Yeats the man Shankly famously used as a manikin for the new all red kit. Along with St John they started what we are blessed with as a club. I also think I'd have been a big admirer of Emlyn Hughes from what I've seen and heard he was a player but this was nothing compared to his energy and will to win.

The main man at the back when I started supporting was Alan Hansen and up to press I've yet to see anyone better. As an above poster said he was a Rolls Royce, his reading of the game put him light years ahead of most forwards how he got so few caps for Scotland is an absolute travesty. The only decision I have is who plays alongside Jockey.

I only saw the back end of Lawro's days so my starting point would be Gary Gillespie who I thought was a very talented and often under rated defender. Then came the dark years of the early 90's boy did we have some belters back there! I would like to give a shout to Mark Wright though who's career with us was so stop start due to injury it was unreal. I do recollect him making Premier League team of the year one year though when he managed to stay clear of injury if memory serves.

We were so in need of a leader at the back when along came the Great Finn, from the moment he put the red shirt on I loved Sami he was ice cool. Was a major threat in both boxes and although he was never blessed with pace what he had upstairs meant it didn't matter one bit. We picked him up for an absolute steal and he proved to be for me in terms of what we needed at the time and the transfer fee paid, the best signing in our Premier League history. What I think I liked most about Sami was the way he reacted to being striped of the armband to give it to Stevie, he could have sulked and moved on but for me he grew even more influential.

And then there's Carra! It's gotta be Sami or Carra alongside Hansen but which one? A mate of mine went through Lilleshall with Carra and what a player but more so what a character. He was moved about early in his career and was berated by our own at times for his performances at full back but when he moved inside alongside Sami it was like we'd signed a whole new player. His hunger to win was second to none, when I think Carra Istanbul springs immediately to mind. How he was throwing himself about to block some of them balls in extra time with cramp in both legs was something to behold.

Loved Dagger and feel he could have been the best of the lot but injuries killed football of seeing something very special imo, still remember being on the Kop when it looked like he was leaving (was it to City??) we sung his name throughout and I really think if he was unsure about the move when swayed him back a red. Loved the tattoo'd knuckles ;D

It falls down to styles for me Hansen is a must and I can't play Sami alongside him so it's gotta be Carra but all 3 should be held up there with any great centre backs. 

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016 12:50:13 am by Fowler#23 »
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #23: Jun 14, 2016 01:28:26 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why, dont really need to anyway!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Jun 14, 2016 01:32:20 am
      Here lies a problem for me,in old money we used to have a right half,centre half and left half.Now going back many years  I would have a half back line of Phil Taylor.Laurie Hughes and Bob Paisley in their prime.Now if I am just looking for a centre half it would be between Big Rowdy Yeats and Alan Hansen,while Rowdy was a stopper Hansen was a creator as well.For me Hansen would be the pick.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 14, 2016 01:41:36 am
      Oh Jesus now we are spoilt for choice. So so difficult. Like Si and so many more it's a case of Hansen plus another and that other is one of Hyypia or Carragher and I'm struggling to pick one over the other! (can we go three at the back?! :D )
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #26: Jun 14, 2016 01:52:53 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why

That's the spirit. :roll:
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Jun 14, 2016 02:10:27 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why, dont really need to anyway!

Oh!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Jun 14, 2016 08:01:28 am
      Here lies a problem for me,in old money we used to have a right half,centre half and left half.Now going back many years  I would have a half back line of Phil Taylor.Laurie Hughes and Bob Paisley in their prime.Now if I am just looking for a centre half it would be between Big Rowdy Yeats and Alan Hansen,while Rowdy was a stopper Hansen was a creator as well.For me Hansen would be the pick.

and for me Bill.

the old   1-2-3-5  formation starting with the goalie.
      So yes Id be looking at three half backs.

In new money although not as a pairing Ive already posted Emlyn and Carra for different reasons.

Just wait till we get to Cally and Thompson as Wingers ?   
      Who ?

;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #29: Jun 14, 2016 08:09:27 am
      As has been said its jocky and one other .cant remember  big Ron playing but as shanks said a collosus for us , torn between  two at the moment .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Jun 14, 2016 08:35:14 am
      and for me Bill.

the old   1-2-3-5  formation starting with the goalie.
      So yes Id be looking at three half backs.

In new money although not as a pairing Ive already posted Emlyn and Carra for different reasons.

Just wait till we get to Cally and Thompson as Wingers ?   
      Who ?

;D

I don't think there will be any competition for Cally seeing as he played over 600 games for us under such astute managers as Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #31: Jun 14, 2016 09:37:52 am
      Hansen
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #32: Jun 14, 2016 10:37:20 am
      Hansen for sure but then I'm completely torn between Carragher and Hyypia. Both absolute club legends but what a buy Hyypia was! I'd probably give him the nod over Carragher in terms of defending but Carragher put his body on the line more times than most with his challenges.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #33: Jun 14, 2016 10:43:02 am
      Gary Gillespie was another quality CB who I don't think has been mentioned yet.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jun 14, 2016 11:21:14 am

good shout mate another very cultured CB in the mould of Agger.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,521 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #35: Jun 14, 2016 12:52:09 pm

Fair enough, gets my vote(s)!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #36: Jun 14, 2016 01:02:37 pm
      I'll go with what I watched.

Hyypia-Carra for me because I've been a Liverpool fan since 1999-2000 (younger generation type) as I have not witnessed the other defenders before hand to make judgment.

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #37: Jun 14, 2016 01:19:29 pm
      Has to be Carra and Hansen.

Carra always put himself in the line of fire without hesitation and Hansen was just pure class especially bringing the ball out of defence.

Sammi runs them close though.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #38: Jun 14, 2016 01:34:59 pm

Cant argue with this!

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #39: Jun 14, 2016 04:45:47 pm
      Comfortably Carragher and Hyypia from what I've seen. No one else in this century comes close.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #40: Jun 14, 2016 06:17:15 pm
      Another tough decision seeing as we've had some outstanding central defenders,my picks are Hansen who was just as good with a ball as he was without it
      He had everything,my other pick is carra ,the guy needs no introduction or explanation,you just need to mention his name to any red and you'll get a 101 or more  reasons why he is held in such high regard amongst us reds.
      I can give a fair few honourable
      Mentions but I'm just going to name one and that is the big fin
      Sami hyypia,as rowdy once said
      He really was one of the best bits of business we've ever done when we signed him for a pittance,he helped us win ten trophies in the ten years he was with us & that's an amazing achievement.
      Each & everyone of us has an everlasting memory regarding past players and one of mine is big sami's last game at anfield against Spurs in 2009,I really was teary eyed that day.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #41: Jun 14, 2016 06:51:33 pm
      Probably the first position thus far that there's a real chance somebody who made their debut in the Premier League era will get into the side. And I don't need to give a run down of possible choices that I didn't see because I've seen enough in my lifetime to make the decision.

I think poor Stephane Henchoz has been getting a bit overlooked here. I F***ing loved that fella and alonside Sami, they were a fantastic pairing. Without their defending, and in Steph's case goalkeeping, we wouldn't of won the treble in 2001. A real unsung hero for the club and I think is overlooked as much as he is because of how good Sami was.

Before that of course was Mark Wright. One of the best defenders I've seen and the only shining light in Roy Evans' back three (four if you include that F***ing clown James in goal). Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, early days of Dom Matteo. Just a really poor bunch of defenders except for Wright. Captain as well, a genuine leader.

Danny Agger who is fondly remembered and with his recent retirement, will probably get a few more votes than he actually should. Decent enough defender and very classy on the eye but far too inconsistent to be a genuine contender for this team in my opinion.

But the picks have to be Sami and Carra (for post 1989 - before that I'd go Carra and Hansen or Hughes and Hansen). Sami, for me, is the best signing the club has ever made. At a time when money was just starting to get mad and at a time when the foreign influx was becoming more popular, we find a complete unknown who goes onto become one of the all time greats.

Two and a half million, followed by a decade of excellent service. More appearances than any other foreign outfield player (second only to Brucie). Top professional, rather than sulk when he lost the captaincy he gave Gerrard all the support he needed and remained at the club for a further six years. Won everything with the club, with one obvious exception, leader, the last centre half we had who knew how to head a ball, chipped in with a few goals to. And the emotion he showed after his final game was so touching.

Then there's Carra. No cause was a lost cause with him, he'd throw everything he could to keep the ball out of our net. Vocal, organiser, dedicated, loyal. Second only to Cally in number of appearances. Another who won everything with the club, with that one exception. An the support he's shown the club both during and after his career is great.

So for me it's Sami and Carra, comfortably. Steph Henchoz, third choice though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Jun 14, 2016 08:23:17 pm
      I know and understand  people vote for those who they have seen but what if we end up with no Shankly players in this team. Larry Lloyd hasn't been mentioned but went on to win a CL with Forest. When Big Ron played we had 1 CB and two halfbacks and two fullbacks.
      Are we going to have a team without Emlyn Hughes in it
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Jun 14, 2016 08:52:24 pm
      The Mighty Emlyn and Carragher.

(Cant be arsed ) 

Must be old age mate   ;D   >:D  ;D

YNWA
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jun 14, 2016 08:56:47 pm
      Not mad about him as a pundit, but would probably put Hansen top of the CB pile.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #45: Jun 14, 2016 09:24:26 pm
      Been f***in dreading the CB elements of this fantastic topic,

We have been so blessed down the decades with candidates in abundance, we are all familiar with their names from Yates through to Carragher, with real class and worldly's in between, how the F**k do you choose between the Anfield Iron Tommy Smith, and then mention Phil Thompson, how can you opt for Crazy horse and then remember Jocky Hansen, who can forget that solid partnership of Sami H and Stephane Henchoz, then there is s*n loving Lawro and Gary Gillespie, the list is almost impossible to sort through,...

....I think tho posters should opt for who they have actually seen live, so in my case my two would have to be Hansen/ Carragher, but feel very very guilty for leaving out Sami, special mentions for Tommy Smith, they broke the mould when Tommy was born, Phil Thompson, Scouse thru and thru and obviously bleeds Liverpool red, and Crazy Horse Emlyn Hughes, always, always gave absolutely everything, and who can ever forget that smile, so my CB's with much consideration are ,

Alan Hansen & Jamie Carragher, which completes the back five......

Bruce Grobbelaar
              Steve Nicol     Alan Hansen     Jamie Carragher   Alan Kennedy.....

Try and get past that lot ??

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #46: Jun 14, 2016 10:02:57 pm

Must be old age mate   ;D   >:D  ;D

YNWA

Dont push it ...

;D

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #47: Jun 14, 2016 10:04:30 pm
      I know and understand  people vote for those who they have seen but what if we end up with no Shankly players in this team. Larry Lloyd hasn't been mentioned but went on to win a CL with Forest. When Big Ron played we had 1 CB and two halfbacks and two fullbacks.
      Are we going to have a team without Emlyn Hughes in it

Depends on whether the pass back /  goalkeeper pick up rule applies for me mate..
      If it doesn't apply then Hughes and Thompson get my nod... the masters of playing out time at the back
      If it does then Carragher and Hansen...

difficult one this...might change my mind yet.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Jun 15, 2016 10:48:21 am
      Hansen as No1

then it gets so tricky

Thompson. Hughes. Lawrenson. Hyypia. Carragher.
      And going further back, Yeats and Tommy Smith

Probably go lawro.

But we have had some great players down the years.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #49: Jun 15, 2016 10:49:43 am

Bruce Grobbelaar

Try and get past that lot ??

YNWA

That is a beast of a back five for sure
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #50: Jun 15, 2016 10:56:38 am

Bruce Grobbelaar

Vs (as an alternative)
                                            Ray Clemence
            Phil Neal           Phil Thompson   Mark Lawrenson     Steve Staunton

YNWA

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #51: Jun 15, 2016 03:25:16 pm
      Seems like Hansen has got about 90 percent of the vote and I don't think anyone can really disagree with that. In terms of a more modern, Premier League era, I'd go with Hyypia. As good as Carragher was at his best, Sami always seemed a touch smart and a better organizer. Easily one of the best signings we've made in the last 25 years.

Not too sure how they'd work as a partnership, but Hansen and Hyypia would be very interesting to see.
      Kopite78
      Reply #52: Jun 15, 2016 04:30:44 pm
      Seems like Hansen has got about 90 percent of the vote and I don't think anyone can really disagree with that. In terms of a more modern, Premier League era, I'd go with Hyypia. As good as Carragher was at his best, Sami always seemed a touch smart and a better organizer. Easily one of the best signings we've made in the last 25 years.

Not too sure how they'd work as a partnership, but Hansen and Hyypia would be very interesting to see.

Good players would always find a way to play together.. And those are two top players.
      Hansen said in an interview I read once that he preferred playing with Thompson as he would go win all the headers that he didn't want to and neither did Lawro so I think those two would work well truth be told, Hansen as the ball player, dropping off with Sami winning everything front foot ala Thommo

I went with Carra over Sami but there wasn't much in it
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #53: Jun 15, 2016 06:07:13 pm
      One of the areas we've been blessed in down the years. I'd say the Carra and Hyypia partnership was the best, marginally scraping in ahead of Hansen and Lawrenson, but if you're asking for a single player than Hyypia.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #54: Jun 15, 2016 06:22:28 pm
      Good players would always find a way to play together.. And those are two top players.
      Hansen said in an interview I read once that he preferred playing with Thompson as he would go win all the headers that he didn't want to and neither did Lawro so I think those two would work well truth be told, Hansen as the ball player, dropping off with Sami winning everything front foot ala Thommo

I went with Carra over Sami but there wasn't much in it

One of the areas we've been blessed in down the years. I'd say the Carra and Hyypia partnership was the best, marginally scraping in ahead of Hansen and Lawrenson, but if you're asking for a single player than Hyypia.

Yeah that's the thing. You really can't go wrong with whomever you pick. We've been pretty blessed at CB position.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #55: Jun 15, 2016 10:14:02 pm

I think Hansen and Hyypia would have been class together.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #56: Jun 16, 2016 04:39:16 pm
      Alan Hansen and Jamie Carragher for me, Jocky for his silky smooth skills, never looked ruffled or hurried and I used to love the way he carried the ball out of defence and moved the ball forward, Sami played very like Hansen and that's why I have to give him massive credit too...Carra was just solid as, not a lot got passed him in his prime and I just loved the way he throwed his body on the line time and time again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #57: Jun 16, 2016 06:04:56 pm

Threw a shout for him on the first page.

Loved his celebration in the 5-0 demolition of Forest after he scored.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #58: Jun 16, 2016 06:51:11 pm
      I think Hansen and Hyypia would have been class together.

how much would they cost us now £100mil plus if Stones is worth £50mil then they  must be worth far more
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #59: Jun 17, 2016 02:41:41 am
      Threw a shout for him on the first page.

Loved his celebration in the 5-0 demolition of Forest after he scored.
      So did I very underestimated defender.

The old exaggerated point H.D I remember it well. Still the most complete display of football I've ever seen that 5-0.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #60: Jun 17, 2016 05:32:12 am
      Easy choice for me this one, It's got to be Hansen and Sami!
      Sami was like a gift from God when he arrived. He was the type of big central defender wed been missing since Hansen retired.
      Hansen imo was the complete defender, he had every quality needed to play that position, and had great leadership skills to boot.
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2016 05:42:13 am by ORCHARD RED »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #61: Jun 17, 2016 09:35:22 am
      Defenders[edit]
      England Emlyn Hughes
      Wales Joey Jones
      England Brian Kettle
      England Colin Irwin
      England Phil Neal
      Scotland Alan Hansen
      England Phil Thompson
      England Alan Kennedy
      this lot let in 16 league goals in 1978/79 in a 42 league season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #62: Jun 17, 2016 11:43:52 am
      Voting now open.  You can select two defenders.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #63: Jun 17, 2016 01:19:21 pm
      Ok I have got my short list down to 9
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #64: Jun 17, 2016 08:39:40 pm
      Ok I have got my short list down to 9

Who you think your picks are going to be Walt?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #65: Jun 17, 2016 08:42:14 pm
      I can see who is winning this one unlike the other ones.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Jun 17, 2016 08:59:55 pm
      Who you think your picks are going to be Walt?

It will not be ROn Yeats or Smithy as good as they where we have got some talent on that list. I am inclined to go for Thomo and Hansen but that might change
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #67: Jun 18, 2016 01:24:48 am
      I like Carragher, I do, but no way in hell was he one of our best. You look at the list of defenders we had, sorry no, Carragher was committed yes, quality? no. I would even go so far as to say if he didnt have passion for this club and a local, he would be like Skrtel.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #68: Jun 18, 2016 07:05:41 am
      I like Carragher, I do, but no way in hell was he one of our best. You look at the list of defenders we had, sorry no, Carragher was committed yes, quality? no. I would even go so far as to say if he didnt have passion for this club and a local, he would be like Skrtel.

Do one. You don't rack up that many appearances under so many different managers without being absolute top quality.

At his peak absolutely nothing for past him (except Thierry Henry who did him on a regular basis :D)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #69: Jun 18, 2016 08:06:41 am

Your arse must be getting jealous with the amount of sh*te coming out of your gob fella!!

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #70: Jun 18, 2016 08:23:47 am

Hard to see how you came to the conclusion that he wasn't one of our best, if you've been watching him all those years, maybe you're a new supporter that didn't get to watch him in his prime. And as for being a Skrtel? Skrtel was actually a good player for us before he went to sh*t.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #71: Jun 18, 2016 11:31:54 am
      Gone with Hansen & Hyypia but I loved Hughes too..

Triple H for me :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #72: Jun 18, 2016 01:44:27 pm
      Very surprised that Lawrenson hasn't got more votes. c**t of a man but a wonderful defender and footballer in his day and for a while was the equal if not better than Hansen.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #73: Jun 18, 2016 05:20:13 pm
      Best partnership I've witnessed, without a doubt = Hansen & Lawrenson but as Lawrenson irritates the F**k clean out of me...

Alan Hansen & Sami Hyypia  >:D

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #74: Jun 18, 2016 06:08:31 pm
      Do one. You don't rack up that many appearances under so many different managers without being absolute top quality.

At his peak absolutely nothing for past him (except Thierry Henry who did him on a regular basis :D)

He's right though about the first bit, there 's no way on Earth Carragher or Hyypia get in ahead of the likes of Thompson, Hughes or Lawrenson to partner Hansen!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #75: Jun 18, 2016 06:16:59 pm
      Hansen was real quality in the Liverpool defence.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #76: Jun 18, 2016 08:33:30 pm
      If you pick Hansen, that will be the end of it, I will not look for you, I will not Pursue you, but if you don't pick Hansen, I will look for you,............ I will find you...........and I will kill you!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #77: Jun 18, 2016 11:24:32 pm
      Hard to see how you came to the conclusion that he wasn't one of our best, if you've been watching him all those years, maybe you're a new supporter that didn't get to watch him in his prime. And as for being a Skrtel? Skrtel was actually a good player for us before he went to sh*t.

I didnt mean to sound as if I have no respect for the lad, I do, he gave 100% every game and thats all any of us ask, comparing him to Skrtel for me is about right, they both reached a peak that they didnt maintain to make them legendary defenders.

I chose Hansen as I was raised watching him, and I chose Hyypia as I believe he is one of our more modern day defenders that was truly brilliant.

However I just dont see Carragher as one of our best ever defenders.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #78: Jun 19, 2016 09:57:56 am
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Finally a category i can vote in where my picks are a chance of being named :D

Sami was everything. Carra just a shade behind. Probably win the league if Carra stayed on with us and he sorted out our defence.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #79: Jun 19, 2016 10:05:39 am
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Sami was everything. Carra just a shade behind. Probably win the league if Carra stayed on with us and he sorted out our defence.

I went for the same mate, although was tempted by Henchoz as he and Sami had a better partnership than Sami and Carra I think.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #80: Jun 19, 2016 12:30:45 pm
      Went with Hansen and Phil Thommo in the end.. tough one that!

Next !
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #81: Jun 20, 2016 09:38:54 am
      I didnt mean to sound as if I have no respect for the lad, I do, he gave 100% every game and thats all any of us ask, comparing him to Skrtel for me is about right, they both reached a peak that they didnt maintain to make them legendary defenders.

I chose Hansen as I was raised watching him, and I chose Hyypia as I believe he is one of our more modern day defenders that was truly brilliant.

However I just dont see Carragher as one of our best ever defenders.

Think Carragher is/was legendary for the club personally. On ability.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #82: Jun 20, 2016 04:55:24 pm
      Sami is the one for me, followed closely by Hansen, with the mighty Ron Yeats just after.

I don't think that Hansen, a Rolls Royce of a player. would have been as good as he was without Lawro. A great combination. Oh, to have them back now. But I'd even give that up to see Sami playing in our defence once more.

Ron was of  different age, and the typical giant, hard centre half, who I would have hated playing against.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #83: Jun 20, 2016 05:00:04 pm
      Remember big Ron great centre half, from when I first started following the Reds, way back in 1965.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Jun 20, 2016 05:30:27 pm
      Have to say when you see images and footage of Ron Yeats in his prime then he really looks fearsome and no doubt played similarly. Incredible giant!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #85: Jun 20, 2016 06:00:26 pm
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Just think that is exactly what used to happen with Yeats, Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie.

That's why they should all be picked above Carra and Hyypia.

My own personal choice was Hansen and Hughes.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #86: Jun 20, 2016 06:08:29 pm
      Just think that is exactly what used to happen with Yeats, Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie.

That's why they should all be picked above Carra and Hyypia.

My own personal choice was Hansen and Hughes.

that was my pick too I had to pick Hughes and you cant leave at Hansen but I found it hard to leave out Thomo we have been blessed with some incredible talent in central defence cant see any of the present lot getting into the best team.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #87: Jun 24, 2016 11:15:01 am
      Being a relatively young red, the best CB I have ever seen at the club is Sami.

It's going to be unpopular me saying this but I didn't rate Carragher as highly as the majority of our support did. I felt Carragher got away with a lot because he's local lad. As a footballer I thought he was basic at best and I always thought it was a bit of a myth that he was some fantastic defender and organiser.  He was exposed whenever he played at full back that's for sure and he only played well in the middle when he was alongside Sami - in my opinion.  Whenever he was put next to Agger or Skrtel it was blatantly obvious to me he wasn't as good as what people made out.  He always gave it 100% that can never be disputed and I will always love the lad but he is nowhere near the best we've ever had.

KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #88: Jun 24, 2016 09:37:48 pm
      Hansen and Hughes both were so solid ..Hughes is one of all time favourite defenders and such a gent
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #89: Jun 24, 2016 09:38:09 pm
      Sami and Agger. Carra was class but gave away a few too many penalties to get in the top 2 for me. I didn't really watch the older ones. Any football older than 25 years ago I don't remember.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #90: Jun 25, 2016 08:53:46 am
      I think in this thread we have discovered something. We have discovered that the CB pairing is essential to winning anything and we need to see Sakho and Lovren  improve to get to the level of the players mentioned on this thread.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #91: Jun 25, 2016 10:53:52 am
      I think in this thread we have discovered something. We have discovered that the CB pairing is essential to winning anything and we need to see Sakho and Lovren  improve to get to the level of the players mentioned on this thread.

Think Matip might come in between them mate in more ways than one, although not a usual Klopp set up, it's possible he could use all in a back 3 on occasion where tactics may have to change, it could allow a extra man in midfield or even in a two striker attack,
      It's going to be interesting to see who Klopp sees as his strongest two in his usual back four tho?

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,456 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #92: Jun 28, 2016 01:22:17 pm
      Hansen and Carra for me, but Thommo & Sammi get major honourable mentions.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #93: Jun 28, 2016 01:58:39 pm
      Went for Hansen and Hughes , could have been thommo , carra , big Yeats , as much as I liked Sami I think he's a bit behind the others , one thing you can say is we have had some top drawer defenders who would grace any era .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #94: Jun 29, 2016 01:29:37 pm
      Went for Hansen and Hughes , could have been thommo , carra , big Yeats , as much as I liked Sami I think he's a bit behind the others , one thing you can say is we have had some top drawer defenders who would grace any era .

I left Emlyn out hoping to get him at left back, backfired big time
      Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #95: Jul 03, 2016 08:20:56 am
      This isn't too difficult.
      Tommy Smith,brilliant footballer & they simply don't come any tougher.
      Emlyn Hughes,when I am asked to pick an all time 11 Emlyn is one of the first I'd select. Truly was an unbelievable player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #96: Jul 11, 2016 01:27:07 pm
      Just going through selecting my team and reading some of the comments I've definitely missed out on watching some truly amazing players. It makes for a tough selection a number of positions.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #97: Jul 22, 2016 02:23:05 pm
      I didn't know really where to put this but here is a very interesting read, if mostly for its insights into the managers he played under: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills

The story explains a lot about Agger's injury history but the part that gripped me was his description of the frosty relationship with Rodgers and the brainless training sessions carried out by owl.

Quick Reply