Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO

Read 15586 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Re: Liverpool v Leicester Sat 10/9/16 17.30 KO
      Reply #69: Sep 08, 2016 05:35:46 pm
      Think Sturridge should be in the side to play Leicester on Saturday. Always has the knack of scoring, to leave him side lined may well be a mistake.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #70: Sep 08, 2016 06:00:58 pm
      Assuming Leicester are going to sit deep and try to counter our high line with balls over the top for Vardy, I think I'd leave Sturridge on the bench to start with, then bring him on when we go ahead because Leicester will have to come out, and that will leave space behind them for Sturridge to exploit.

Kante is a big loss for them, and we need our best pressers harassing that position.

3-1
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #71: Sep 08, 2016 08:24:57 pm
      Is that Slimani fit enough to play? He scored about 30 goals in 40 games last year.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #72: Sep 08, 2016 08:26:09 pm
      Is that Slimani fit enough to play? He scored about 30 goals in 40 games last year.

Ranieri said he is good to go.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #73: Sep 08, 2016 08:36:26 pm
      Went for 3-1 to us in the prediction, but think might be closer. Hard to know. Too much time to think between games :)  Don't see this as an easy game by any means though. Would love to see Danny play, but not sure Klopp feels he's 'ready' to start.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #74: Sep 08, 2016 10:28:35 pm
      I have gone for a 3-2 win but no idea why other than we look like scoring goals again but we will concede .
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #75: Sep 08, 2016 11:06:10 pm
      Mignolet

Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Milner

Lallana
      Henderson (c)
      Wijnaldum

Mane
      Firmino
      Coutinho

Subs: Manninger; Moreno; Lucas, Stewart; Sturridge, Origi, Ings.

2-1 to us. YNWA.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #76: Sep 09, 2016 12:12:07 am
      Let's admit it, Firminho is no striker, he's too inconsistent to be one and we missed the opportunity to buy a proper striker, DM and LB. It's been said many times over here. Instead of buying players of these positions we continue to crowd our midfield with little success so far. It's gonna be a long hard season ahead. Klopp has to stop making substitution in the last 5 minutes. It is meaningless. He must start replacing player or players in the 1/2 hour mark to send a signal to the players that he mean business. Otherwise, players will continue to stroll and not make any real effort knowing that they will continue to be on the pitch till the last 5 minutes of the game, lasting almost the whole game. So, it makes no difference.

Many would have noticed, the effects have taken place, too many goals leaked on the left side, don't blame Milner he's no left back, too many attack coming through the middle, we have no DM to counter that and we don't score enough goals as we don't have a proper striker. The signs are all there and it did not happen by coincidence and it appears that we have lost focus of the big picture and procrastinated on important acquisition of players and wasted too much time on trivial issues. Spent too much time on moving in potential players and  moving out players as we bought a busload over the years. Very frustrated to the point of demoralisation.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2016 12:31:34 am by redkop63 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #77: Sep 09, 2016 01:03:57 am
      I have gone for a 3-2 win but no idea why other than we look like scoring goals again but we will concede .

Slimani, if he starts, will score I reckon. Think we will need our Arsenal shooting boots on to get the points.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #78: Sep 09, 2016 07:38:30 am
      Would have studge upfront for this with lallana, couts and mane behind.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #79: Sep 09, 2016 09:00:00 am
      Would have Damny up top for me , we have struggled against teams sitting back , with chances at a premium we need a dead eye dick in front of goal ,
      Despite what people are saying Danny is still the best finisher of a chance imo.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #80: Sep 09, 2016 09:49:45 am
      I think we are going to see:

Mignolet

Clyne     Matip    Lovren    Milner

Henderson        Wijnaldum
                               Lallana
      Mane             Firmino           Coutinho

I would like to see:

Karius
      Clyne      Matip      Lovren     Milner
                       Henderson
      Mane          Firmino             Coutinho
                Sturridge      Origi         

I started to type that out with Coutinho in the hole behind the strikers as I think everyone agrees that's where he plays best but then who would play out left? We are wide open down the left at times, especially with Milner playing left back and cutting inside.

So much attention was put onto left-back during the summer I think left wing was completely overlooked as a problem area. That's not to say Coutinho can't play there but he is wasted out there.

Moreno anyone?  :roll:

Anyway as for the game I think Anfield will be well up for it, the players should be well up for it. I'm going with 3-1 to Liverpool and a miserable as F**k Sturridge to come off the bench and grab the 3rd.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #81: Sep 09, 2016 09:58:04 am

Mignolet

Lallana

I would like to see:

Karius
                       Henderson
                Sturridge      Origi         

I started to type that out with Coutinho in the hole behind the strikers as I think everyone agrees that's where he plays best but then who would play out left? We are wide open down the left at times, especially with Milner playing left back and cutting inside.

So much attention was put onto left-back during the summer I think left wing was completely overlooked as a problem area. That's not to say Coutinho can't play there but he is wasted out there.

Anyway as for the game I think Anfield will be well up for it, the players should be well up for it. I'm going with 3-1 to Liverpool and a miserable as f**k Sturridge to come off the bench and grab the 3rd.

Maybe Lallana could play left midfield and Coutinho as attacking midfield in your formation ?

I seem to remember when he first arrived Lallana played there a few times, not very well but.... :)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #82: Sep 09, 2016 11:07:57 am

Mignolet

Lallana

I would like to see:

Karius
                       Henderson
                Sturridge      Origi         

Anyway as for the game I think Anfield will be well up for it, the players should be well up for it. I'm going with 3-1 to Liverpool and a miserable as f**k Sturridge to come off the bench and grab the 3rd.

I like the formation (2nd one) but I'm not sure on Henderson as a lone defensive midfielder. He likes to come forward with the ball too much, lacks the ability to control the game. Trouble is I'm unsure who you could put there in his place. Can is the same, Lucas lacks the pace. Maybe Grujic? It exposes the problem we have in not singing a defensive minded midfielder in the Summer.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #83: Sep 09, 2016 11:29:16 am
      I like the formation (2nd one) but I'm not sure on Henderson as a lone defensive midfielder. He likes to come forward with the ball too much, lacks the ability to control the game. Trouble is I'm unsure who you could put there in his place. Can is the same, Lucas lacks the pace. Maybe Grujic? It exposes the problem we have in not singing a defensive minded midfielder in the Summer.

Yeah I thought that after I wrote it. It would rely on Firmino tucking into the centre mid as well but that wouldn't really link up the strikers.

It again comes down to having too many attacking midfielders and not enough in defensive roles as you say. Playing a lone defensive midfielder relys on having someone like Kante who will just run himself into the ground making challenges, we don't have anyone like that, meaning we're reliant on playing two centre mids in deeper roles.

In doing so I think you would have to drop Firmino to get Sturridge in the team but Firmino is always going to in the starting line up which leaves Sturridge on the bench unless Klopp adopts a 2 striker system which he hasn't so far.

There is some real unbalance in the squad!

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #84: Sep 09, 2016 11:50:31 am
      Had a dream, wasn't positive.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #85: Sep 09, 2016 11:55:34 am
      If we go with Sturridge for this I can see us grabbing the points.

Go with Firmino as a striker and I'm a bit worried.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #86: Sep 09, 2016 12:07:34 pm
      Finally Premier League football again! I hate it when there is a break for international games, I tend to get a bit disillusioned with football so I'm glad to see it back.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #87: Sep 09, 2016 01:31:55 pm
      If we go with Sturridge for this I can see us grabbing the points.

Go with Firmino as a striker and I'm a bit worried.

saved me a post..but while im here if it was me id go all out on our first home game of the season, the new stand etc..party atmosphere add to it by going all out attack..3-4-3

Mignolet

Lovern  Matip  Klavan

Clyne  Henderson Coutinho Moreno

Mane   Sturridge  Firmino

7-4 get in happy days

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #88: Sep 09, 2016 02:29:16 pm
      The players are confident. Home game at Anfield. Should be a walk in the park. Who's Leicester? We are Liverpool. Same attitude as going into the Burnley match. We should easily score two goals and walk all over them. The players will take it easy. No problem. Three points already in their head before the ball is kicked.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #89: Sep 09, 2016 02:33:40 pm
      Even with the special arrangements for travel, I wonder if Klopp might opt to start with Coutinho on the bench. Anyone things so?

Also, Grujic should have a spot on the bench for this, I saw some teams with Origi, Sturridge and Ings all on the bench and no Marko - doubt it.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #90: Sep 09, 2016 07:00:15 pm
      saved me a post..but while im here if it was me id go all out on our first home game of the season, the new stand etc..party atmosphere add to it by going all out attack..3-4-3

Mignolet

Lovern  Matip  Klavan

Clyne  Henderson Coutinho Moreno

Mane   Sturridge  Firmino

7-4 get in happy days

Interesting post, mate.

The old 3 at the back scenario with wing backs - I'm no Jürgen Klopp (or even a Mike Bassett) but to me that's the solution to the LB problem and, partially at least, the DM problem.  Maybe that was your thinking, too?

We've got the CBs to do it, I think, and it will utilise Moreno's strengths while minimising the damage caused by his weaknesses.

Very out of fashion as a formation, but all it takes to change fashion is someone to succeed doing something different.

Didn't BR try it with Can as a CB (which he never was of course)? But when Can comes back as a CM it could work.

I'm old enough to remember the similar formation Bobby Robson (bless him) used at Italia 90, which allowed him to unleash the combined attacking/midfield talents of Lineker, Barnes, Beardsley, Waddle and Platt while making England hard to break down (except from the penalty spot, but I digress...)!
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #91: Sep 09, 2016 08:24:14 pm
      Until Sturridge plays 9 and Coutinho 10 we will never be playing our best team.

Quick Reply