Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Pre Match : Chelsea v Liverpool FC : Friday 16th Sept : 8.00pm

Read 17990 times
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Re: Pre Match : Chelsea v Liverpool FC : Friday 16th Sept : 8.00pm
      Reply #23: Sep 13, 2016 07:47:03 pm
      Going to be some interesting selection problems for Jürgen for this game with Karius, Lovren, Klaven(if Lovren is not fit), Can and Coutinho all pressing for inclusion.

Mignolet

Clyne          Lovren         Matip       Milner

Henderson   Coutinho   Can     

Mane          Sturridge       Firmino   

Don't think Jürgen will see things quite the same way though :D   

Going for a low scoring draw in this game. We rarely play well twice on the trot and Chelsea while still a little over-rated aren't as poor as they were.   

I'd loved to see this starring XI, no way Lallana is getting dropped though at the minute.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Sep 13, 2016 07:59:14 pm
                  Karius
      Clyne  Lovren  Matip  Milner
              Can Henderson     
         Mane Coutinho Firmino
                Sturridge

Karius in for Migs, Can in for Giji.
      Would go with Sturridge up front, needs more game time, and even if not putting chances away his movement and passing was good vs. Leicester and created chances for others. And he deserves a chance in a big fixture.
      Tough choice though, cause if Cou comes back in, Lallana looses out even though his form has been very good.

Feeling confident enough given our recent form. 3-2 to us :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25: Sep 13, 2016 08:04:26 pm
      I'd loved to see this starring XI, no way Lallana is getting dropped though at the minute.

Yeah, but it was the only way I could keep Sturridge and bring in Coutinho. I think Coutinho AND Lallana in midfield would be too lightweight so something had to give! 

I agree it's highly doubtful that Klopp would rest Lallana, but maybe he needs a rest after running so far against Leicester :)
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #26: Sep 13, 2016 08:55:41 pm
                              Migs
      Clyne     Lovren     Matip    Milner
                             Hendo
               Lallana            Coutinho
                     Mane        Firmino
                             Sturridge
      I think coutinho playing from deeper in midfield would suit him better in this formation than as a left forward.
      2-1 to us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Sep 13, 2016 09:48:01 pm
      gutted Terry isn't playing but then again if he doesn't go to the ground his team mates are going to be wondering were the F**k he is. I really want to win this one
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #28: Sep 13, 2016 09:49:29 pm
      Yeah, but it was the only way I could keep Sturridge and bring in Coutinho. I think Coutinho AND Lallana in midfield would be too lightweight so something had to give! 

I agree it's highly doubtful that Klopp would rest Lallana, but maybe he needs a rest after running so far against Leicester :)

Could possibly happen,  Klopp proper loves lallana but maybe he will rest him.

Hopefully, I'd like to see sturridge, mane, Phil and Bob line up together. That'd be frightening pace and passing
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #29: Sep 13, 2016 09:51:37 pm

He's a young lad. 5am is when you get back from your Friday night out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Sep 13, 2016 09:59:57 pm
      I think Matip will relish putting Costa in his pocket he is big but he is also immensely strong. I think Migs is still number one as far as Jürgen is concerned and he did have a decent enough game on Saturday.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,135 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Sep 13, 2016 10:04:12 pm
      Really feel taking it to them is the way to go. They'll expect firmino up front so go with sturridge.

Run them for an hour bag 1 or 2 get can or Lucas on tighten it up and play them on the break
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #32: Sep 13, 2016 10:49:13 pm
      A lot of people seem upset about the day/time of this one, but I'm excited about it.... I've already got my excuse to cut out of work early and hit the pub!!  The wife will be at work, girls at daycare, and I'll be having a few of my favorite bevvies while watching our lads rip Chelsea to pieces!!!  :)

I'd bring Lovren in for Lucas, but leave the rest alone.  We were lethal in attack last week, so let that same group do their thing again.  I'm going for a 3-1 win. 
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #33: Sep 14, 2016 08:35:30 am
      What is this rubbish about resting players.

Its a massive F***ing game against one of the title favourites.

Play the same team that spanked Leicester with the exception of Lovren for Lucas.

You could make an argument for Can for Winaldum to beef it up a bit but otherwise you stick to what you have.

Coutinho / Origi they wait simple as. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #34: Sep 14, 2016 08:48:03 am
      5am.

This Friday night footy needs to piss off. Sh*t time-slot for everyone except Europe. I wanna sleep in on Saturday, not get up earlier.

There is only burglars and coppers out at 5am John,the kick off is 7am in NZ so that is a respectable time for me to enjoy watching us thrash Chelsea.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #35: Sep 14, 2016 08:52:28 am
      Did not realise that this was a Friday night fixture tbh. I would settle for a draw knowing our up and down form.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: Sep 14, 2016 09:03:14 am
      I think we'll go back to the false 9 (I wouldn't do it myself but I think we will). I think Lovren will be back in (I would do that) and that'll be the only changes. I think rather than wait until the inevitable Migs howler I'd stick the new goalie in now, if he's genuinely good enough what's the point in waiting, but I don't think we will.

Contrary to many I think it'll be tough to get a result, but I think we will. 2-2 draw. (Costa and Lovren sent off).   
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Sep 14, 2016 10:20:18 am
      This is the fixture I look forward to least each season.

But I do think we can come away with 3 points here, we've done it before and we'll F***ing do it again.  They'll park the bus against us, even at home, and wait patiently for us to make a mistake or nick a goal from a set piece perhaps.  If they score the first goal they will shut up shop and it will be difficult to get back into the game then.

If we score the first goal though, they have no other choice than to come at us which will just play into our hands, leaving space for us to counter.

I'd make two changes, Lovren in for Lucas and Can in for Wijnaldum.  I thought Lucas was superb on Saturday despite his blunder but I'd bring in Dejan (if he can see) for his aerial presence.  Wijnaldum has got off to a poor start for us in my opinion and we can't afford any passengers in this game. Take him out for this one and bring Emre in.

Mignolet

Clyne   Matip     Lovren   Milner

Hendo  Can

Mane       Lallana     Firmino

Sturridge

I hope Jürgen keeps Danny in rather than playing Firmino up top and bringing Coutinho in on the left. I love Coutinho but we played really well on Saturday so lets leave things how they are. I'd like to see coutinho in a central role but he might be a bit too weak for this game playing there.

I'm very interested to see how Henderson performs. I've slaughtered Henderson left right and centre, especially since he has taken the armband, but on Saturday he really impressed me and it was his first real captain-like performance I've seen from him. I hope he takes that into this game now.

Come on redmen we can do these. Be brave, be confident and just play football. If we win we will be in a very very healthy position indeed considering our opening fixtures. Come on lads!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Sep 14, 2016 10:28:01 am
      Firmino will tear them apart. 3-1 win.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: Sep 14, 2016 11:01:44 am
      Chelsea while still a little over-rated aren't as poor as they were.
      No s@int they aren't but with Conte being 'a new ('foreign') manager, in a new league, with new players'? Surely, if any of those excuses are still valid, then they are there for the taking?  :confused-smiley-013:

I reckon we will do them... both on Friday and in finishing league position.  >:D

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2016 12:15:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #40: Sep 14, 2016 11:37:24 am
      A first that I can remember with a league game on a Friday evening for the mighty red men. Not an easy one for the travelling Kop getting in and out of central London.
      The money men certainly have no consideration for the fans!

A ground where until recently we have not had a huge amount of success however this season I'm not fearing any team home or away - The Klopp effect.

Will be interesting does Klopp go back to his favoured false number nine with Firmino up top which we have utilised very successfully against the big guns or stick with the team that dismantled the Champions.

On performance no one deserves to be dropped form the game on Saturday.

I have a feeling we will see the following :

Migs
      Clyne
      Matip
      Lovren
      Milner

Hendo
      Gini
      Lallana

Mane
      Coutinho
      Firmino.

With Studge or Origi replacing Coutinho/ Firmino at some point depending on how the game is going.

Seem to remember the last time this happened there was a book written about the game, it was the end of season title match against the gunners at Anfield :f_wah:

I think we'll squeeze this one 2-1 (I'm stuck in hospital for a week so no Alcohol for this one :f_wah:) so If we lose I'll need a double dose of anti-depressants!

Why anyone would change a winning team is beyond me, barring injury or suspension stick with a winning formula!
      COYR
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #41: Sep 14, 2016 11:55:49 am
      This will be a very tough game.
      I would say, if we can keep Hazard quiet, then we have a great chance of winning.
      Our attack has goals in them, so the front 4 can remain unchanged...biggest threat for me will be central midfield,so i hope Henderson and Can/Gini can do a job there.

Going for a hard fought 1-2 win to the Reds.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #42: Sep 14, 2016 01:02:42 pm
      Our confidence is sky high. They're no longer the Chelsea of previous years. Even finished lower than us last year. But that's the fear. That overconfident players think it's going to be a walk in the park and take them lightly. We'll then return to Burnley all over again. Our greatest enemy is ourselves.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,005 posts | 521 
      Reply #43: Sep 14, 2016 01:23:38 pm
      I'd stick with the same team as last game, except for Lovren in for Lucas. I haven't really seen enough of Chelsea this season to know how they are playing, but certainly with Italy Conte had them playing a lot of long balls, with all their midfield bar one pushing up to win the second ball ( I suspect thats the main reason he's brought back Luiz - so he can be the one playing the long passes forward).

So our CB's are likely to be tested in the air more than so far this season - hence Lovren.

If they do play a lot of long balls, then we may be able to get at them if Hendo, Wijnaldum etc can be first to the second ball and get us breaking quickly in numbers. I was surprised the gap Conte had between front and back for Italy - there was a lot of space to attack there if you could make it past their initial high press.

Anyway that is all based on Italy not Chelsea, so I may well be off the mark. I'd still bring Lovren in though.

I don't really buy the idea that we are going to be overconfident going into this one. It's going to be a tough game. Should be a good one though, and will probably give us our best test of where we are so far this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #44: Sep 14, 2016 01:26:47 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,249 posts | 6364 
      Reply #45: Sep 14, 2016 01:48:32 pm
      What the hell is  going on with a  Friday game??

I'm likely going to miss this now.  :mad: :mad:

Think we need to field the same team until someone shows us they don't deserve to be in there (although I would probably put Lovren in for Lucas).

Must have 3 points. We need to make up ground early and get some momentum going.

Quick Reply