Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Pre Season #4 : Huddersfield Town 0-2 Liverpool

Read 21188 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Pre Season #4 : Huddersfield Town 0-2 Liverpool
      Jul 19, 2016 06:38:36 pm
      Last stop before we go stateside.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Huddersfield v Liverpool preview - Shankly, Wagner, Klopp and silverware

JĂźrgen Klopp manager of Liverpool issues instructions during the Pre-Season Friendly match between Wigan Athletic and Liverpool at JJB Stadium on July 17, 2016 in Wigan, England. (Photo by Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Liverpool head Stateside this week – but not before a quick stop-off in Huddersfield.

Jürgen Klopp and his players visit the John Smith’s Stadium on Wednesday night before flying out to California in the early hours of Thursday. No rest for the wicked, as they say.

So far so good, in terms of Liverpool’s pre-season preparations so far. Three games, three wins, three clean sheets; promise from the youngsters and valuable fitness for the seniors. The sun was even out at Wigan.

It is no surprise to see Huddersfield on Liverpool’s friendly list this summer. Their manager, David Wagner, was best man at Klopp’s wedding, and worked alongside the Reds boss at both Mainz and Borussia Dortmund.

For Liverpool fans, it’s another relatively short summer trip after visits to Tranmere, Fleetwood and Wigan.

Here are a few things they can look forward to at Huddersfield...

Huddersfield Town manager Bill Shankly during a training session at the club's ground.30th April 1959.

Playing for silverware!

The name Bill Shankly may be synonymous with Liverpool Football Club, but he’s revered at Huddersfield too. And on Wednesday, the two clubs will commemorate his career by contesting the Shankly Trophy.

Shankly spent more than three years at Town, first as reserve coach then as manager. He left for Liverpool in December 1959, and the rest is history.

The Anfield trophy cabinet has been a little neglected over the past four years, so it would be nice for Klopp to bring a pot back. Especially one bearing the name of the club’s most iconic manager.

Huddersfield Town manager, German born David Wagner who is a friend of Liverpool manager JĂźrgen Klopp. Staff Picture by: Andy Stenning

The Wagner-Klopp relationship

“I’ve know Jürgen longer than I’ve known my wife,” remarked David Wagner in an interview with the Guardian back in December.

The pair share a footballing history, as well as a fondness for beards and baseball caps. As teammates at Mainz - “I took his place in the team, so he changed his role from a striker to a defender because it was much easier for him!” says Wagner – they became close friends. Wagner was coach of Dortmund’s second team while Klopp managed the seniors, and the Huddersfield boss sought his pal’s advice when offered his first managerial role with the Terriers last year.

Expect smiles and warm embraces prior to kick off, and then an intense contest after that. There is a trophy at stake, after all...

A sterner test

Assessments of Liverpool’s pre-season performance so far must contain a caveat; they haven’t faced a great deal in terms of opposition.

Indeed, Reds fans could have been forgiven for feeling a little short-changed at Wigan, as the Latics fielded a largely second-string side having taken on Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United 24 hours previously.

Huddersfield haven’t hosted Liverpool since an FA Cup third round tie in 1999, and so you would expect them to want to put on some kind of show for their fans. They have a few noteworthy players, including top scorer Nahki Wells, and should offer a decent examination.

Better than Wigan, anyway.

Philippe Coutinho of Liverpool comes close with a back heal during the Pre-Season Friendly match between Wigan Athletic and Liverpool at JJB Stadium on July 17, 2016 in Wigan, England. (Photo by Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

The pecking order emerging

On Sunday we saw, for the first time this pre-season, players being asked to do more than just 45 minutes.

Loris Karius, Connor Randall and Joel Matip were the three players selected to do the full 90 at Wigan – well, 89 in Matip’s case – and it will be interesting to see how many, and who, gets the nod this time.

Klopp is still waiting for players to come back – and still waiting for a couple of signings too - but, four friendlies in, will be starting to think about that first starting XI at Arsenal, and developing those key relationships within his team.

There will still be changes, of course, and Matip for example may not be risked, but Klopp’s job is to get his team ready for the new campaign. We should start to see his plans become clearer in the coming week.

Ben Woodburn of Liverpool competes with Sam Morsy of Wigan Athletic during the Pre-Season Friendly match between Wigan Athletic and Liverpool at JJB Stadium on July 17, 2016 in Wigan, England. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

The kids

There are understandable concerns about the dangers of ‘hyping up’ Liverpool’s young stars – we hear them too!

But for supporters, there are few more enjoyable things than seeing a potential star emerge, and daydreaming about what they could go on to achieve.

Ben Woodburn, with two goals in two games, Ovie Ejaria and Trent Alexander-Arnold could not have done more to impress so far, but don’t forget the slightly older lads too – Ryan Kent looks sharp as a tack, Cameron Brannagan plays with a maturity beyond his years, and Marko Grujic made a very good first impression.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/huddersfield-v-liverpool-preview-shankly-11634103

Another strong line up I think for this one. Hoping to see more of Grujic in this game if he's better.

Predictions for line up and score?  :kop5cf8koxp6:

We can make it 4/4 with a win here, and give us some momentum going into the tournament in the states.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2016 09:42:30 pm by JD »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Pre Season #4 : Huddersfield Town vs Liverpool 7:45PM BST 20/07/2016
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2016 07:46:32 pm
      The only changes I would expect have to do with the players who missed Sunday, Moreno, Smith and Grujic, and Matip if he is not yet back training.

If he goes with the 45-minute shifts again, I suppose that means one of the kids (probably Alexander-Arnold) misses out with Grujic coming back in. Then Randall doesn't have to play the whole match, but Wisdom or Lovren (or Lucas), might.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2016 09:05:12 pm
      I want to see more of Ejaria, that is all!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2016 11:25:13 pm
      Are they flying to LA? I'm in LA now but will be flying home Wednesday night on the red eye. Probably pass them in the air somewhere over Kansas. :D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2016 08:06:52 am
      Are they flying to LA? I'm in LA now but will be flying home Wednesday night on the red eye.
      Probably pass them in the air somewhere over Kansas. :D

Yeeeee Haa.

Could wave to them just like the guy sitting on the bomb in Dr Strangelove.

https://youtu.be/wcW_Ygs6hm0

Major Kong Rides The Bomb .

----------------------

The Shankly Trophy.

Probably the best trophy in the world.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2016 09:47:12 am by MIRO »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2016 08:58:47 am
      Bill Shankly will enjoy this match Skip.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2016 09:46:37 am
      Bill Shankly will enjoy this match Skip.

He will that Billy.

He will be looking down ...
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2016 05:28:45 pm
      Best connection between two clubs ever, still want us to score tons of goals and hopefully get to see a bit more of Grujic in action.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2016 06:20:49 pm
      Not much love for this game it seems.  Not even a page of comments with less than an hour and a half to go  :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2016 06:38:07 pm
      Starting 11:  Karius, Randall, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Ejaria, Stewart, Grujic, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino

Subs:  George, Ings, Kent, Wisdom, Markovic, Woodburn, Alexander-Arnold
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2016 06:44:08 pm
      Startin 11:  Karius, Randall, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Ejaria, Stewart, Grujic, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino

So no 45-minutes shifts across the board today then. Looks like Lucas will play at center back tonight. Apparently no swap deal involving him is immiment.

Also Brad Smith and Jon Flanagan missing. Isn't Flanno one of those listed as a loan possibility?

Also, did Ilori already leave for Portugal duty?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2016 06:44:14 pm
      Startin 11:  Karius, Randall, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Ejaria, Stewart, Grujic, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino

Lucas at CB I'm guessing? The boss really likes Ejaria doesn't he.

I sometimes go on the Huddersfield forum and the other day there was a comment about how he hoped we would put out a stronger team than the one that beat Wigan. That person - despite me explaining - did not seem to understand that we had about 12 players away on international duty therefore we wouldn't be playing anywhere close to our best 11 until we get to America.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Jul 20, 2016 06:45:13 pm
      Not much love for this game it seems.  Not even a page of comments with less than an hour and a half to go  :(

Must be the heat, I refreshed the page loads and nothing appeared, thanks for the team sheet that may pique some peoples interests.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #13: Jul 20, 2016 06:49:30 pm

I sometimes go on the Huddersfield forum and the other day there was a comment about how he hoped we would put out a stronger team than the one that beat Wigan. That person - despite me explaining - did not seem to understand that we had about 12 players away on international duty therefore we wouldn't be playing anywhere close to our best 11 until we get to America.

I think he wants to see as much as he can of Ejaria, to see whether to loan him or if he's going to be part of the squad this new season. Can't fault that type of common sense, when he played the first friendly JĂźrgen might have thought hm lets see more of this player, you never know.
      It's a roundabout way of saying what you said actually ;D, 'the boss really likes Ejaria'.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2016 06:53:07 pm
      So no 45-minutes shifts across the board today then. Looks like Lucas will play at center back tonight. Apparently no swap deal involving him is immiment.

Also Brad Smith and Jon Flanagan missing. Isn't Flanno one of those listed as a loan possibility?

Also, did Ilori already leave for Portugal duty?

No swap deal imminent no mate and it's sensible to leave Matip out.  No point aggravating his ankle for this one.

Brad missed the last game through injury so I'm guessing he's not right yet and yes Flanno is being considered for a loan option but it's strange he's not here even if he is.

I'm guessing the Portugal squad have met up now, they'll need a couple of weeks prep just like every tournament team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jul 20, 2016 06:56:14 pm

I'm assuming so mate, there's no one else.

They're not the brightest buttons round Huddersfield mate and they're not keen on venturing out of their own little bubble so probably don't even realise there's been a major tournament on this summer  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Jul 20, 2016 06:56:44 pm
      Must be the heat, I refreshed the page loads and nothing appeared, thanks for the team sheet that may pique some peoples interests.

Seems it did the trick mate  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Jul 20, 2016 07:07:10 pm
      I'm assuming so mate, there's no one else.

They're not the brightest buttons round Huddersfield mate and they're not keen on venturing out of their own little bubble so probably don't even realise there's been a major tournament on this summer  ;D

:D I lived there for a bit when at Uni/on placement. The amount of people who pretended to be both Huddersfield and Man United fans is ridiculous.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Jul 20, 2016 07:09:28 pm
      Just realized no Cameron Brannagan. Very sorry to see that. I hope this does not mean he is going on out on loan (saw the article saying a move with Wigan had been discussed).

I mean, if he's never going to get a game maybe it's the best thing for  him, but would like to see him involved with the first team more.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #19: Jul 20, 2016 07:10:42 pm

I've been counting down the hours since I woke up, as I do for every Liverpool game! Love watching us play, pre-season or not. It has been an interesting pre-season too with all the young lads playing so well! Looking forward to see them play again.

Link to the game if anyone is interested:

http://www.strikeout.mobi/soccer/320804/1/lfc-tv-%7C-liverpool-fc-tv
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #20: Jul 20, 2016 07:13:44 pm
      Just once I want the LFC TV people to sneak in "Anarchy n the U.K." as their lead-in song for a match webcast.Would be epic.  >:D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2016 07:13:50 pm
      :D I lived there for a bit when at Uni/on placement. The amount of people who pretended to be both Huddersfield and Man United fans is ridiculous.

Aye like most small towns with small clubs they all latch onto a big team so they can celebrate winning something once in a while  :D

My brother went to Huddersfield Uni.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Jul 20, 2016 07:16:13 pm
      I've been counting down the hours since I woke up, as I do for every Liverpool game! Love watching us play, pre-season or not. It has been an interesting pre-season too with all the young lads playing so well! Looking forward to see them play again.

Link to the game if anyone is interested:

http://www.strikeout.mobi/soccer/320804/1/lfc-tv-%7C-liverpool-fc-tv

My whole day when there's a match on is geared up for one thing only and that's ko.  Should be a better test than the others too but we need that.

Quick Reply