Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko

Read 3962 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Re: Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko
      Reply #23: Aug 23, 2016 12:07:58 am
      Is this one settled on the night? or could we have the luxury of a replay? ( back at their place as well no doubt with the new stand not open for business yet)

13.4 In the event of the scores being level at the end of ninety minutes’ play in Rounds One, Two, Three, Four and Five an extra half-hour shall be played. If the tie is still undecided after extra time, the winners shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.
      Read more at http://cup.efl.com/competition/rules/index.aspx#ezktY7GUORr1BlyC.99
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Pre-match thread Burton Albion V Liverpool League cup 2nd rd 23/8/16 - 19.45ko
      Reply #24: Aug 23, 2016 12:13:33 am
      13.4 In the event of the scores being level at the end of ninety minutes’ play in Rounds One, Two, Three, Four and Five an extra half-hour shall be played. If the tie is still undecided after extra time, the winners shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.
      Read more at http://cup.efl.com/competition/rules/index.aspx#ezktY7GUORr1BlyC.99

Christ !.. Moreno took our last penalty didn't he? :roll: even if he did score !
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25: Aug 23, 2016 12:17:23 am
      I want to see width with wide players actually out wide and attacking their full backs, or players that will make runs behind the opposition defence, oh... and a proper DM.

Clyne   Matip  Lovren  Moreno
               Grujic   Stewart
                   Coutinho
      Markovic    Origi       Ojo/Ings

I like Can, but I don't know how to fit him in unless he's playing along side a DM/DLPM. I think Stewart shifts the ball quicker, defense minded and looks more natural in the #6 role.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #26: Aug 23, 2016 12:24:43 am
      Grujic to play. Grujic to score.

We usually make a meal of playing bottom of League Two sides at home at this stage of the competition so a team that has had a great last season to earn automatic promotion to the Championship, and playing them away, may be even trickier.

No slip ups tomorrow.  Origi - get back in the mood.

The last thing I want right now is to hear of some part time car mechanic rising above Lovren at the far post to score the winner in the 87th minute..

Deffo going to happen now.  Who's the shortest player in their team? Might be worth a few quid.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #27: Aug 23, 2016 12:34:50 am
      There's a lot of players who Jürgen could/should pick for this one, for many different reasons.

Take the forwards: Does he give Sturridge game time to get sharper and more match fit?  Does he give Origi the gig to get him on the boil (as he seems to favour him now)?  Does he pick Ings to keep him happy and unleash his hard-working efforts on the Championship side?  Does he persist with Firmino as the 'false 9' (utter bollocks).  Ejaria - a real talent in need of a decent chance in the 1st team?  Ojo - quick and sharp - just the qualities we need for this one?  Does he put Balotelli in the shop window? (OK, tongue firmly in cheek, there).

I hope he gives Ings a go, but I'd also love to see Ejaria / Ojo in the mix.  Not to mention Origi...  God, who'd be a manager?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Aug 23, 2016 01:03:56 am
      There's a lot of players who Jürgen could/should pick for this one, for many different reasons.

Take the forwards: Does he give Sturridge game time to get sharper and more match fit?  Does he give Origi the gig to get him on the boil (as he seems to favour him now)?  Does he pick Ings to keep him happy and unleash his hard-working efforts on the Championship side?  Does he persist with Firmino as the 'false 9' (utter bollocks).  Ejaria - a real talent in need of a decent chance in the 1st team?  Ojo - quick and sharp - just the qualities we need for this one?  Does he put Balotelli in the shop window? (OK, tongue firmly in cheek, there).

I hope he gives Ings a go, but I'd also love to see Ejaria / Ojo in the mix.  Not to mention Origi...  God, who'd be a manager?

You make some valid points there Ray, it's almost as though Jürgen has to much choice, personally I'd like to see Danny Ings given a go, I think he could be a real Klopp type player, but he doesn't seem mega keen on him, we will have to wait and see what team he picks, I just want to see 100% passion from whoever is lucky enough to pull on the shirt and remember who they're playing for.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Aug 23, 2016 01:12:23 am

Agree about the talent of Ejaria and Ojo, but I believe both are out injured for this one (for sure Ojo is).

Actually just looked at the photos on the LFC site and it looks like Ejaria is back in training with the first team so....maybe. About halfway through that set of pics, who is the guy running behind Danny Ings as they slalom through the agility sticks? Is that Alberto
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #30: Aug 23, 2016 12:12:27 pm
      We need to beat them comfortable so as the players gain some confidence for Spurs. We need to win this so to try and lift a trophy this year.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #31: Aug 23, 2016 01:20:01 pm
      lets smash these, and keep a clean sheet please.

Need a confidence boost bfre the spuds game.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #32: Aug 23, 2016 01:22:57 pm
      A good win with a clean sheet would be nice.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Aug 23, 2016 01:43:56 pm
      Just win please.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34: Aug 23, 2016 01:47:13 pm
      coyr

ynwa

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #35: Aug 23, 2016 02:24:53 pm
      A good win with a clean sheet would be nice.

When was the last time we had a clean sheet? I genuinely can't remember
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #36: Aug 23, 2016 04:33:27 pm
      When was the last time we had a clean sheet? I genuinely can't remember

When we de-throned the mighty Barcelona! (Albeit in preseason... :laugh:)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #37: Aug 23, 2016 05:38:40 pm
      Would quite like to see a midfield of Can, Grujic and Wijnaldum.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Aug 23, 2016 06:03:51 pm
      ECHO wondering if Joe Maguire in the team tonight because of an emoji he tweeted. He just played for the U23s last night...went 90 if I recall.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #39: Aug 23, 2016 06:19:11 pm
      If we rock up there tonight with a bunch of kids, fringe and misfits we will go out with our tails between our legs.

Decent championship team these days Burton. Even our first team is not assured a nice time of it this evening. Just got to get through these ties, and with no Europe this should be one of our top priorities this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40: Aug 23, 2016 06:21:15 pm
      If we rock up there tonight with a bunch of kids, fringe and misfits we will go out with our tails between our legs.

Decent championship team these days Burton. Even our first team is not assured a nice time of it this evening. Just got to get through these ties, and with no Europe this should be one of our top priorities this season.

it will be like Burnley mark 2 only in a smaller stadium with the smell of breweries in the background
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #41: Aug 23, 2016 06:23:39 pm
      The only way to win these early round games against the lower division teams, especially away from home is to be as physical as possible, muscle them off the ball and win within the 90 minutes.
      Sadly, full blooded tackles and authority in midfield seems to be lacking from our team at the moment and has been for a while.

The last thing I want right now is to hear of some part time car mechanic rising above Lovren at the far post to score the winner in the 87th minute..

We need to be putting this game to bed by half time ... end of.

Yeah much worse than a part time builder scoring against us   :angel:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #42: Aug 23, 2016 06:41:57 pm
      This lot tend to be involved in games with a lot of goals... we will scalp them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #43: Aug 23, 2016 06:50:42 pm
      Going to watch this in the pub tonight, hope for a decent performance & a few goals. After Saturday's shambles at Burnley.

Quick Reply