Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

93% of LFC fans unsatisfied with left back

Read 5920 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      93% of LFC fans unsatisfied with left back
      Sep 09, 2016 02:20:49 pm
      Only 7% of LFC fans are happy with the left back position (BBC)

BBC have had some team selector app running and allowed fans to select whether or not they were happy with the team choices.

Apparently of all the positions, at all the Premier League clubs, Liverpool's left back position gave the 'least satisfaction'.

The highest approval rating for any position at any club was the 98.5% who expressed satisfaction with the goalkeeping strength at Manchester United.

A number of positions at other clubs came close, for instance 96% of Manchester City fans were happy with the left midfield position. At Watford, 97.3% of fans were happy with the left-hand side of the three centre-backs in their 3-5-2 formation. No other outfield position was rated so highly.

But what of the other end? While many positions were in the 40% range and a few lower still, one stood out.

Liverpool fans expressed concerns over a few positions, including goalkeeper, but nothing came close to their concern over left-back. Only 7% of fans felt the squad was adequate in that position, to put the figure into context it was almost four times lower than any other position at any other club.

The left-back stat is the one which jumps out, only 7% of fans happy with the choices in that position.

However, approval ratings were also low for keeper (62%), second centre-back (67%), and one of the central midfield positions (66%). Only a number 10 type position did particularly well, with 92% approval.

Full article is here
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37317980
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Re: 93% of LFC fans unsatisfied with left back
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2016 03:00:28 pm
      Some will have you believe not signing a left back and Milner as left back is all part of Klopps masterplan.

Even if he somehow goes back to Moreno as #1 choice. We still lack competition in that area.

Our left side is our weakness. Every 2 bit mediocre manager can see it a mile away. Our left midfielder is right footed and our left back is right footed.

Generally we are lacking left footed players in our squad. But hey, what do i know....
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2016 03:02:58 pm
      I've said many times what my feelings are, but I must confess to be getting a bit bored going on about it now. It is what it is, we've just got to hope Jürgen can coach some good performances out of Moreno/Milner/someone else.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2016 03:03:44 pm
      Some will have you believe not signing a left back and Milner as left back is all part of Klopps masterplan.

Well it's is because Klopp is carrying out his master plan by not signing a LB & playing Milly there! ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2016 03:16:32 pm
      I've said many times what my feelings are, but I must confess to be getting a bit bored going on about it now. It is what it is, we've just got to hope Jürgen can coach some good performances out of Moreno/Milner/someone else.

Maybe time to check out Jürgen's teeth mate :D

I am still more concerned about our midfields lack of defensive capability than I am of any problems we have at Left back.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2016 03:17:49 pm
      Funny this coming from the BBC, where the highest rating player was from Utd, and goes on to analyse our LB position.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2016 03:20:02 pm
      It's hardly surprising but now the window is closed, all we can do now is get behind the team and hope it doesn't bite us in the arse.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2016 03:31:27 pm
      Maybe time to check out Jürgen's teeth mate :D

I am still more concerned about our midfields lack of defensive capability than I am of any problems we have at Left back.

Totally agree with this mate. I do feel the discussions about Firmino/Sturridge and the LB situation (which this is JK he does clearly have a plan) have distracted from possibly our biggest issue.

It's certainly true what you said about our midfielders exacerbating the problem at LB. When I think of how many times a player such as Lucas mops up and nullifies attacks in the fullback areas we just don't have that protection or even close in the side right now.

In terms of what Jürgen's plan is at LB, I wonder if he might want to ease Gomez in through that channel.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2016 05:35:05 pm
      most of his crimes are committed by simple bad decisions, lunging in when he should stand up and being in the wrong position for an opposition counter attack, just think if he can get that part of his game sorted?

So he needs to stop making bad decisions, stop lunging in to tackles and stop being out of position to be a good player.

Seems like he hasn't got the basics to be playing top level football, mate.

He had a terrific first month at the club. Painful to watch since. The one decision i'll never understand from Jürgen this season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2016 05:47:16 pm
      So he needs to stop making bad decisions, stop lunging in to tackles and stop being out of position to be a good player.

Seems like he hasn't got the basics to be playing top level football, mate.

He had a terrific first month at the club. Painful to watch since. The one decision i'll never understand from Jürgen this season.

I remember his first game he fu**ed up in that to. He has everything to succeed in his position  except a brain.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #10: Sep 09, 2016 06:06:42 pm
      I'm always the ultimate fan of 'sign no one is better than sign a bad one' but never expect to see such a weak, even almost non existent of competition at left/right back this season.

Lucky enough, before I'm die exploding my brains blood-vessels by too worrying about this I just figured out maybe I'm too old and the world - football too has change alot isn't it better I wait and see how Klopp and his staffs take care of it, not take thing too serious : god Buddha said. 

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Sep 09, 2016 06:47:34 pm
      Our left back fiasco has taken all limelight from how weak we are at right back.

Injury to clyne and were square pegs into round holes.

Lots of reds worried about a defensive midfielder and that's fair enough but if your back 4 to a man is solid you don't need a defensive midfielder or certainly not a priority anyway
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,280 posts | 763 
      Reply #12: Sep 09, 2016 07:27:32 pm
      The defence in general has been a problem obviously for far too long, conceding far too many goals, costing points and possibly the chance of winning a trophy.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: Sep 09, 2016 08:26:08 pm
      Ahh this old chestnut again! Like Mick i've bored myself going on about it for the last month. Nobody understands it, nobody really agrees with it. Some have had a pop at Jürgen about it, the beliebers have had a pop at the none beliebers for having a pop at Jürgen about it.

It's happened and we now have to live with it. Here's to Milner bossing Mahrez all over Anfield tomorrow evening and the red men taking home all 3 points  :ernaehrung004:
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #14: Sep 09, 2016 08:30:25 pm
      Interesting little experiment that. I'd be curious to know what each voter gave the team as a whole in terms of preparedness and how that compared to the sum of their individual preferences.

Often I've read a post on here and thought it didn't seem to tally with the poster's opinions  of individual players, especially those who may be key to the team.

Perhaps any difference is a function of the individual's rating of the manager (the "Klopp gap"), but also our tendency to be irrational and, at times, talk sh*t.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #15: Sep 09, 2016 08:42:54 pm
      Interesting little experiment that. I'd be curious to know what each voter gave the team as a whole in terms of preparedness and how that compared to the sum of their individual preferences.

Often I've read a post on here and thought it didn't seem to tally with the poster's opinions  of individual players, especially those who may be key to the team.

Perhaps any difference is a function of the individual's rating of the manager (the "Klopp gap"), but also our tendency to be irrational and, at times, talk sh*t.

Good way of looking at it. 

Yep - we're all exceptionally good at finding the faults in all the individuals and then praising our abilities for the 'team' to get results.

Subconsciously I think the difference probably stems from a combination of faith in the manager, belief in the importance of the fans support and probably just the fact that 'we are Liverpool'.  I would imagine most of us think those things have some 'added value' to the team's results.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: Sep 09, 2016 09:22:29 pm
      Good way of looking at it. 

Yep - we're all exceptionally good at finding the faults in all the individuals and then praising our abilities for the 'team' to get results.

Subconsciously I think the difference probably stems from a combination of faith in the manager, belief in the importance of the fans support and probably just the fact that 'we are Liverpool'.  I would imagine most of us think those things have some 'added value' to the team's results.

Yeah, I am also hoping that working their balls off and the "whole team philosophy" will make up for most of our shortcomings.

I think most would be shocked if they saw what my ratings for each individual player in our squad is... then again maybe not :)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #17: Sep 09, 2016 11:04:32 pm
      Well said. I've been saying it myself. We saw Chelsea buy a LB name escapes me is it Alonso, but I'm sure if Klopp thought he was good enough or fit our team he would have put a bid in. In all my time supporting this great club iv never trusted a manager as much. Let's see what happens😊

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #18: Sep 10, 2016 02:39:17 am
      We have 4 potential Holding midfielders. Can, Matip, Lucas, Kevin Stewart

We have 1 left footed left back, and 0 left footed left wingers (other than Ojo). i'd def say our lack of width on the left and a right footed CM as our left back makes out left side a big problem.

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #19: Sep 10, 2016 04:28:15 am
      We have 4 potential Holding midfielders. Can, Matip, Lucas, Kevin Stewart

We have 1 left footed left back, and 0 left footed left wingers (other than Ojo). i'd def say our lack of width on the left and a right footed CM as our left back makes out left side a big problem.
      Thanks for pointing this out for the 1000th time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #20: Sep 10, 2016 02:39:41 pm
      This the "knock me down with a feather" thread?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Sep 10, 2016 02:43:43 pm
      Who are the 7%, and whats wrong with them?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #22: Sep 12, 2016 09:47:12 pm
      I have to agree, i'm not overjoyed with the left back dilemma, but neither am I as hacked off as some on here seem.  We done ok against the arse and the spuds with what we've got, and I'm sure all the goals conceded against them two and Burnley, weren't all down to left back inadequacies. Then to follow that up with a display that kept quiet, and pretty well under control, one of the fastest, if not the fastest strikers in the prem, and his extremely talented  colleague. Vardy and Mahrez.
      Alls not as bleak as some crow on about, and I'm sure if it really was as dire as suggested, Klopp would surely have done something about it.
       Get a decent, consistent  keeper behind them and I'm sure things will improve somewhat.
      I personally think it's a combination of Moreno getting caught out of position on occasions, because he's bombed on down the wing as instructed, and some one else loses possession and drops him in the sh*t.
      Conceding is often a collective thing, not always the full backs fault.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #23: Sep 12, 2016 09:58:26 pm
      If we continue with a back four we will need a LB, otherwise the balance is off.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #24: Sep 12, 2016 10:05:02 pm
      Who are the 7%, and whats wrong with them?

Moreno his mum his dad and his uncle ,,,,,,,,
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Sep 13, 2016 02:51:15 am
      Well he's getting a new contract according to Paul Joyce.

Clearly for financial protection but funny nonetheless.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Sep 13, 2016 03:12:03 am
      He's under contract for another 3 years, I don't see how it's necessary or how he's worthy of a new deal. He's been dog sh*t for 2 years straight (except for a month or so).
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #27: Sep 13, 2016 04:22:44 am
      Funny this coming from the BBC, where the highest rating player was from Utd, and goes on to analyse our LB position.

to be fair,  if we had de gea, i think 98.5 % of our fans would be satisfied as well.  the guy is a fantastic keeper!

and i also have voiced my concern regarding the LB position before.  i get why klopp doesnt want to overpay but sometimes you gotta look at the other angle, what will it cost if you cheap out now and on field performances suffer

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #28: Sep 13, 2016 05:36:26 am
      i get why klopp doesnt want to overpay but sometimes you gotta look at the other angle, what will it cost if you cheap out now and on field performances suffer

it's not "cheaping out" if you don't buy a player you don't want to buy..

what will it cost if we overpay for some average player and isn't the difference between Champions League and Europa League? what if he actually isn't the magical difference between 4th and 5th?

there is no guarantee whatsoever that the likes of Digne or Hector would have improved our chances of getting top 4. they could have died the day after signing. we have to stop living in fantasy land and start living in reality in order to progress.

the difference we would see in our season whether we had Hector, Digne, Chillwell, Moreno, Milner, Cissokho at LB is far far far less than we have heard too much about.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29: Sep 13, 2016 08:11:52 am
      Digne went to barca, chilwell and hector got new contracts. I am pretty convinced Jürgen knows fully well the need for a lb but as said before there isn't a queue around the door of quality lb's around. Better to wait for one you like before you buy instead of just jumping in.people moan when we spend seemingly too much for someone and then moan when we don't sign someone cos our valuation doesn't match ours. We have wasted far too much dough over the last 20 years or so.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: Sep 14, 2016 06:53:07 pm
      Digne went to barca, chilwell and hector got new contracts. I am pretty convinced Jürgen knows fully well the need for a lb but as said before there isn't a queue around the door of quality lb's around. Better to wait for one you like before you buy instead of just jumping in.people moan when we spend seemingly too much for someone and then moan when we don't sign someone cos our valuation doesn't match ours. We have wasted far too much dough over the last 20 years or so.

Think about what you're suggesting here. In all the leagues, across the entire world, there isn't a single Left Back better than Moreno? We're not talking about buying a world class Left Back who'd walk straight into Barcelona's side, just a left back with a modicum of talent and a brain. Are we supposed to believe there is there really no one out there that matches that? I don't think so.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: Sep 14, 2016 09:24:05 pm
      People love Moreno. Don't you remember how well he played against Sevilla? He played the most important key pass in the game! Sevilla fans must have gave him MOTM. As for us... he was signed by the man who is professional at identifying fantastic talent with character that can't kick a ball. A man that doesn't feeling embarrassed when losing 7-0.

Quick Reply