Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Which player do you expect to surprise us this season

Read 9925 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Which player do you expect to surprise us this season
      Jul 06, 2016 01:19:36 pm
      Last season I think Lovren was my pick. A player I had almost given up on, I thought he just got better and better as the season went on. He certainly surprised me!

Ibe was probably my unpleasant surprise of the season. I really expected him to kick on from the previous season, get among the goals and start to sparkle. Sadly he had a torrid time, struggled for form and confidence and from being our most promising young player has become a player that may well be moved on. He's certainly dropped down the pecking order.

This season I think Henderson may be a surprise package. rumoured to be surplus to requirements I think he has the strength of character and determination to overcome his difficulties and again show us that there is a very good player in there somewhere who will grasp the opportunity to shine.

I think Firmino is the one I would pick for the unpleasant surprise, I know his stats and some of his performances were good last season, but I think he flatters to deceive too often and while I hope he kicks on as most expect, I think he may really struggle this season. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Which player do you expect to surprise us this season
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2016 01:32:26 pm
      Last season I think Lovren was my pick. A player I had almost given up on, I thought he just got better and better as the season went on. He certainly surprised me!

Ibe was probably my unpleasant surprise of the season. I really expected him to kick on from the previous season, get among the goals and start to sparkle. Sadly he had a torrid time, struggled for form and confidence and from being our most promising young player has become a player that may well be moved on. He's certainly dropped down the pecking order.

This season I think Henderson may be a surprise package. rumoured to be surplus to requirements I think he has the strength of character and determination to overcome his difficulties and again show us that there is a very good player in there somewhere who will grasp the opportunity to shine.

I think Firmino is the one I would pick for the unpleasant surprise, I know his stats and some of his performances were good last season, but I think he flatters to deceive too often and while I hope he kicks on as most expect, I think he may really struggle this season. 

You and Firmino... :D

Last season my pleasant surprise was definitely Joe Allen, I thought he'd all but disappeared and he did us proud on many occasion to the point if we ever considered playing a 3 he should definitely not be sold.

Unpleasant one from last year was probably Skrtel, while I've never been his biggest fan I hardly expected the sh*t show he served up time and again.

This season I think the pleasant surprise will be Grujic, the more I look into what he does and what he's about I find myself more and more captivated with how he will get on. Of the players already here I think one of the more obvious ones will be Ojo, saw plenty to really impress me last season and I think we have a player Klopp will develop into a real star.

Unpleasant is a tough one because I wont be surprised if Henderson doesn't get back into a regular starting role, neither would it surprise me if Lallana didn't either, so while I think both of those are in for the biggest fall, it's hard to say it would be a surprise but it probably would for some.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2016 01:33:03 pm
      Surprise Good - Grujic
      Surprise Bad - Origi

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2016 01:36:24 pm
      Markovic. And I will be right.

Got that feeling.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2016 01:39:18 pm
      Mane .

Electric .
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2016 01:57:20 pm
      Moreno :f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2016 01:59:16 pm
      If what we can gather from his attitude during injury then I'm hoping that Ings is going to prove more than just a useful substitute.  Be great if that move really comes off.  He's my pick to surprise us positively.

Struggling to choose anyone who will disappoint us when we don't already expect it.  Expecting Henderson to further disappoint , Sturridge to miss loads of games, Migs if he plays to provide plenty of f**k ups - but sadly based on the last 18 months none of these events would be a surprise.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2016 02:30:10 pm
      If what we can gather from his attitude during injury then I'm hoping that Ings is going to prove more than just a useful substitute.  Be great if that move really comes off.  He's my pick to surprise us positively.

Struggling to choose anyone who will disappoint us when we don't already expect it.  Expecting Henderson to further disappoint , Sturridge to miss loads of games, Migs if he plays to provide plenty of f**k ups - but sadly based on the last 18 months none of these events would be a surprise.

I expect Hendo to improve to be honest. He had a mad year last time around. Not saying he will change the world but improve, yes.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2016 03:05:52 pm
      Surprise Good - Ings (pick up where he left) & Markovic
      Surprise Bad - Ibe & Moreno (both of them not a surprise)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2016 03:43:16 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2016 04:20:16 pm
      Should it worry me that half of our projected starting lineup are pegged here to be pleasant surprises? :-\

I would vote for Markovic as well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2016 04:30:10 pm
      Surprise good - Firmino.

Surprise bad - Moreno. Does that even count?
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2016 04:44:52 pm
      Marković - with opportunity to play in a proper position and under right guidance I believe he could become a really good player. I'm sure Klopp will find the way to use Marković's pace and skills.

MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2016 04:51:25 pm
      Benteke  ;) :lmao:
      Medellin
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2016 04:51:43 pm
      Great shout regarding Hendo,the only worry is that if he does lose the armband to Lovren it could effect it.
      I'm hopeful that Studge will be banging goals in for fun this year.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2016 04:59:09 pm
      Good topic S@int  :gt-happyup:

Difficult to say who will surprise in a good way as so many progressed/improved in the 2nd half of last season that I'd expect those to continue on the same trajectory.  Lovren, Emre, Lallana, Allen and Origi all improved, Firmino did once he'd settled, and despite his brain farts even Moreno seemed to be getting there.  I'd say Hendo will be the noticeable one but only because his injuries and later his heel issue impacted badly on his season.  Then of course there's Ings who we really don't know about one way or another due to him missing all Jurgens time here.

Also we have so many 23/24 year olds and/or players about to enter their prime, that any one or all of them could suddenly make the jump to near superstar status.  Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Clyne, Hendo, Allen (if still here), Cou, Firmino, Studge, Ings plus any of Karius, Matip or Mane could suddenly hit their stride and make huge gains on previous seasons.

We could also see massive progress from any one of our younger players.  Gomez, Ojo, Ibe, Brannagan, Flanno, Markovic, Grujic or even one that's not even appeared yet could make an impact.

My good surprise is going to be Studge, as I think he'll have pretty injury free season.

My bad surprise is going to be Coutinho, as I think others will overtake his impact.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2016 04:59:23 pm
      Markovic.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2016 05:10:22 pm
      Moreno & Marko....M&M

fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2016 05:33:30 pm
      What an odd thread. How can you expect something to be a surprise 😂😉
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2016 05:41:22 pm
      What an odd thread. How can you expect something to be a surprise 😂😉

Expect it to be a surprise for others. I plan surprise birthday parties, I expect it to be a surprise for them, not for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2016 05:41:42 pm
      Balotelli ;-)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21: Jul 06, 2016 05:49:42 pm
      I think the good surprise will be Emre Can. He has it in him to become a really top midfielder, I think he might make giant strides this season.

The bad surprise for some will IMHO be Origi. If Sturridge gets injured I think many who currently hail the young Belgian may quickly change their minds. I take S@ints point about Firmino too, got to do much more this season if we are to challenge anywhere near the top of the league (assuming of course Jürgen picks him with the same regularity).

I think the younger players not breaking through will surprise many but not me. Brannigan and Ojo aren't good enough IMHO, while Grujic will for his first season be on the fringes at best.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Jul 06, 2016 06:13:44 pm
      while Grujic will for his first season be on the fringes at best

Grujic is one that could go either way. I hope he will be a monster of a player that helps stop us being bullied in midfield and brings more security at set pieces, but I fear he may prove to be another Biscan, good when given time on the ball, but who can't handle the hustle and bustle of the prem. 

Think you are going to be right about Can, wrong about Origi. I don't think Origi will ever be a 20+ goal a season player, but I think he will be a good player for us adding strength and pace when we need it. So your right I will be surprised :) 

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #23: Jul 06, 2016 07:24:04 pm

i agree with this though ;D

he's a proven scorer in the prem league. If he leaves us he will get goals.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #24: Jul 06, 2016 09:01:10 pm
      Firmino wil  do  good ...is not a surprise
      MsGerrard
      Reply #25: Jul 06, 2016 09:03:45 pm
      i agree with this though ;D

he's a proven scorer in the prem league. If he leaves us he will get goals.

Probably, just a shame it's not for us though !!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #26: Jul 07, 2016 09:52:46 am
      I think Markovic will be mine. If it's one thing that Jürgen loves that's quick players because it fits in with his gegen way of playing. It wouldnt suprise me to see Lazar  playing on the right and Mane on the left with Coutinho....on the bench.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #27: Jul 07, 2016 11:49:56 am
      Im curious to see how Mane gets going.
      A pleasant surprise would be Sturridge fit for the full season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Jul 07, 2016 11:50:45 am
      I can see Ings shining anytime he's given the chance and Origi having an in and out sort of season [something which comes with his age].

Henderson remaining captain and being the focal point of Jürgen's midfield; a surprise? Only to the folk who need to hate, I suppose.  >:D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Jul 07, 2016 12:14:02 pm
      I want to see Jordan Henderson get his form back and make some progression he stalled last year possibly due to injury but we need far more from him
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Jul 07, 2016 02:30:46 pm
      Ibe, we'll get a £15m bid for him.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 338 
      Reply #31: Jul 07, 2016 05:59:08 pm
      Ibe, we'll get a £15m bid for him.

Got any tips for the Lottery, mate? xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 338 
      Reply #32: Jul 07, 2016 06:07:01 pm
      I think they're all capable of surprising us one way or the other, which points to the inconsistency that's been a huge problem for years. 

I hope we keep a fairly stable starting 11 and formation and the players settle into it and play consistently as a solid team, as they can and did on too-few memorable occasions last season.  Then we might see progress up the league.

Player-wise:
      I'm still not sure about Firmino and Emre (sorry folks), and I've still got high hopes that guys like Lallana and Ings prove to be class acts!  But one player to surprise us all and come good (say it quietly)........... Alberto!

Neck firmly on chopping block!

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33: Jul 07, 2016 06:19:22 pm
      I think they're all capable of surprising us one way or the other, which points to the inconsistency that's been a huge problem for years. 

I hope we keep a fairly stable starting 11 and formation and the players settle into it and play consistently as a solid team, as they can and did on too-few memorable occasions last season.  Then we might see progress up the league.

Player-wise:
      I'm still not sure about Firmino and Emre (sorry folks), and I've still got high hopes that guys like Lallana and Ings prove to be class acts!  But one player to surprise us all and come good (say it quietly)........... Alberto!

Neck firmly on chopping block!

Do you mean Alberto the obviously talented but totally unsuited to the Premiership midfielder mate, or Alberto the spring heeled but ultimately thick as f*** left full back? I suppose put it like that and in my eyes it doesn't make much difference  ;D.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2016 12:32:15 am

Unpleasant - Lallana.
      Pleasant - like you I'd have to say Lovren.

This season - Ings.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2016 12:40:17 am
      Surprise: Karius & Matip both serem astute signings. Ings & Gomez coming back is a big win.
      Flop: Hendo. Captain to being unable to maintain a starting berth, by end of season. Alternative Milners legs to go, but it think thats unlikely with his T-total, 200% attitude.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2016 09:07:55 am
      I'm going for Mane to be our outstanding player this season, Klopp sees something special in him, hence his interest in him for a few years, he was good at Saints so how good will he become under Klopp?

My shocker for the season is unsurprisingly Moreno, he'll probably have a good start but will go back to his usual brainless self as the season progresses, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jürgen takes him out altogether and replaces him with Flanagan or Gomez.

YNWA
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2016 01:18:21 pm
      My pick would be Danny Ings.  before his injury he was starting to look pretty good.  he just needs a good run in the team and to stay injury free.  I think we have a class finisher with this lad

YNWA
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2016 01:43:04 pm
      Really think Karius is going to be the keeper we've needed!

I worry about Origi, I think he has the potential to be unreal I just think he lacks a clinical touch to really make him a regular!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Jul 08, 2016 01:49:20 pm
      I'm going for Mane to be our outstanding player this season, Klopp sees something special in him, hence his interest in him for a few years, he was good at Saints so how good will he become under Klopp?

My shocker for the season is unsurprisingly Moreno, he'll probably have a good start but will go back to his usual brainless self as the season progresses, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jürgen takes him out altogether and replaces him with Flanagan or Gomez.

YNWA

I'm really intrigued by Moreno mate. It's clear that unlike the majority of fans Jürgen seems to be happy enough with him starting next season. It was also interesting to see the stats about his chance creation being one of the best in the league so I think this one would be the biggest surprise to most of us if he makes a success of it.

I really think a brain surgeon is required rather than a football coach but I'll watch on with great interest.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2016 01:52:46 pm
      I'm really intrigued by Moreno mate. It's clear that unlike the majority of fans Jürgen seems to be happy enough with him starting next season. It was also interesting to see the stats about his chance creation being one of the best in the league so I think this one would be the biggest surprise to most of us if he makes a success of it.

I really think a brain surgeon is required rather than a football coach but I'll watch on with great interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGqY90zVoGU
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #41: Jul 08, 2016 02:20:15 pm
      Pleasant surprise - Grujic. I don't know much about the lad but he looks physically able to cope with the league and hopefully he bring some steel to our midfield.

Unplease surprise - Sturridge. One good season since he joined us and has been injured for the rest of the time. Big season for him to prove he's one of the best.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #42: Jul 08, 2016 03:41:54 pm

:lmao:

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #43: Jul 11, 2016 08:22:02 pm
      I think Ryan Kent will get a few opportunities and will impress.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #44: Jul 11, 2016 09:17:47 pm

Just saying it now. He's total sh*t and i'd be very surprised if he got on the pitch this season for Liverpool.

And Moreno won't be surprising anybody either. Worst left back in the league by a distance.

Think Mane will be our success story this year if he stays fit and gets a run of matches.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Jul 11, 2016 09:26:10 pm
      Karius. Hope I don't jynx it here but I think he will be boss.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #46: Jul 11, 2016 09:28:54 pm
      Karius. Hope I don't jynx it here but I think he will be boss.

I was encouraged the way he came out of his box, wayyy up the pitch whereas Migs would try and hide behind the posts.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #47: Jul 11, 2016 09:32:21 pm
      I was encouraged the way he came out of his box, wayyy up the pitch whereas Migs would try and hide behind the posts.

Got the same optimistic feeling about this lad as when we signed Pepe. Already looks much more confident than Migs.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #48: Jul 11, 2016 09:34:32 pm
      Got the same optimistic feeling about this lad as when we signed Pepe. Already looks much more confident than Migs.

He does have that look of a mentality saying to himself...this is my job now...think Migs will be going elsewhere come next season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #49: Jul 11, 2016 09:39:23 pm
      He does have that look of a mentality saying to himself...this is my job now...think Migs will be going elsewhere come next season.

As Migs goes, I think back up keeper is his level unless he wants to drop back down the likes of Sunderland again but I do agree, he wont like being on the bench for a season so I can see him leaving next summer. Will have plenty of time left on his contract thanks to that new one he signed so we should even get a relatively decent price for him.

Think Ojo could surprise us this season too, looked very promising in the games he played at the end of the season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #50: Jul 11, 2016 09:44:20 pm
      Migs for me as he reinvents himself as a midfielder with the passing ability of xabi Alonso, tackling of Stevie Gerrard and dribbling of messi
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #51: Jul 11, 2016 09:57:24 pm
      Migs for me as he reinvents himself as a midfielder with the passing ability of xabi Alonso, tackling of Stevie Gerrard and dribbling of messi

This has just reminded me of the time Pepe Reina played in midfield for us during a pre season game
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #52: Jul 11, 2016 10:27:26 pm
      I want every player to surprise us this season and win that fu////ge  league,come on you REDS. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #53: Jul 12, 2016 02:58:11 am

Can't remember where I saw it, but I read somewhere that Moreno created the most chances in attack AND had the most successful recovery tackles of any defender in the Prem.  Considering Klopp wants our defensive line to play closer to the halfway line rather than our own 18 yard line, I think Moreno fits nicely into the gaffer's tactical setup.

For me, the good surprise will be Studge staying fit and finishing top goal scorer in the Prem :)  I would also say Moreno, but I will be one of the few who won't be surprised when he has a breakout season   :)

Bad surprises will be Markovic and Firmino.    While Lazar is a talented footballer, I don't think he will fit Klopp's high pressing game.  He likes to keep things simple and I think he is better suited to a team that likes to keep possession and work the ball around in a slow, structured fashion. As for Bobby -- aside from his purple patch in the middle of the season he was dreadful for the most part and I think he'll struggle to hold down a regular place this term....

For what it's worth, I actually think our go to starting 11 this season will be: 

Loris
      Clyne - Matip - Sakho - Moreno
      Can - Hendo
      Mane - Coutinho - Lallana
      Studge

Edit:  I can't find the article that said Moreno had the most recovery tackles of any defender, but www.premierleague.com shows he had 242 recoveries in 60 matches, so just over 4 per match.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016 03:14:41 am by harrydunn08 »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #54: Jul 12, 2016 03:51:13 am
      Can't remember where I saw it, but I read somewhere that Moreno created the most chances in attack AND had the most successful recovery tackles of any defender in the Prem. 

He's going to break someones leg with his specialty 2 footed from behind recovery tackle. Looks great when he pulls it off, but completely out of control. Stupidly he normally has to attempt it as trying to recover from being out of position as he switches off.

Hopefully Juergen can knock some sense into him. Other than his lack of concentration he has the qualities of a good player, just needs to be more clinical when running the length of the pitch on the break and needs to whip them in from the byline more often.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #55: Jul 12, 2016 09:27:07 am
      Good - Moreno
      Bad - Sturridge
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #56: Jul 12, 2016 09:46:50 am
      Good - Jordan Henderson
      Less good - Matip......I fear it may take the big guy time to settle
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #57: Jul 12, 2016 09:48:33 am
      Joe Allen was the surprise last season. His performances under Brendan were mostly appalling which was surprising considering Brendan was his biggest fan. Under Jürgen he must have felt he had a real point to prove, and he did.  Joe doesn't have enough in his locker to start every single game for us but he became a crucial squad member during our cup runs.

The biggest disappointment last season was a toss up between Mignolet and Moreno. The pair of them cost us so many points and if we had a more consistent goalkeeper & full back I'm convinced we would have finished top four.

I'm a big admirer of Ings and I suspect he will surprise a few this season. If given the chance I'm sure he will bag plenty of goals for us. But the biggest surprise this season I'm going to go for Emre Can.  He has shown some promise but he has also proven to be inconsistent and at times a bit of a headless chicken.  He needs to add more to his game in terms of goals and/or assists, dominating the midfield, turning defence to attack, being more consistent and becoming a leader. I think he will do all of that and will be our stand out performer this season. I expect him to flourish under Klopp and go on and captain us.

The biggest disappointment will definitely be Mane. Unfortunately for him we paid a large fee and I strongly doubt he will ever live up to that price tag. Unless he finds consistency then he will come under lots of criticism. I've made no secret that I was against this signing and I think we will see next season that he is quite average.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Jul 12, 2016 10:24:42 am
      Can't remember where I saw it, but I read somewhere that Moreno created the most chances in attack AND had the most successful recovery tackles of any defender in the Prem.  Considering Klopp wants our defensive line to play closer to the halfway line rather than our own 18 yard line, I think Moreno fits nicely into the gaffer's tactical setup.

For me, the good surprise will be Studge staying fit and finishing top goal scorer in the Prem :)  I would also say Moreno, but I will be one of the few who won't be surprised when he has a breakout season   :)

Bad surprises will be Markovic and Firmino.    While Lazar is a talented footballer, I don't think he will fit Klopp's high pressing game.  He likes to keep things simple and I think he is better suited to a team that likes to keep possession and work the ball around in a slow, structured fashion. As for Bobby -- aside from his purple patch in the middle of the season he was dreadful for the most part and I think he'll struggle to hold down a regular place this term....

For what it's worth, I actually think our go to starting 11 this season will be: 

Loris
      Can - Hendo
      Studge

Edit:  I can't find the article that said Moreno had the most recovery tackles of any defender, but www.premierleague.com shows he had 242 recoveries in 60 matches, so just over 4 per match.

Fair enough that Harry, I would just say that Moreno does give himself more opportunities for recoveries by being out of position more than all the other LBs in the league combined (slight exaggeration). I totally agree with your point though that if he could sort out his defensive positioning and moments of madness he does have an awful lot of the attributes to make it to the very top.

The problem is that for as exceptional as he is in certain areas he more than compensates for that with how poor he is in others, massive work to be done but it does appear as if Jürgen believes he's up to the challenge, good luck to him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #59: Jul 12, 2016 10:35:51 am

Loris
      Can - Hendo
      Studge

Not the old chances created stat.
      Even more useless than miles covered. Most of his chances created have been with laying the ball off to Coutinho to cut in and stick the ball into the top stand!

His recovery tackles are so high because his positioning and awareness is so poor.

Hopefully the pre season can instil some basics of defending into him - but personally I am sceptical.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #60: Jul 12, 2016 11:29:44 am
      I love this 'if Moreno could sort out his defensive problems he'd be great' chat.

If Mignolet stopped letting the ball past him and his distribution was good' he'd be good too.

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle and all that.

Moreno is what Moreno is you can't teach what he lacks.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016 11:35:50 am by Venison 86, Reason: typo »
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #61: Jul 12, 2016 11:39:53 am
      He's going to break someones leg with his specialty 2 footed from behind recovery tackle. Looks great when he pulls it off, but completely out of control.

And yet not a single red card.  If so many of his tackles are 2 footed, from behind, and out of control then he is either extremely lucky or he is very good at the skill of timing his tackles.  Considering the pedigree of our manager and the fact he seems happy for Berto to be 1st Choice again this season, I'm gonna stick to my guns and say he is better than most give him credit for.  I think he will excel in a team with a well drilled high line and pressing scheme.  With more of his own players and a full season to implement these tactics, I think Klopp will bring the best out of Moreno this year ;)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #62: Jul 12, 2016 05:11:30 pm

Loris
      Can - Hendo
      Studge

Could be Harry, I myself am trying come to terms that Lovren starts on the bench...can't quite get my head around that one.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #63: Jul 12, 2016 07:54:39 pm
      Could be Harry, I myself am trying come to terms that Lovren starts on the bench...can't quite get my head around that one.

Lovren / Sakho was the hardest pick for me.  Lovren really turned it on after Klopp's arrival and he may well be 1st choice going into the new season.  However, I gave it to Mama for 3 reasons.

1.  I think he's a better passer and Klopp wants us to be able to win the ball back and quickly transition straight into attack.  The way Mama fires the ball into the feet of his teammates will help get the ball to our danger men quickly.

2.  Speed.  I think Sakho is a touch quicker than Dejan and when you play a high defensive line you need pace to be able to recover if/when the line is breached with a good 3rd man run and through ball.

3.  Natural left footer on the left side of defense. 
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #64: Jul 13, 2016 12:58:59 am
      I'm going for Origi as the pleasant surprise.  Unpleasant Moreno.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #65: Jul 13, 2016 02:44:43 am
      I'm going for Origi as the pleasant surprise.  Unpleasant Moreno.

Wasn't that pretty much last season?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #66: Jul 13, 2016 04:26:39 am
      And yet not a single red card.  If so many of his tackles are 2 footed, from behind, and out of control then he is either extremely lucky or he is very good at the skill of timing his tackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qybpKETBQo

Looks rash to me.

He's got the skillset to pull it off, I just don't think he has the brain to time it right 50% of the time. Looks great when it works;
      https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/ldqm.mp4
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #67: Jul 13, 2016 02:06:25 pm
      Nice O.P saint and interesting to read people's expectations.

Based on this past season Lovren was without a doubt the nicest surprise for me, proved himself to be our best defender and gives real hope from a defensive standpoint. Mick has been calling him the future Captain for some time and I'll gladly hear him repeat "I told you so" if it happens because he is by far the most suited to the role in my opinion. The other nice surprise was Origi, I'd all but written him off based on his early season performances but following his injury he came back a completely different player, he put on a bit of muscle and actually started putting himself about, he ran the channels, he played more direct and showed a few strikers instincts.

For the coming season:

Nice surprise - Joe Gomez will carry on where he left off under Brendan. Expect him to play in every position across our back line as first reserve and he'll challenge Matip for a spot alongside Lovren by mid-season.

Nice Surprise - Ojo will get more minutes and build on the promise he showed back end of last season. He'll score at least four goals for the first team next season.

Not so nice surprise - Emre Can turns out NOT to be the player everybody hopes he will be. It turns out that despite the occasional world beating performance he is just a little too slow, a little too immobile and wants a bit too much time on the ball to be the lynchpin of our midfield for the next 10 years.

Not so nice surprise - Karius struggles and mignolet is back between the sticks by November. Young keeper, new league. He wouldn't be the first to struggle. Hope it doesn't bloody happen!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #68: Jul 14, 2016 04:03:07 am

Yeh may be.  But for me Lovren was the pleasant surprise.  As for the unpleasant I would thought Moreno has been a lot of people's list since he came and my guess at the moment will be that he will be on a lot of peoples list for as long as he is here.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #69: Jul 14, 2016 10:56:29 pm

Ha fair point.

I'm going for Grujic to surprise now. Totally based on a pre season friendly against FLeetwood Town and him celebrating like a boss. I like to get excited me you know?

It's meant to be fun isn't it?

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #70: Jul 14, 2016 10:58:08 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qybpKETBQo

Looks rash to me.

He's got the skillset to pull it off, I just don't think he has the brain to time it right 50% of the time. Looks great when it works;
      https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/ldqm.mp4

Why don't you put his and Clyne's assists from last season up too?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #71: Jul 14, 2016 11:10:07 pm
      Why don't you put his and Clyne's assists from last season up too?

No offense, but I'd much rather my defenders defend first and assist second. :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #72: Jul 14, 2016 11:16:42 pm
      Ha fair point.

I'm going for Grujic to surprise now. Totally based on a pre season friendly against FLeetwood Town and him celebrating like a boss. I like to get excited me you know?

It's meant to be fun isn't it?

It is WAHS...It is way early but Grujic looks to have the tools there where if the gaffer can progress him there is a very high upside...If he does that and Emre continues his growth you have the makings of a very lethal back two.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #73: Jul 15, 2016 03:36:18 am
      For me, anyone. Not one player has really stood up and said "here I am"

If we have just one player to do that, that would be nice.

Look at our last game of last season, is there one player who stood out?

No, not really.

Just to have anyone stand up and shout would be good. To me, to have any of our players surprise us would be good, call me cynical, but Firminho, Coutinho, Henderson....blah blah blah, lets just have someone say, "here I am".
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #74: Jul 15, 2016 06:02:26 am
      Ha fair point.

I'm going for Grujic to surprise now. Totally based on a pre season friendly against FLeetwood Town and him celebrating like a boss.

It is WAHS...It is way early but Grujic looks to have the tools there where if the gaffer can progress him there is a very high upside...If he does that and Emre continues his growth you have the makings of a very lethal back two.

I agree based on recent game.
      He certainly put himself about and with Can could be a good partnership.

Grujic and Mane..... but you would expect the latter at his price.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #75: Jul 15, 2016 09:30:48 am
      No offense, but I'd much rather my defenders defend first and assist second. :D

You missed the point.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #76: Jul 15, 2016 11:00:14 am
      2015/16

Moreno 1 goal    6 assists
      Clyne    2 goals  1 assist

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #77: Jul 15, 2016 11:28:17 am
      Moreno will be a surprise to me if he remains as our first choice left back, he really isn't very good is he.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #78: Jul 15, 2016 11:36:16 am
      2015/16

Moreno 1 goal    6 assists

Provided for the opposition?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #79: Jul 15, 2016 11:57:48 am
      Many a true word said in jest. The penalty where he had two goes at chopping the guy down to concede a penalty before succeeding at the second attempt spring to mind.
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #80: Jul 15, 2016 12:53:16 pm
      ???

I was hoping Allan Rodrigues would step up, two pre season games and no sight of him have I missed something

???

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #81: Jul 15, 2016 12:55:36 pm
      ???

I was hoping Allan Rodrigues would step up, two pre season games and no sight of him have I missed something????

He can't get a work permit.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #82: Jul 21, 2016 09:47:46 am
      ???

I was hoping Allan Rodrigues would step up, two pre season games and no sight of him have I missed something

???

Yeah, he's not there.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 21, 2016 10:02:58 am
      My fear is that we seem to fancy quantity over quality.  I realise without Champions league attracting the best is difficult, but other teams seem to manage it.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #84: Jul 21, 2016 10:38:26 am
      Sturridge to have injury free season and hit 30 goals.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #85: Jul 21, 2016 11:49:37 am
      Surprise Good - Grujic
      Surprise Bad - Origi

Surprise Good - Origi
      Surprise Bad - Lets be positive - Nobody
      I'm just looking forward to a Klopp team for the full season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #86: Nov 10, 2016 01:37:18 pm
      Thought I'd ressurect this thread so folks could review their summer thoughts.

I know it's only 11 games in but I'm bored, there's no footy on and I'm sick of reading nowt but politics.

I got my 2 totally wrong, good surprise - Studge and bad surprise - Coutinho but overall my comments weren't far wrong with how many young players on the brink of hitting their peak years could step up this season.

Having read through the whole thread, not one person mentioned Milner either good or bad.  Just shows how easy we as fans overlook our own players, he's been a revelation at LB. 

Who'd a thought eh!

Difficult to say who will surprise in a good way as so many progressed/improved in the 2nd half of last season that I'd expect those to continue on the same trajectory.  Lovren, Emre, Lallana, Allen and Origi all improved, Firmino did once he'd settled, and despite his brain farts even Moreno seemed to be getting there.  I'd say Hendo will be the noticeable one but only because his injuries and later his heel issue impacted badly on his season.  Then of course there's Ings who we really don't know about one way or another due to him missing all Jurgens time here.

Also we have so many 23/24 year olds and/or players about to enter their prime, that any one or all of them could suddenly make the jump to near superstar status.  Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Clyne, Hendo, Allen (if still here), Cou, Firmino, Studge, Ings plus any of Karius, Matip or Mane could suddenly hit their stride and make huge gains on previous seasons.

We could also see massive progress from any one of our younger players.  Gomez, Ojo, Ibe, Brannagan, Flanno, Markovic, Grujic or even one that's not even appeared yet could make an impact.

My good surprise is going to be Studge, as I think he'll have pretty injury free season.

My bad surprise is going to be Coutinho, as I think others will overtake his impact.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #87: Nov 10, 2016 01:42:40 pm
      Pleasant surprise - Grujic. I don't know much about the lad but he looks physically able to cope with the league and hopefully he bring some steel to our midfield.

Unplease surprise - Sturridge. One good season since he joined us and has been injured for the rest of the time. Big season for him to prove he's one of the best.

I haven't seen enough from either to prove myself right or wrong!

I expected to see a little bit more of Grujic but we went and signed Wijnaldum about 2 weeks later. Still from what I've seen of him he looks a good player.

Sturridge I guess it hasn't worked out for him but through no fault of his own, he's just being kept out of the team by a form-of-his-life Firmino.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #88: Nov 10, 2016 02:56:42 pm
      Looks like I put the kiss of death on Ings in my earlier prediction.  Sorry about that Danny.

I expected to see a little bit more of Grujic

Not had much of a look in has he.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #89: Nov 10, 2016 03:02:21 pm
      I jokingly put Balotelli but he seems to have found his level in French football.

I've been very impressed with all our players so far, including reserves. Hell even Moreno looks much improved.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4923 
      Reply #90: Nov 10, 2016 03:34:58 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #91: Nov 10, 2016 03:48:32 pm
      Surprise Good - Origi
      Surprise Bad - Lets be positive - Nobody
      I'm just looking forward to a Klopp team for the full season.

Origi's been ok...but nothing more than expected to be fair.
      Grujic, I doubt he's going to get much first team football this year at this rate, unless there's injuries.

Quick Reply