Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AC Milan 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18394 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      AC Milan 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Jul 30, 2016 05:28:39 pm
      Another early start for game 2 of the International Champions Cup.  :f_doh:

V       

The boss on AC Milan, team changes and pressing

Jürgen Klopp discussed his approach to pre-season matches, the likelihood of changes for Saturday's match against AC Milan and the effectiveness of pressing at a media briefing in California.

The manager was speaking to reporters at Levi’s Stadium, where the Reds will face the Italian side in their second International Champions Cup fixture.

As well as an injury update on goalkeeper Loris Karius, on the agenda was the possibility of a different line-up to take on Milan, the team’s style of play and analysis of the defeat by Chelsea.

On the significance of these pre-season games…

Today we made a video analysis of the game against Chelsea, so you can use it of course. But obviously it’s pretty sure we will have another line-up at the start of the season. So it gives you some information about what was OK and what was not OK, but of course not the final information about where you are. The challenge and what we have to do is bring all these different groups together, whether they started five days ago, four days ago or three-and-a-half weeks ago. That’s very important. The games are only important but not more important than the sessions we do together. They are another session.

But everybody could see in the Chelsea game under different circumstances, there were no friends on the pitch. That means it is quite hard but that is what we should accept when we think about the Premier League of course. So it’s good. But it’s not that I only think about the games. I have never in my life as a manager thought about the games when we have had training sessions in pre-season. Because we have to do what we have to do, and then you have to play the games after full training. That’s quite intense for the players. It’s a longer time than usual together but not the longest time, so we have to use it and that’s what we’re trying.

On whether Sturridge, Clyne, Benteke, Origi and Wijnaldum will feature tomorrow…

It will be a little different. First of all, the guys who played round about 30 minutes in the game, hopefully we can give them a few more minutes in this game. But we have to respect the rules of the tournament – that you can change three times. Actually it’s no problem but when you have injuries in the moment when we had the injury of Marko [Grujic] before half-time, we waited until half-time but decided only one change. Then the next time we had to take all of them [off] nearly. That’s the thing.

But we want to give as many players as possible match time and we want to be competitive in this game of course. First of all, we need to have a look at how they react on all training sessions, and that’s an all-day update. So it’s not that I have a plan 100 per cent for tomorrow. We have a session tonight and tomorrow morning. Then we will decide about the game. We need to have the ability to play in different formations. In this moment, the players have different fitness levels but I want to see 100 per cent for this moment. We will see who will play tomorrow. The last few days were quite important for the boys. The line-up and squad will change. Ragnar Klavan is OK.

On Liverpool’s style of play…

Actually, I never thought about what I should call this style. It’s about winning football games and developing a team. That means knowing about each other, especially with football things, like which skills we can involve in which moment. We have to learn to trust each other. From my side it’s really to pass the ball as long as you have a solution. Being direct, yes, but not too early. Being patient and a good part of patience is that it offers a kind of self-confidence. Knowing that there will be a moment where it will become clearer that we can do the right thing. We didn’t finish our way until now, but we are in a good way.

Whoever saw the training sessions of my team can say for sure it’s a big improvement, a lot of things have happened in the last few weeks and now we have to bring it all together. We can do what we did three weeks ago or we can do a little bit different, that’s what we did today. We had a video meeting to see if maybe we can use another base together. Most of the players who came later were already here last year so they know a few things. I’m quite happy that we play again. The last game was against a team coached by an Italian guy and I would say with kind of an Italian style. Now AC Milan, for sure they will have good defending and will be well organised. This will happen to us often in the Premier League so for us these pre-season games are really good. In the moment it is very difficult for us to play because of the number of defenders, things like this. We have a lot of players here, but we have not the biggest number of defenders in this moment. Three injuries in that position is not cool, so tomorrow we will try to really work on the solutions for formations.

On pressing and how close the team is to his vision…

No idea. Because I don’t know the finish line, I have no idea where it could end. In our pre-season games we played against a few teams and a few young coaches on the other side and you hear all the way ‘pressing, pressing, pressing, go now’. Especially with pressing, it is all about timing. It’s not about always being there and trying everything. It’s about timing – doing the right thing in the right moment, really create the moment. Of course, more is not bad but it’s not always the best thing. I feel we are in a really good way. I think it makes sense to try to dominate another team in a moment when they have the ball and that’s what pressing is about – to create situations where they can do what they want but actually they cannot.

It’s really interesting, but in the other way, we have to find many more solutions when we have the ball. We already had wonderful games. I’m not sure – maybe you have the stats – we had the most finishing situations but unfortunately we did not always hit the target. But it shows we know the way to get there. Again, to start to believe in our quality and work on it that we are really calm in situations and use the right moment to finish and not always when you see a little bit of the goal. That’s all the things we work on. We know about our quality. I know about our quality, but it’s my job to help the players to show it all the time and I’m really happy with the skills we combined now in the squad. But, of course, we have to create a situation where all the boys can show it all the time – that’s the plan actually for next season.

On an ‘intense’ pre-season...

I don’t want to create a myth or something like this so that you say ‘we are the hardest workers in the football world’. We aren’t, 100 per cent. We spoke already about how hard we train but it was absolutely wrong when I was a player because, unfortunately, our managers didn’t have the knowledge that we have because of a few very smart people who gave us the advice and knowledge about it – how physical training works. But always in life if you only do the things that are easy for you, how could you improve? If you always do the things you like, how could you improve? Of course, it’s about doing a few things you feel are at the edge – you think ‘OK, that’s quite intense’. But actually the only thing we want to do is not to scare the players and make them afraid of our training. It’s more about really creating a base for the games we have to play and I think it makes absolute sense to create a physical base so that you can make it easier in the 85th minute [to make] the right decision because your pulse is not [racing]. So we can be concentrated still.

I don’t think it’s possible for people to bring their best when they are not in the best shape anymore. So that’s what we do but it’s only a part. In the first few weeks we hid most of the running in different exercises. Now actually, we don’t have the time for this and that's a problem. So maybe it feels for one or other players quite intense but it’s not about showing how hard we can be – only about doing the right things. It’s good, it’s intense, but it’s good how I see it and, most of the time, it’s football the main thing we do because we want to improve in football. But sometimes we have to keep the ball on the sideline and run a little bit, but it’s healthy – jogging is healthy, right? These boys are really well-trained boys so they have to jog a little bit quicker. From my side, everything is good. It was intense but not too [intense], I’m pretty sure.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/2016-tour/229769-the-boss-on-ac-milan-team-changes-and-pressing

Here's where we are playing. (I should have it right this time!!  :f_whistle: )

What's your predicted line up and score?  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2016 01:20:57 pm by JD »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: ICC Game 2: Liverpool v AC Milan 3.05AM BST Sunday 31st July
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2016 05:33:45 pm
      I selfishly hope we put out a weak lineup tonight.  I'm going to be at the game against Roma in 2 days and I have to think we will play a completely different 11 in that one.  I'd like to get to see a strong team, so I'm hoping for a lot of youngsters tonight!!!  Knowing my luck, it will be the other way around....
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2016 05:59:49 pm
      I selfishly hope we put out a weak lineup tonight.  I'm going to be at the game against Roma in 2 days and I have to think we will play a completely different 11 in that one.  I'd like to get to see a strong team, so I'm hoping for a lot of youngsters tonight!!!  Knowing my luck, it will be the other way around....

I think we will probably see a mixture of both over the two matches mate.

We really need to have at least half of the first team playing each match from now on to make sure they are ready for the season.

Enjoy the match by the way.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2016 06:27:42 pm
      No kangaroos in California.

Can we give Box of Frogs back at half time ?

Hang on ?   Bad planning . Hes at Melwood.     Foiled again.   
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2016 06:52:39 pm
      Just watching the celtic v barca match and Luis just nutmegged a defender to lay on a goal.

Missed he be.

Got my 8yr old great nephew staying who before the game asked would I prefer Neymar or Messi at Liverpool?  My reply, I'd have Luis back first  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2016 07:45:37 pm
      ;D

Same here, he's a better all round player, still all over the bloody pitch running his heart out and it's only a friendly.

Exactly mate. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2016 08:31:04 pm
      Got my 8yr old great nephew staying who before the game asked would I prefer Neymar or Messi at Liverpool?  My reply, I'd have Luis back first  ;D

Would be my answer as well!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2016 09:15:48 pm
      Will flick between this and the UFC tonight. Just want to see us play well!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2016 11:01:45 pm
      I expect almost a complete reversal of the Chelsea lineup.

Klopp said Manninger and Joseph need to get some match time so that may happen tonight.
      He also said he wants the players who played 30 minutes or less vs. Chelsea to play more tonight, so it's much more about fitness levels tonight I think.

He could go
      1st 60
      GK: Manninger
      RB: Alexander-Arnold
      LB: Milner
      CB: Wisdom
      CB: Lovren
      CM: Henderson
      CM: Brannagan
      ACM: Markovic
      RF: Lallana
      CF: Ings
      LF: Ojo

Final 30
      GK: Joseph
      RB: Randall
      LB: Moreno
      CB: Klavan
      CB: Wisdom or Matip (saw Joel is training, not sure if he can play yet)
      CM: Stewart
      CM: Wijnaldum
      ACM: Ejaria
      RF: Mane
      CF: Firminho
      LF: Coutinho

I think he is saving Sturridge, Clyne, Can and the Belgian players, but on Monday we will go with our strongest available lineup to start:
      GK; Mignolet
      RB: Clyne
      LB: Moreno
      CB: Klavan
      CB: Lovren
      CM: Can
      CM: Wijnaldum
      ACM: Sturridge
      RF: Mane
      CF: Origi
      LF: Coutinho

Or Sturridge at center forward, Firminho at ACM and Origi on the bench, but I'd love to see Daniel playing behind Divock.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2016 11:55:17 pm
      Going to be watching the game in St. Louis with the Reds here. Looking forward to see LFC play in this game.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #10: Jul 31, 2016 01:07:16 am
      1am here, new Harry Potter book just arrived, then gonna watch this, then shower and then get ready to go catch a coach to Drayton Manor for the day.... I am going to be a zombie all day  :sleeping-smiley-011:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11: Jul 31, 2016 01:10:10 am
      10 pm game for me here in South Florida so for a change nothing to vie for my attentions. Feeling a good bit under the weather though so hope I can stay up for the whole thing.  Don't care who plays, they are all red.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jul 31, 2016 02:08:55 am
      starting lineup

Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Mane, Coutinho, Sturridge
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #13: Jul 31, 2016 02:11:19 am
      starting lineup

Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Mane, Coutinho, Sturridge

Hendo and Wijnaldum playing central midfield?

Our defense will be busy.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #14: Jul 31, 2016 02:14:19 am
      starting lineup

Damn!!  Leaves very few genuine contenders for a starting spot available for Monday....  figured this would happen :(
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Jul 31, 2016 02:16:20 am
      Hmmm, Milner as a full back?

The onus will be on Wijnaldum to control that midfield and dictate too!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2016 02:28:57 am
      Stronger lineup than I expected. Should be a good game and hopefully worth stopping up for. Looking forward to seeing how Gigi does playing alongside Henderson.

Hopefully a few goals in this game with Sturridge up front, going for 3-1.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Jul 31, 2016 03:04:08 am
      Bloody hell our kit is bright! Suppose it keeps them safe at night.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Jul 31, 2016 03:06:50 am
      Bloody hell our kit is bright! Suppose it keeps them safe at night.

:D

Looking forward to this, good line-up, let's smash 'em!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #19: Jul 31, 2016 03:07:50 am
      Coutinho has to do better with that, perfect cross by Mane.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Jul 31, 2016 03:08:27 am
      Great cross from Mane
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #21: Jul 31, 2016 03:09:36 am
      Oooh great cross Mane lad, think Cou could have been a bit more committed for that one.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22: Jul 31, 2016 03:09:40 am
      Is it me or is it looking like 4-3-3 again?

Quick Reply