Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO

Read 15578 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Re: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO
      Reply #46: Sep 07, 2016 12:52:03 pm
      I think we should always expect to win our home games

Certainly shouldn't give too many points up at home if you want to win the league.

Win all our home games, beat the bottom 10 home and away.  Lose all the rest.  87 points - title bagged. If only it were that simple.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,605 posts | 3914 
      Reply #47: Sep 07, 2016 12:55:34 pm
      I think we should always expect to win our home games, but I don't expect the easy ride some others do. I think Leicester will a hard side to break down, try to hit us on the break and try to make it a very physical confrontation.

We are the better football team and that should prove enough, just can't see a lot of goals in it... if that doesn't get us scoring 4 or 5 nothing will :)

Would love an early goal. Sturridge on 4 mins.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #48: Sep 07, 2016 02:32:40 pm
      There is no doubt they are considerably weaker after the loss of Kante, but they are still a well drilled defensive team, and we struggle vs defensive counter attacking teams, don't we? And Leicester are/were the masters of it.

Moreno needs to play imo. We need width, a lot of support from our full backs when attacking, and players like Firmino and Sturridge needs to start as they are best when deployed higher up the pitch, in and around the box.

I also think the return of Lucas could be vital. Still our best DM, and more often than not, he feeds balls into attacking players far superior than any of our midfielders, something Wijnaldum and Coutinho would thrive on.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #49: Sep 07, 2016 03:27:01 pm

His pace would definitely be useful against such a counter attacking team. Hopefully we will see an improvement in his play after his spell on the bench if he does play.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Sep 07, 2016 04:35:59 pm
      Kante is an enormous loss for them, personally thought he was clearly their best player and I'd have loved him for us. Keep your Mahrez and Vardy, especially Vardy who is massively over-rated but Kante is exceptional and losing him on top of the passing of the perfect storm will see Leicester fall quite some distance.

It would be better to play them later in the year when European footy will have started to take it's toll on their squad but I still make us strong favourites for this.

Would love to see Emre starting as I think, despite what seems to be a focus on our attack and left back, that the real issue in our side is the terrible balance in the centre of the park. By all accounts Lallana (didn't watch) had a good game for England so it would be a toss up between him and Wijnaldum for that right hand side, personally I'd just edge it to Lallana but we've clearly not seen what we will get from Gini when he's in that position.

Obviously Sturridge is the one that will cause the most debate but one that for me boils down to just how sharp and quick he is looking which despite what some will try to convince you he has looked pedestrian so far with us this season.

Firmino
                      Coutinho     Mane
                Henderson   Can     Lallana
             Moreno   Lovren  Matip   Clyne
                                   Mig

3-1 to us.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #51: Sep 07, 2016 06:09:04 pm
      Really hope Vardy gets his comeuppance this season. Overrated and a racist.

Obviously Sturridge is the one that will cause the most debate but one that for me boils down to just how sharp and quick he is looking which despite what some will try to convince you he has looked pedestrian so far with us this season.

The thing with Sturridge is even if he looks pedestrian, he's still the most likely of anyone to score a goal. So that debate will always rage on.

Regardless, I'm not sure we really need to play a false 9 at home against a counter-attacking team. It worked against Arsenal and Spurs because they try to play on the front foot, but the overall team was less effective at Burnley who camped in after going up a goal early.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #52: Sep 07, 2016 06:51:12 pm
      Really hope Vardy gets his comeuppance this season. Overrated and a racist.

The thing with Sturridge is even if he looks pedestrian, he's still the most likely of anyone to score a goal. So that debate will always rage on.

Regardless, I'm not sure we really need to play a false 9 at home against a counter-attacking team. It worked against Arsenal and Spurs because they try to play on the front foot, but the overall team was less effective at Burnley who camped in after going up a goal early.

I keep hearing this mate but Sturridge was on the pitch and looked our worst player. I totally get that he was out of position but even then he dropped deeper and deeper and was completely ineffectual. It simply wasn't only down to the position he was playing he looked really, really poor.

The obvious defence is that he needs games, but when he's come back from injury before he's hit the ground running and hence why he has the record he does, he hasn't really needed the games to get fit before. Or could it be more that he's only really played when he's been 100%?

Let me ask you, if we're starting Sturridge do we drop Firmino completely? For me and a lot of people doing 'player ratings' he's been our best player this season, certainly up there with Mane who is clearly undroppable as that role is made for him. So would you drop Coutinho? I think most people would say no, personally if we're to start both Sturridge and Firmino we either change formation or it's Lallana/Coutinho that step aside.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #53: Sep 07, 2016 07:15:16 pm
      I'm sure Jürgen will pick the players that he reckons will have the beating of Leicester, at home. Like he said... only his opinion counts - if he doesn't pick Danny and we win... happy F***ing days [and vice versa obviously].

Either way it will be him picking them and not the other way round, as some would have you believe when it comes to Moreno and Hendo.  :laugh:

We will stuff this lot - we need to if we are any way serious in our ambitions.

Why the F**k are people worried or hedging their bets; surely to F**k you have more faith in Jürgen than that?  >:D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #54: Sep 07, 2016 08:18:24 pm
      I keep hearing this mate but Sturridge was on the pitch and looked our worst player. I totally get that he was out of position but even then he dropped deeper and deeper and was completely ineffectual. It simply wasn't only down to the position he was playing he looked really, really poor.

The obvious defence is that he needs games, but when he's come back from injury before he's hit the ground running and hence why he has the record he does, he hasn't really needed the games to get fit before. Or could it be more that he's only really played when he's been 100%?

Let me ask you, if we're starting Sturridge do we drop Firmino completely? For me and a lot of people doing 'player ratings' he's been our best player this season, certainly up there with Mane who is clearly undroppable as that role is made for him. So would you drop Coutinho? I think most people would say no, personally if we're to start both Sturridge and Firmino we either change formation or it's Lallana/Coutinho that step aside.

Well "player ratings" on here.... ;D

But to answer your question, nope, don't need to drop Firmino at all. Drop one of the three CMs and have Firmino as the 10 or just behind the 9. We're the home team here against side that's just going to sit back anyway.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #55: Sep 07, 2016 09:21:21 pm

We don't RM, some are just reaching.

At home, against Leicester, - false 9!

I'd play a half fit Sturridge knowing there is more chance of scoring than somebody like Firmino in that position, who will *buzzword* press, and run about all day.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #56: Sep 07, 2016 10:11:18 pm
      First home game of the season!
      Great new Stand in full view of the world to see!
      Big atmosphere, Full house, Full volume!
      Hairs on the back of your neck standing up!
      Blood Red kit, Jürgen on the line!

3 points would top all that off quite nicely..

:kop5cf8koxp6:

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,282 posts | 235 
      Reply #57: Sep 08, 2016 10:34:46 am
      3 points would be huge, because next game is chelsea away and we can't drop any points at this stage any more or we will be under hug pressure eary in the season.

If Karius is 100% fit i would start him.

Can't wait for game.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,681 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #58: Sep 08, 2016 11:06:00 am
      We need to win this game, it will give us so much confidence. We can do it if we turn up for the game from the first second. We need to be focused from the start.

Come on Reds.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #59: Sep 08, 2016 11:07:54 am
      Press Conference is at 1:30pm UK
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #60: Sep 08, 2016 11:36:06 am

Yeah Mozzie, you're right.

Buzzing in and around the main striker, feeding him and feeding off him has always been his best position and that's not only my opinion btw... do you remember the outcry and who said what when BR played him out of position?

I don't know what has changed to alter people's principles on that but I like to imagine all Firmino's great set up play being finished off, by Danny... just as I did back then.

In my humble the two of them, along with Mane obviously, will terrorise defence after defence - just as Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge did.

F**k knows why people believe it is but it really doesn't have to be an either or scenario.  :-\
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #61: Sep 08, 2016 12:55:41 pm
      The team I'd pick:

Migs
      Clyne - Lovren - Matip - Moreno
      Lucas
      Hendo  --  Wijnaldum
      Mane - Studge - Coutinho

The team I think Klopp will pick:

Migs
      Clyne - Matip - Lovren - Milner
      Hendo - Wijnaldum
      Mane - Lallana - Coutinho
      Firmino

I've no problem if Klopp persists with Firmino as our #9.  We had the right balance and were by far the better team against Spurs with him in that role, and if Coutinho had finished one of his chances we'd have won with relative ease.  I'd like to see Danny start up top, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is 3 points and I trust Klopp will pick the right team to help earn those on Saturday. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #62: Sep 08, 2016 01:04:47 pm
      I've no problem if Klopp persists with Firmino as our #9.  We had the right balance and were by far the better team against Spurs with him in that role, and if Coutinho had finished one of his chances we'd have won with relative ease.

I agree - I think criticism of Firmino has been a little bit over the top so far.

If anyone should be making way for Sturridge in the system it should be Lallana.  Mane's already looking a key player for us and I've got high hopes for Wijnaldum seeing as he is on home territory.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #63: Sep 08, 2016 01:11:09 pm
      I agree - I think criticism of Firmino has been a little bit over the top so far.

If anyone should be making way for Sturridge in the system it should be Lallana.  Mane's already looking a key player for us and I've got high hopes for Wijnaldum seeing as he is on home territory.

My feelings, too.

I think a front four of Danny, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino would be our best bet for success this season.

Ideally Can starts but i guess we continue with Gigi and Hendo.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #64: Sep 08, 2016 01:53:26 pm
      Pretty sure it'll be the exact same starting 11 as Spurs, unless Coutinho is jet lagged and we have Studge in his place.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #65: Sep 08, 2016 02:01:53 pm
      Confirmed Can won't be available for this one - real shame as I think he is a first choice in midfield for Jürgen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #66: Sep 08, 2016 03:11:54 pm
      Confirmed Can won't be available for this one - real shame as I think he is a first choice in midfield for Jürgen.

Season just hasn't got going for him. Disadvantage of playing for a decent international side.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #67: Sep 08, 2016 03:39:35 pm
      I think the Firmino/Sturridge has become very similar to the same debate we had last year with Benteke.

Will Sturridge score more goals than Firmino? Yes

Will the team score more goals with Firmino up top? Maybe

We really need to find a striker with the work rate of Firmino and the finishing of Sturridge, i.e. a Suarez replacement at last
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #68: Sep 08, 2016 04:18:20 pm
      Season just hasn't got going for him. Disadvantage of playing for a decent international side.

desperate to see this lad settle down into a position and get some games in he could make our midfield so much more secure and add a bit of vision too.

Quick Reply