Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The next 48 hours and our season.

Read 5144 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,210 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The next 48 hours and our season.
      Aug 29, 2016 10:15:09 pm
      How important are the next 48 hours to our hopes for the season? Or put another way if we don't sign a proper left back and a defensive minded midfielder will we shoot ourselves in the foot going for top 4 or more?

No need to abuse Moreno or Milner in the discussion just simply rate the importance you feel the next 48 hours has on our prospects
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016 11:36:07 am by JD »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Re: the next 48 hours and our season.
      Reply #1: Aug 29, 2016 10:21:03 pm
      No doubt the universe will end within the next 48 hours.

I'm getting pissed while I can!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #2: Aug 29, 2016 10:26:53 pm
      How important are the next 48 hours to our hopes for the season? Or put another way if we don't sign a proper left back and a defensive minded midfielder will we shoot ourselves in the foot going for top 4 or more?

No need to abuse Moreno or Milner in the discussion just simply rate the importance you feel the next 48 hours has on our prospects

We're signing no one mate.

😞
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #3: Aug 29, 2016 10:32:38 pm
      I think it's important to have competition for places across all positions as injuries will rear their ugly head as the season progress's.
      Don't think we'll see any last minute signings if i'm honest which despite my trust in Jürgen could well come back and bite us on the arse as we sit motionless mid table as the pack disappear over the horizon.

Then again,If we don't sign anyone in the next 48 and we smash Leicester 4-0 next week it will all be worth it.. won't it?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,210 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 29, 2016 10:33:52 pm

To be honest I wouldn't be too concerned about signing a midfielder but I think Milner and Moreno would cost us over the course of the season. I like Milner and actually think he could cover for left back but as against spurs could be caught out against the top attacking teams.

I think most would agree its been the problem position for some time so baffling to not have it properly sorted out with the window closing in 2 days
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Aug 29, 2016 10:40:21 pm
      Not very important according to the people that matter.

Very important in my opinion, but here i am flogging a ps4 controller on Schpock in order to live until Friday so don't listen to me  :laugh:
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Aug 29, 2016 10:43:25 pm
      I'd rather be told now we're signing no one, than wait to see what might happen at the last minute on deadline day again. We'll probably sell Sturridge knowing my luck!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,224 posts | 4919 
      Reply #7: Aug 29, 2016 10:43:36 pm
      I'm honestly not that bothered Bri.

We might end up signing someone but most likely won't so I've kind of accepted that a while back now.

I also think it's not solely down to FSG and Jürgen is a stubborn bigger and this is his way as well.

Time will tell if we have enough this season but I have a feeling we will still surprise a few once we problem get up and running.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: Aug 29, 2016 10:51:31 pm
      if we have an amount of money to spend then why wouldn't you improve the squad it would surely make Jurgens job easier with a stronger squad
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #9: Aug 30, 2016 12:10:05 am
      I'm pretty confident our incoming business is done. I hope that Klopp is right and I'm wrong (probably likely) and that either Milner or Moreno will be fine at LB for what Klopp wants, but my personal opinion is that we are going to drop points because we've done nothing to address LB other than rely on Jürgen to teach Milly or turn around brain dead bertie. I hope my opinion is horses**t (as it often is) and Moreno proves us all fools.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Aug 30, 2016 12:35:24 am
      if we have an amount of money to spend then why wouldn't you improve the squad it would surely make Jurgens job easier with a stronger squad

Seems that Jürgen is the one who is choosing not to make his own job easier. He's already said the money is there and he signed the contract extension, he's the one who's comfortable with it.

As far as any of us should be concerned, he's the one who takes the heat for our LB weakness if it continues to develop as an issue. Or likewise, I'm sure he'll take a lot of the credit if our season is successful. Although any true leader should always take the blame when things go wrong and give the credit to their team when things go right, and I'm sure that's what we'll see from him either way.

I trust him completely as our manager though, but it seems like every single LFC fan has been in disagreement with his prioritization in this market (no incoming LB or DM), but I think we also all want to see him prove us entirely wrong on that.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #11: Aug 30, 2016 01:17:59 am
      Not concerned at all.  I think Jürgen's gegenpress tactics are a little more difficult to implement than the rigid, structured, organized approach like Mourinho/Conte preach.  It's a bit like Guardiola's philosophy -- takes time to implement, but will reap the rewards when it takes hold.  Once Jürgen has really got the team playing at top level, we will start to win games consistently.  While I expect this season to be very competitive for the top few spots, I think a genuine title push is on the cards and top 4 is a certainty for us :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Aug 30, 2016 08:22:54 am
      Not concerned either, "brain dead bertie" (like that) & Milly are efficient until Gomez gets match fit, I think Jürgen could convert him to LB,
      It's not his ideal position but we seen he can play there, his favoured spot is cb but I really can't see him displacing Matip, Lovren or even Klavan, and not forgetting Sakho,

Just a thought,  also rumours of a bid for Fuchs at Leicester are circulating, might just be click bait but stranger things have happened before in last day madness,

I think we're doing OK, our loss to Burnley was a blip, but it's all about reaction for me and we seen that against lowly Burton and again at Spuds,

The break will do us good, should iron out any injury niggles and will re-focus minds,

I too think we will surprise a few, once we get out of third gear and get up and running proper we're going to be very difficult to beat,
      I believe in our manager I believe in his philosophy, he may not make every decision go his way, he will make mistakes or misjudgements, but,  we are going in the right direction,  we are progressing,

Ask yourself this, the players we now have looking forward,  are they better than what we had before and will they take us forward?
      Jürgen is building it's going to take a season or 3, but we are improving and bit by bit he's adding, he's putting in place the pieces that will make us very very good,  be patient ppl, it's going to take time,  be patient and...........

TRUST YOUR MANAGER!!!!

YNWA
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #13: Aug 30, 2016 08:42:16 am
      Won't get nothing more out of these owners. They paid out initially for the few players bought in, only because they knew were selling or loaning out just about everyone else to negate any spend. Tighter than a gnats chuff!
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #14: Aug 30, 2016 08:59:57 am
      We do have an obsession with the transfer window, dont we :)
      Its much too late in the window now to even approach the caliber of player we want. Last thing we need is another Chilwell type. Instead if JK wanted a Left back, he could have made firm interests in a few top options weeks ago. The fact that he hasnt, means he is still ok with our current options. Who knows he may put Klavan or Gomez or even Sakho there as cover until the right one becomes available.

I also would like to see more of Grujic to see if he could be the option for DM. Otherwise the only incoming player in midfield i would like must be a DLPM with experience.

Neither will materialise over the next 2 days, so perhaps we can revisit this thread again in January?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: Aug 30, 2016 09:08:50 am
      Very important if we are serious about the season.

We have a negative net spend and are loaning / selling most of our squad including regular starters/challengers to the first 11 without any thought for cover and injuries in my opinion.

Milner is not the answer to our LB issue. He will do a job because hes a decent footballer but he will get found out and we will pay the price.

FSG need to spend some money and strengthen the squad rather than trim it. If they don't we will be once again in top 10, the investors will move on to another PL club and there are plenty of attractive ones waiting and we will be speaking about the same things in 2 to 3 years time as we watch the likes of West Ham, Spurs, Everton etc move on up the food chain and leave us static where we are now.

I trust Klopp although some of his latest decisions have baffled me, the owners I do not.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #16: Aug 30, 2016 10:31:53 am
      Seems that Jürgen is the one who is choosing not to make his own job easier. He's already said the money is there and he signed the contract extension, he's the one who's comfortable with it.

As far as any of us should be concerned, he's the one who takes the heat for our LB weakness if it continues to develop as an issue. Or likewise, I'm sure he'll take a lot of the credit if our season is successful. Although any true leader should always take the blame when things go wrong and give the credit to their team when things go right, and I'm sure that's what we'll see from him either way.

I trust him completely as our manager though, but it seems like every single LFC fan has been in disagreement with his prioritization in this market (no incoming LB or DM), but I think we also all want to see him prove us entirely wrong on that.
      The problem for Jürgen is that Mourinho, Guardiola and Conte have addressed their problems and are steaming ahead. We are looking a little like ditherers . As was proved against Spurs we are still a fragile team . There is always a soft belly in the midfield , acres of space in the FB area's at any given time and a backup keeper who is nothing of the sort. All these obvious weakness's in our team could of been addressed but haven't.
      I lost count of the times i heard people watching the game say " Spurs are gona score , you can see it coming " and we all knew from what area. That fragility in the team is common knowledge amongst the rest of the league and will be exploited .
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Re: The next 48 hours and our season.
      Reply #17: Aug 30, 2016 11:40:27 am
      With revenues way north of £300M Liverpool should be spending more on transfers than they receive - simple as that.  If you've won the league by twenty points the season before then maybe even the richest football clubs can post a transfer profit - but not when you finish 8th.

Still very early days in the season and on the whole I've been encouraged, but 're-training' Milner for left back seems nothing short of a 'cost-cutting' decision. Has to better options out there.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #18: Aug 30, 2016 11:44:03 am
      People peddling the old FSG line that its down to them we haven't bought a LB are seriously only kidding themselves.

Klopp can buy players for every position other than LB, but FSG manage that position do they, yeah right!  That's Garbage.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Aug 30, 2016 11:58:25 am

That's as close to being 100% as I've seen mate.

Personally I can't see us winning the League with what we have - I guess then it then all boils down what one deems passable/acceptable to be labeled a 'success'.

I'll be disappointed, if we only emulate the failure of last season, for example, where others might not but each to their own. If Jürgen doesn't want to (or, in reality, can't) attract a top quality, before deadline, it will feel like an opportunity lost, given we actually do have the resources but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating come May.

You are right tho' - if Jürgen wants to 'take the rap' so be it... he can have any praise too.
      LFC_Mental
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 30, 2016 01:18:24 pm
      I'm sure that if the right player was available Jürgen would have pulled the trigger, No point in throwing money at the problem as we have seen in the past, Better to work with what you have and make do rather than throw tens of millions at it and be no better off.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Aug 30, 2016 01:32:43 pm
      Better to work with what you have and make do rather than throw tens of millions at it and be no better off.

Is that what you reckon is happening then: there's no one better out there than our current left-back(s)?

If you don't mind me asking - why do you believe Jürgen can polish Moreno and/or Milner into a gem, worthy of a top club but he couldn't do the same with any other left-back in the whole F***ing world?  :confused-smiley-013:

We are fu**ed if that's true. :f_wah:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Aug 30, 2016 01:46:06 pm
      That's as close to being 100% as I've seen mate.

Personally I can't see us winning the League with what we have - I guess then it then all boils down what one deems passable/acceptable to be labeled a 'success'.

I'll be disappointed, if we only emulate the failure of last season, for example, where others might not but each to their own. If Jürgen doesn't want to (or, in reality, can't) attract a top quality, before deadline, it will feel like an opportunity lost, given we actually do have the resources but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating come May.

You are right tho' - if Jürgen wants to 'take the rap' so be it... he can have any praise too.

Yeah my feelings too mate. I expected a title challenge this season, but the squad looks just as unbalanced as it did last season. Really thought we might have added the quality we needed to make a real go of it this season.

Not given up yet by any means, but I think we are too reliant on certain players not being injured or losing form and as we have seen many times sod's law seems to pick out those players for special attention.

Definite feeling that we could have done more in this transfer window to address our problems and of a chance missed.

I think we are relying on the Jürgen factor rather than the quality of our players a little too much for comfort.     

Quick Reply