Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Current Depth Chart

Read 2259 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Current Depth Chart
      Jul 22, 2016 07:28:10 pm
      So I'm hoping you can all chime in with your preferred starting XI, second XI and third XI for the coming season. I know we may bring in another player or two and that it's uncertain who all will be leaving, but I think we have a pretty well-defined idea at this point. No speculative players included, please. But injured players are allowed. You are welcome to choose the formation you prefer.

4-2-3-1
      1st Choice
      GK: Karius
      RB: Clyne
      LB: Moreno (I know, I know, but he is first choice at the moment)
      CB: Lovren
      CB: Matip
      CM: Can
      CM: Wijnaldum
      ACM: Firminho
      RF: Mane
      LF: Coutinho
      CF: Sturridge

2nd XI
      GK: Mignolet
      RB: Flanagan
      LB: Smith
      CB: Klavan
      CB: Sakho
      CM: Henderson
      CM: Grujic
      ACM: Lallana
      RF: Milner
      CF: Origi
      LF: Ojo

3rd XI
      GK: Manninger
      RB: Wisdom
      LB: Randall
      CB: Lucas
      CB: Gomez
      CM: Stewart
      CM: Brannagan
      ACM: Ejaria
      RF: Markovic
      CF: Ings
      LF: Kent
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Current Depth Chart
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2016 07:43:17 pm
      I think the biggest change in formation will be that we will play 3 in midfield more often this season. 4-3-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 being the two main formations we will see. 

4-3-2-1 :-  Karius : Clyne, Moreno, Lovren, Matip :  Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can :  Mane, Coutinho : Sturridge

With Firmino coming in for one of the midfield (don't ask me which) when we play 4-2-3-1

I think Milner, Lallana Ings and Origi will get plenty of opportunities with the season basically based around those 16 players.

Grujic and Sakho forced to wait for their opportunities for the cups/injuries etc.
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2016 08:40:20 pm by s@int »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2016 08:38:34 pm
      We've got a lot more first-teamers in this summer than I was expecting.  As most of us thought - the manager clearly wasn't happy with the strength of the team. 

Klavan aside I'd imagine most of the signings are pushing for a starting place at Liverpool.  It already looks way more competitive.

The risk when making such big changes is obviously that it could affect your results negatively, certainly until the new year.  But we're hardly starting from a position of strength.  We did finish 8th last year so Klopp obviously feels the gamble to be well worth it.

While individually none of the players have me sitting on the edge of my seat it's clear that we are going to be looking to play with a bit more pace next season.  The gulf in playing style between the likes of Lallana, Henderson and Milner to Wijnaldum, Mane and even Grujic could not be more different.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2016 08:44:49 pm
      Starting XI

Karius
      Moreno Lovren Matip Clyne
                 Can Hendo
          Mane Coutinho Firmino
                 Sturridge

Karius has to start, would be hard to swallow going into season with Migs no.1
      Not much change at the back, surprise particularly looking like Moreno could still be 1st choice.
      Haven't seen enough of Wijnaldum & Grujic to say they should start - don't see them as obvious starters ahead of Can and Hendo, yet. Milner and Lallana will be pushing too, quite a lot of competition there which is good, tho Marko surely must be sold. I'd probably go with Firmino to start even just from continuity point of view, initially.
      Up front, really only Origi pressuring Studge, Ings 3rd choice and needs to push to close the gap.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2016 08:57:17 pm
      Average age of our new signings...32
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2016 08:57:43 pm
      We've got a lot more first-teamers in this summer than I was expecting.  As most of us thought - the manager clearly wasn't happy with the strength of the team. 

Klavan aside I'd imagine most of the signings are pushing for a starting place at Liverpool.  It already looks way more competitive.

The risk when making such big changes is obviously that it could affect your results negatively, certainly until the new year.  But we're hardly starting from a position of strength.  We did finish 8th last year so Klopp obviously feels the gamble to be well worth it.

While individually none of the players have me sitting on the edge of my seat it's clear that we are going to be looking to play with a bit more pace next season.  The gulf in playing style between the likes of Lallana, Henderson and Milner to Wijnaldum, Mane and even Grujic could not be more different.

Sorry to pick out just one part, but this is exactly what I was thinking as well.
      More pace, more power, more Heavy Metal.  ;D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #6: Jul 22, 2016 09:03:31 pm

Skewed a bit by the 3rd choice GK and 4th choice CB there Gary... ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8551 
      Reply #7: Jul 22, 2016 09:16:56 pm

Can see John and Tom having panic attacks already.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Jul 22, 2016 09:18:25 pm

If I had wanted to make a point of it I would have posted it in the buying experienced players argument. 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Jul 22, 2016 10:03:20 pm

Personally don't see anything wrong with having a few older heads about, as long as they are able to make their experience count and benefit the squad, off and (when they are) on the field.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #10: Jul 22, 2016 11:04:35 pm
      Starting XI

Karius
                 Can Hendo
          Mane Coutinho Firmino
                 Sturridge

Not much change at the back, surprise particularly looking like Moreno could still be 1st choice.
      Haven't seen enough of Wijnaldum & Grujic to say they should start - don't see them as obvious starters ahead of Can and Hendo, yet. Milner and Lallana will be pushing too, quite a lot of competition there which is good, tho Marko surely must be sold. I'd probably go with Firmino to start even just from continuity point of view, initially.
      Up front, really only Origi pressuring Studge, Ings 3rd choice and needs to push to close the gap.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

That defense is the best we have at the moment if we don't buy anyone in that department.

Central midfield is more debatable, but, frankly, I don't think Grujić will start ahead of Henderson in the first few games. No doubt that Klopp will use him as a sub in games especially if kid keeps performace level in America friendlies. If Klopp prefers Wijnaldum at central midfielder position he will (hopefully) provide nice competition for Can, Hendo and Grujić.

Three behind the striker should be Cou, Firm and Mane IMO. At least at the beginning of the season. Cannot see Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana or Marković starting ahead of mentioned three in early games.

Studge is our best player by a mile when he is fit and in form IMO. Ings and Origi are better suited for Klopp's style but Studge is simply brilliant finisher and should start majority of the games if he somehow manage to stay fit.

I do agree that we will see more formation switching between 4231 and 4321 but I don't think Klopp will established 4321 as "default" formation this season if he wants to use best players in theirs best positions most often. This summer signings indicates that Klopp will accommodate formation according the opposition more than last season but players posted by Bmck in 4231 formation will start in the most important games when season start IMO.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #11: Jul 22, 2016 11:13:59 pm
      Starting XI

Karius
                 Can Hendo
          Mane Coutinho Firmino
                 Sturridge

Firmino out on the wing? I think Coutinho has shown that is his best position cutting in from the left.

Can and Hendo as the two midfielders? - probably caused the most debate on this forum and I imagine all LFC forums - I doubt we will see it.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Jul 22, 2016 11:26:45 pm
      I think the biggest change in formation will be that we will play 3 in midfield more often this season. 4-3-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 being the two main formations we will see. 

4-3-2-1 :-  Karius : Clyne, Moreno, Lovren, Matip :  Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can :  Mane, Coutinho : Sturridge

With Firmino coming in for one of the midfield (don't ask me which) when we play 4-2-3-1

I think Milner, Lallana Ings and Origi will get plenty of opportunities with the season basically based around those 16 players.

Grujic and Sakho forced to wait for their opportunities for the cups/injuries etc.

Some interesting thoughts there, and I can see I'm going to have to catch up a bit regarding our new players.

Essentially, I think the 2 formations are different ways of playing a 451, and I'd also add 433 into that as well.
      We've already seen of course, how much Klopp values interchange and creativity, but also pace, power, combined with skill and awareness.
      I think Heavy Metal is starting to really show.

I mean, we had Bon Jovi for the warm up, but now we're getting into Black Sabbath.
      I'm reliably informed there's something called "Thrash" and "Death" Metal?
      No idea.
      But it sounds good in Klopps terms.  ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Jul 23, 2016 02:26:47 pm
      Can and Hendo as the two midfielders? - probably caused the most debate on this forum and I imagine all LFC forums - I doubt we will see it.

I'm not seeing it on paper right now, but hope your right, that after the money we've spent at least one of the new guys signed will be an improvement in at least one of those two positions.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,690 posts | 3710 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jul 23, 2016 02:43:15 pm
      I'm very happy with this strength in depth. Well done Klopp.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #15: Jul 23, 2016 04:48:28 pm
      Wonder if this stock up of attacking players means we might see a shift in Klopp's substitution patterns? Might he start subbing at halftime and bringing in more attacking players if  we aren't able to break through?

So maybe Can and Hendo start out, but if we are not showing anything by half, he brings in Gigi for Hendo? (Just  as an example)
      ghred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2016 11:07:43 am
      I'm very happy with this strength in depth. Well done Klopp.
      [/quote]
      Me too mate,Karius is out for 2 months but we have enough cover to not panic.Loving the look of Klopp's squad

Quick Reply