Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Transfer Deadline Day 2016-17

Read 18932 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Transfer Deadline Day 2016-17
      Reply #23: Aug 31, 2016 01:30:50 pm
      What's our net spend this window and how does it compare with the rest of the PL?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,203 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Aug 31, 2016 01:31:05 pm
      So where were up to

. Sakho possibly going out on loan...leaves us with 3 experienced centre backs, 2 of which are new to the league and 1 of which has a bad injury record

. Brannagan possible loan move if promised enough games. Sensible

. No sight of a much needed left back, though some think were ok once a centre half who played a few games there before being out injured for a year will sort us out there on his return

. No sight of a holding midfielder. Not a disaster if it doesn't happen Lucas can do a steady enough job and CAn maybe

. Cover for Mane. Raised this yesterday. When he goes to the African cup or is injured or suspended who comes in to give us what he does? Ojo? A lot to expect from him maybe? In fact there's been no talk of a player of Manes style coming in as cover at all.

Actually lads the more you break this down how strong is the squad? No right back cover, possibly down to 3 centre halves, no left back. No 2nd options for right or left wings and no out and out defensive midfielder. A positive net spend and the whole summer to do deals and yet heres glaring question marks about the squad strength, well for me anyway.

No way Clyne goes a season without suspension or injury, mane likewise. No way Moreno/Milner don't cost us points along the way. No way Lovern Matip and Klavan are all fit and free to play all season
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #25: Aug 31, 2016 01:42:03 pm
      So where were up to

. Sakho possibly going out on loan...leaves us with 3 experienced centre backs, 2 of which are new to the league and 1 of which has a bad injury record

. Brannagan possible loan move if promised enough games. Sensible

. No sight of a much needed left back, though some think were ok once a centre half who played a few games there before being out injured for a year will sort us out there on his return

. No sight of a holding midfielder. Not a disaster if it doesn't happen Lucas can do a steady enough job and CAn maybe

. Cover for Mane. Raised this yesterday. When he goes to the African cup or is injured or suspended who comes in to give us what he does? Ojo? A lot to expect from him maybe? In fact there's been no talk of a player of Manes style coming in as cover at all.

Actually lads the more you break this down how strong is the squad? No right back cover, possibly down to 3 centre halves, no left back. No 2nd options for right or left wings and no out and out defensive midfielder. A positive net spend and the whole summer to do deals and yet heres glaring question marks about the squad strength, well for me anyway.

No way Clyne goes a season without suspension or injury, mane likewise. No way Moreno/Milner don't cost us points along the way. No way Lovern Matip and Klavan are all fit and free to play all season

I think we are now up to a smaller net spend than Hull. Actually, thats a fact.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Aug 31, 2016 01:48:29 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #27: Aug 31, 2016 01:50:11 pm
      Deadline Day is a day for retards and window-lickers everywhere and they don't even hardly have them hanging around the knobhead Sky reporters to laugh at anymore (because the reporters get to hang around the training complexes or stadiums), Jim White et al all trying to turn themselves into celebrities and the rest of the hanger on ex-footballers talking sh*te on the gravy train provided by Sky.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #28: Aug 31, 2016 01:53:18 pm
      Deadline Day is a day for retards and window-lickers everywhere

Your type of day then eh we should rename it in your honour
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #29: Aug 31, 2016 01:55:37 pm
      Deadline Day is a day for retards and window-lickers everywhere and they don't even hardly have them hanging around the knobhead Sky reporters to laugh at anymore (because the reporters get to hang around the training complexes or stadiums), Jim White et al all trying to turn themselves into celebrities and the rest of the hanger on ex-footballers talking sh*te on the gravy train provided by Sky.

So not a fan of deadline day then.

I just think back to the days before Windows, when you could sign who you wanted when you wanted them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #30: Aug 31, 2016 01:57:00 pm

Definitely that aspect to it, also it's a chance for the club to loan out Balotelli and Markovic until their contracts run out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2016 01:57:25 pm
      So not a fan of deadline day then.

I just think back to the days before Windows, when you could sign who you wanted when you wanted them.

I hark for the days when you had the squad you wanted sorted before the season started.

Not exciting enough for the social media mob these days.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #32: Aug 31, 2016 01:58:30 pm
      Definitely that aspect to it, also it's a chance for the club to loan out Balotelli and Markovic until their contracts run out.

And we haven't even mentioned missing good ol' Harry handing free pizza out to everyone and talking sh*te out of his car window!!
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #33: Aug 31, 2016 01:58:46 pm
      I hark for the days when you had the squad you wanted sorted before the season started.

Not exciting enough for the social media mob these days.

You didn't know until it had happened, happy days.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,040 posts | 336 
      Reply #34: Aug 31, 2016 02:03:56 pm
      The net spend thing is skewing this debate. 

We had a lot of players who desired or were encouraged to leave, and thankfully (apart from Balo, Marko and Wisdom) that's happened.  We got good cash for Ibe, Benteke, Allen and others.  That kind of money-raising mass offload is pretty rare in a window (for us at least) and needed to happen.  Don't assume that all of that income was ever going to be put straight into the transfer kitty, however!  I think its a fairer angle to ignore the incomings and look at the outgoings when looking at our transfer dealings this summer.  'Net spend' is an easy stick to beat the club/JK/KSG with, but I not joining in.

Also, we've got a shiny new stand that the club are going to be paying for for 5 years (as I understand it), so clearly we're going to be a) thinking longer term for squad-building, ie very few big money star buys and b) trying to save up some money.

Klopp's stated style (and I'm not saying I'm totally in agreement with it) is to train and develop players, rather than buy established stars, and he has had success with that in the past.  That's what we'll be about for a few years, I think.  Hence I'm hopeful we'll get our weak areas covered today, but not expecting that it will happen...

Still think we need a left back though!!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Aug 31, 2016 02:06:43 pm
      Oooh bitchy!!

Nah be named after you more like "gobs***e wool talking sh*t day"

Stick to what you're good at knobhead ;)

I expected so much better need to raise your game huyton
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #36: Aug 31, 2016 02:08:11 pm
      I expected so much better need to raise your game huyton

You sure you're not from the Manchester area as you're acting like an obsessed manc :laugh:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #37: Aug 31, 2016 02:19:20 pm
      This F***ing obsession with how much has been spent in a F***ing transfer window does my nut in.

Stop F***ing glamorising it.

IT IS NOT A F***ing GOOD THING.

But it is happening. And those that have spent it will be celebrating in May while we cling on to the fact that we never really stood a chance anyway.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Aug 31, 2016 02:31:18 pm
      This F***ing obsession with how much has been spent in a F***ing transfer window does my nut in.

Stop F***ing glamorising it.

IT IS NOT A F***ing GOOD THING.

I find it a little amusing. The Media give the clubs the money in TV rights, then complain that the clubs have all this money to spend.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: Aug 31, 2016 02:36:15 pm

Sky's cringe fest that is Deadline Day is the nadir of their football coverage. They host it and get excited about the money spent, totalising the money hour by hour like Lenny Henry on Comic Relief.

It's disgusting but no less than I would expect from a company infested by Murdoch.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Aug 31, 2016 02:40:41 pm
      Couple of lads on my facebook reckon Sakho's in Sunderland at the Stadium of light, any news down Liverpool ?
      He's there on the Club Chopper...

Cutbacks everywhere.  :laugh:

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41: Aug 31, 2016 02:49:04 pm
      Ahh, I remember the heady days when people were moaning about not signing Ba or Bony.

What a difference they could have made, and look how much they achieved.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Aug 31, 2016 02:49:23 pm
      Sky's cringe fest that is Deadline Day is the nadir of their football coverage. They host it and get excited about the money spent, totalising the money hour by hour like Lenny Henry on Comic Relief.

It's disgusting but no less than I would expect from a company infested by Murdoch.

Is it really that big of a complete cringe-fest? Thought it was always just a day long show of a dude behind a desk and just a bunch of reporters giving updates.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #43: Aug 31, 2016 03:10:49 pm
      Deadline Day just doesn't have the same pizazz anymore now that 'arry Redknapp doesn't have a car window to interview from.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #44: Aug 31, 2016 03:22:53 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2016 03:24:34 pm

Quick Reply