Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your TWO greatest ever LFC central defenders

Phil Thompson
      (5.1%)
      Emlyn Hughes
      (7%)
      Ron Yeats
      (2.3%)
      Alan Hansen
      (30.1%)
      Mark Lawrenson
      (3.5%)
      Sami Hyypia
      (23.8%)
      Gary Gillespie
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (23%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2%)
      Stephane Henchoz
      (0.4%)
      Tommy Smith
      (2.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence

Read 11556 times
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Reply #23: Jun 14, 2016 01:28:26 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why, dont really need to anyway!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Jun 14, 2016 01:32:20 am
      Here lies a problem for me,in old money we used to have a right half,centre half and left half.Now going back many years  I would have a half back line of Phil Taylor.Laurie Hughes and Bob Paisley in their prime.Now if I am just looking for a centre half it would be between Big Rowdy Yeats and Alan Hansen,while Rowdy was a stopper Hansen was a creator as well.For me Hansen would be the pick.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 14, 2016 01:41:36 am
      Oh Jesus now we are spoilt for choice. So so difficult. Like Si and so many more it's a case of Hansen plus another and that other is one of Hyypia or Carragher and I'm struggling to pick one over the other! (can we go three at the back?! :D )
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #26: Jun 14, 2016 01:52:53 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why

That's the spirit. :roll:
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Jun 14, 2016 02:10:27 am
      Hansen and Hyypia for me. Cant be assed to explain why, dont really need to anyway!

Oh!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Jun 14, 2016 08:01:28 am
      Here lies a problem for me,in old money we used to have a right half,centre half and left half.Now going back many years  I would have a half back line of Phil Taylor.Laurie Hughes and Bob Paisley in their prime.Now if I am just looking for a centre half it would be between Big Rowdy Yeats and Alan Hansen,while Rowdy was a stopper Hansen was a creator as well.For me Hansen would be the pick.

and for me Bill.

the old   1-2-3-5  formation starting with the goalie.
      So yes Id be looking at three half backs.

In new money although not as a pairing Ive already posted Emlyn and Carra for different reasons.

Just wait till we get to Cally and Thompson as Wingers ?   
      Who ?

;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #29: Jun 14, 2016 08:09:27 am
      As has been said its jocky and one other .cant remember  big Ron playing but as shanks said a collosus for us , torn between  two at the moment .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Jun 14, 2016 08:35:14 am
      and for me Bill.

the old   1-2-3-5  formation starting with the goalie.
      So yes Id be looking at three half backs.

In new money although not as a pairing Ive already posted Emlyn and Carra for different reasons.

Just wait till we get to Cally and Thompson as Wingers ?   
      Who ?

;D

I don't think there will be any competition for Cally seeing as he played over 600 games for us under such astute managers as Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #31: Jun 14, 2016 09:37:52 am
      Hansen
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #32: Jun 14, 2016 10:37:20 am
      Hansen for sure but then I'm completely torn between Carragher and Hyypia. Both absolute club legends but what a buy Hyypia was! I'd probably give him the nod over Carragher in terms of defending but Carragher put his body on the line more times than most with his challenges.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #33: Jun 14, 2016 10:43:02 am
      Gary Gillespie was another quality CB who I don't think has been mentioned yet.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jun 14, 2016 11:21:14 am
      Gary Gillespie was another quality CB who I don't think has been mentioned yet.

good shout mate another very cultured CB in the mould of Agger.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,529 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #35: Jun 14, 2016 12:52:09 pm

Fair enough, gets my vote(s)!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #36: Jun 14, 2016 01:02:37 pm
      I'll go with what I watched.

Hyypia-Carra for me because I've been a Liverpool fan since 1999-2000 (younger generation type) as I have not witnessed the other defenders before hand to make judgment.

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #37: Jun 14, 2016 01:19:29 pm
      Has to be Carra and Hansen.

Carra always put himself in the line of fire without hesitation and Hansen was just pure class especially bringing the ball out of defence.

Sammi runs them close though.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #38: Jun 14, 2016 01:34:59 pm

Cant argue with this!

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #39: Jun 14, 2016 04:45:47 pm
      Comfortably Carragher and Hyypia from what I've seen. No one else in this century comes close.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #40: Jun 14, 2016 06:17:15 pm
      Another tough decision seeing as we've had some outstanding central defenders,my picks are Hansen who was just as good with a ball as he was without it
      He had everything,my other pick is carra ,the guy needs no introduction or explanation,you just need to mention his name to any red and you'll get a 101 or more  reasons why he is held in such high regard amongst us reds.
      I can give a fair few honourable
      Mentions but I'm just going to name one and that is the big fin
      Sami hyypia,as rowdy once said
      He really was one of the best bits of business we've ever done when we signed him for a pittance,he helped us win ten trophies in the ten years he was with us & that's an amazing achievement.
      Each & everyone of us has an everlasting memory regarding past players and one of mine is big sami's last game at anfield against Spurs in 2009,I really was teary eyed that day.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #41: Jun 14, 2016 06:51:33 pm
      Probably the first position thus far that there's a real chance somebody who made their debut in the Premier League era will get into the side. And I don't need to give a run down of possible choices that I didn't see because I've seen enough in my lifetime to make the decision.

I think poor Stephane Henchoz has been getting a bit overlooked here. I F***ing loved that fella and alonside Sami, they were a fantastic pairing. Without their defending, and in Steph's case goalkeeping, we wouldn't of won the treble in 2001. A real unsung hero for the club and I think is overlooked as much as he is because of how good Sami was.

Before that of course was Mark Wright. One of the best defenders I've seen and the only shining light in Roy Evans' back three (four if you include that F***ing clown James in goal). Ruddock, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, early days of Dom Matteo. Just a really poor bunch of defenders except for Wright. Captain as well, a genuine leader.

Danny Agger who is fondly remembered and with his recent retirement, will probably get a few more votes than he actually should. Decent enough defender and very classy on the eye but far too inconsistent to be a genuine contender for this team in my opinion.

But the picks have to be Sami and Carra (for post 1989 - before that I'd go Carra and Hansen or Hughes and Hansen). Sami, for me, is the best signing the club has ever made. At a time when money was just starting to get mad and at a time when the foreign influx was becoming more popular, we find a complete unknown who goes onto become one of the all time greats.

Two and a half million, followed by a decade of excellent service. More appearances than any other foreign outfield player (second only to Brucie). Top professional, rather than sulk when he lost the captaincy he gave Gerrard all the support he needed and remained at the club for a further six years. Won everything with the club, with one obvious exception, leader, the last centre half we had who knew how to head a ball, chipped in with a few goals to. And the emotion he showed after his final game was so touching.

Then there's Carra. No cause was a lost cause with him, he'd throw everything he could to keep the ball out of our net. Vocal, organiser, dedicated, loyal. Second only to Cally in number of appearances. Another who won everything with the club, with that one exception. An the support he's shown the club both during and after his career is great.

So for me it's Sami and Carra, comfortably. Steph Henchoz, third choice though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Jun 14, 2016 08:23:17 pm
      I know and understand  people vote for those who they have seen but what if we end up with no Shankly players in this team. Larry Lloyd hasn't been mentioned but went on to win a CL with Forest. When Big Ron played we had 1 CB and two halfbacks and two fullbacks.
      Are we going to have a team without Emlyn Hughes in it
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Jun 14, 2016 08:52:24 pm
      The Mighty Emlyn and Carragher.

(Cant be arsed ) 

Must be old age mate   ;D   >:D  ;D

YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jun 14, 2016 08:56:47 pm
      Not mad about him as a pundit, but would probably put Hansen top of the CB pile.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #45: Jun 14, 2016 09:24:26 pm
      Been f***in dreading the CB elements of this fantastic topic,

We have been so blessed down the decades with candidates in abundance, we are all familiar with their names from Yates through to Carragher, with real class and worldly's in between, how the F**k do you choose between the Anfield Iron Tommy Smith, and then mention Phil Thompson, how can you opt for Crazy horse and then remember Jocky Hansen, who can forget that solid partnership of Sami H and Stephane Henchoz, then there is s*n loving Lawro and Gary Gillespie, the list is almost impossible to sort through,...

....I think tho posters should opt for who they have actually seen live, so in my case my two would have to be Hansen/ Carragher, but feel very very guilty for leaving out Sami, special mentions for Tommy Smith, they broke the mould when Tommy was born, Phil Thompson, Scouse thru and thru and obviously bleeds Liverpool red, and Crazy Horse Emlyn Hughes, always, always gave absolutely everything, and who can ever forget that smile, so my CB's with much consideration are ,

Alan Hansen & Jamie Carragher, which completes the back five......

Bruce Grobbelaar
              Steve Nicol     Alan Hansen     Jamie Carragher   Alan Kennedy.....

Try and get past that lot ??

YNWA

Quick Reply