Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your TWO greatest ever LFC central defenders

Phil Thompson
      (5.1%)
      Emlyn Hughes
      (7%)
      Ron Yeats
      (2.3%)
      Alan Hansen
      (30.1%)
      Mark Lawrenson
      (3.5%)
      Sami Hyypia
      (23.8%)
      Gary Gillespie
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (23%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2%)
      Stephane Henchoz
      (0.4%)
      Tommy Smith
      (2.7%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence

Read 11574 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Defence
      Reply #69: Jun 18, 2016 08:06:41 am
      I like Carragher, I do, but no way in hell was he one of our best. You look at the list of defenders we had, sorry no, Carragher was committed yes, quality? no. I would even go so far as to say if he didnt have passion for this club and a local, he would be like Skrtel.

Your arse must be getting jealous with the amount of sh*te coming out of your gob fella!!

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #70: Jun 18, 2016 08:23:47 am
      I like Carragher, I do, but no way in hell was he one of our best. You look at the list of defenders we had, sorry no, Carragher was committed yes, quality? no. I would even go so far as to say if he didnt have passion for this club and a local, he would be like Skrtel.

Hard to see how you came to the conclusion that he wasn't one of our best, if you've been watching him all those years, maybe you're a new supporter that didn't get to watch him in his prime. And as for being a Skrtel? Skrtel was actually a good player for us before he went to sh*t.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,436 posts | 4582 
      Reply #71: Jun 18, 2016 11:31:54 am
      Gone with Hansen & Hyypia but I loved Hughes too..

Triple H for me :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #72: Jun 18, 2016 01:44:27 pm
      Very surprised that Lawrenson hasn't got more votes. c**t of a man but a wonderful defender and footballer in his day and for a while was the equal if not better than Hansen.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #73: Jun 18, 2016 05:20:13 pm
      Best partnership I've witnessed, without a doubt = Hansen & Lawrenson but as Lawrenson irritates the F**k clean out of me...

Alan Hansen & Sami Hyypia  >:D

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #74: Jun 18, 2016 06:08:31 pm
      Do one. You don't rack up that many appearances under so many different managers without being absolute top quality.

At his peak absolutely nothing for past him (except Thierry Henry who did him on a regular basis :D)

He's right though about the first bit, there 's no way on Earth Carragher or Hyypia get in ahead of the likes of Thompson, Hughes or Lawrenson to partner Hansen!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #75: Jun 18, 2016 06:16:59 pm
      Hansen was real quality in the Liverpool defence.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #76: Jun 18, 2016 08:33:30 pm
      If you pick Hansen, that will be the end of it, I will not look for you, I will not Pursue you, but if you don't pick Hansen, I will look for you,............ I will find you...........and I will kill you!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #77: Jun 18, 2016 11:24:32 pm
      Hard to see how you came to the conclusion that he wasn't one of our best, if you've been watching him all those years, maybe you're a new supporter that didn't get to watch him in his prime. And as for being a Skrtel? Skrtel was actually a good player for us before he went to sh*t.

I didnt mean to sound as if I have no respect for the lad, I do, he gave 100% every game and thats all any of us ask, comparing him to Skrtel for me is about right, they both reached a peak that they didnt maintain to make them legendary defenders.

I chose Hansen as I was raised watching him, and I chose Hyypia as I believe he is one of our more modern day defenders that was truly brilliant.

However I just dont see Carragher as one of our best ever defenders.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #78: Jun 19, 2016 09:57:56 am
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Finally a category i can vote in where my picks are a chance of being named :D

Sami was everything. Carra just a shade behind. Probably win the league if Carra stayed on with us and he sorted out our defence.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #79: Jun 19, 2016 10:05:39 am
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Sami was everything. Carra just a shade behind. Probably win the league if Carra stayed on with us and he sorted out our defence.

I went for the same mate, although was tempted by Henchoz as he and Sami had a better partnership than Sami and Carra I think.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #80: Jun 19, 2016 12:30:45 pm
      Went with Hansen and Phil Thommo in the end.. tough one that!

Next !
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #81: Jun 20, 2016 09:38:54 am
      I didnt mean to sound as if I have no respect for the lad, I do, he gave 100% every game and thats all any of us ask, comparing him to Skrtel for me is about right, they both reached a peak that they didnt maintain to make them legendary defenders.

I chose Hansen as I was raised watching him, and I chose Hyypia as I believe he is one of our more modern day defenders that was truly brilliant.

However I just dont see Carragher as one of our best ever defenders.

Think Carragher is/was legendary for the club personally. On ability.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #82: Jun 20, 2016 04:55:24 pm
      Sami is the one for me, followed closely by Hansen, with the mighty Ron Yeats just after.

I don't think that Hansen, a Rolls Royce of a player. would have been as good as he was without Lawro. A great combination. Oh, to have them back now. But I'd even give that up to see Sami playing in our defence once more.

Ron was of  different age, and the typical giant, hard centre half, who I would have hated playing against.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #83: Jun 20, 2016 05:00:04 pm
      Remember big Ron great centre half, from when I first started following the Reds, way back in 1965.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Jun 20, 2016 05:30:27 pm
      Have to say when you see images and footage of Ron Yeats in his prime then he really looks fearsome and no doubt played similarly. Incredible giant!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #85: Jun 20, 2016 06:00:26 pm
      1) Sami
      2) Carra

Just think that is exactly what used to happen with Yeats, Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie.

That's why they should all be picked above Carra and Hyypia.

My own personal choice was Hansen and Hughes.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #86: Jun 20, 2016 06:08:29 pm
      Just think that is exactly what used to happen with Yeats, Smith, Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Lawrenson and Gillespie.

That's why they should all be picked above Carra and Hyypia.

My own personal choice was Hansen and Hughes.

that was my pick too I had to pick Hughes and you cant leave at Hansen but I found it hard to leave out Thomo we have been blessed with some incredible talent in central defence cant see any of the present lot getting into the best team.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #87: Jun 24, 2016 11:15:01 am
      Being a relatively young red, the best CB I have ever seen at the club is Sami.

It's going to be unpopular me saying this but I didn't rate Carragher as highly as the majority of our support did. I felt Carragher got away with a lot because he's local lad. As a footballer I thought he was basic at best and I always thought it was a bit of a myth that he was some fantastic defender and organiser.  He was exposed whenever he played at full back that's for sure and he only played well in the middle when he was alongside Sami - in my opinion.  Whenever he was put next to Agger or Skrtel it was blatantly obvious to me he wasn't as good as what people made out.  He always gave it 100% that can never be disputed and I will always love the lad but he is nowhere near the best we've ever had.

KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #88: Jun 24, 2016 09:37:48 pm
      Hansen and Hughes both were so solid ..Hughes is one of all time favourite defenders and such a gent
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #89: Jun 24, 2016 09:38:09 pm
      Sami and Agger. Carra was class but gave away a few too many penalties to get in the top 2 for me. I didn't really watch the older ones. Any football older than 25 years ago I don't remember.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #90: Jun 25, 2016 08:53:46 am
      I think in this thread we have discovered something. We have discovered that the CB pairing is essential to winning anything and we need to see Sakho and Lovren  improve to get to the level of the players mentioned on this thread.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: Jun 25, 2016 10:53:52 am
      I think in this thread we have discovered something. We have discovered that the CB pairing is essential to winning anything and we need to see Sakho and Lovren  improve to get to the level of the players mentioned on this thread.

Think Matip might come in between them mate in more ways than one, although not a usual Klopp set up, it's possible he could use all in a back 3 on occasion where tactics may have to change, it could allow a extra man in midfield or even in a two striker attack,
      It's going to be interesting to see who Klopp sees as his strongest two in his usual back four tho?

YNWA

Quick Reply