Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO

Read 15584 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO
      Reply #23: Sep 06, 2016 11:48:41 am
      we are set up perfectly for Leicester to counter attack we need to score early to change their game plan or its going to be "twitchy".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #24: Sep 06, 2016 12:40:39 pm
      Confident of a win here as despite them being the Champions they're not that good.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #25: Sep 06, 2016 02:49:11 pm
      we are set up perfectly for Leicester to counter attack we need to score early to change their game plan or its going to be "twitchy".

Yeah, this is the type of team we need to learn how to beat.  We always do well against teams who come out and try to play us straight up, but against teams that sit deep and play on the counter we tend to struggle.  We need to change this habit if we are to be successful this year. 

I think Matip will be a big part of our ability to successfully hold a high line against teams like this.  Him and Lovren (both front foot defenders) need to strike up a good partnership over the next few weeks.  The CM partnership will also need to develop a better understanding of how/when to go forward and support the attack, and how/when to sit deeper and protect the defense.  If we can get these two areas to click in the coming weeks, we will start winning these type of games regularly. 
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #26: Sep 06, 2016 03:03:28 pm
      Going for 2-1 to us here.

They may sit back a little but they are no bus-parkers so we should have our chances. Grab them (we didn't in earlier gameS) and we will be fine even if we let in one goal.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: Sep 06, 2016 05:33:11 pm
      Think we will win this but can't see us scoring many, so our defence will have to do much better than previously. Doubt if Karius or Can will be back for this one, but hopefully Mane will be fit.

Mignolet

Clyne            Lovren         Matip         Milner

Henderson     Gigi

Mane          Firmino          Coutinho

Sturridge   

1-0 Sturridge     

I like your team assuming Emre isn't fit. If he is I guess it's Wijnaldum to the bench. I've tipped 2-1 in the contest but a win by any scoreline will make my weekend.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #28: Sep 06, 2016 05:40:38 pm
      Like we did last year hopefully we match them up 442 and let our superior players show what they can do.
      Pressing won't be a necessity in this game.

Just need to be wary of the ball over the top for Vardy to chase so Matip and Lovren are going to have to be on their game and our midfielders need to stop Drinkwater finding Vardy.
      Will be go with Moreno to counteract Mahrez and their pace on the counter, not sure but there again Mahrez against Milner does look to good either!

I reckon Kante will be a big loss for them, there again if Can is still not fit that's also a big blow.

Hopefully Sturridge will start this one as he should have something to prove.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Sep 06, 2016 05:41:54 pm
      Massive games so early in the season aren't good for the nerves, but there's a huge lot riding on this. Win it and we'll be 7 points from 4 games. Not great, but considering who we've played it's not a disaster either. Draw it and 5 points from 4 games doesn't look healthy, particularly when one of the games ought to have been a penalty kick win. Lose it and it doesn't even bear thinking about, the start then will look very poor. Seems crazy that one game could have such a huge influence, but it is what it is.

Anything other than a win would leave us IMHO needing to win at Chelsea the week after in order to still have a realistic shot of winning the league**. You can't win the league in September but you can certainly lose any chance you had of winning it, and if we were to fall 7-8 points behind all of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea I think it would be too big an ask.

So "massive" doesn't do this one justice. Fortunately, since Jurgens arrival we've generally done really well in "big" games and I think we'll win this with a bit in hand. Leicester are a good side who will be in the top 8, but we're a better side and it's about time we got some reward for some good play. I take us to win comfortably 4-0 and have us all dreaming again.

**Disclaimer-I'm not "writing off our chances already", I'm just trying to give some context as to how important I believe this game is.

Also important because for the first time since he arrived, a noticeable number of people are setting their face against Klopp for whatever reason (you are not doing that here bigmick, I know). While some people will still complain if we win, and while there is a long season still ahead if we lose, a win Saturday would be good for the mood. I hope the stand dedication won't become a distraction to the players in any way. Besides, what better way to christen the stand than to get a great result on the park?

OH, and watch your line, Mignolet!

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #30: Sep 06, 2016 06:02:00 pm
      Gone for 3:1 in prediction league. Have a good feeling about this. Even though most our players were away on internationals Klopp has had the bones of two weeks to work with Milner, Matip and Moreno. An early goal would be great.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Sep 06, 2016 06:34:23 pm
      I still reckon we'll win, as we did last year, but I don't quite share BigMick's nihilistic view if we lose, it would after all be a loss to last year's champions, it wouldn't be great but not a disaster either. In any case I'm already starting to write off a tilt for the title this year, Citeh in particular look way to strong already, I really thought it would take a bit more time for them to gel, I guess it just proves how crap Pellegrini was for them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #32: Sep 06, 2016 09:57:22 pm
      Scraped past Leicester at home - easily second best to them at their ground.

Be a very tough game for us - a fairly well established title winning side playing against us, first game at Anfield for many of them and the whole new stand thing.

Whenever we seem to have these 'Anfield events' that overshadow the actual game - last day of the Kop, Gerrard's last home game etc we don't seem to have a good record.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #33: Sep 06, 2016 10:15:55 pm
      I know it's early in the season for rotation but I wonder if the Tinker man will have one eye on their midweek CL game...................I'm sure we used to play in that competition but too long ago to remember!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #34: Sep 06, 2016 10:57:29 pm
      Gone for 2-1 in the prediction league. We better win this one. A loss at home this early in the season to an inferior team would be the start of more bad feelings which we don't need.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #35: Sep 07, 2016 01:21:00 am
      First game back at Anfield. Welcoming the Champions. New stand. A mixed bag of results so far.

I dunno. It's one of those games that I can't predict, to be honest. It usually works out in our favour when we don't have any preconceived notions riding into a fixture like this.

Either way, the pressure's on them. They've also had a bit of a ropey start to their defence of the title and just started to hit some form. So long as there's no 'chat sh*t get banged' or 'Jamie Vardy's having a party'. We should be sound.

Football at Anfield can't come back soon enough. Up the reds!

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #36: Sep 07, 2016 05:47:17 am
      first game at home. 

new stand built

54000 fans

if this doesnt get our boys to give their 100%, nothing will
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Sep 07, 2016 10:29:32 am
      Play Sturridge up front Jürgen, give us a chance!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: Sep 07, 2016 10:38:34 am
      Play Sturridge up front Jürgen, give us a chance!

Not sure what's going to happen with Sturridge this season mate, especially if the rumours about the loan deal to Arsenal are true. Hopefully we don't see a similar situation to what happened with Benteke, Danny is to good to waste or lose.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #39: Sep 07, 2016 11:05:24 am
      I think we'll play Sturridge on Saturday. It's just a shame he'll be coming into the game on the back of hardly playing or at least being played out of position. Good strikers thrive on games and goals, it's not easy when you are in and out every week and don't know where you'll be playing.

I think it'll be hard enough getting into the top four this season as it is, without Sturridge either through injuries or because we don't pick him in his correct position I think it'll be impossible. One things for sure IMHO, if we let Leicester pick our team for us the first name on the team sheet would be Bobby Firmino at centre forward.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #40: Sep 07, 2016 11:11:48 am
      This is no disrespect to Leicester and what they achieved last season was truly remarkable but bloody hell its so depressing seeing how sh*t scared some are about playing them, especially at home as well.

Comfortable 2-0 win, I'm expecting nothing less.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #41: Sep 07, 2016 11:30:56 am
      One things for sure IMHO, if we let Leicester pick our team for us the first name on the team sheet would be Bobby Firmino at centre forward.

For sure.

This is no disrespect to Leicester and what they achieved last season was truly remarkable but bloody hell its so depressing seeing how sh*t scared some are about playing them, especially at home as well.

Comfortable 2-0 win, I'm expecting nothing less

Well, if they come to park a bus, then I can see why people are nervous. As breaking down buses isn't our forte.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Sep 07, 2016 11:32:41 am

Agree mate.

Often talk of "dumbing down expectations" by people who criticise being positive about the club, but there's more hesitancy to predict a win at Anfield against Leicester than ever.

We should win this.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #43: Sep 07, 2016 12:18:38 pm

Couldn't agree more.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Sep 07, 2016 12:33:07 pm
      Agree mate.

Often talk of "dumbing down expectations" by people who criticise being positive about the club, but there's more hesitancy to predict a win at Anfield against Leicester than ever.

We should win this.

love your optimism we "should" win this. Leicester are still a good side from what I have seen and we will be open to the counter attack what is needed is an early goal and the whole game changes in our favour.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Sep 07, 2016 12:34:28 pm
      I think we should always expect to win our home games, but I don't expect the easy ride some others do. I think Leicester will a hard side to break down, try to hit us on the break and try to make it a very physical confrontation.

We are the better football team and that should prove enough, just can't see a lot of goals in it... if that doesn't get us scoring 4 or 5 nothing will :) 

Quick Reply