Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Which player do you expect to surprise us this season

Read 9927 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Which player do you expect to surprise us this season
      Jul 06, 2016 01:19:36 pm
      Last season I think Lovren was my pick. A player I had almost given up on, I thought he just got better and better as the season went on. He certainly surprised me!

Ibe was probably my unpleasant surprise of the season. I really expected him to kick on from the previous season, get among the goals and start to sparkle. Sadly he had a torrid time, struggled for form and confidence and from being our most promising young player has become a player that may well be moved on. He's certainly dropped down the pecking order.

This season I think Henderson may be a surprise package. rumoured to be surplus to requirements I think he has the strength of character and determination to overcome his difficulties and again show us that there is a very good player in there somewhere who will grasp the opportunity to shine.

I think Firmino is the one I would pick for the unpleasant surprise, I know his stats and some of his performances were good last season, but I think he flatters to deceive too often and while I hope he kicks on as most expect, I think he may really struggle this season. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Which player do you expect to surprise us this season
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2016 01:32:26 pm
      Last season I think Lovren was my pick. A player I had almost given up on, I thought he just got better and better as the season went on. He certainly surprised me!

Ibe was probably my unpleasant surprise of the season. I really expected him to kick on from the previous season, get among the goals and start to sparkle. Sadly he had a torrid time, struggled for form and confidence and from being our most promising young player has become a player that may well be moved on. He's certainly dropped down the pecking order.

This season I think Henderson may be a surprise package. rumoured to be surplus to requirements I think he has the strength of character and determination to overcome his difficulties and again show us that there is a very good player in there somewhere who will grasp the opportunity to shine.

I think Firmino is the one I would pick for the unpleasant surprise, I know his stats and some of his performances were good last season, but I think he flatters to deceive too often and while I hope he kicks on as most expect, I think he may really struggle this season. 

You and Firmino... :D

Last season my pleasant surprise was definitely Joe Allen, I thought he'd all but disappeared and he did us proud on many occasion to the point if we ever considered playing a 3 he should definitely not be sold.

Unpleasant one from last year was probably Skrtel, while I've never been his biggest fan I hardly expected the sh*t show he served up time and again.

This season I think the pleasant surprise will be Grujic, the more I look into what he does and what he's about I find myself more and more captivated with how he will get on. Of the players already here I think one of the more obvious ones will be Ojo, saw plenty to really impress me last season and I think we have a player Klopp will develop into a real star.

Unpleasant is a tough one because I wont be surprised if Henderson doesn't get back into a regular starting role, neither would it surprise me if Lallana didn't either, so while I think both of those are in for the biggest fall, it's hard to say it would be a surprise but it probably would for some.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2016 01:33:03 pm
      Surprise Good - Grujic
      Surprise Bad - Origi

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2016 01:36:24 pm
      Markovic. And I will be right.

Got that feeling.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2016 01:39:18 pm
      Mane .

Electric .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2016 01:57:20 pm
      Moreno :f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2016 01:59:16 pm
      If what we can gather from his attitude during injury then I'm hoping that Ings is going to prove more than just a useful substitute.  Be great if that move really comes off.  He's my pick to surprise us positively.

Struggling to choose anyone who will disappoint us when we don't already expect it.  Expecting Henderson to further disappoint , Sturridge to miss loads of games, Migs if he plays to provide plenty of f**k ups - but sadly based on the last 18 months none of these events would be a surprise.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2016 02:30:10 pm
      If what we can gather from his attitude during injury then I'm hoping that Ings is going to prove more than just a useful substitute.  Be great if that move really comes off.  He's my pick to surprise us positively.

Struggling to choose anyone who will disappoint us when we don't already expect it.  Expecting Henderson to further disappoint , Sturridge to miss loads of games, Migs if he plays to provide plenty of f**k ups - but sadly based on the last 18 months none of these events would be a surprise.

I expect Hendo to improve to be honest. He had a mad year last time around. Not saying he will change the world but improve, yes.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2016 03:05:52 pm
      Surprise Good - Ings (pick up where he left) & Markovic
      Surprise Bad - Ibe & Moreno (both of them not a surprise)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2016 03:43:16 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2016 04:20:16 pm
      Should it worry me that half of our projected starting lineup are pegged here to be pleasant surprises? :-\

I would vote for Markovic as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2016 04:30:10 pm
      Surprise good - Firmino.

Surprise bad - Moreno. Does that even count?
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2016 04:44:52 pm
      Marković - with opportunity to play in a proper position and under right guidance I believe he could become a really good player. I'm sure Klopp will find the way to use Marković's pace and skills.

MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2016 04:51:25 pm
      Benteke  ;) :lmao:
      Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2016 04:51:43 pm
      Great shout regarding Hendo,the only worry is that if he does lose the armband to Lovren it could effect it.
      I'm hopeful that Studge will be banging goals in for fun this year.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2016 04:59:09 pm
      Good topic S@int  :gt-happyup:

Difficult to say who will surprise in a good way as so many progressed/improved in the 2nd half of last season that I'd expect those to continue on the same trajectory.  Lovren, Emre, Lallana, Allen and Origi all improved, Firmino did once he'd settled, and despite his brain farts even Moreno seemed to be getting there.  I'd say Hendo will be the noticeable one but only because his injuries and later his heel issue impacted badly on his season.  Then of course there's Ings who we really don't know about one way or another due to him missing all Jurgens time here.

Also we have so many 23/24 year olds and/or players about to enter their prime, that any one or all of them could suddenly make the jump to near superstar status.  Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Clyne, Hendo, Allen (if still here), Cou, Firmino, Studge, Ings plus any of Karius, Matip or Mane could suddenly hit their stride and make huge gains on previous seasons.

We could also see massive progress from any one of our younger players.  Gomez, Ojo, Ibe, Brannagan, Flanno, Markovic, Grujic or even one that's not even appeared yet could make an impact.

My good surprise is going to be Studge, as I think he'll have pretty injury free season.

My bad surprise is going to be Coutinho, as I think others will overtake his impact.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2016 04:59:23 pm
      Markovic.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2016 05:10:22 pm
      Moreno & Marko....M&M

fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2016 05:33:30 pm
      What an odd thread. How can you expect something to be a surprise 😂😉
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2016 05:41:22 pm
      What an odd thread. How can you expect something to be a surprise 😂😉

Expect it to be a surprise for others. I plan surprise birthday parties, I expect it to be a surprise for them, not for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2016 05:41:42 pm
      Balotelli ;-)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2016 05:49:42 pm
      I think the good surprise will be Emre Can. He has it in him to become a really top midfielder, I think he might make giant strides this season.

The bad surprise for some will IMHO be Origi. If Sturridge gets injured I think many who currently hail the young Belgian may quickly change their minds. I take S@ints point about Firmino too, got to do much more this season if we are to challenge anywhere near the top of the league (assuming of course Jürgen picks him with the same regularity).

I think the younger players not breaking through will surprise many but not me. Brannigan and Ojo aren't good enough IMHO, while Grujic will for his first season be on the fringes at best.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Jul 06, 2016 06:13:44 pm
      while Grujic will for his first season be on the fringes at best

Grujic is one that could go either way. I hope he will be a monster of a player that helps stop us being bullied in midfield and brings more security at set pieces, but I fear he may prove to be another Biscan, good when given time on the ball, but who can't handle the hustle and bustle of the prem. 

Think you are going to be right about Can, wrong about Origi. I don't think Origi will ever be a 20+ goal a season player, but I think he will be a good player for us adding strength and pace when we need it. So your right I will be surprised :) 

Quick Reply