Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko

Read 3983 times
      MsGerrard
      Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko
      Aug 22, 2016 02:31:24 pm

So after the shambles at Turf Moor on Saturday, we turn our attention to the League Cup that we so nearly won under JĂźrgen last season with Man City pipping us to the post on a penalty shoot out  :(

Obviously we are massive favourites, but that's not always a good thing as Burton are doing pretty well so far this season, so we must not take this game for granted, I'm expecting a few first team players, plus some fringe players and a few reserves to balance out the team.
      Burton are managed by one of our old players - Nigel Clough, so he'll be wanting to get one over on the Reds, should be a decent night as long as we don't do anything silly.

Only up the road from me and I have a ticket for the game, so I'll be cheering on the redmen, hopefully all the way to Wembley again  8)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2016 03:00:00 pm
      Can't wait for this game. Hopefully it will help us to move on from our last one. I think we may see a slightly stronger side than would usually be the case against lower division opposition and hopefully a result that reflects that.

Mignolet

Randall          Matip        Lovren        Moreno

Grujic        Can   Stewart

Ejaria     
                    Origi            Ings   

Should see us to a comfortable win 4-1       

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Re: Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2016 03:03:17 pm
      A win would be nice to replace some of the gloom around...
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2016 03:04:03 pm
      Can't wait for this game. Hopefully it will help us to move on from our last one. I think we may see a slightly stronger side than would usually be the case against lower division opposition and hopefully a result that reflects that.

Mignolet

Randall          Matip        Lovren        Moreno

Grujic        Can   Stewart

Ejaria     
                    Origi            Ings   

Should see us to a comfortable win 4-1       

Would deffo like to see Matip, Grujic and Ejaria feature for this one
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2016 03:07:31 pm
      Hope to see the likes of Stewart, Grujic, Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria and Brannagan play. Plenty of young talent that can win this game comfortably.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2016 03:21:03 pm
      Boss rules out wholesale changes at Burton

Jürgen Klopp will not make wholesale changes for Liverpool’s EFL Cup tie at Burton Albion tomorrow night.

The Reds take on Nigel Clough’s Championship outfit just three days after their Premier League defeat at Burnley and four days before this weekend’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.

However, the boss does not see the need to rest any of his players at the Pirelli Stadium as Liverpool seek to bounce back from the disappointment of Turf Moor.

“Yes of course we’ll make changes, but not every change,” Klopp said at his pre-match press conference on Monday.

“It depends a little bit what the doctor will tell me in a few minutes, but it’s not likely that we’ll change seven or eight positions because I’m not sure we could. That’s not the plan.

“It’s another game, an important game, so we have to show that we can do better than last Saturday, of course.”

Klopp went on to say that he has not decided who will feature in his starting XI at Burton with the season still very much in its infancy.

“Of course we respect the opponent but it's not the moment to rest somebody but we have a few players now in a good shape and they have two weeks more pre-season,” he added.

“When they are healthy and fit, then we have to give them a chance of course that's how it is. If we think that they can help us then we will make a change but, like I said, [playing] Saturday and Tuesday, today is Monday so it's not the highest intensity of training.

“So it's not like you can train so good that I think, 'okay he should be in the line-up'. It's about which kind of opportunities we have; who can be used, who is in what shape, and that's what we try to figure out in the next 24 hours.”

Despite the quick turnaround after Burnley, Klopp has no fresh injury concerns ahead of the trip to Staffordshire.

"No real injuries, [you could call them] 'issues' if you want? Okay, I could now name a few names but they can still play, it's possible, and I have not made a final decision," the manager continued.

"At the moment I'd say everyone who was available last week is available, plus one or two players if we need them.

"We have a few players with longer injuries, like Luke [Lucas Leiva]. They are not back in training, so if we have other players we can use we should not force it."
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2016 03:25:50 pm
      Boss rules out wholesale changes at Burton

Jürgen Klopp will not make wholesale changes for Liverpool’s EFL Cup tie at Burton Albion tomorrow night.

The Reds take on Nigel Clough’s Championship outfit just three days after their Premier League defeat at Burnley and four days before this weekend’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.

However, the boss does not see the need to rest any of his players at the Pirelli Stadium as Liverpool seek to bounce back from the disappointment of Turf Moor.

“Yes of course we’ll make changes, but not every change,” Klopp said at his pre-match press conference on Monday.

“It depends a little bit what the doctor will tell me in a few minutes, but it’s not likely that we’ll change seven or eight positions because I’m not sure we could. That’s not the plan.

“It’s another game, an important game, so we have to show that we can do better than last Saturday, of course.”

Klopp went on to say that he has not decided who will feature in his starting XI at Burton with the season still very much in its infancy.

“Of course we respect the opponent but it's not the moment to rest somebody but we have a few players now in a good shape and they have two weeks more pre-season,” he added.

“When they are healthy and fit, then we have to give them a chance of course that's how it is. If we think that they can help us then we will make a change but, like I said, [playing] Saturday and Tuesday, today is Monday so it's not the highest intensity of training.

“So it's not like you can train so good that I think, 'okay he should be in the line-up'. It's about which kind of opportunities we have; who can be used, who is in what shape, and that's what we try to figure out in the next 24 hours.”

Despite the quick turnaround after Burnley, Klopp has no fresh injury concerns ahead of the trip to Staffordshire.

"No real injuries, [you could call them] 'issues' if you want? Okay, I could now name a few names but they can still play, it's possible, and I have not made a final decision," the manager continued.

"At the moment I'd say everyone who was available last week is available, plus one or two players if we need them.

"We have a few players with longer injuries, like Luke [Lucas Leiva]. They are not back in training, so if we have other players we can use we should not force it."

That's blown my team out of the water then :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2016 04:05:22 pm

Mine too. I think most of that about two weeks more preseason is about Emre Can, who apparently had some kind of back issue this week but of course was healthy enough to be on the bench. It would be nice to see him start tomorrow.

Otherwise, the lineup for the U23s tonight might give us a few hints about a couple of positions where young players might be included (right back-Alexander Arnold, CM-Stewart or Brannagan, forward Ben Woodburn). But doesn't sound like more than 2 or 3 changes overall from Saturday.

Hopefully the performance level is a big change however.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2016 04:06:12 pm

To be honest mate, I hope Klopp puts out a very strong squad,we need match fitness & sharpness to remain competitive.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2016 07:47:26 pm
      To be honest mate, I hope Klopp puts out a very strong squad,we need match fitness & sharpness to remain competitive.

I think it will be a good opportunity to get Matip, Grujic and CN some minutes because I think JĂźrgen would like to see them in his regular starting 11 sooner rather than later but beyond that I would not envisage too many of the youngsters playing although I would personally LOVE to see Ejaria get some involvement because the kid is so talented. No one could convince me that that lad couldn't have had an impact off the bench at Burnley on Saturday.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2016 08:17:47 pm
      Need to try and keep a mother-flipping clean sheet at some point. Let's start here.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2016 08:42:20 pm
      Dickhead has been sitting in front of the box flicking through the sky channels thinking match was on tonight...

Long day...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2016 09:16:54 pm
      Remember Grimsby .

Home Of The Cod .
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2016 09:35:16 pm
      Dickhead has been sitting in front of the box flicking through the sky channels thinking match was on tonight...

Long day...

You're just too excited for it is all.

Personally wouldn't mind seeing an almost completely different side to Saturday's team barring 1-2 players (Migs and possibly Lovren). Hope to see Grujic, Can, Brannagan, Ejaria, Alexander-Arnold, Origi, Ings, Matip, and a couple more fresh faces get handed starts - possibly test Klavan out at LB.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2016 10:23:35 pm
      In some ways I think it is a positive to have a game so soon after the poor performance at the weekend, it gives us a chance to correct mistakes and stop dwelling on what happened at Turf Moor, which in turn allows us to focus on more positively on Spurs at the weekend. All of this is said with the exact same tone and expectation that I used in the Burnley pre match thread so naturally I am going to add plenty of caution here too. We have a chance to right wrongs here, but that is not to be taken for granted, we need to earn the right to play and deal with these professionally otherwise one bad day at the office becomes exaggerated unnecessarily, see 12 months ago.

Burton secured automatic promotion from League 1 last season by just a point, but have already shown they won't be going back down without a fight with late goals being something of a speciality for them in the early parts of the season. And to really paint the underdog picture for you Burton have spent a total of €358 thousand this summer. And that was on one player with the other 8 additions to the squad being a mixture of free transfers, loans and promotion from their youth team. And by all accounts they're not exactly in disarray, although in 18th they have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2. Those matches being;

4-3 loss to Nottingham Forrest (including a 90th minute goal for Albion),
      2-1 loss to Bristol City (Equalising in the 88th min before conceding in the 95th)
      An impressive 3-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday, who are one of the favourites for promotion this year after being knocked out in last seasons play offs
      2-2 draw with Blackburn (Again equalising in the 88th minute)

And that is just in the league, in the first round of this competition they beat Bury 3-2 after extra time, scoring twice in extra time!

Say what you will but it is plainly obvious that these lads are grafters, and with 5 games of competitive football under their belt it's not enough to simply say we're fitter and better than them. As MsG says above, Nigel Clough is managing Burton and he seems to have them lining up in a 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 depending on what's called for. Upon saying that I can't imagine Clough didn't take heart from Burnley on Saturday and I fully expect a 5-3-2, sitting deep, tough to break down and happy to forfeit possession. They have played the same 11 in the last two games although Clough says that he will be making changes with a home match against Derby coming up on Friday, one that Clough admits is more important with the league points at stake. That added to the fact that their captain John Mousinho came off injured against Blackburn at the weekend. I think they have a very small squad (18/19 players), so there won't be wholesale changes, but I will try to guess at the lineup.

From my very limited knowledge of them I think that the introduction of McCrory, Flanagan, Chodhury and Beavon is about as many changes as Clough can afford and still feel he has a chance. From what I can see Irvine and Naylor are their goal threats with Palmer and Akins always dangerous in supply and attack. And the likes of Dyer as a wing back will be a threat in a counter, all they're looking for is one chance (we gave Burnley two), they're quick up the wings and dangerous from set pieces (I can hear the groans from everyone reading that), but they're not without their flaws. In their five games they have scored 12 goals but also conceded 11, just like us they don't seem to have a 0-0 in them!

The biggest issue I see with what they have done so far and what we have done so far is I don't see where we get the space to play. Even when they counter I don't see that back three moving from their box, the full backs might take a chance but the back three and possibly Irvine won't commit unless they get a threatening set piece (the groans again...). So for us to avoid a repeat of Saturday we need to draw them out, and at the same time be ready to use the spaces. I think we did try that against Burnley, namely Lallana in the opening 20 mins, but I think we need a different approach. Don't look to get in behind with sick play, when the gap opens attack the space, attack the ball, ie. get big fuckers to knock the ball in. So for that I think we need some height and physicality, making this the ideal debut for Matip and Grujic, and a nice reintroduction for Can and Origi, possibly even Stewart.

Obviously brute force and ignorance alone won't win this for us so that will need to be tempered with some guile and quick play to draw them out. Where the likes of Lallana in an attacking position and either Coutinho or Firmino if they play smarter than they did on Saturday. And its also a good chance for the likes of Brannagan and Ejaria to get a go against older, tougher opposition and prove their worth.

For me, I would like to see:

With a bench of Manninger, Moreno, Klavan, Hendrson, Brannagan, Ejaria, Ings

I think that is a fair mix of flair and direct players. It at least gives us the chance to make something of our crosses, as well as having the players there to get the ball down and play it when necessary. While I'm not too overjoyed at the idea of Coutinho on the left again myself, the fact is that the manager clearly see's it as a role for him. If we can minimise the 30 yard pot shots (not eradicate them all together, because they can be quite good!) and use his skill and his reading of the game to draw them out. He is potentially going to be the best player on the pitch, they are going to double up on him the second he threatens, which means he's taking players out of the game. He can't keep looking to cut in on his right and get a shot away, it's too predictable and they'll be happy to let him to do it. His most important job is to do exactly what they don't want him to, run at them, turn them, pull them out, make them nervous, make them second guess and that hesitation is when we get space in the box.

Space for Origi, who thrives on running into that space, and for Grujic, who has shown early signs that he can be useful arriving late. It could also be to the benefit of forgotten man, Wijnaldum, we've seen what he can do (unfortunately not for us yet) but a more direct style in this type of game should suit him more than what we tried on Saturday.

Can comes in as our engine for this one, and with a bit of needle that we desperately lacked on Saturday. Cutting passes, aggressive runs and no nonsense tackles will be needed, step up Emre.

I think most people are expecting Matip to get a run out after he's been on the bench for the last two games and with the widely accepted idea that he is here as a first choice center half then the sooner the better to get combining with Lovren. This should provide the perfect opportunity for that, and I think we will need a big lad to clear out their crosses and maybe even knock in one of our own. And while I don't see a huge future for Randall at LFC, Clyne can't play every minute of every game and if Trent Alexander Arnold is to be a future midfielder then maybe we're better off letting him focus on that. Migs picks himself as I think this was always due to be his type of game, I don't think Manninger is here to play, I think he's more likely here for what he brings to the training ground. And while I doubt it will be popular I would go for Milner at LB again, solely because I think our best chances will be from whipping the ball into the box as I don't see where we get 30 yards for Moreno to burst into.

If we can show solidity behind and hurt these early then this should be a professional performance. But we've learned where complacency gets us, and these will be up for it and they are a threat, write them off at our own peril. The longer we go without scoring the more frustrating it will become, so a first half goal will be important to us I feel. Get that and they have to come out and we have some room to play and something to build on. I do worry that these lads have a goal in them and they have proven that they play until the final whistle! All going to plan I'm going for a 3-1 win for the Reds, Origi, Can and Lallana
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2016 10:55:53 pm
      its a game he cant win really unless we come away with a big win. Its back to not knowing what sort of performance we will be getting isn't it.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #16: Aug 22, 2016 11:15:55 pm
      No wholesale changes, but I'd definitely be cool with Can and Grujic starting in midfield.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #17: Aug 22, 2016 11:44:39 pm
      The only way to win these early round games against the lower division teams, especially away from home is to be as physical as possible, muscle them off the ball and win within the 90 minutes.
      Sadly, full blooded tackles and authority in midfield seems to be lacking from our team at the moment and has been for a while.

The last thing I want right now is to hear of some part time car mechanic rising above Lovren at the far post to score the winner in the 87th minute..

We need to be putting this game to bed by half time ... end of.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #18: Aug 22, 2016 11:46:51 pm
      I sense the fanbase is nervous about this one...!  :o
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #19: Aug 22, 2016 11:50:31 pm
      I sense the fanbase is nervous about this one...!  :o

It's the inconsistency Ray... It's driving me mad !
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #20: Aug 22, 2016 11:52:14 pm
      Me too, guitar man, me too!!

I can see this game's going to shred my nerves even further.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: Aug 22, 2016 11:56:34 pm
      Me too, guitar man, me too!!

I can see this game's going to shred my nerves even further.

Is this one settled on the night? or could we have the luxury of a replay? ( back at their place as well no doubt with the new stand not open for business yet)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #22: Aug 22, 2016 11:59:41 pm
      Once again I'd expect us to win handsomely, even with two or three fringe players in.
      But will  bet on it?
      Do I think theres a chance of a giant killing, hiding in the shadows ?
      No chance of a bet on us, and yes, because its us v a lesser side, there could be an upset.
      Heaven forbid.

Quick Reply