Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where do you think the reds will finish this coming season?

1st
      28 (26.4%)
      2nd to 4th (CL Qualification)
      43 (40.6%)
      5th to 6th (Likely Europa League Qualification)
      33 (31.1%)
      7th or 8th
      2 (1.9%)
      9th or 10th
      0 (0%)
      Bottom half
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: Aug 14, 2016 09:58:23 am

Pre Season Predictions: Where will Liverpool finish in 2016-17?

Read 23220 times
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,846 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Re: Pre Season Predictions: Where will Liverpool finish in 2016-17?
      Reply #69: Aug 09, 2016 06:51:36 pm
      I honestly believe we will achieve a top four finish this season, we have some good new players ,players back from injuries and could possibly field 2 sides to suit particular games ,Jürgen is on the ball and has the players trust. The other big sides in the premier league ,I,e the Manc teams, have expensive players , but will they gel together or will egos take over ? Deffo top four for me !
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #70: Aug 09, 2016 08:21:45 pm
      Quote from Danzel
      Relative to other clubs? I think we did rather well, let's have a look at our competitors.

- IIkay Gundogan   
      - Leroy Sane   
      - Henrikh Mkhitaryan   
      - Granit Xhaka

. I'm happy with our transfer business. Klopp got the players he wanted and they all suit his style of play. Klavan did well in pre-season, Grujic looks a very exciting young prospect, Mané has arguably been our best player in pre-season. Jury still out on Matip, Karius and Wijnaldum.
      c. How big of a clearout did you expect?
      we've had a full pre-season with Klopp and we've got a young, hungry squad.

Not the first year we have had it, and if it was anyone else in charge, we would be complaining about the lack of experienced and star players we have signed.

I'm sure all the players we've signed are players Klopp wants, but the 4 names I've left from your list above are all players he has worked with, or knows very well, and were the kind of players we were told he was the man we needed to get them to sign up. Instead they haven't, and as I predicted, the lack of European football was obviously a significant reason why they didn't.

I've not seen much of pre season bar a few highlights on SSN, and I wouldn't put much emphasis on the results, but its never ideal to go into the season on the back of a loss, and certainly not on the scoreline it was, as any momentum from the Barcelona result was instantly lost.

Of the players we have signed, the majority of them are either unproven foreigners we've never heard of, or domestic players at inflated fees. In many ways, a mere continuation of FSG's long established transfer policy, and we know how that has worked. I really fear Mane could be another Benteke, and Wijnaldum has never pulled up many trees before. For the best part of €75m, I just hope they're worth it, but I have my reservations. The rest are players of the calibre you would expect Rodgers to secure tbh. On the clear out, I thought the Smith transfer was a surprise, and the Allen one was a shock, as he was possibly the most improved player under Klopp, while someone in their wisdom decided not to offer Toure a new deal.

Personally, I'm very upset we're not in Europe at all, and there's no question it's severely impacted our activity in the transfer market. So I think talk of winning the league is just fantasy football. We didn't qualify for Europe in 2011, it was no advantage whatsoever the following year, and I think this season will mirror that one, a few highlights, a lot of mediocrity, and a modest league finish as a result. And as Kenny did, Klopp will have to face tough questions if that is what transpires again.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #71: Aug 09, 2016 08:40:42 pm
      What's with all this worrying about other teams; their managers and players stuff?  :-\

C'mon to f**k now lads - this forum has been packed, to busting, with your fellow Reds insisting...

1: Jürgen is a world class manager (let's be honest, he's certainly every bit as good as any of the rest) and that...

2: Leicester have "proven" you don't need "big names" to win titles.

So... what's with this 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th sh*t; don't you believe them?   :laugh:

And... as Walt says above; if having no European football can help, someone like Brendan Rodgers, nearly win the League, in his second season, then someone like Jürgen must have an outstanding chance.

Despite the fact that I think you are being sarcastic, I actually have voted for 1st place.  Ironically, it is the only time I've done so in the 8 years or so that I've been posting on here :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #72: Aug 09, 2016 08:53:05 pm
      Don't want to get to carried away but let's just say I'm quietly confident....top 3 finish  8) hopefully.  ;D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #73: Aug 09, 2016 10:44:36 pm
      5th
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #74: Aug 09, 2016 11:56:16 pm
      Ah come on Billy , you can't have a rattle at people not believing and then hedge your bets with "in all honesty top 4 would be a success. "

I do understand though mate... I hedged my bets too :)

Still very difficult to be a true believer. We need a good start to the season to get everyone on board and then hopefully once we are up there we can stay there and enjoy the ride.

I think this is gonna be a season to remember, hopefully one to treasure too. 

Fairy Muff S@int, but some are advocating we won't get higher than 6th, I mean ffs, perhaps I'm being over cautious too saying 4th minimum, but realistically most of us would happy finishing 4th come May, would you say most of us would be happy with 6th, me thinks not,

CL is the real aim this season is it not,? many are saying it's too early for a full on title charge and we are 2,3, 4 players short of that, I'm optimistic enough to say tho we can challenge this season, so perhaps I should said anywhere between 1st & 4th but that would be just boring cos everyone can say that, well most can anyhoo,

Summing up, of course it's possible we could be in the mix for no 19 with perhaps 5 to go, why not?
      But for me gaining a CL spot takes precedence over any cup this season and if we can secure it by winning the title, who's gonna complain ? , so for me anyway, we need to get into the CL, we've been away far too long as it is, and I think Jürgen himself deep down would want that more at this moment in time,

CL  brings higher quality players, and those will help us get no 19. So let's get that CL spot and see who arrives next summer ?

YNWA

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #75: Aug 10, 2016 12:27:07 am

Fairy Muff S@int, but some are advocating we won't get higher than 6th, I mean ffs, perhaps I'm being over cautious too saying 4th minimum, but realistically most of us would happy finishing 4th come May, would you say most of us would be happy with 6th, me thinks not,

CL is the real aim this season is it not,? many are saying it's too early for a full on title charge and we are 2,3, 4 players short of that, I'm optimistic enough to say tho we can challenge this season, so perhaps I should said anywhere between 1st & 4th but that would be just boring cos everyone can say that, well most can anyhoo,

Summing up, of course it's possible we could be in the mix for no 19 with perhaps 5 to go, why not?
      But for me gaining a CL spot takes precedence over any cup this season and if we can secure it by winning the title, who's gonna complain ? , so for me anyway, we need to get into the CL, we've been away far too long as it is, and I think Jürgen himself deep down would want that more at this moment in time,

CL  brings higher quality players, and those will help us get no 19. So let's get that CL spot and see who arrives next summer ?

YNWA

Top 4 and a CL place is my fallback position and about what par is for this season. Obviously we expect/hope we will get more from Jürgen, so I still believe we can get a title challenge. A lot depends on what happens before the transfer window closes as to whether we get the extra points we might need to finish top.

I think we will need mid 80's points to get a genuine chance of the title. So that's my aim for the season, get 85 / 86 points and hope that's enough to win the title.

Just don't want a league season like the last couple where it was over before Christmas

Not a believer but a bloody strong hoper :)   

Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #76: Aug 10, 2016 01:40:03 am
      1st for me. If Leicester can win it then we certainly bloody can.

We don't have the distraction of Europe and we have Klopp with his team playing the way he wants.

Maureen will have us all in stitches with his boring park the bus displays while supporters worship the ground he walks on despite being angry at Van Gaal for being, yep, boring!

Guardiola will be found out because not everything is in place for him at city, as it was at Barcelona and Bayern.

Conte will soon find out he doesn't have the discipline at chelsea that he had with the Italian team and Arsene Wenger will get off to a good start but do his usual disappearing act towards the end.

And Tottenham? nah, they had there chance last season and blew it!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #77: Aug 10, 2016 06:19:53 am
      Top 4 and a CL place is my fallback position and about what par is for this season. Obviously we expect/hope we will get more from Jürgen, so I still believe we can get a title challenge. A lot depends on what happens before the transfer window closes as to whether we get the extra points we might need to finish top.

I think we will need mid 80's points to get a genuine chance of the title. So that's my aim for the season, get 85 / 86 points and hope that's enough to win the title.

Just don't want a league season like the last couple where it was over before Christmas

Not a believer but a bloody strong hoper :)   

Mid 80s points is around 2.2pts per match approx, similar to 13/14 season I believe, that's a pretty high average to maintain over 38 games, so wouldn't surprise me if it's much lower, but the same will of course apply to the other contenders,

We will all lose points from each other and have freak results that always happen, I'm no mystic meg but I'd say between 76-81 could be enough, but wtf do I know 😂.

YNWA
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #78: Aug 10, 2016 07:26:29 am
      A decent left back, a good holding midfielder and a quality striker (all proven, not potentials) and we'll be 1st. As it stands, we'll be lucky to be top four as we still don't have what it takes to CONSISTENTLY win games against team that sits back and counter or ones that uses the aerial balls well.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #79: Aug 10, 2016 08:13:15 am
      A decent left back, a good holding midfielder and a quality striker (all proven, not potentials) and we'll be 1st. As it stands, we'll be lucky to be top four as we still don't have what it takes to CONSISTENTLY win games against team that sits back and counter or ones that uses the aerial balls well.

Have some faith mate
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #80: Aug 10, 2016 09:39:14 pm
      Have strengthened, Klopp has had 8 months & good window to get who he wanted, no CL, more settled than some of the others who've just peeled the bubble wrap of the new managers, some of the lesser lights moved on.
      Maybe haven't signed the individual quality I thought we might, slight concern might be GK and LB, and up front  if Origi injured (cause have to assume Studge is going to miss a fair percentage).
      That said - Top 4. Voted 2-4. Hopefully a challenge :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #81: Aug 10, 2016 11:04:36 pm
      I'm confident enough to bang 40 squids on us winning.That's a fast paced team we've got there with players who can find the net. If they can get stuck in and not invite teams on. Keep pressing and get back to defend, easier said than done but i think they have it in them.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #82: Aug 11, 2016 12:01:09 pm
      Top 4 for me .
      I do think however that if Benteke Balotelli
      and a few others moved on before the end of the transfer window it could see our season transform to the dark horse for the league, release the equity that these players hold  and it's game on obviously Klopp has to get who he wants at the right price just like Liverpool getting the correct finance for the players we move on,
      2 or 3 quality signings make Liverpool a very attractive bet for the league.

YNWA
      craig weston
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #83: Aug 11, 2016 12:51:57 pm
      A week to go till the big kick off.  114 points to play for and hopes that we get more than the 60pts we managed last year. 

This poll will close before our first game of the season.

Where do you think we'll finish?
      1st
      craig weston
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #84: Aug 11, 2016 12:53:09 pm
      Ah come on Billy , you can't have a rattle at people not believing and then hedge your bets with "in all honesty top 4 would be a success. "

I do understand though mate... I hedged my bets too :)

Still very difficult to be a true believer. We need a good start to the season to get everyone on board and then hopefully once we are up there we can stay there and enjoy the ride.

I think this is gonna be a season to remember, hopefully one to treasure too.
      Billy my man
      valiver
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #85: Aug 11, 2016 03:30:03 pm
      Very excited for the upcoming campaign with Mane Matip Karius Ragnar Wijnaldum and Grujic being added to the club. Origi Coutinho Mane Firmino Lallana Ojo make the offense seem quite potent. I wish we could depend on Sturridge but I never put him into my predictions since hes a 10 game a season guy.

I have to say 2nd I dont see how the team can overcome Moreno and Mignolet. They will simply cost the club too many points before Karius returns, to take the title. In a league this competitive I am having a hard time believing the club is moving into this season with Moreno. I love Klopp and trust in his methods so perhaps he can teach Moreno proper positioning etc.

Cant wait to get started against Arsenal and see how the club does with a preseason under Klopp behind them.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,018 posts | 525 
      Reply #86: Aug 11, 2016 06:14:53 pm
      Have strengthened, Klopp has had 8 months & good window to get who he wanted, no CL, more settled than some of the others who've just peeled the bubble wrap of the new managers, some of the lesser lights moved on.
      Maybe haven't signed the individual quality I thought we might, slight concern might be GK and LB, and up front  if Origi injured (cause have to assume Studge is going to miss a fair percentage).
      That said - Top 4. Voted 2-4. Hopefully a challenge :)

Pretty much agree with this.

This season is a chance for us to win the league. But I'm surprised we've not signed a LB, and upfront I think we are still hoping on Sturridge. I've always liked Ings, and Origi has been better than I expected, plus Firmino and Mane can maybe fill in up front as well. But Sturridge is still our only proven prolific striker, and if he is out we are really hoping that somebody else steps up and does better than they have done before in their careers in that position. To me, if we want to win the league this year - and we should be aiming to - we are still probably going to need Sturridge fit. I think we should have gone for a proven prolific striker, like we at least tried to do last year with Benteke.

LB I think is obvious. Moreno has had 2 years here, and can't defend. I think it is highly optimistic to think he is going to finally get the hang of it this year. If he does, all glory to Jürgen! I think Milner is a better bet, but at the end of the day he's not a LB, so its another gamble and we may end up wide open down the left of our defence for another year.

On the other hand, the rest of our squad looks pretty good to me. If we get a bit of decent luck in those 2 dodgy areas ( eg Sturridge stays fit, or Origi hits the goal trail, and Milner works out as a LB), then I genuinely think we could win the league.

City, Manure and Chelsea have all just got new managers and are still rebuilding. City in particular are going to be hard to get past once Guardiola gets sets settled in and spending, but right now their squad still looks like it needs work. This season is an opportunity to win it, and it is likely to be harder next season.

So I think we have a shot at the title, but I think we are hoping to get lucky in 2 areas, and if we don't it could be 5th or 6th.
      So I compromised, and voted top 4.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #87: Aug 11, 2016 08:07:22 pm
      Do I even need to bother answering?

114 points, available. 114 points we go out and aim to pick up. Play like that and Liverpool Football Club will once again be the Kings of England - further enhancing our reign as England's most successful club.

Back that up with two domestic Cup competitions and we win the domestic treble.

We've had our storm, we've walked through both the wind and rain but now is the time to hold our heads up high and enjoy our golden sky. Because with hope in our hearts, we will never walk alone - we will instead walk with a 19th League Title held high above our heads.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,542 posts | 725 
      Reply #88: Aug 11, 2016 09:43:36 pm
      6th
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #89: Aug 14, 2016 10:40:10 am
      I would be happy to finish above Southampton and west ham

We have finished in the top 5 once in the last 5 years - same as Newcastle
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #90: Aug 15, 2016 11:12:27 am
      Well the season started with 114 points to play for, we're still on course for that.

111 left to go.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #91: Aug 15, 2016 12:47:38 pm
      In the four .

Quick Reply