Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your greatest ever LFC manager

Joe Fagan
      (0%)
      Rafa Benitez
      (4.9%)
      Bob Paisley
      (54.9%)
      Bill Shankly
      (35.2%)
      Kenny Dalglish
      (4.9%)
      Gerard Houllier
      (0%)

Finally - greatest ever LFC manager

Read 8082 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Finally - greatest ever LFC manager
      Reply #46: Jul 13, 2016 09:34:11 am
      Yes Billy you are of course correct, T.V. Williams does indeed deserve alot of credit, wasn't Phil Taylor the manager prior to Shanks, I'm sure that's correct Billy but please correct me if I'm wrong,

some are saying that Bob and Kenny inherited winning sides when they became manager,that's true but they also built their own sides too and incorporated their own influences upon them, both were former player's of course and Bob in particular has just about held every post there is, so it could be argued that Bob put a wee bit more in than Shanks did, but I'm not!

YNWA

Billy,Phil Taylor was indeed the manager prior to Bill Shankly,he took over from Don Welsh who had taken us down to the old 2nd division.He was acting manager and later made full time manager.He had an outstanding international career and as I have previously stated was a good footballer.
       Bob Paisley,I have already stated was a fantastic footballer and was fully committed out on the pitch,I used to love watching him play.We made one hell of a mistake dropping him for the 1950 F.A.Cup final against Arsenal after he had scored in the semi final to knock Everton out.Any other player would of walked  but not Bob and it was lucky for L.F.C.that he did not walk.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #47: Jul 13, 2016 01:24:36 pm
      Billy,Phil Taylor was indeed the manager prior to Bill Shankly,he took over from Don Welsh who had taken us down to the old 2nd division.He was acting manager and later made full time manager.He had an outstanding international career and as I have previously stated was a good footballer.
       Bob Paisley,I have already stated was a fantastic footballer and was fully committed out on the pitch,I used to love watching him play.We made one hell of a mistake dropping him for the 1950 F.A.Cup final against Arsenal after he had scored in the semi final to knock Everton out.Any other player would of walked  but not Bob and it was lucky for L.F.C.that he did not walk.

This what I love about this club, and the forum, we get posters like your good self Billy that have walked the walk and have actually witnessed with their own eyes events that have happened in our clubs history,
      Time stops for no man, so for most of us we only get to read or watch stuff about our history, so for me it's particularly appreciative to converse with someone who was part of that history, albeit if only as a supporter,  it doesn't matter, you were there!

In regards to Bob missing out in that cup final Billy, isn't that the reason Souness as captain sent him up the Wembley steps all those years later,
      Further proof if needed the regard players and fans alike has for 'Sir Bob'

YNWA
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #48: Jul 13, 2016 02:49:46 pm
      Shankly. He is to Liverpool like St Peter is to the Vatican.

But who is Jesus?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #49: Jul 13, 2016 09:28:19 pm
      It has to be Bill Shankly,he had the nouse to keep Bob Paisley on the staff,different to managers of today who have a mass clear out when they take over a club.He also had the nouse to keep Joe Fagan, Ronnie Moran,Roy Evans and the lad who was a first class scout for us for many years Geoff Twentyman.He brought a dying club to life and gave us supporters hope for the future.Bob Joe and Kenny were brilliant managers in their own right but Shanks brought a dying club to life and deserves to be named the best.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Bob was the most successful manager no doubt, but would he have been able to achieve all he did, if he had taken on the club, when it was in the state that Shanks took it on.
      There's never been a manager anywhere in world football that I have heard of, who built a club that was a complete shambles, into the dynasty that it became. Completely out on his own. No comparisons anywhere.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #50: Jul 13, 2016 09:37:15 pm
      I agree with this whole heartedly. Bob was the most successful manager no doubt, but would he have been able to achieve all he did, if he had taken on the club, when it was in the state that Shanks took it on.
      There's never been a manager anywhere in world football that I have heard of, who built a club that was a complete shambles, into the dynasty that it became. Completely out on his own. No comparisons anywhere.

I am not sure if my memory is playing tricks but I am sure both Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan did not initially want the managers job when first offered to them.Thank God they both changed their minds and took the job.The rest as they say is history.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016 09:58:23 pm by Billy1 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: Jul 13, 2016 09:41:42 pm

He played inside right alongside Ian StJohn
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016 09:58:53 pm by Billy1 »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #52: Jul 14, 2016 10:31:10 am
      I can't vote until I see Woy on the list. Sorry.  :f_sorry:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #53: Jul 14, 2016 10:58:44 am
      I can't vote until I see Woy on the list. Sorry.  :f_sorry:

To find Woy you need to look at the failed England managers list,it is preferable not to have the tw*t on successfull L.F.C. managers list.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #54: Jul 14, 2016 01:27:08 pm
      Love all of them names. Esp. Kenny, But BOB was the best simply because of the massive success he had, but tbf Shanks set that up. The rest carried it forward.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #55: Jul 14, 2016 01:39:33 pm
      I am not sure if my memory is playing tricks but I am sure both Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan did not initially want the managers job when first offered to them.Thank God they both changed their minds and took the job.The rest as they say is history.

Bob Paisley really didn't want the job and had to be persuaded he didn't do too badly and Joe did ok too.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: Jul 14, 2016 02:52:01 pm
      Sir Bob Paisley. No two ways about it. There may have been managers of more style but none of more substance.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #57: Jul 15, 2016 12:37:21 am
      Not an issue with the sentiments towards the title of "Sir Bob" as it shows the devotion and love towards the man here - but, hey, he's well beyond some paltry useless award that has been given to the likes of Jimmy Savile, Norman Bettison, Fred Goodwin etc.

Let's call him a saint - that his true status!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #58: Jul 24, 2016 02:56:12 pm
      Let's call him a saint - that his true status!

I prefer Genius.

He just knew football.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Jul 24, 2016 05:56:20 pm
      I prefer Genius.

He just knew football.

we already have a "Saint" and we have a"God" and of course the "miracle of Istanbul" .
      Sir Bob clearly new all there was about football but I reckon he knew just as much about people too.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #60: Jul 24, 2016 06:01:04 pm
      Shanks. Took us from the margins to winners, built the foundations, simple principles, no nonsense.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #61: Jul 26, 2016 06:56:45 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFChistory/status/757920780852178944

He protected Shanks foundation, has kept great work, established Liverpool domestic and Europe domination. What a legend.

https://twitter.com/LFChistory/status/757966387109388288
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #62: Jul 26, 2016 11:04:40 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFChistory/status/757920780852178944

He protected Shanks foundation, has kept great work, established Liverpool domestic and Europe domination. What a legend.

https://twitter.com/LFChistory/status/757966387109388288

How did we manage in those days with only 1 sub and no big squads,oh thats right we had a reserve team who knew what was required of them when needed.Back to Bob he never ever let this club down from player to manager and as advisor to Kenny.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #63: Jul 27, 2016 10:47:43 am
      Bob was the most successful manager no doubt, but would he have been able to achieve all he did, if he had taken on the club, when it was in the state that Shanks took it on.

The reds had finished 3rd, 4th, 4th in the previous three seasons before Shanks came in - yes they were having a tough time in 59/60 going backwards but we just don't know what Paisley would have done. 

They are clearly two outstanding managers - Shanks was manager of my all time LFC XI but I can completely understand why the majority gave it to Bob.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #64: Jul 27, 2016 10:52:38 am
      The reds had finished 3rd, 4th, 4th in the previous three seasons before Shanks came in - yes they were having a tough time in 59/60 going backwards but we just don't know what Paisley would have done. 

They are clearly two outstanding managers - Shanks was manager of my all time LFC XI but I can completely understand why the majority gave it to Bob.

Ditto me JD.

What a great quandary.........the man who perfected it or the man who built the greatest footballing dynasty these islands have seen.....?

Quick Reply