Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Grappling Rule (everybody wants to be a striker rule)

Read 1441 times
      Le Gargoyle
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 61 posts |
      The Grappling Rule (everybody wants to be a striker rule)
      Aug 27, 2016 03:08:24 am
      Just a few thoughts on this one.

We've all at some point cried 'what the Falkirk is Skrtel doing! Or, alternatively, ' Shawcross yo dirty ........ that's when ref!'

The first thing for me is that I think the  a red is too far. The rule already existed for refs to five a pen and a booking but too often chickened out. That perennial word in these types of discussions,  consistency, has really been a issue.

Side note: trying to type this on a tablet, nightmare 1, trying to place the damned cursor to correct t typos,

F**k this, you get my drift what do you think of the rule?

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: The Grappling Rule (everybody wants to be a striker rule)
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2016 06:14:22 am
      Simples anywhere else on the field it's a free kick , don't even know why it's a discussion tell the thick cu*ts before they go on the field if they do it it's a pen , no grey area , perhaps then we can get back to defending properly .
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2016 07:49:03 am
      Its very strange isnt it? Before the corner is even taken defenders are pushing and pulling. Imagine that was happening out the field when the ball was dead! The ref would almost certainly book players.

It might be difficult for the ref to see every incident, but he should be looking out for it, the linesman can help too.
      A yellow card and pen every time, and it will soon start to die down, of course it will take ages for the FA to come up with the initiative to sort it out.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2016 09:40:21 am
      It's like the box has its own set of rules for a number of things isn't it.

I mean grappling outside the box and it's a free kick. However inside it's mostly fair game.

Fouls and tackles that are given outside are often minimal contact and warrant free kicks however the exact same foul inside the box is waved away.

Handballs where the ball is kicked at the hand are also regularly given as free kicks are also waved away if it's inside. And...

Keepers can basically jump into someone inside the box on a corner and free kick and win a foul for nothing.

It gets on my tits every time it happens especially the tackles that anywhere other than inside the box are a free kick are turned away as penalties.

I can't see it ever changing myself I think refs are just too scared to be consistent if their decision is going to have to result in a potential game changing penalty.

Unless of course it was David Ellery or Howard Webb reffing us vs the Mancs 
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2016 10:07:20 am
      I was talking about this with some mates the other day, about how its blindingly obvious and again, that it'd be punished without hesitation elsewhere on the pitch.

But how does the law stand on giving a foul BEFORE the ball is in play, ie before the corner is taken? One lad said the ref can't card the player and penalise his team until it is.  I don't know, does anyone agree with this?

The other problem for refs is this:  Do you penalise the defender or the attacker or both?  Just giving a penalty and a card to the defender isn't the simple answer it looks to be. 
      It's almost always a 50:50 situation, so why penalise the defender (OK in Skrtel's case it was clearly usually HIM!) when the attacker is likely to be doing it too?  If that happened, attackers would do it to defenders with impunity while defenders would have to remain 'hands-off'.  It'd be open to all sorts of shenanigans from the likes of Costa etc, making it look as if he was being held when he was doing it himself.

Simply put, no player should have any sort of grip or even hand on another player.  If that rule is kept to, the ref penalises BOTH attacker and defender by issuing a yellow card.  Ref's assistant should be expected to flag if they see it, too.  Play continues with the corner or free kick (ie no free kick or pen is awarded for the offence, just that both players involved are yellow carded).

There's a lot of sh*t like this that cheapens football and makes players (and ref's) look like cheats and invites inconsistency.  Another one that drives me mad is when defenders 'shepherd' the ball out of play by blocking an attacker.  How, in the laws of football, is that not 'obstruction'???  Anywhere else on the pitch it would be. 

These grey areas that have been allowed to become normal behaviour ruin the dignity of sport, so that we hear muppet pundits publicly praising players for blatant acts of cheating.  Great example for the kids in an Olympic year!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2016 10:22:57 am
      you get my drift what do you think of the rule?

Too many football games in the Premier League we often see the result 'decided' by a referee's interpretation of the rules.  I think this is only going to add to it.

You will see blatant pulls 'not seen' by the officials in one half and less serious offences getting punished in the next.  Not a fan of the new rule.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2016 10:41:04 am
      Too many football games in the Premier League we often see the result 'decided' by a referee's interpretation of the rules.  I think this is only going to add to it.

You will see blatant pulls 'not seen' by the officials in one half and less serious offences getting punished in the next.  Not a fan of the new rule.

I think that's the biggest problem in football right now and the source of the inconsistency of officiating. The rules should be interpreted for them, or written in a manner that leaves no room for interpretation whatsoever. That way every referee is singing from the same hymsheet and players know what they can, and can't get away with.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7: Aug 27, 2016 11:32:24 am
      The knock on effect of outlawing grappling  is that more goals will be scored from corners, as sure as eggs is eggs. Therefore the winning of/concession of corners will become much more important. Teams "running the channels" will benefit.

Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, just pointing it out while I await our team news.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #8: Aug 27, 2016 11:33:54 am
      You're probably right there Mick, but I still think it stinks!
      Grappling, I mean.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2016 02:57:06 pm
      No penalty today for Vertonghen swinging out of Matip, just a talking to. Consistency eh. :roll:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2016 03:14:10 pm
      You have to practically kill somebody on a corner to get a penalty called against you. It's all about that notion of refs "deciding" matches and all that.

Quick Reply