Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool > PSG)

Read 192589 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jul 25, 2016 09:11:59 pm
      Wijnaldum is sh*t, but Ejaria is good enough to start now after some preseason minutes! :laugh:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Jul 25, 2016 09:12:47 pm
      Wijnaldum is sh*t, but Ejaria is good enough to start now after some preseason minutes! :laugh:

Hilarious isn't it mate. Ejaria should defo be captain! :roll:
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #71: Jul 29, 2016 11:39:38 am
      first of all, we know very well that under FSG the manager isn't the one who buys players.  The committee does.  The only role the manager has is a final yes or no, that is to say, if he absolutely doesn't want a player the rest of the committee wants, he can veto the signing.  And he must give the final approval on all signings.  But the manager doesn't START the process by saying "I want player x." The committee puts options in front of him and then they decide together.  It's how we ended up with Balotelli, Rodgers clearly didn't want him but at the end of the day the committee put him and other sh*t players in front of him so he had no other choice but to go with him.

That being said, I don't have specific names in mind who we "should" be going after.  But if the Mancs have no CL and can't offer London and yet they STILL are bringing in top names, then why the hell are we not doing the same?

We can put a bow on it all we want but at the end of the day there wasn't a single damn person on this forum who thought at the beginning of the summer that the "top players" we were going to go after were Sadio Mane and f**king Wijnaldum.

You're telling us that the committee knew about grujic? And they suggested him to klopp?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #72: Jul 31, 2016 11:19:12 pm
      Georginio Wijnaldum has not just promised Liverpool goals. He has guaranteed them.

The £25million Dutchman made his Reds debut in their 2-0 win over AC Milan in California, creating two decent chances and frightening the Italians with his running from midfield before being subbed at half-time.

Wijnaldum is not short on self-belief and insists he will provide the goals from midfield Klopp is demanding this season. In fact he went even further by assuring the German he will hit double figures.

The 25-year-old said: “I am greedy to score and will do the same this season, look for chances to score. I did it at Feyenoord, PSV, Newcastle. I always want to score.

“It’s because I have the quality to score goals. To be fair I have the quality to create chances too and because I create a lot, I score goals.

“But it can always be better because I missed a lot as well. I have that in my mind of course. Every time I play I want to score, it’s something I have had since I scored a lot as youngster.

“I think a player with my quality has to at least get a minimum of 10 a season. That’s what I always said.

“Sometimes you reach more, sometimes less, like last season I got 11. But because I create so many chances I have to score at least ten – that’s the pressure I put on myself.”

Klopp made no secret of the fact he splashed out so much cash on Wijnaldum because he produces the goals from midfield the Reds so desperately lacked last season.

Before the match against Milan in the San Francisco 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium last night, Klopp explained his team created more chances than other in the Premier League last season – but missed the most too.

As he said it, he turned to Wijnaldum, almost plaintively, and the 25 year old smiled broadly, accepting the challenge, not just willingly, but with a refreshing relish that shows he has complete faith in his ability.

Georginio Wijnaldum has not just promised Liverpool goals. He has guaranteed them.

The £25million Dutchman made his Reds debut in their 2-0 win over AC Milan in California, creating two decent chances and frightening the Italians with his running from midfield before being subbed at half-time.

Wijnaldum is not short on self-belief and insists he will provide the goals from midfield Klopp is demanding this season. In fact he went even further by assuring the German he will hit double figures.

The 25-year-old said: “I am greedy to score and will do the same this season, look for chances to score. I did it at Feyenoord, PSV, Newcastle. I always want to score.

In pictures - Liverpool 2-0 AC Milan:

VIEW GALLERY    Roberto Firmino celebrates after scoring the second goal
      “It’s because I have the quality to score goals. To be fair I have the quality to create chances too and because I create a lot, I score goals.

“But it can always be better because I missed a lot as well. I have that in my mind of course. Every time I play I want to score, it’s something I have had since I scored a lot as youngster.

READ MORE
      Five things we learned from Liverpool's win over AC Milan
      “I think a player with my quality has to at least get a minimum of 10 a season. That’s what I always said.

“Sometimes you reach more, sometimes less, like last season I got 11. But because I create so many chances I have to score at least ten – that’s the pressure I put on myself.”

Klopp made no secret of the fact he splashed out so much cash on Wijnaldum because he produces the goals from midfield the Reds so desperately lacked last season.

Before the match against Milan in the San Francisco 49ers’ Levi’s Stadium last night, Klopp explained his team created more chances than other in the Premier League last season – but missed the most too.

As he said it, he turned to Wijnaldum, almost plaintively, and the 25 year old smiled broadly, accepting the challenge, not just willingly, but with a refreshing relish that shows he has complete faith in his ability.

“Yes, I know the manager wants more goals. But I also put the pressure on myself to score, I do that everywhere,” he explained.

He is not short of confidence, but it never spills over into arrogance. In fact, there is an innocent charm about the Holland international, who produced a refreshing, positive energy against Milan in Santa Clara.

For a player who can operate all across the midfield, he has always produced goals in his career, both creating and scoring, as his double figures for a relegated Newcastle team proved.

Before arriving in the Premier League, he scored almost a goal every other game for PSV, a record most strikers would be proud of.

He didn’t score against Milan, but did enough to suggest he will be a major asset in front of goal this season. That is why Klopp wanted him...a fact the manager made clear in tempting Wijnaldum to Anfield.

“He told me I am a player he needs in his team and that I have the quality he likes, that I can help him and the team,” he added.

“That gave me a good feeling and confidence. There are a lot of big players in the world, this is a big club and he said that to me.

“And of course I think that I can be successful here. If you play for a club as big as Liverpool, you always have to be trying to win trophies, even if it’s not possible – that always has to be the aim.

“You have to do it on the field of course, but you’re never going to be happy with eighth or ninth here. You have to go for titles because of the history being so big.

“That’s the dream for me, to help Liverpool create more history and I will do everything I can for that.”
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-new-boy-georginio-wijnaldum-8534341
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #73: Aug 01, 2016 05:23:48 am
      ^ That's the attitude I like. Definitely not like Hendo or Lallana...

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #74: Aug 01, 2016 01:29:33 pm
      Looks like some people here do not like this signing...

So when he scores, don't celebrate. When he sends a killer ball which leads to a goal, don't celebrate. If he's in the match day squad, don't watch us play.

Come on. He's our player. Support him. He will score goals for us.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #75: Aug 01, 2016 02:02:23 pm
      first of all, we know very well that under FSG the manager isn't the one who buys players.  The committee does.  The only role the manager has is a final yes or no, that is to say, if he absolutely doesn't want a player the rest of the committee wants, he can veto the signing.  And he must give the final approval on all signings.  But the manager doesn't START the process by saying "I want player x." The committee puts options in front of him and then they decide together.  It's how we ended up with Balotelli, Rodgers clearly didn't want him but at the end of the day the committee put him and other sh*t players in front of him so he had no other choice but to go with him.

That being said, I don't have specific names in mind who we "should" be going after.  But if the Mancs have no CL and can't offer London and yet they STILL are bringing in top names, then why the hell are we not doing the same?

We can put a bow on it all we want but at the end of the day there wasn't a single damn person on this forum who thought at the beginning of the summer that the "top players" we were going to go after were Sadio Mane and f**king Wijnaldum.

How many times does Klopp need to say that he has the final say on transfers? If it's down to the committee then why were we not signing all these Bundesliga players when Rodgers was in charge?

United operate on another financial level to Liverpool, you can't compare the two. You don't half do some whining on here!

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #76: Aug 02, 2016 04:05:10 am
      I'm starting to wonder if this is another player (along with Can and Hendo) who needs a midfield partner to take command of the midfield and dictate, and yet another who is more suited to a 3 man midfield.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #77: Aug 02, 2016 04:44:29 pm
      I'm starting to wonder if this is another player (along with Can and Hendo) who needs a midfield partner to take command of the midfield and dictate, and yet another who is more suited to a 3 man midfield.

Wijnaldum is an attaking midfielder for me. I did not know he played as CM.
      The fact is that in the 4-2-3-1 we use, we need a very good DM, Can is not that good yet. Lucas does the job but I think Klopp wants more from his midfielders than good defending.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #78: Aug 02, 2016 04:59:45 pm
      Wijnaldum is an attaking midfielder for me. I did not know he played as CM.
      The fact is that in the 4-2-3-1 we use, we need a very good DM, Can is not that good yet. Lucas does the job but I think Klopp wants more from his midfielders than good defending.

Yeah, people have been saying his position at PSV was CM, this is why I assumed he'd be an attacking ball playing midfielder because he is so technically good.

I did some reading on Newcastle forums, and the thing about Wijnaldum, he goes missing for the majority of the match because he is not the sort of player that demands the ball. Apparently, they likened him to players such as, Platt and Lampard.

If this is true and he does carry on playing like this, the onus would fall onto Can or Hendo to dicate, and that is kind of worrisome. There is no doubt we'll be the stronger team vs a lot of the opposition we'll face, so having that midfielder to dictate or sweep up and keep things simple is an absolute necessity.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #79: Aug 03, 2016 11:07:53 am
      I'm happy to be corrected on, this but I seem to think that at Newcastle he was used on the left flank of a 4 or 5 in midfield.  Newcastle fans I know rated him but thought he was too far out wide to have enough impact on games, even though he netted a few. 
      It'll be interesting to see how Klopp uses him - as I'm sure he will because he brings midfield goals, and that's been stated as our great need.  Working as part of a DM / CM 2 or 3 might well limit his goalscoring threat?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Aug 03, 2016 11:17:10 am
      Yeah, people have been saying his position at PSV was CM, this is why I assumed he'd be an attacking ball playing midfielder because he is so technically good.

I did some reading on Newcastle forums, and the thing about Wijnaldum, he goes missing for the majority of the match because he is not the sort of player that demands the ball. Apparently, they likened him to players such as, Platt and Lampard.

If this is true and he does carry on playing like this, the onus would fall onto Can or Hendo to dicate, and that is kind of worrisome. There is no doubt we'll be the stronger team vs a lot of the opposition we'll face, so having that midfielder to dictate or sweep up and keep things simple is an absolute necessity.

He will see a lot more of the ball than he did at Newcastle if he ends up playing centre mid. IMO there's no problem with certain players not being involved for a majority of the match if they do the deed when they do have the ball. Bale is one of those types of players, he'd go missing for 75-80 minutes at Spurs but then come up with the goods in those 10-15 minutes. Firmino is the same. The amount of times he tends to go 'missing' in games but then pops up with an attacking run at the defence, a goal or an assist.

I think the problem some Newcastle fans had with Wijnaldum going missing is not many others (if any) stepped up and took over the reigns until Wijnaldum got himself back into the game. That's when it becomes an issue. It shouldn't be the case for us, fingers crossed.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #81: Aug 03, 2016 01:20:59 pm
      He will see a lot more of the ball than he did at Newcastle if he ends up playing centre mid. IMO there's no problem with certain players not being involved for a majority of the match if they do the deed when they do have the ball. Bale is one of those types of players, he'd go missing for 75-80 minutes at Spurs but then come up with the goods in those 10-15 minutes. Firmino is the same. The amount of times he tends to go 'missing' in games but then pops up with an attacking run at the defence, a goal or an assist.

I think the problem some Newcastle fans had with Wijnaldum going missing is not many others (if any) stepped up and took over the reigns until Wijnaldum got himself back into the game. That's when it becomes an issue. It shouldn't be the case for us, fingers crossed.

Yeah, don't have a problem with players that are in and out of the game, it generally happens with  attacking players (wide players, forwards), but as a CM, you don't want to see that. Thus far, he hasn't been the type of midfielder I have expected, and the type of midfielder we need to support the likes of Can or Hendo, someone to take control of things when in possession.

It's early days, I know, and I hope he can gradually settle in the middle and dictate like how Xavi did for Barca, Modric does for Real etc. I'm certainly confident he is capable, but whether he will remains to be seen.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #82: Aug 03, 2016 03:27:32 pm

Well if he can go missing as much as Fat Frank but still bag as many goals as him I think he will be alright.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #83: Aug 03, 2016 04:06:15 pm
      Well if he can go missing as much as Fat Frank but still bag as many goals as him I think he will be alright.

Absolutely, but the difference is, he had Makelele, Tiago, Essien, John Mikel Obi and Matic over the years to allow him that freedom. Adding to that, he had the perfect forward to play off from, Drogba. The team was perfect for Lampard.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Aug 03, 2016 05:55:18 pm
      https://twitter.com/ViktorFagerLFC

Viktor Fagerström ‏@ViktorFagerLFC Jul 29

Wijnaldum: "When my transfer to #LFC was completed, Rafa Benitez said 'congratulations'."
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #85: Aug 03, 2016 06:20:16 pm
      Hopefully when Grulic is back, Gigi will be pushed farther up the pitch.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #86: Aug 04, 2016 07:27:11 am
      So, from what I've read it seems that Wijnaldum is an attacking midfielder... It seems that Hendo will play alongside Can then. Wijnaldum might be on the bench.

If only Hendo lived up to expectations, we would not have any problem.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #87: Aug 07, 2016 12:54:17 pm
      Still waiting for Wijnaldum to step up to the plate, he's been mostly average so far
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #88: Aug 07, 2016 01:07:22 pm
      Still waiting for Wijnaldum to step up to the plate, he's been mostly average so far

its still a settling period for the lad once he has found his feet and confidence he is going to be a big player for us. Jürgen will make sure of that
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #89: Aug 07, 2016 01:07:28 pm

Give him a chance mate.
      He's barely had time to settle in and get to know his new team mates.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #90: Aug 07, 2016 01:12:03 pm
      Poor game but still very early.

Didn't drop his head or go hiding in defence. Was always back in his position doing the work off the ball.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #91: Aug 07, 2016 01:14:26 pm
      Give him a chance mate.
      He's barely had time to settle in and get to know his new team mates.
      That's very true and that's what my son and I were saying yesterday.

Just voicing my concerns because the Toon fans said he faded as the season went on. If we get the Gigi of the early season we're in business.

Quick Reply