Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192735 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #161: Sep 19, 2016 09:59:10 pm
      Starting to look the business. Good game against the plastics, must have gained a lot of confidence from that, let's hope he keeps on improving. Looks like we've got another gem in the making.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Sep 19, 2016 10:09:42 pm
      Quietly going about his business. Getting better with each game and proving himself to be better than some thought in that role, maybe himself included.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #163: Sep 19, 2016 11:11:03 pm
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #164: Sep 20, 2016 02:48:26 am
       i realised a lot of what i hear and read about wijnaldum is just like what we would hear and read about joe allen when he was in a good run of form. not obviously noticeable, but when you realise what the team's doing and what he does for the team he stands out. but this guy will get the runs and hopefully his body will stay sound - then we'll see a real player come out!!!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #165: Sep 20, 2016 11:02:35 am
      Always a trick one the DMF role - always the bridesmaid never the bride...

I always judge a player like this on how well he dosent stand out - rightly or wrongly. He shouldnt have a lot of time on the ball and just play the simple passes that release the 'flair' players we have. Defending it should be a lot of little challenges that delay and break up opponents attacks.

If Gini is the focus of attack or defense then something has gone wrong.

Quietly going about his business is what we want - as long as he is doing his job then I am happy.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #166: Sep 21, 2016 11:46:35 am
      His engine is very good, never stops running this lad and i'm sure he fits Klopp's system perfectly, just needs a little bit more time to build that chemistry with the other lads, the quality is there, he was the standout in the Newcastle team, way above Sissoko.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #167: Sep 24, 2016 09:39:46 pm
      That he doesn't have any goals to his name is of no concern. It's hard to describe this guy's quality and match performances at the moment. Something enigmatic about his role but you can see and sense that he's doing something very very important.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #168: Sep 25, 2016 07:40:19 am
      That he doesn't have any goals to his name is of no concern. It's hard to describe this guy's quality and match performances at the moment. Something enigmatic about his role but you can see and sense that he's doing something very very important.

He had some shots on target and were pretty good shots.

https://twitter.com/LFCTS/status/779760758624292864
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #169: Sep 25, 2016 05:38:58 pm
      He is working very hard in CM but he must ensure to become more clinical in the box. He had a few good chances yesterday and should have scored at least one. Encouraging start though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #170: Sep 25, 2016 07:23:54 pm
      He's getting better. A lot of weight on his shoulders with his hefty price tag, but the more performances he puts in like his  recent ones,  it won't matter. He seems to be acclimating nicely.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #171: Sep 25, 2016 09:58:47 pm

Yep without looking at the vid, think he had 3 on target, all saved. He's getting closer.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #172: Sep 26, 2016 12:13:37 pm
      Yep without looking at the vid, think he had 3 on target, all saved. He's getting closer.

Exactly, but if you had watched that video, you would not have count any shots because it was the nutmeg to the referee. :D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #173: Sep 26, 2016 01:49:40 pm
      I still don't really see what he's offering that wasn't already there. I'd have Can in before him
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #174: Sep 26, 2016 01:53:23 pm
      I still don't really see what he's offering that wasn't already there. I'd have Can in before him

Can is a good player who is still not match fit as evident by his cameo's consistently giving the ball away and committing needless fouls.

Not sure how you have come to your conclusion!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #175: Sep 29, 2016 11:25:40 pm
      Exactly, but if you had watched that video, you would not have count any shots because it was the nutmeg to the referee. :D

Oh yeah realized that after watching the video  :lmao:
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #176: Oct 01, 2016 07:36:23 pm
      I've been really pleased and impressed with Gini so far!  He was pretty poor in the opening 2 games (Arsenal and Burnley) but since then he has been putting in consistent 7/10 performances.  Lallana has taken a lot of the plaudits, but the hard work of Hendo and Gini in the engine room has really provided a platform for the rest of the team to build upon.  He's been good in possession, providing good passing options for teammates, checking in and out of space to pull defenders out of position, and has even grabbed a couple of assists.  On defense he has been energetic and combative, closing passing lanes, picking up his mark when players enter his zone, and contributing to the team press that is the crux of Klopp's tactical game plan.   

Think Can has a big task on his hands getting back into the starting 11 anytime soon....

Keep it up Gini!!   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #177: Oct 01, 2016 10:26:30 pm

I'd say he is a more subtle player than Can, better in tight areas, moves the ball a little quicker and is looking to play the ball forward more often than not. I'd like to see him get into a couple more shooting opportunities but he has largely played as a link player thus far and a lot of his good work is less obvious on the eye but he has quietly played well in a side that currently sits 2nd on the table.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #178: Oct 02, 2016 11:48:58 am
      I think he's settled in well, considering it's a new role for him compared to other positions he's played, I'm happy.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #179: Oct 02, 2016 12:49:50 pm
      sh*te yesterday, though.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #180: Oct 03, 2016 03:45:55 pm
      To be honest, I fail to see what he really offers the team. I know its early days and he hasn't exactly put a foot wrong but he hasn't put a foot in the right direction either.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what I have missed and what I can look out for in future?
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #181: Oct 03, 2016 04:02:24 pm
      To be honest, I fail to see what he really offers the team. I know its early days and he hasn't exactly put a foot wrong but he hasn't put a foot in the right direction either.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what I have missed and what I can look out for in future?

I think quite a few fans are thinking the same thing. Myself included.

Still though...he's playing and we're winning so if it ain't broke don't fix it!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #182: Oct 03, 2016 04:11:28 pm

Its sometimes difficult to appreciate the good things that players like Gini perform because our forwards take so much of the limelight. Maybe this montage will give you a clue why he is huge asset and those suggesting they would have preferred to have kept little Joe are just so far off the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ49OpIoibM

He has quick feet great control on the ball especially in close contact a huge engine and is always looking to get forward to create that panic in the oppostion box that Klopp demands.
      The goals will start to come as he is still getting used to his team mates.

He has basically been bought in to supply goals from midfield.

This Klopp team is built to attack and so despite the rumblings from a few about us looking suspect at the back thats the way its going to be under Jürgen, obviously as the defenders play more games together there will be a natural improvement.

Having so many attack minded players in a team their instinct is not always about defence but again this will improve and obviously Klopp sees attack as the best form of defence.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #183: Oct 03, 2016 04:39:26 pm
      The first couple of games I wasn't all that impressed with his performances but since then I have been, especially in that Chelsea game. He's stopped backing out of challenges, he helps the team by keeping the ball ticking over, he drives forward with the ball, makes it hard for the opposition to take the ball from him, offloads it quickly when necessary etc. I'd just love to see him open his account for the club now.

Quick Reply