Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Is Klopp or the Transfer committee in charge?

Read 11866 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Re: Is Klopp or the Transfer committee in charge?
      Reply #46: Jun 23, 2016 11:55:41 am
      If Klopp is in charge and he wants Chillwell, why are we dicking around about it? Just go sign him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #47: Jun 23, 2016 12:00:39 pm
      If Klopp is in charge and he wants Chillwell, why are we dicking around about it? Just go sign him.

Because as Klopp has previously said, if he wants a player but he doesn't fit the budget they've set aside for said player then they won't sign him. 3-5m overspent on Chilwell will result in less money to spend on somebody who could effect the team right now rather than in a few years.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #48: Jun 23, 2016 12:02:57 pm
      Because as Klopp has previously said, if he wants a player but he doesn't fit the budget they've set aside for said player then they won't sign him. 3-5m overspent on Chilwell will result in less money to spend on somebody who could effect the team right now rather than in a few years.

Indeed......if we started paying the first figure a club puts up I doubt we would be able to afford many new recruits.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #49: Jun 23, 2016 12:03:58 pm
      At the end of the day, anyone that comes in is a Liverpool player regardless of who wanted them or who recommended them. What is important is whether they are good enough or not.

That said, the list of targets does not inspire confidence. It looks like they are buying for 2020 at a time when this club ought to be closing the gap to the main rivals, rivals who are more interested in buying players that can deliver from the onset. I have always thought it a good idea to buy three or four players that improve the first eleven each season rather than going the 7 or 8 player window that symbolizes summer purchase events at Melwood.

Good post. Someone made a point in another thread that they thought JĆ¼rgen was being slightly naiive if he thinks he can consistently challenge at the top of the league in England by buying small, and I'm inclined to agree (if of course he does think that).

Take the left back situation. I haven't seen anybody saying "don't sign Chilwell", how could they as nobody has seen him play? I haven't seen anyone saying "don't sign a left back" simply because we so obviously need one. Surely though we need (possibly as well as Chilwell) a credible left back who is ready and willing to play for the first team from game one of the new season? I did see stories of Keiran Gibbs from Arsenal a month or s back, and him AS WELL AS Chilwell would make sense to me, but not JUST the 19 year old kid who hasn't played a league game.

And to people who say "this is how JĆ¼rgen works" I say this. All managers should adapt to the arena in which they operate. Say for example JĆ¼rgen does great things with us and ends up at Real Madrid in five years time (he almost went to Bayern Munich a couple of times so it's possible), do people seriously think he'd buy only potential, youngsters and unknowns? Of course he wouldn't, and I don't think he should be asked/made to do it at Liverpool either.

See there is the rub, if he were given total carte blanche in the sense that he was given a budget and told he could spend it on who he likes, disregarding sell on value, age restrictions etc I am convinced he would do things differently. That's all I'm asking for, the owners should properly back the manager.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #50: Jun 23, 2016 12:21:50 pm
      See there is the rub, if he were given total carte blanche in the sense that he was given a budget and told he could spend it on who he likes, disregarding sell on value, age restrictions etc I am convinced he would do things differently. That's all I'm asking for, the owners should properly back the manager.

Yeah, I agree mate. I think the ideal profile for FSG is someone like Stirling or Suarez, someone we find young, develop into a star and then sell on for a big sum, rather than players that we buy or bring through and that stay for most or all their career on huge wages.

I get the feeling we won't be seeing many Gerrards or Carra's or other long term stars, but that at best we will get a few years out of them before we take the money and run. 

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,935 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Jun 23, 2016 12:59:22 pm
      Good post. Someone made a point in another thread that they thought JĆ¼rgen was being slightly naiive if he thinks he can consistently challenge at the top of the league in England by buying small, and I'm inclined to agree (if of course he does think that).

Take the left back situation. I haven't seen anybody saying "don't sign Chilwell", how could they as nobody has seen him play? I haven't seen anyone saying "don't sign a left back" simply because we so obviously need one. Surely though we need (possibly as well as Chilwell) a credible left back who is ready and willing to play for the first team from game one of the new season? I did see stories of Keiran Gibbs from Arsenal a month or s back, and him AS WELL AS Chilwell would make sense to me, but not JUST the 19 year old kid who hasn't played a league game.

And to people who say "this is how JĆ¼rgen works" I say this. All managers should adapt to the arena in which they operate. Say for example JĆ¼rgen does great things with us and ends up at Real Madrid in five years time (he almost went to Bayern Munich a couple of times so it's possible), do people seriously think he'd buy only potential, youngsters and unknowns? Of course he wouldn't, and I don't think he should be asked/made to do it at Liverpool either.

I agree for most parts of your post Mick except if Klopp were to manage RM or BM, PSG, BARCA etc, he certainly would adapt to the those clubs arenas, it just so happens that those clubs have much more financial freedom than that of FSG , so he wouldn't have in mind the financial restrictions he has presently,

It works both ways, Maureen for example won't build sides he would rather buy, not since his days at Porto has he assembled a side of note, he would imo fail if took charge at a club like Newcastle, Sunderland, or blueshite, simply because those clubs don't have the financial clout of those he has been successful with, but put a Klopp, Rafa, Ranieri, in charge and they would build and certainly improve those clubs, and perhaps might even win a league albeit without changing too much of the  personnel,

If Klopp did have carte Blanche here at LFC, I still think he would prefer to bring in those he feels suits his philosophy rather than the big time Charlie's that may or may not give the kind of commitment he wants.

YNWA
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #52: Jun 23, 2016 02:42:47 pm
      Yeah, I agree mate. I think the ideal profile for FSG is someone like Stirling or Suarez, someone we find young, develop into a star and then sell on for a big sum, rather than players that we buy or bring through and that stay for most or all their career on huge wages.

I get the feeling we won't be seeing many Gerrards or Carra's or other long term stars, but that at best we will get a few years out of them before we take the money and run. 

I see this posted a lot but name a player we have sold for big money who didn't want to leave? Who didn't ask to leave? I include Steven in this too.

FSG dug their heels in with Luis when Arsenal came knocking, kept hold of him, and we almost won the league.

We don't really know if FSG would sell our world class assets by choice or not yet, because the sad reality is we haven't had many world class players in the past decade or so and the very few we have had all wanted to go - for reasons we can't really blame them for.

If we had 6, 7 world class players in the team then I think things may actually be different. I think players may want to stay here if that was the case & that FSG would be reluctant to sell.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #53: Jun 23, 2016 03:02:00 pm
      Well I read some tweets that all of the names we have been linked with are of Klopp's of preferences not TC.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Jun 23, 2016 03:35:52 pm
      You know what mate I've only myself to blame.

Back in Dec/Jan after being called some pretty nasty stuff on here for trying to remain positive amongst a deluge of negativity, I promised myself I'd leave you all to it and stop bothering. 
      It was effecting my health and wellbeing, like fighting against the tide or an immovable object, sadly it hasn't changed.

I'll leave you all to and concentrate my time on non footballing or non Liverpool topics in future. 
      Have a good summer and let's hope we're all celebrating next May regardless of transfers or spend.

Sad day when a poster like Debs has to say this.

The thing is ..... I fully understand.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #55: Jun 23, 2016 03:58:17 pm
      Sad day when a poster like Debs has to say this.

The thing is ..... I fully understand.

Agreed 100%, wasn't pleasant to read that at all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Jun 23, 2016 04:33:07 pm
      I see this posted a lot but name a player we have sold for big money who didn't want to leave? Who didn't ask to leave? I include Steven in this too.

FSG dug their heels in with Luis when Arsenal came knocking, kept hold of him, and we almost won the league.

We don't really know if FSG would sell our world class assets by choice or not yet, because the sad reality is we haven't had many world class players in the past decade or so and the very few we have had all wanted to go - for reasons we can't really blame them for.

If we had 6, 7 world class players in the team then I think things may actually be different. I think players may want to stay here if that was the case & that FSG would be reluctant to sell.

To be fair mate, when our best players want to leave to go to "big clubs" like Chelsea, Arsenal and Citeh we are on a loser from the start.

From reading Wenger's new book it was apparent that it wasn't the thought of selling Suarez that made FSG turn the offer from Arsenal down (Liverpool were apparently touting him round Europe at the time) but the size of the offer.

I suppose we would need to receive a big offer for our star player and both the club and the player to refuse it to prove my theory wrong...sadly that hasn't happened yet.

Of course top players will want to leave if they perceive that their ambitions are not and never will be fulfilled here, that is what we have to change. We have to show that our ambition matches theirs, not that we will sell any player if we get a big offer.

Do you believe we would have sold any of those three players if the best offer we had received for them was Ā£10million?

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #57: Jun 23, 2016 04:56:27 pm
      Klopp will never buy a player that did not have a say in its transfer.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #58: Jun 23, 2016 05:05:25 pm
      Agreed 100%, wasn't pleasant to read that at all.

It's never good when posters give up voicing their opinion, regardless of how long they step aside. It's particularly bad when they do it because they've suffered personal abuse (I know it as well as any). When though they haven't suffered any abuse (which nobody on the forum ever has from me) but decide to "leave people to it" for a bit you've just got to respect their decision.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #59: Jun 23, 2016 07:14:59 pm
      A piece from tonight's Echo

Liverpool FC comment - transfer committee fears unnecessary as Klopp and Reds show normal progress

Normal.

Itā€™s a word which has been associated with JĆ¼rgen Klopp since he emerged at Anfield last October in a haze of flashing camera bulbs to declare he was simply ā€œThe Normal Oneā€.

Of course much of what he has already brought to the club suggests much, much more than normal.

The season may have ended with the huge disappointment of a second lost cup final - even more so when that concentration on the Europa League contributed to an underwhelming eighth-place league finish - but there was more than enough progress to suggest a ā€œKlopp teamā€ at Anfield could achieve great things.

Klopp was forgiven many of Liverpoolā€™s failings last year because of the mantra that they werenā€™t his players and it wasnā€™t his team.

There was confidence that the German would deliver in the transfer market just as he created a Borussia Dortmund team which was not only successful but admired across Europe.

But some, it seems, are already getting restless.

When the ECHO reported this morning that Liverpool had failed with a Ā£7m bid for Leicester full back Ben Chilwell it was enough to launch a furious reaction on social media.

The Anfield transfer committee is back in the spotlight among some supporters in the most significant way since Brendan Rodgers was still flashing smiles on the Melwood training pitches.

The problem seems to be the level of player which Liverpool are being linked with.

It was certainly not helped by the timing of midfield target Piotr Zielinskiā€™s emergence from the Polish bench at the Euros on Tuesday night to deliver a thoroughly underwhelming performance, mercifully cut short by his manager after 45 minutes.

Chilwell was reserve left-back at champions Leicester last year behind Christian Fuchs but has yet to make his Premier League debut and spent two months on loan at Huddersfield.

The problem with the other player heavily linked with Liverpool - Sadio Mane - seems to be primarily that he is another player from Southampton, a club the Reds have paid substantial sums to over the last few years.

These are not the types of names many fans were hoping to hear, itā€™s fair to say. And even though the transfer window has not yet even formally opened, some are getting restless.

Fans are entitled to that of course but to return to our theme, isnā€™t the current situation simply absolutely normal?

All three names mentioned above potentially fill a need for the club.

Chilwell, a young player in what has been a problem position for the club. Zielinski a possible addition to a midfield which needs more power. Mane would bring lighting pace, much-needed width and a greater goal threat than one of those Southampton old boys in Adam Lallana, for all his impresssive form at the Euros. And while weā€™re at it, those other St Maryā€™s old boys in Nathaniel Clyne (since he arrived) and (latterly) Dejan Lovren arenā€™t doing too badly.

And it is just June 22. The ECHO looked at the timing of arrivals under FSG earlier this month and there was a real spread.

It was in this week last year that Roberto Firmino arrived, as did Clyne, Christian Bentekeā€™s Ā£32.5m switch from Aston Villa came in mid-August while Mamadou Sakhoā€™s signature in 2013 was secured on the last day of the summer window.

Many came earlier of course but itā€™s worth remembering that Joel Matip from Schalke and Marko Grujic from Red Star Belgrade are already on their way. And itā€™s likely that much business has been delayed across the continent because of the ongoing European Championships.

At the end of last season Klopp also suggested he would likely need a smaller squad if Liverpool missed out on European football altogether, with the Reds likely to play at least 15 fewer games than last seasonā€™s exhauting 63.

The fans are surely entitled to at least one absolute ā€˜starā€™ name out of owners FSG this summer - despite Kloppā€™s reputation for making rather than buying them - but this early is surely too early to be worrying about the transfer committee yet again.

Especially a transfer committee which Klopp appears completely relaxed about.

From his first day he was clear he would always have the final say and weā€™ve had several months to learn the German is generally a man to speak his mind.

He told his first press conference: ā€œThis is a really crazy discussion because it was not a problem for (even) 10 seconds...

ā€œIā€™m not a genius, I donā€™t know more than the rest of the world. I need these people.ā€

And he reinterated his view in the last window in January.

ā€œIn the end itā€™s like I said at the first meeting and the first press conference, if I donā€™t want the player to come in here in he will not come.

ā€œAnd if the player I want doesnā€™t fit our budget then he will not come too.

ā€œThatā€™s absolutely normal. Itā€™s a normal situation.ā€

For now, with Klopp flying out on a family holiday today, surely we can let normality reign?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-comment-transfer-committee-11512031
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #60: Jun 23, 2016 07:42:18 pm
      It's never good when posters give up voicing their opinion, regardless of how long they step aside. It's particularly bad when they do it because they've suffered personal abuse (I know it as well as any). When though they haven't suffered any abuse (which nobody on the forum ever has from me) but decide to "leave people to it" for a bit you've just got to respect their decision.

Probably best to simply say I'll agree to disagree with you on everything in this post.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,935 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #61: Jun 23, 2016 08:05:54 pm
      Probably best to simply say I'll agree to disagree with you on everything in this post.

I think it's terribly sad a poster of Debs quality feels she has to 'leave us to it', none of us truly knows how Debs feels or how hurt she is, all we can do is respect her, respect her decision and hope she returns real soon,
      I think I can speak for most when I say that this forum is a much poorer place without Debs contributions.

Come back soon Debs!

You'll Never Walk Alone

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #62: Jun 23, 2016 08:09:39 pm

Not sure why you disagree with what Mick says mate an probably safer for me not to ask.

All I can say is that I have never seen Mick get involved in flame wars etc

Me... I do, too often for comfort sadly, but Mick like yourself usually just hits 'em with a wall of text  :) or just ignores them for a bit.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #63: Jun 23, 2016 08:11:43 pm

I think it's terribly sad a poster of Debs quality feels she has to 'leave us to it', none of us truly knows how Debs feels or how hurt she is, all we can do is respect her, respect her decision and hope she returns real soon,
      I think I can speak for most when I say that this forum is a much poorer place without Debs contributions.

Come back soon Debs!

You'll Never Walk Alone

YNWA

Excellent post mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #64: Jun 23, 2016 08:18:29 pm

Come back soon Debs!

You'll Never Walk Alone

YNWA

Spot on Billy.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Jun 27, 2016 07:17:29 pm
      Change yer name and sneak up on them Debs.

I'm going to sneak up on Princess without him knowing.

;D
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016 09:09:26 pm by MIRO »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #66: Jun 27, 2016 09:15:37 pm
      Change yer name and sneak up on them Debs.

I'm going to sneak up on Princess without him knowing.

;D

Change your avatar and banner...might be more stealthy.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #67: Jun 27, 2016 10:29:49 pm
      Change your avatar and banner...might be more stealthy.

You cant see a laugh coming if it hit you in the face .

BOOM
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #68: Jun 28, 2016 06:19:40 pm
      Well judging by heir Klopps comments I think you can say Mane is his signing ,

Quick Reply