Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Colin Murray resigns from Talksport after News Corp buyout

Read 4626 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Re: Colin Murray resigns from Talksport after News Corp buyout
      Reply #23: Jul 15, 2016 11:47:18 am
      I've always liked Colin - right back to that shitty breakfast show he did on channel 4 after 'The Big Breakfast". He is a good red, proper red - I've seen him talk about his experiences as a fan before.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2016 10:35:27 am
      I can't stand TalkShite and I'd rather have my teeth extracted with rusty pliers and no anaesthetic than tune in but fair play to Colin Murray. He was a great host of Fighting Talk on Five Live.

Cant we just pretend to boycott even though we haven't listened to it. The few times I have been channel hoping and come across it I was bewildered why anyone would listen to it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2016 10:47:18 am
      Cant we just pretend to boycott even though we haven't listened to it. The few times I have been channel hoping and come across it I was bewildered why anyone would listen to it.

It wasn't always horrendous, but it descended into lower denominator trash, the red top of the airwaves.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #26: Jul 16, 2016 10:52:53 am

Exactly right. Why listen when Five Live has sports shows each weekday evening, plus podcasts and lots of sport at the weekend?

It wasn't always horrendous, but it descended into lower denominator trash, the red top of the airwaves.

It's not just me then who describes it as you have. Truly awful radio.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #27: Jul 16, 2016 10:53:05 am
      To me it's more adverts and Sun newspaper type chit chat. Didn't mind Collymore but that's about it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #28: Jul 16, 2016 11:15:25 am
      To me it's more adverts and Sun newspaper type chit chat. Didn't mind Collymore but that's about it.

Takes me 2hrs to drive back from Edinburgh a couple days a week and if there's something particularly depressing on 5Live I very occasionally switch to this mob - usually that's Durham and Gough.

Two grade A bellends who do their job very well - talk inane pish and provoke people........
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Jul 16, 2016 11:59:04 am
      Takes me 2hrs to drive back from Edinburgh a couple days a week and if there's something particularly depressing on 5Live I very occasionally switch to this mob - usually that's Durham and Gough.

Two grade A bellends who do their job very well - talk inane pish and provoke people........

Used to be type of thing I'd do mate but plenty of podcasts out there now I use through Podcast Addict instead when I'm driving.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2016 12:05:33 pm
      Used to be type of thing I'd do mate but plenty of podcasts out there now I use through Podcast Addict instead when I'm driving.

I love podcasts, subscribe to 73 of them. Actually ran out of new ones this week, twice. The Dollop has became my favourite, of late.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,179 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31: Jul 20, 2016 10:44:27 pm
      Thought I would stick this in here rather than start another thread.

https://twitter.com/livechonews/status/755778243312099328
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Jul 20, 2016 11:07:33 pm

Yep, massive respect for that, wish him all the best for the future. In a world so lacking in principles this kind of story really touches home for me. Top man.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #33: Jul 21, 2016 10:40:11 am
      Yep, massive respect for that, wish him all the best for the future. In a world so lacking in principles this kind of story really touches home for me. Top man.

Unfortunately, there are few and far of these people with principles to make any kind difference. We need more people with principle in these dark times unfortunately money rules. :(
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #34: Jul 21, 2016 11:39:08 am
      I respect this man for his stance.  No true Liverpool supporter would have done anything else.

I see that Kelvin 'the rat' McKenzie continues to demonstrate what a sh*thouse he is.

Nothing changes.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #35: Jul 21, 2016 11:51:28 am

Huge respect for him, good to see top journo's stand by their principles,

Good luck Tony, Top man!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Jul 21, 2016 11:53:32 am

Licking sh*te of sewer walls I hope,  total kunt of a human being!

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #37: Jul 21, 2016 11:56:55 am

Fatima Manji: The Truth - why Kelvin MacKenzie's smears won't stop me from doing my job.

14:34, 19 JUL 2016 UPDATED 15:05, 19 JUL 2016
      BY FATIMA MANJI

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Muslim Channel Four News journalist writes for the ECHO after former S*n editor's criticism

SHARES

Fatima Manji (Pic: Channel 4 News)

Former S*n editor Kelvin MacKenzie sparked more than 800 complaints to press regulator Ipso after criticising Fatima Manji for wearing a Hijab on Channel Four News while reporting on the Nice attack.

Writing exclusively for the ECHO, Fatima sets out exactly why he was so wrong
      It would be easy to dismiss Kelvin MacKenzie as an embarrassing, and serially embarrassed, relic of a bygone era in British journalism.

After all, this is the man who slurred survivors of one of our most tragic national atrocities of recent decades. It took him 23 years to apologise and four more to claim he was ā€œcaught upā€ in a government conspiracy to tarnish Hillsborough victims, only after being confronted by brave campaigners and responsible journalists, including my Channel 4 News colleague Alex Thomson and the tireless team at the Liverpool Echo.

So Iā€™m not expecting an apology from him any time soon.

The Sun, you will recall, is the newspaper that appears at ease with its columnists describing refugees dying at sea as ā€œcockroachesā€.

But itā€™s dangerous to regard Mr MacKenzie and those who echo his Islamophobic sentiments as mere pantomime villains. Their soapbox allows them to spread their ill-informed, irresponsible and malevolent invective to millions of readers. Racist and Islamophobic rhetoric has real consequences ā€“ lives have been lost and shattered in our own country.

I was grief-stricken by the massacre in Nice, particularly by the haunting image of a little girlā€™s corpse laying next to the doll that was once her companion.

Mr MacKenzie seemed to find my appearance on his screen equally horrific: ā€˜The scenes from Nice shocked audiences around the world, but did the C4 hosts (sic) headress (sic)?ā€™

Widespread campaign

Mr MacKenzieā€™s article was but one wild screed in a long-running and widespread campaign to intimidate Muslims out of public life. Young men and women of all backgrounds regularly ask me for advice on how to forge a career in journalism. Mr MacKenzieā€™s monologue will frighten many of them into believing that they will be on the end of tabloid attacks merely for daring to do their jobs.

ā€˜Was it done to stick one in the eye of the ordinary viewer who looks at the hijab as a sign of the slavery of Muslim women by a male-dominated and clearly violent religion?ā€™

Kelvin MacKenzie has attempted to smear 1.6 billion Muslims in suggesting they are inherently violent. He has attempted to smear half of them further by suggesting they are helpless slaves. And he has attempted to smear me by suggesting I would sympathise with a terrorist.

In response to this, I have received kind messages from friends, colleagues, acquaintances and even those I have never met, expressing solidarity and anger at his words.

However, others took Mr MacKenzieā€™s column as licence to manufacture a debate on whether someone like me even belongs on screen. Among them was the Guardianā€™s Roy Greenslade, who chose to cite the views of his ā€˜woman friendā€™ to give Mr MacKenzieā€™s jackbooted variety of Islamophobia some liberal credence. Meanwhile, other outlets have taken to discussing whether or not I am a 'token'.

The truth is I always pride myself on journalistic integrity regardless of who Iā€™m interviewing or what story Iā€™m covering.

That is my mission at Channel 4 News. I will not be deterred in this mission by the efforts of those who find the presence of Muslims in British cultural life offensive.

THE TRUTH? I confess. I pi**ed on Kelvin MacKenzieā€™s apparent ambitions to force anyone who looks a little different off our screens, and Iā€™ll keep doing it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fatima-manji-truth-kelvin-mackenzies-11635404
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2016 12:10:07 pm

He said the channel 4 presenter Fatima Manje should not have been reporting the Nice atrocity because she is a Muslim and wears a hijab.  Fatima's response was that it was one wild screed in a campaign to to intimidate Muslims out of public life.   Still I suppose they have to find a new target now it's illegal to demonise the lesbian and gay community.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2016 12:27:56 pm
      To be honest, I do not know him but what he did is brilliant! YNWA & JFT96
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #40: Jul 21, 2016 01:27:38 pm
      Nice to see someone sticking to their values and principals irrespective of cash.  i know he won't be short of a bob or two or another job offer, but fair play to him

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2016 03:34:00 pm
      Ex-Liverpool player David Thompson quits talkSPORT over links with The S*n

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/ex-liverpool-player-david-thompson-11646728
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2016 03:35:50 pm
      good little player Thompson and obviously a decent human being to.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,179 posts | 4402 
      Reply #43: Sep 05, 2016 12:11:42 pm
      Tony Barrett starts his new job today with Joe.co.uk.

Hopefully with him joining they might improve their quality.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1640 
      Reply #44: Sep 05, 2016 06:15:11 pm
      Tony Barrett starts his new job today with Joe.co.uk.

Hopefully with him joining they might improve their quality.

Seriously? How has he wound up working for joe.co.uk?!

Excellent journalist, shows the state of modern journalism if a guy like that has to lower his standards like that.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #45: Sep 05, 2016 06:29:14 pm
      Seriously? How has he wound up working for joe.co.uk?!

Excellent journalist, shows the state of modern journalism if a guy like that has to lower his standards like that.
      Totally agree,great journalist and was far & away far superior than bascombe
      & Pearce when he was at the Liverpool Echo,he is the only Liverpool corespondent I'll ever bother reading.

Quick Reply