Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-Season #3: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Liverpool

Read 20071 times
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Re: Pre-Season #3: Wigan Athletic vs. Liverpool FC, 17/7/2016
      Reply #161: Jul 17, 2016 06:31:56 pm
      Still another good run out, a couple of goals and a clean sheet. Can we read anything into these clean sheets? Are they indicative of a stronger understanding and more solid shape with Karius, Matip and Lovren?

It's more about effective front pressing, opponents lack quality passing option due to ours aggressive play. When they come to us eventually defense is already in a good position.

Of course, as S@int mentioned, opponents are not very strong.
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2016 06:51:14 pm by Red John »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #162: Jul 17, 2016 06:38:53 pm
      It's no coincidence when Lucas plays, we play football, he oozes composure and it is his presence that calms the team down, his ability to slow the tempo allows our players more time to make those runs behind their defense or into space to receive the ball in a better position. Still our best #6.
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2016 06:49:11 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #164: Jul 17, 2016 07:05:35 pm
      It's no coincidence when Lucas plays, we play football, he oozes composure and it is his presence that calms the team down, his ability to change tempo allows our players more time to make those runs behind their defense or into space to receive the ball in a better position. Still our best #6.

Always the most underrated and under appreciated aspect of the team and for the past 5+ years Lucas has been just as underrated and under appreciated within our team as the position is in the whole of football. Letting him go and not replacing him with someone even better at being an actual #6 (not Emre Can) would be an absolutely massive oversight and a crushing blow going into the season.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Re: Pre-Season #3: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Liverpool
      Reply #165: Jul 17, 2016 07:49:07 pm
      Always the most underrated and under appreciated aspect of the team and for the past 5+ years Lucas has been just as underrated and under appreciated within our team as the position is in the whole of football. Letting him go and not replacing him with someone even better at being an actual #6 (not Emre Can) would be an absolutely massive oversight and a crushing blow going into the season.

Is Grujic not similar to Lucas in terms of position?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #166: Jul 17, 2016 07:59:10 pm
      Is Grujic not similar to Lucas in terms of position?

A number 6 is someone who sits directly in front of the back four to constantly break down opposition attacks before they reach our center backs. He also covers men for them consistently so the two center backs can be free for other defensive responsibilities (shifting to cover the outside backs, commanding the line, positioning properly, cheating a bit to cover runs so they don't get turned for pace, etc). Offensively they simply link the rest of the midfield and the attack to the defense, they can launch attacks, and if they are good enough they can control the tempo of play.

Can doesn't have the positioning, consistent defensive abilities, or discipline to play as a #6 effectively. Haven't seen enough of Grujic to know whether he's capable of performing the role, but early signs and reading up on his past have led me to believe that he also might be too interested in the attack. Maybe together Grujic and Can are capable of filling the midfield enough to hold a #6 at all times, but that can always lead to mistakes due to communication and both of them wanting to go up at the same time, etc.

Not saying it is a must to always play with Lucas or a #6, but in my opinion it is a must to at least always have someone like that in the side.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #167: Jul 17, 2016 09:30:21 pm
      How was Markovic? He made an assist, right?

I completely forgot that Ings was such a good striker. He has everything to prove in a LFC shirt but when he has played he never disappointed, right?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #168: Jul 17, 2016 10:59:19 pm
      Some nice performances out there today , the young lads doing their best to impress the boss , thought the only downer was Markovich. real poor .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #169: Jul 17, 2016 11:15:26 pm
      Who's that with the assist for Ings?  Decent little flick over.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #170: Jul 17, 2016 11:16:42 pm
      Who's that with the assist for Ings?  Decent little flick over.

Markovic.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #171: Jul 17, 2016 11:22:49 pm

In that case it must have been pure fluke... ;)

I'm still very much in the keep Markovic camp (not based on that assist).  Lads only 22 and is probably living out of a suitcase at the minute not knowing whether he's coming or going.

8 goals, 3 clean sheets against lesser opposition in those 3 games is as much as can be expected.  Doesn't impact on the season at all.  Been majorly impressed with some of the younger lads, but there comes a point in pre-season where they have to start being sidelined and our first team play together.

Only concern is the recent injuries we've picked up - Sakho, Gomez, Matip.  Not a good start.  Especially not in that position. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #172: Jul 17, 2016 11:34:52 pm
      In that case it must have been pure fluke... ;)

I'm still very much in the keep Markovic camp (not based on that assist).  Lads only 22 and is probably living out of a suitcase at the minute not knowing whether he's coming or going.

8 goals, 3 clean sheets against lesser opposition in those 3 games is as much as can be expected.  Doesn't impact on the season at all.  Been majorly impressed with some of the younger lads, but there comes a point in pre-season where they have to start being sidelined and our first team play together.

Only concern is the recent injuries we've picked up - Sakho, Gomez, Matip.  Not a good start.  Especially not in that position. 

He clearly meant to kick it out for a throw in but he can't even do that right :D. I'd like to see us keep him too tbh, he's not exactly had a fair crack at the whip compared to some other players.

I think the point you mentioned will be our first game in the U.S. We've got quite a few players still missing from the squad (Mignolet, Clyne, Milner, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Origi, Benteke, no doubt there's some I missed).

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #173: Jul 18, 2016 03:19:47 am
      He clearly meant to kick it out for a throw in but he can't even do that right :D. I'd like to see us keep him too tbh, he's not exactly had a fair crack at the whip compared to some other players.

I think the point you mentioned will be our first game in the U.S. We've got quite a few players still missing from the squad (Mignolet, Clyne, Milner, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Origi, Benteke, no doubt there's some I missed).

Allen, Can and Ojo will also join shortly after the team gets to the U.S.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #174: Jul 18, 2016 06:05:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/Linda_Pizzuti/status/755058036964782081

Some of our fans are embarrassing, giving her abuse in the comments for sh*t that she has nothing to do with.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #175: Jul 18, 2016 06:16:47 pm

Over training perhaps?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #176: Jul 18, 2016 06:32:02 pm

Probably but considering how unfit we were before Klopp came in, these extra sessions were always going to happen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #177: Jul 18, 2016 07:33:17 pm

Sakho picks up frequent injuries - Gomez has just returned from (probably) sitting on his arse for a year - those are explainable.

Matip I'm sure I heard something Klopp said about an ongoing problem..?  Is that how we get free transfers these days? I hope not.

Been a while since Lovren was out for a few weeks so watch this space!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #178: Jul 18, 2016 07:50:26 pm
      Matip I'm sure I heard something Klopp said about an ongoing problem..?

He had minor ankle surgery last month; they are just being cautious with Matip.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #179: Jul 18, 2016 09:32:36 pm
      He had minor ankle surgery last month; they are just being cautious with Matip.

Ah I see. Cotton wool then - makes sense.

Quick Reply