Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Fernando blames hierarchy??

Read 5849 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Fernando blames hierarchy??
      Aug 17, 2016 09:07:24 am
      Former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes he was portrayed as a “traitor” following his controversial departure to Chelsea five years ago.

And the Spaniard says he feels “betrayed” by those in power at Anfield at the time, not least when it emerged publicly the player had “verbally requested” to leave the club.

Torres has spoken candidly about events leading to his British record £50million move to Stamford Bridge in January 2011 in a new book by Simon Hughes entitled “Ring of Fire: Liverpool FC into the 21st Century – the players’ stories”.

The striker details how he had spoken with managing director Christian Purslow in the summer of 2010 and later Damien Comolli after the Frenchman’s appointment as director of football in the November.

Torres wanted to know if he would be sold because of the club’s ongoing financial problems but was told by Purslow the players would need to stay for Liverpool’s value to remain high ahead of a possible takeover.

His frustration was heightened by Javier Mascherano being sold to Barcelona shortly after the meeting with Purslow.

New England Sports Ventures (later to become Fenway Sports Group) bought Liverpool and initiated a new structure with first Comolli’s arrival and then the appointment of Kenny Dalglish in place of the sacked Roy Hodgson.

“Comolli told me that the new owners (FSG), they had an idea of how to spend their investment,” says Torres.

“They wanted to bring in young players, to build something new. I was thinking to myself, this takes time to work. It takes two, three, four, maybe even 10 years.

“I didn’t have that time. I was 27 years old. I did not have time to wait. I wanted to win. Here we are five years later and they are still trying to build – around the same position in the league as when I left.”

Though Torres admits of his unhappiness and raising the possibility of leaving was discussed during a meeting with Dalglish, the conversation only happened after Liverpool had started negotiating privately with Chelsea.

And once the player’s willingness to consider leaving become public, he thinks a leak from the club “changed the view of everybody, including myself”.

“It was presented as if I was a traitor,” says Torres. “It was not like this in the discussion(s).

“Liverpool could not admit they were doing something wrong with the whole team. They had to find a guilty one.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/torres-liverpool-portrayed-traitor-felt-11757393.
      Just read this thoughts????hard done to or treacherous git😜
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 10:21:11 am by JD »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Fernando blames hierarchy??
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2016 09:17:34 am

We all know what he is and he should put the spade away and stop digging a bigger hole for himself.He had the lot at Anfield and threw it all away.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Aug 17, 2016 09:19:06 am
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/torres-liverpool-portrayed-traitor-felt-11757393

Read it and other comments from the time and since.

We all bought into the traitor scenario and the head turning money he was being offered  but I do think ,underlying all of this, there was a lot of maneuvering going on with Hansel and Gretel.

Stuff that we will never know about.

On reflection I don't think it was all one sided.  Torres wore his heart on his sleeve for this club ... as did Rafa ...and there had to be reasons why he did (or Liverpool did)  what he or they did.

One thing I do know.
      Something triggered his collapse in form .... in his confidence .... which for the rest of his time in the UK he never regained.
      Players need to feel wanted.
      There was something that happened with Purslow , Hicks or Gillett that did his head in.
      Perhaps Liverpool did need the ÂŁ50 million .

Perhaps it was even earlier with Rafa ...   as with what happened with the Alonso / Barry fiasco .

We'll never know.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2016 03:29:17 pm by MIRO »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2016 10:11:18 am
      H&G were undeniably tw*ts but Fernando was waning before he left. We got above price for him and he moved on to never hit those heights again.

Him walking out before giving Kenny a couple months to prove himself and maybe see which direction the club would go is also a bad reflection on him without needing someone to paint him out as a traitor.

If he stayed with Suarez, maybe we/he would've won something earlier.

But whatever, what is done is done.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #4: Aug 17, 2016 10:23:08 am

Imagine.  :jackoff:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #5: Aug 17, 2016 12:35:47 pm
      H&G were undeniably tw*ts but Fernando was waning before he left. We got above price for him and he moved on to never hit those heights again.

Him walking out before giving Kenny a couple months to prove himself and maybe see which direction the club would go is also a bad reflection on him without needing someone to paint him out as a traitor.

But whatever, what is done is done.
      See thats the thing with Torres its a grey area none of us know the whole truth , the only truth being the c###s in charge were raping the club and assets , I dont go in for all the bitterness towards players, its a short career and they want to win as much as they can if our club couldnt provide that platform , then surely thats the club's fault for not matching that ambition , better to have loved and lost than not loved at all .
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Aug 17, 2016 12:58:30 pm
      I suppose a question which should be asked in regards to this recent media activity around Torres is this. If you were Torres around that time of leading up to his departure, would you have done the same?

He wanted to win things. The club at the time was imploding. What else could he have done?

I still think he was out of order going to Chelsea. Bridges were well and truly burnt then. But for moving on?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #7: Aug 17, 2016 01:11:46 pm
      See thats the thing with Torres its a grey area none of us know the whole truth , the only truth being the c###s in charge were raping the club and assets , I dont go in for all the bitterness towards players, its a short career and they want to win as much as they can if our club couldnt provide that platform , then surely thats the club's fault for not matching that ambition , better to have loved and lost than not loved at all .

I still hold Nando in high regard, mate.

But he wasn't faultless and didn't help his tag as "traitor". He went to Chelsea. And his first interview for them was labelling them a big club as if we weren't.

So what do we do then as fans? Forgive him for essentially looking down at our club and giving us fans a backhanded comment whilst sitting in a Chelsea shirt?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: Aug 17, 2016 01:12:39 pm
      H&G were total cocks, Rafa was bickering with them, and Torres downed tools under Hodgson, cant blame him there.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #9: Aug 17, 2016 01:25:13 pm
      50m spondoolies, well appreciated thank you.
      The aftermath and attempts to spin a tale for a few dollars more are of no interest whatever.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #10: Aug 17, 2016 01:45:00 pm
      I still hold Nando in high regard, mate.

But he wasn't faultless and didn't help his tag as "traitor". He went to Chelsea. And his first interview for them was labelling them a big club as if we weren't.

So what do we do then as fans? Forgive him for essentially looking down at our club and giving us fans a backhanded comment whilst sitting in a Chelsea shirt?

Did he really look down on us, a lot were just sounbites he never got the adulation from them  , in fact we had the best out of him still a bit baffled as to how a world class striker turned into a run of the mill one , we have long since moved on , but I still think he has regrets over us .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Aug 17, 2016 01:47:43 pm
      Remind me again what he said after he got his move to Chelsea?

F**k him.
      No one gives a sh*t.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Aug 17, 2016 01:50:33 pm
      Did he really look down on us, a lot were just sounbites he never got the adulation from them

I think he did. He could've stuck to the usual PR crap of hoping to put in 100% and working for the fans.

He directly said he was happy to finally be at a big club.

And i think a majority of their fans like him. He did score some big goals for them (and miss some absolute sitters).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #13: Aug 17, 2016 01:51:20 pm
      Remind me again what he said after he got his move to Chelsea?

F**k him.
      No one gives a sh*t.

"I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer," Torres said. "I am joining a team that is at the top level. There is not another level after Chelsea.

Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this, you cannot say no."
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Aug 17, 2016 01:53:06 pm

"I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer," Torres said. "I am joining a team that is at the top level. There is not another level after Chelsea.

Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this, you cannot say no."

It was more of a rhetorical question mate, but thanks anyway ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,248 posts | 6364 
      Reply #15: Aug 17, 2016 03:31:02 pm
      Guessing those comments about the bigger club were a shot at LFC higher ups that he felt betrayed him. Nothing but love for Nando from me, still one of my favorite players.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #16: Aug 17, 2016 03:44:10 pm

To be fair...he has a point. F**k him for joining Chelsea but I can see why he might of been pissed off.

That summer we appointed f*cking Roy Hodgson and signed Shelvey, Jovanovic, Poulsen, Brad Jones, Joe Cole and Konchesky.

I'd out been out of there in a shot!

No need to have a dig at Liverpool though and twist the knife for us fans.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #17: Aug 17, 2016 03:58:54 pm
      Whoops, didn't know we had a second thread about this going....

In the end, we got ÂŁ50m for a crocked player who wanted to leave. But it wasn't Torres' fault was spent ÂŁ35m of that on Andy Carroll.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2016 04:11:26 pm

2007–08 season
      Debut Season
      On 4 May 2008, Torres scored a 57th-minute winner against Manchester City, which equalled the consecutive Anfield league goal record of eight games set by Roger Hunt.[32][40] After scoring his 24th league goal in the final game of the season, a 2–0 win against Tottenham Hotspur, he set a new record for the most prolific foreign goal scorer in a debut season in England, eclipsing Ruud van Nistelrooy's 23 goals.[32][41] He ended the season in joint second place with Emmanuel Adebayor in the race for the Premier League golden boot.[42]

Torres was subject to media speculation that Chelsea were willing to pay ÂŁ50 million to sign him but Torres responded by saying it would be "many years" before he left Liverpool.[43][44] Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks also negated the idea of a transfer, saying he would not allow Torres to leave the club at any price.[45]

2010–11 season

Following Roy Hodgson's appointment as Liverpool manager he stated that Torres would not be sold by the club, saying "He is not for sale and we don't welcome any offers for him. We want to keep him."[83]
      Hodgson dismissed reports Torres was set to leave Liverpool by saying "He has told us that he is looking forward to Monday, to getting back to work and looking forward to playing for Liverpool next season. That is what I know so other reports, I would suggest, are erroneous."[84] Torres stated his commitment to Liverpool on 3 August, saying "My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed."[85]

He was being tapped away at by the Chavs from the season he arrived .

On 27 July 2010, after returning from a break after the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Mascherano informed new Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson that he wanted to leave the club.[39] During that break, Hodgson had failed with several attempts to contact Mascherano, able only to leave messages for him saying that he was looking forward to meeting him back on Merseyside as his calls went unreturned.[40]

Mascherano was held in high esteem by the Liverpool fans, who gave him his own song, (to the tune of the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army").[41] After winning the 2011 Champions League Final with Barcelona, Mascherano, speaking directly after the match, said, "I want to say, I know that Liverpool supporters, after my exit, I know they were a little bit sad with me—this is for them as well."[42][43]

Liverpool announced on 27 August that they had agreed a transfer fee ÂŁ17.25m with Barcelona for the player and had given permission to him to speak with the Spanish club.[44]

Here was someone else who wanted to go to a big club .
      Six months before Torres.

The difference from what I can see was it was OK to leave the country but to play for the Chavs was different.

Hodgson went on January 8th 2011.

Torres went January 31st 2011.

Has nobody ever put into the mix that trying to play for the man for half of a season who was recently quoted as saying that

" I dont know what I am doing here " (!)   was another reason why Torres ended up uninspired by it all.

If we could see the owl was an arsehole ... surely a professional footballer could suss that out every day on the training ground.
      Including playing next to the Koncheskys of the world.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 08:51:29 am by MIRO »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2016 05:19:33 pm
      Guessing those comments about the bigger club were a shot at LFC higher ups that he felt betrayed him. Nothing but love for Nando from me, still one of my favorite players.

That's just it a lot of people are blinkered , I don't think for one minute those comments were aimed at the fans they were aimed a lot higher up the chain .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #20: Aug 17, 2016 05:23:20 pm

That summer we appointed f*cking Roy Hodgson and signed Shelvey, Jovanovic, Poulsen, Brad Jones, Joe Cole and Konchesky.

I'd out been out of there in a shot!

Did you have too that list reads like a fckin car crash just how the fck did we think we were going to win with that load of sh*t little wonder our best players wanted to fck off .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Aug 17, 2016 06:02:57 pm
      That's just it a lot of people are blinkered , I don't think for one minute those comments were aimed at the fans they were aimed a lot higher up the chain .

The fans are the club. despite what any of the custodians think.

I have the same view about Torres that I do about Suarez, who behaved like an absolute c**t, but still gets cut slack on here.
      I feel the same about Sterling who was nowhere near as badly behaved as Suarez, but gets dogs abuse on here.

My attitude is, they're gone and I couldn't give a F**k about players on other teams, which is all they are to me now.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #22: Aug 17, 2016 06:09:10 pm

Quick Reply