Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Pick your TWO greatest ever LFC centre midfielders

Jimmy Case
      (0%)
      Emlyn Hughes
      (2.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (44.4%)
      Jan Molby
      (3%)
      Steve McMahon
      (0.8%)
      Graeme Souness
      (28.2%)
      Xabi Alonso
      (16.9%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (1.9%)
      Ronnie Whelan
      (0.4%)
      Terry McDermott
      (1.1%)
      Dietmar Hamann
      (1.1%)

The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Midfield

Read 7037 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Midfield
      Jun 25, 2016 08:33:39 pm
      Keeper and defence done.  Only reasonable that we stick with the formation that served the reds best during their most successful periods - a 4-4-2.

When the poll is added you will be able to select two players from the list.

Who are your nominations for LFC's best ever men in the middle?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The LFC Reds Greatest Ever Team: Central Midfield
      Reply #1: Jun 25, 2016 08:42:05 pm
      Souness and Gerrard, was tempted to put Kenny in cm with souness and Stevie on the right in order to fit another striker alongside rushie, remember Kenny playing games in a deeper role. Honourable mentions to terry mac, Ronnie whelan, Steve mcmahon, xabi Alonso, mash,
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Jun 25, 2016 08:49:41 pm
      Just too many fantastic midfielders at the Club over the years but the 4 who always stick in my mind as pivotal to our success during the 70s and 80s were Emlyn, Jimmy Case, McMahon and Souness.

As much as I love them all, and others too, I just can't have a best 11 without including Emlyn and Souness.

I know loads will be shouting it has to be Stevie but I can stick him in my team as either a 2nd striker or right midfield, so don't worry even though I've chosen all my best players so far from the 70s 80s period, Stevie won't be overlooked  ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #3: Jun 25, 2016 09:58:32 pm
      We're do I start Souness, Whelan, McMahon, Molby, Gerrard, McAllister (even if only for one season) Alonso and Mascherano and that's just from the players I've seen play. Obvious other inclusions would be Case, McDermott and Ray Kennedy!

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jun 25, 2016 10:04:06 pm
      Molby, Alonso would pass teams to death, but hard to leave Gerrard out, Molby and Gerrard.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Jun 25, 2016 10:35:10 pm
      Hughes,Cormack,McDermot,Souness,Whelan,Molby .....I give up
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Jun 26, 2016 12:10:30 am
      Has to be Souness and Gerrard I suppose. Plenty of other great midfielders but these two are the standouts even among the great. Tempted to pick three in midfield but that would only lead to bigger problems upfront later and JD said 4-4-2 formation anyway.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #7: Jun 26, 2016 12:36:27 am
      It has to be Souness or Gerrard, they are both similar for me but I have to go with Souness, put simply, the best captain we have ever had.

So we have the fighters, we now need the creativity, Jan Molby. The guy was a genius, and they way he adopted the scouse accent, you would never know he was a dane!

So there are my choices, If we had them two today, we would dominate every game.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8: Jun 26, 2016 12:37:24 am
      I've voted on here using the "from what I've actually seen" excuse but Souness I'm having. Soz.

Souness and Gerrard.

Maybe similar but Stevie can be what you want him to be.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #9: Jun 26, 2016 12:39:03 am
      Gerrard and Alonso xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Hamann 3rd.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #10: Jun 26, 2016 09:09:19 am
      sh*t what a choice we have been blessed.

Tempted to shift Stevie out to the right so I can fit another here but can't do it, Stevies in the middle! What a player he was, the best we have ever had in my opinion.

Alongside him to comes down to Alonso, Masch, Hamann or Gary Mac.

F**k it can't choose, will stick Hamann in there, one of my favourite ever players for us and what a footballer he was. 
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Jun 26, 2016 09:24:31 am
      Gerrard has to be my first pick, he is simply put the best all round midfielder ive ever witnessed. Second pick is much more difficult.
      Molby, McMahon and Whelan all stand out as player I grew up watching, then of course Alonso was, pretty decent as well.
      I've seen enough of Souness to know that he and Gerrard would have made and incredible midfield paring, so thats my choices at the minute, but McMahon is currently trying to change my mind.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #12: Jun 26, 2016 10:10:17 am
      Might take a while for me to decide on this one.

I'm tempted to leave Stevie for one of the other positions simply because of the quality we have had in CM and I personally think his best position has been further forward.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Jun 26, 2016 10:44:59 am

I'm tempted to leave Stevie for one of the other positions simply because of the quality we have had in CM and I personally think his best position has been further forward.

Exactly my thoughts too Si.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #14: Jun 26, 2016 11:31:47 am

I thought that too mate but then started thinking I'd have to leave out Torres or Suarez up top! Could move him out to the right but he only played 1 season there and I personally preferred him in the middle.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #15: Jun 26, 2016 12:13:02 pm
      So many great players to choose from, it will make it a very difficult task. Look forward to see who is in the list.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #16: Jun 26, 2016 12:32:20 pm
      What a headache this is! I'd love to put Souness in but I can't, I didn't see him in a red shirt but he's everything I personally want in a captain/player/midfielder.

If we're going 4-4-2 I'm not messing about shifting Stevie to the right he's too good for that. So it's got to be Stevie +1.

But who's the +1?

McMahon, a leader of men a true midfield general who had a lot more in his locker than people gave him credit for.
      Whelan, I feel I didn't see his best days so hard to comment as he was in and out of the team through injury.
      Molby, he was majestic his range of passing and ability from a dead ball was scary!
      Redknapp, often gets forgotten about due to injury but he was a player, could mix it if needed and was a excellent passer of the ball.
      Hamann, was a excellent signing and quietly and consistently a 7-8/10 every game.
      Alonso, for me is right up there with any midfielder in the current game, the way he dictates the tempo of a game and his passing with either foot is second to none. Strange how he was in and out of favour at the club to the extent Gareth Barry was seen as a better option before the deal fell through!
      Mascherano, a pitbull of a player I feel with us though he was never truly in control of his temper. The Old Trafford game sticks out a mile, I believe since he went to Barca he's managed this and become a better player for it.

I'm pairing Stevie back with his mate Xabi in the middle.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #17: Jun 26, 2016 01:24:23 pm
      This would have been a lot easier if we'd gone for the trusted 2-4-4 formation.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18: Jun 26, 2016 02:55:32 pm
      Salif Diao anyone?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Jun 26, 2016 03:16:18 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2016 03:35:03 pm
      Souness + (insert name).

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21: Jun 26, 2016 04:11:28 pm
      Christ, what a difficult topic to grip with! I suspect Souness and Gerrard will be the top picks, but even then that leaves out the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Molby, Whelan, etc.

We've had some seriously talented players at CM!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Jun 26, 2016 08:48:34 pm
      Which smartarse thought this thread up, it's given me yet another f***in headache ya barsteward,  ;D,

Just don't know where to start, it's not easy being the f***in best yanno, Emlyn, Souy, Case, Mcmahon, Molby, Alonso, Gerrard, Ray Kennedy, Masch, with a very heavy heart tho I have to go with Souness & Gerrard, Kenny will be in my front choice, can't leave the King out?

YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #23: Jun 26, 2016 08:55:51 pm
      Hardest decision ever !!!

Blessed with so many brilliant midfield players over the years, Stevie would have course have to be my number one, but like so many have already mentioned the likes of Case, McDermott, Ray Kennedy, Souness, Whelan, Alonso, Mascherano etc etc..oh my head hurts, how lucky have we been though over the years to see such quality in our midfield.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #24: Jun 26, 2016 09:12:43 pm
      Souness and Stevie g central Barnes left stuck for da other ;D hi ms g
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #25: Jun 26, 2016 09:13:22 pm
      Ray Kennedy right
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #26: Jun 27, 2016 06:10:21 am

A Diao/Poulsen axis .. the stuff of dreams : (
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #27: Jun 27, 2016 06:12:34 am
      Gerrard and Souness are the two standout ones here. Second to me would be to play Masch and Alonso, as you have to have the right pair. I reckon Souness and Stevie in a 4 4 2 would be horrible to play against.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Jun 27, 2016 09:06:53 am
      I will go back to the 1960s to start with Willy Stevenson,on of the best passers of a ball in the old first division,Shanks bought him from Rangers and he was an immediate success.Also Bob Paisley was not a bad player either, ask Everton about the 1950 F.A.Cup semi final.One player who really stands out for me was Ray Kennedy he was pure class in midfield for a converted striker.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Jun 27, 2016 09:14:47 am
      I will go back to the 1960s to start with Willy Stevenson,on of the best passers of a ball in the old first division,Shanks bought him from Rangers and he was an immediate success.Also Bob Paisley was not a bad player either.One player who really stands out for me was Ray Kennedy he was pure class in midfield for a converted striker.

this thread is proving to be a real history lesson and it would be worth Jürgen going through it. For me its  highlighting what a winning team looks like and its clear we have been short for over 20 years . I agree with the Ray Kennedy shout he was such a classy player and seemed to just waft about the pitch maybe sometimes not having blistering pace can be a good thing as long as the thing between the ears is fast.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Jun 27, 2016 09:33:12 am
      this thread is proving to be a real history lesson and it would be worth Jürgen going through it. For me its  highlighting what a winning team looks like and its clear we have been short for over 20 years . I agree with the Ray Kennedy shout he was such a classy player and seemed to just waft about the pitch maybe sometimes not having blistering pace can be a good thing as long as the thing between the ears is fast.

I think it should be remembered that all the midfielders mentioned in this thread could and did score goals for us.A thing that has been missing in recent years is goals from midfiield,Ray Kennedy scored 51 goals for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Jun 27, 2016 11:26:26 am
      I think it should be remembered that all the midfielders mentioned in this thread could and did score goals for us.A thing that has been missing in recent years is goals from midfiield,Ray Kennedy scored 51 goals for us.

and the defenders could defend we could be on to something here next thing we know we will be saying the strikers scored lots of goals
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts | 85 
      Reply #32: Jun 27, 2016 05:45:18 pm
      Souness and Gerrard in the middle would dominate any midfield in the world ever. Both would most probably be in an all time top 10 world midfield, so to have both in our Xi is frightening.

Molby was also a brilliant midfielder, used to run games from the centre circle.

Like most posts have said, we have been blessed with centre midfielders.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #33: Jun 27, 2016 10:10:51 pm
      During my era, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Hamann in this order. My father has videos of Sammy Lee and I liked his style not saying that he was the best of his era because I do not have any  other evidence.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #34: Jun 27, 2016 10:42:41 pm
      My father has videos of Sammy Lee and I liked his style not saying that he was the best of his era because I do not have any  other evidence.

Souness was the best of that era, an absolute monster in the midfield for us and a cracking player too.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #35: Jun 28, 2016 08:24:49 am
      Souness was the best of that era, an absolute monster in the midfield for us and a cracking player too.

I Know he is a big name but never saw him play.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Jun 28, 2016 08:57:24 am
      We're do I start Souness, Whelan, McMahon, Molby, Gerrard, McAllister (even if only for one season) Alonso and Mascherano and that's just from the players I've seen play. Obvious other inclusions would be Case, McDermott and Ray Kennedy!

This is a hard one. All of the above .

I'll put Stevie into this category  and then there has to be one other.

For me the unsung hero of the late seventies team was Jimmy Case. He had an engine and would work tirelessly all day.

A  local lad from Allerton he was the only one in a star studded team of Reds that didnt have an International cap.

I will never forget his thunderbolt shot for our goal in the 77 FA Cup Final v the Scum .

So my heart says Jimmy but my head says Mascher.

I have never seen a Defensive Midfielder who could sit in front of the back four and break down attack after attack.
      There is no equal.

So its Macherano for me .

You dont realise what you have until its gone.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2016 05:04:14 pm by MIRO »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Jun 28, 2016 10:00:09 am
      Gerrard & Alonso.

I do love Hamann though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #38: Jun 28, 2016 11:25:54 am
      Voting now open.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #39: Jun 28, 2016 11:35:23 am
      Had to go with Molby and Gerrard. Xabi was also a contender but he's Molby lite (much lighter when you see the size of Molby now days)

Would of had Souness but he's such a miserable b***ard.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #40: Jun 28, 2016 12:29:32 pm
      Ok two pairings - one for the Best XI and one for the "alternative XI"

Gerrard & Molby

Souness & Alonso

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Jun 28, 2016 12:29:52 pm
      Going for SG and Souness
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Jun 28, 2016 01:36:43 pm
      would love to pick Terry Mac but just cant get him in there
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #43: Jun 28, 2016 02:22:20 pm
      would love to pick Terry Mac but just cant get him in there

Just been talking to my dad telling him my picks so far , and that was one thats came up , I named the one's I just couldn't get in  , I mean like you how can you not get a Terry Macca in your team , but I had to go with the two who I think would destroy any midfield  SG and  GS  would in my opinion be unplayable , the goals from this pair would be the bonus .
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #44: Jun 28, 2016 02:37:30 pm
      Would of had Souness but he's such a miserable b***ard.

But isn't that what makes him so great? :laugh:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #45: Jun 28, 2016 07:43:43 pm
      Plenty of players to choose from, although in the end, decided to go for Gerrard and Molby.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #46: Jun 28, 2016 08:04:59 pm
      You have to pick Souness he just is the rock on which so much was built.I am also keen to keep the local lads in Terry Mac for me he had everything and then some.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #47: Jun 29, 2016 10:42:19 am
      Went for Souness for defensive mid ..A beast of a man .Did the dirty jobs and was the Rock to protect the back four..
      And gone for Gerrard nothing to said about this man, Legend#
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #48: Jun 29, 2016 11:44:18 am
      I could spend all day praising each and every one of the candidates in an extremely difficult section but I won't so...

Steven Gerrard and Graeme Souness
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #49: Jun 29, 2016 11:48:37 am
      This is definitely the toughest one so far.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #50: Jun 29, 2016 12:27:12 pm
      You have to pick Souness he just is the rock on which so much was built
      Indeed Walt. I know we live in an age where the odd Priscilla [Queen of the desert] is happy to proudly proclaim that they jizz themselves over "sexy" looking players but we really have missed a player like Souness for years now.  :laugh:
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #51: Jun 29, 2016 01:00:40 pm
      This is definitely the toughest one so far.

Every managers' dream for these resources that are given. But the problem is I can't decide who to pick, because I can only choose two!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: Jun 29, 2016 01:27:06 pm
      Gerrard & souness.

Plenty great names there but those 2 win for me.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #53: Jun 29, 2016 02:32:34 pm
      Only seen a few videos of Souness but my god you can see exactly what a player he was and what a leader.

One of them players that I truly wish I could have seen in the flesh!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #54: Jun 29, 2016 03:27:49 pm
      Indeed Walt. I know we live in an age where the odd Priscilla [Queen of the desert] is happy to proudly proclaim that they jizz themselves over "sexy" looking players but we really have missed a player like Souness for years now.  :laugh:
      Old Souey wasn't so bad looking  curly perm an all .
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #55: Jun 29, 2016 07:40:03 pm
      Picked Souness and Gerrard. Fell like ive cheated on McMahon though!
      Can we have 5 subs as well?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #56: Jun 30, 2016 11:43:28 am
      Also go for Souness and Gerrard. Too many others who had a good claim though, and it's not going to get any easier.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #57: Jun 30, 2016 05:36:26 pm
      Don't know if it's too much too sort out , but at the end of this and the favoured team comes out would it be possible to have an over 25 team and an under25 team just to see how far apart the split would be I think there would be quite a big difference in teams ,
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #58: Jul 01, 2016 01:09:06 pm
      What a tough choice, we really have been blessed with some great midfielders. it would have to be Stevie & Souness for me, i can't think of many teams that would like to play against those 2.  LFC LEGENDS
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #59: Jul 02, 2016 10:16:51 am
      Stevie and Souey for me.

Took all of 10 seconds on that one. No slight on those who missed out but for me those two were that good.

Would have allowed Stevie to bomb on........
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #60: Jul 02, 2016 12:05:51 pm
      Going with souness as my first pick, one of  the best midfielders I've ever seen, he could also hit a ball  & he was also  one player you didn't F**k with,, he was also  part of one of the best midfields I've ever seen, him alongside Case,,Kennedy & McDermott was unreal,  souness was also part  of our next  great midfield  consisting of  ronnie whelan, sammy lee and craig johno ,My second pick has to be Gerrard who needs no introduction whatsoever.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #61: Jul 11, 2016 07:23:20 pm

Didn't do too bad for us in the Champions League 2005 mind. Obviously not putting him up there amongst the greats but not that bad!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Jul 13, 2016 10:19:16 am
      If I'd have known we'd been going 4-4-2 I'd have selected differently.
      Oh sh*t.

Quick Reply