Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool's most uninspiring shirt number

Read 4716 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool's most uninspiring shirt number
      Reply #23: Aug 16, 2016 12:19:56 am

Loved Momo before his injury. Poor guy. And Titi's goal against West Ham (?) was a mix of emotion when i first saw it.

Anyway, I just copy and pasted from LFCHistory all the names that wore the number :) The rest were sh*te!

Agree on #19 being the worst, though. Until Mané that is.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Aug 16, 2016 07:45:07 am
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25: Aug 16, 2016 08:49:27 am
      If you look at the more reasonable numbers -- 1 to 25
      To be fair most of the [historical] greats wore 1 to 11 and there's not much depth attached to many numbers outside of that. Look at number 23 - only three players have worn it... all good 'uns btw.

Number 44 seems to be blinked; the kiss of death but for me, the 'most uninspiring' is my birthday... # 27.  8)

Mark Gayle, Mark Prudhoe, Stephen Pears, Haukur Gudnason, Gregory Vignal, Philipp Degen & Divock Origi
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Aug 16, 2016 10:42:58 am
      Lately, No 9:

El Hadji Diouf, Djibril Cissé, Andy Carroll, Iago Aspas, Rickie Lambert, Christian Benteke

Vs

Fernando Torres, Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler, Nicolas Anelka,
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #27: Aug 16, 2016 10:45:03 am
      Who gives a sh*t, it's a shirt number.

Why do you get comments like this in every thread?

If you don't give a sh*t then f**k off and don't comment then.

edit: just seen this.

If you're not interested, f**k off.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #28: Aug 16, 2016 05:21:55 pm
      45!

Was thinking it was a pretty poor list of players when reading the post by Billy.

The fact I didn't even think of 45 as an option means it's a winner actually
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #29: Aug 17, 2016 08:13:27 am
      Lately, No 9:

El Hadji Diouf, Djibril Cissé, Andy Carroll, Iago Aspas, Rickie Lambert, Christian Benteke

Vs

Fernando Torres, Ian Rush, Robbie Fowler, Nicolas Anelka,

This is nothing against you mate, it's just something I see constantly from Liverpool fans. They bang on about how great Anelka was for us and I just don't remember it at all. The same is said for Bellamy, especially his first stint here. I just remember average. I don't know whether people hold Anelka higher because of what he'd achieved and who he'd played for previously and what he went on to achieve and play for later or just the fact that because we didn't sign him, we did get Diouf which makes people think of Anelka as some sort of saviour. But, I just don't remember him being that good for us.

And his goalscoring record for us isn't that good.

One goal in every five games for the League is a considerably worse ratio than Cisse and Benteke.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Aug 17, 2016 09:28:52 am
      This is nothing against you mate, it's just something I see constantly from Liverpool fans. They bang on about how great Anelka was for us and I just don't remember it at all. The same is said for Bellamy, especially his first stint here. I just remember average. I don't know whether people hold Anelka higher because of what he'd achieved and who he'd played for previously and what he went on to achieve and play for later or just the fact that because we didn't sign him, we did get Diouf which makes people think of Anelka as some sort of saviour. But, I just don't remember him being that good for us.

One goal in every five games for the League is a considerably worse ratio than Cisse and Benteke.

So what you're saying is, 9 is actually even more uninspiring. (Lately)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #31: Aug 18, 2016 05:36:15 am
      Numbers mean nothing now, their just squad numbers.

You could say 7 has had a bad number of players, actually probably more bad than good.

Any statos out there?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #32: Aug 18, 2016 02:05:14 pm

Because with Anelka it was what around a half season he spent with us, but it wasn't about his goals, it was all about his movement and use of the ball. End of the day he gets remembered fondly because when he pulled on the red shirt, he tried and should of been bought by Houllier instead of the other c**t. And we looked good with a forward 3 of Owen, Anelka and Heskey.

Loved watching Anelka during his time with the reds - a very clever footballer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33: Aug 18, 2016 03:40:10 pm
      Because with Anelka it was what around a half season he spent with us, but it wasn't about his goals, it was all about his movement and use of the ball. End of the day he gets remembered fondly because when he pulled on the red shirt, he tried and should of been bought by Houllier instead of the other c**t. And we looked good with a forward 3 of Owen, Anelka and Heskey.

Loved watching Anelka during his time with the reds - a very clever footballer.

what was it Houlier said something about him not being committed. I thought he looked good in a red shirt and I also think he was up for it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Aug 18, 2016 03:49:37 pm
      Numbers mean nothing now, their just squad numbers.

You could say 7 has had a bad number of players, actually probably more bad than good.

Any statos out there?

http://www.lfchistory.net/Stats/PremierLeagueShirtnumbers.aspx

These are Premier League only.
      7:   
      Nigel Clough,
      Steve McManaman,
      Vladimir Smicer,
      Harry Kewell,
      Robbie Keane,
      Luis Suarez,
      James Milner
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #35: Aug 22, 2016 06:09:30 pm
      They bang on about how great Anelka was for us and I just don't remember it at all.
      That could be because you were what; ten Billy? I doubt you remember much from that age.

I suppose tho', you could have been one of those "wee Granda" type of kids who was old before his time but I doubt it.  :laugh: 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #36: Aug 23, 2016 02:07:51 pm
      That could be because you were what; ten Billy? I doubt you remember much from that age.

I suppose tho', you could have been one of those "wee Granda" type of kids who was old before his time but I doubt it.  :laugh: 

Really? Given me nickname from me mates is Granddad, given me mam will happily tell everybody I was born aged 70, given I remember the treble year like it was yesterday (the year before Anelka arrived), given I remember us in the 90s very clearly.

You're questioning whether or not I remember Anelka's time here, I don't remember it being that great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8551 
      Reply #37: Aug 24, 2016 03:02:51 pm
      Really? Given me nickname from me mates is Granddad, given me mam will happily tell everybody I was born aged 70, given I remember the treble year like it was yesterday (the year before Anelka arrived), given I remember us in the 90s very clearly.

You're questioning whether or not I remember Anelka's time here, I don't remember it being that great.

Still a kid though Billy, I'm telling you from experience of being at virtually every game and watching Anelka, he was boss for us and should of been bought. Which is why I mentioned his movement etc, end of the day at the time, Owen was our main goalscorer and he had a number of goals set up by Anelka. In fact two games I can definitely think of were the Newcastle game, when the floodlights went out before the match started and the Blackburn game, both evening games as well, were Anelka was probably man of the match in both games.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #38: Aug 24, 2016 03:47:49 pm
      Still a kid though Billy, I'm telling you from experience of being at virtually every game and watching Anelka, he was boss for us and should of been bought. Which is why I mentioned his movement etc, end of the day at the time, Owen was our main goalscorer and he had a number of goals set up by Anelka. In fact two games I can definitely think of were the Newcastle game, when the floodlights went out before the match started and the Blackburn game, both evening games as well, were Anelka was probably man of the match in both games.

Kid or not mate, I was at every game at that time as well. I'm not knocking Anelka, nor the people who thought he was boss for us, I just personally don't remember him being that great for us.

In hindsight of course, I'd rather we did sign him on a permanent deal though ahead of Diouf.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #39: Aug 24, 2016 07:55:47 pm
      In hindsight of course, I'd rather we did sign him on a permanent deal though ahead of Diouf.

My judgement is always skewed by the fact that I look at how Anelka turned out and compare how that prat Diouf performed.

Quick Reply