Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Derby County V Liverpool FC Tuesday 20th Sept: 7.45pm

Read 11949 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Pre Match: Derby County V Liverpool FC Tuesday 20th Sept: 7.45pm
      Sep 18, 2016 12:08:28 pm

The Reds qualified for the third round with second round victory at Burton Albion on Tuesday night, cruising through to the next stage with a 5-0 victory against the Championship side.

Liverpool and Derby last faced each other in the 2007/08 season before the Rams were relegated from the Premier League; Liverpool won 6-0 at Anfield and 2-1 at Pride Park – thanks to goals from Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Derby is managed by Nigel Pearson, who was appointed this summer, and have former Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson and former academy winger Tom Ince among their ranks.

Karius
      Clyne       Klavan      Lovren      Moreno
                           Lucas
                 Stewart      Grujic
      Ings                                Coutinho
                           Origi
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Pre Match: Derby County V Liverpool FC Tuesday 20th Sept: 7.45pm
      Reply #1: Sep 18, 2016 12:16:18 pm
      Boom!

Boom!

Bring on the Rams.

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2: Sep 18, 2016 01:08:55 pm
      Very nearly started a topic on this, Clint beat me to it! :P

Back on our travels again this week in the EFL Cup, our 6th away game out of the last 7. I've stated previously in the EFL Cup thread that this competition is one one that a lot of clubs will be taking seriously and I expect we will be no exception, the starting XI v Burton suggests as much. While Derby are struggling in the Championship at the moment, they will be looking to take a scalp here, we've fallen for this trap many times before, so while we have every right to go into this with a lot of confidence, professionalism is needed moreso than caution.

As I said Derby are in trouble in the Championship, after missing out on promotion through the play offs last season they have been very slow to start this season, 1 win and 3 draws in 8 games, with just two league goals scored in those 8 games (a further two goals in the League Cup so far). They are not completely falling apart at the back, conceding 7 in those 8 games including 2 against Newcastle and Barnsley (two teams very much expected to go up).  Nigel Pearson came in thsi summer expected to be the man to help them make the next step and get promotion to the Premier League, and whilst that hasn't started off very well I find it tough to believe that a team that came within a whisker of promotion just a few months ago are relegation candidates!? They will kick off again, we just have to make sure it's not against us.

They were quite expansive and free flowing in a 4-3-3 last season, however Pearson has tried to bring in solidity using a standard 4-4-2 mostly, his only variants being a 4-1-4-1 (a win against Preston) and a 4-4-1-1 (a loss against Burton, and a draw against Villa). Personally I expect him to use a 4-1-4-1 against us, to try and cut out the space for our midfield three to pull the strings.

They have been relatively consistent in their back 5, however he hasn't completely settled on his LB, Olsson and Forsyth are both similarly experienced, Olsson with a season in the Premier League with Blackburn though. It will be a big call for Pearson with either one of the potentially charged with keeping Mane under wraps.

For that exact reason I expect them to use a holding mid fielder, Hughes has been used there this season and I would expect him to take up that role here. The rough diamond of Derby for the past few years, and still only 21. He missed 6 months last season due to injury and it looks like he's being brought back in a more reserved role. Before the injury I would have expected him to be in attack, creating and running. It will be interesting to see if he has the vision to influence the game from a deep role. The remaining two central midfielders pick themselves, both Butterfield and Bryson have been regular starters for Pearson although neither seem to be influencing the game too much from what I can see. Out wide I expect Anya to start again, he has recently been introduced to the side and his goal against Bristol yesterday will stand to him. On the right I expect to see Tom Ince, one of the "One's that got away". I was gutted when we let him go, but that decision is looking shrewd as he hasn't kicked on the way I expected him to. I'm sure he'll feel like he has a point to prove, and I believe the talent is there, may be one to watch. 12 goals last season and 11 the season before show that when Derby are up and running he is a threat!

I find it tough to see who will start up top for Derby. Whilst Darren Bent has featured in every league game for them, he has only started twice. Pearson preferring to start with two up top but not with any consistency. I'm not sure if any of Camara, Wilson, Blackman or Vydra can play as a lone striker, so as far as I can see Bent would be the option. His Premier League experience has to be an asset for him too. Although his goal return has been dreadful since 2010! Pearson has to make the call and decide if they are more interested in keeping us out, or getting goals themselves.

As for the mighty reds (not that F***ing bird!) I do expect Jürgen to make changes here. Not so much in terms of resting anyone, but moreso to give others the opportunity to prove themselves. Like I said earlier though I don't expect a team of kids, I expect a similar strength team to the one we took to Burton.

I see this being the game that Karius gets the nod in. He didn't buy the lad to sit on the bench, Karius himself has told us that. The injury was unfortunate, and without Mignolet making a huge F**k up you can't just drop him on the spot and expect everything to be rosey. A solid game from Karius here and he stays in the team for what is a nice run of games coming up to bed him in.

I don't expect any changes to the back four. We don't exactly have many options at RB so Clyne is in, I see no reason why Lovren and Matip need a break, another game only helps develop their relationship, as well as start one with Karius. And whilst I wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno start I think at home to Hull is a better situation for him than another away and possibly against a tricky player in Ince. Milner, slots in so nicely with our midfield play and is defensively sound, I see no reason to change that.

I see a few changes in the midfield for us. I think Can has been held off for a game like this, and whilst I don't see him getting the 90 mins, I think he'll get at least 45 mins. We seem much better at managing players injuries as of late and I think Can was technically "fit" for Chelsea, but the intensity of that game would have been taking a risk with him. Grujic himself has said that this season is about learning and next season is when he shows what he can do. A game like this is perfect for that learning curve, if Derby go with that 5 in midfield it will be tight for room to play, the small bit we've seen of Grujic has shown that he has the intelligence and the feet to work in that situation. I would also play Wijnaldum in there with them, he has improved with every game and there's no need to halt that progression. I like the way Wijnaldum and Grujic (in the bit we have seen) arrive late in the box, and in a game like this where I imagine we will have them pinned back quite a bit, that could be a defining factor.

Up top, I think Origi needs games to get that sharpness back and against Keogh and Shackell you have to back him to have an impact. I think the same can be said of Coutinho, and if he can keep his head and limit the pot shots he will get time and space against these. If Firmino couldn't make the bench against Chelsea then I can't see him featuring here unless absolutely necessary. I would play Mane on the right again, there are footballing reasons but mainly because I just love watching the lad! :D That and the fact they they will feel the need to double up on him if they're not sure on their LB, which should create plenty of space for everyone to use to our advantage.

Whilst I am aware that no game can be taken for granted, the bare facts are there, our form against theirs, our style against theirs, our lads against theirs. We are more than capable of beating these and I will be disappointed with anything less. Play our football and they can't deal with it... who can!? I see no goal threat from them either, so we need to start picking up clean sheets! I am going for 3-0 to the reds, Origi, Wijnaldum and Coutinho.

Come On You Reds, the way we're playing in London I fancy a trip to Wembley!   :scarf:

EDIT: Had Mignolet in my team graphic, old habits die hard :roll:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Sep 18, 2016 01:22:28 pm
      Are Randall and Brannagan fit?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #4: Sep 18, 2016 02:42:08 pm
      I'm so overconfident. We will beat them comfortably. It will be a walk in the park, even without training.  :action-smiley-035:  :rasp:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #5: Sep 18, 2016 02:48:59 pm
      I'm sure we won't slip on the old banana skin in this one. Current form for both sides has had me changing my prediction from 3-0 to 4-0 and i'm confidently sticking with it.
      They may be championship but they will test us to start by parking the bus. Be good to see how we overcome that.  C.O.Y.M.REDS.   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Sep 18, 2016 03:00:37 pm
      Very nearly started a topic on this, Clint beat me to it! :P

Sorry mate, you had stunning post.

I think you are playing too strong team. I'm not saying that I do not want this cup, far from it but if you check my team, I gave some fringe players some playing time and maybe they will give Klopp bigger headache next Saturday. I combined some XI with fringe/unfit players. I won't play Can because he needs to rest his ankle.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #7: Sep 18, 2016 03:40:52 pm
      Ings, Grujic and Origi should start this one ... hopefully Ings bangs one in to help his confidence.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Sep 18, 2016 03:42:47 pm

I'd rather see Trent Alexander Arnold given the spot at right back on Tuesday and I'd be surprised if he wasn't.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #9: Sep 18, 2016 03:52:05 pm
      Sorry mate, you had stunning post.

I think you are playing too strong team. I'm not saying that I do not want this cup, far from it but if you check my team, I gave some fringe players some playing time and maybe they will give Klopp bigger headache next Saturday. I combined some XI with fringe/unfit players. I won't play Can because he needs to rest his ankle.

We won't fall out over it mate! ;)

Completely understand where you're coming from, but I think this is why Klopp was so keen to cull the squad in the summer. I don't think he has much interest in entertaining players he doesn't want, of those that are still here I think that is the likes of Markovic and Illori, and all the signs say Sakho too.

I think Klopp learned a tough lesson against Southampton last season when he brought Skrtel on for the sake of getting him minutes and we imploded. The previous round against Burton was a perfect chance to give lads a chance but Jürgen played a very strong side. We don't have many games this season, so I don't see any reason for us not to play our strongest XI as often as possible.

I do expect fringe players to feature, the likes of Ejaria, Ings, Brannagan, Stewart etc., but I imagine they'll get minutes off the bench.

I understand what you mean about Can, like I say we seem to be managing injuries better lately, so if he isn't ready then so be it. It will be wort the wait.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #10: Sep 18, 2016 03:52:19 pm
      I'd like to see a strong team to keep the momentum going.

We need Silver ware, no matter what competition it is, we need to win this without a struggle.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #11: Sep 18, 2016 04:23:55 pm
      I'd rather see Trent Alexander Arnold given the spot at right back on Tuesday and I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

I too mate.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #12: Sep 18, 2016 04:40:25 pm
      Think I will go for a 3  1 victory for the Reds. Have a habit of gifting the opposition with a goal. But still a comfortable victory for Klopps' men.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Sep 18, 2016 04:54:50 pm

He's looked really good for the under-23's this season. They play on Monday night, if he doesn't start for them then expect Trent to be involved on Tuesday. IF he does play for the under-23's tomorrow then I doubt he will be involved on Tuesday.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #14: Sep 18, 2016 05:01:51 pm

He could play right wing, couldn't he?

Karius

Randall   Lucas   Klavan   Moreno

Stewart

Brannagan   Grujic

Alexander-Arnold                   Ejaria?

Origi

Could have Ings on the left, too.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Sep 18, 2016 05:11:03 pm

Karius

Stewart

Brannagan   Grujic

Origi

He's played there before, a few times in fact, for what was the under-21's.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #16: Sep 18, 2016 08:58:25 pm
      I think it's quite possible we could see Ejaria at some stage in this if not from the off , even giving a few of the fringe players a run out we should have enough in the tank to give these a seeing to .
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Sep 18, 2016 09:09:01 pm
      My first away game this season and it's only half an hour away from me, buzzing already  :kop5cf8koxp6: after Friday, I think were all on a bit of a high  8)
      Jürgen played a very strong side against Burton in the last round, will he do the same again? or play a few first teamers and a few fringe players? Be interesting to see how serious he is about this competition, looking forward to a night of goals galore, a few bevvies and a short trip home....makes a nice change  :laugh:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Sep 18, 2016 09:36:39 pm
      Lack of Europe I think dictates a strong line up and so it should. My sentimental side wants to see Ingsy starting though.

Enjoy love. ;)

Yeah, I agree with you hun,  I just wanna see another good win, I'm liking the winning habit  :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Sep 18, 2016 09:45:44 pm
      I think a lot of our squad need a game so I would like to see most of them start against Derby

Karius

Clyne         Klaven       Sakho       Morino

Grujic     Can   Stewart

Ojo  Origi  Ings     

Doubt Jürgen will be as radical with his changes as I have been but hopefully we will see some of them start anyway.

Expecting a 2 or 3 goal win against these as the red army marches on. 

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Sep 18, 2016 09:55:39 pm
      I think a lot of our squad need a game so I would like to see most of them start against Derby

Karius

Clyne         Klaven       Sakho       Morino

Grujic     Can   Stewart

Ojo  Origi  Ings     

Doubt Jürgen will be as radical with his changes as I have been but hopefully we will see some of them start anyway.

Expecting a 2 or 3 goal win against these as the red army marches on. 

Agreed with the fact that many of our squad players or returning players need game time. For that reason I think Karius, Can, Grujic and Stewart are pretty nailed on to start. I also think we'll take these quite comfortably but always the classic 'don't underestimate them' hangs over the tie.

Karius
      Alexander-Arnold Lucas Klavan Moreno
                      Grujic  Can Stewart
                    Lallana  Ings  Firmino

3-0 to us.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Sep 18, 2016 09:58:15 pm
      Irrespective of team selection we have to play to win this match.It is important that we progress in this cup and the F.A.Cup when that comes around.Keep up the good work Jürgen, a winning team makes for a happy club and happy supporters. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #22: Sep 18, 2016 10:24:45 pm
      Agreed with the fact that many of our squad players or returning players need game time. For that reason I think Karius, Can, Grujic and Stewart are pretty nailed on to start. I also think we'll take these quite comfortably but always the classic 'don't underestimate them' hangs over the tie.

Karius
      Alexander-Arnold Lucas Klavan Moreno
                      Grujic  Can Stewart
                    Lallana  Ings  Firmino

3-0 to us.

I think if Lallana plays he'll play in midfield, I can't see Jürgen playing him in midfield on friday, in the front three on tuesday and asking him to go back into midfield again on Saturday. He has been working very hard to make that position his own, I don't see the benefit of taking him out of there especially with the players available in that position.

I think barring an injury crisis,we have seen the last of Lallana in a front three for a while.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23: Sep 18, 2016 10:26:45 pm

Karius

Stewart

Brannagan   Grujic

Origi

Much rather see him at right back. In all honesty I think Randall is so so far from the player required to play in Klopp's desired team and not really an option for the future.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24: Sep 18, 2016 10:33:37 pm
      We'll get a few clues to what the team may look like tomorrow night when the under-23's play.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Sep 18, 2016 10:36:35 pm
      I think if Lallana plays he'll play in midfield, I can't see Jürgen playing him in midfield on friday, in the front three on tuesday and asking him to go back into midfield again on Saturday. He has been working very hard to make that position his own, I don't see the benefit of taking him out of there especially with the players available in that position.

I think barring an injury crisis,we have seen the last of Lallana in a front three for a while.

Understand your point mate and considered when I put him in but I just think we need some seniority and in form players in there. I don't think playing wide forward for one game would be in anyway disruptive to his current form against a side such as Derby.

Personally I'd like to see Ejaria get minutes and perhaps Ojo but at that point it becomes a point more about wanting to see the youth players than prioritising getting a result and I don't think we can take it so lightly that a defeat becomes a real possibility. With those 3 up front I think we'd comfortably win and changes could be made early enough.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Sep 18, 2016 11:25:27 pm
      Anyone know if this is on tv? 

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Sep 19, 2016 12:04:14 am
      Understand your point mate and considered when I put him in but I just think we need some seniority and in form players in there. I don't think playing wide forward for one game would be in anyway disruptive to his current form against a side such as Derby.

Personally I'd like to see Ejaria get minutes and perhaps Ojo but at that point it becomes a point more about wanting to see the youth players than prioritising getting a result and I don't think we can take it so lightly that a defeat becomes a real possibility. With those 3 up front I think we'd comfortably win and changes could be made early enough.

Think Sakho is so far gone he won't get a chance mate, or just that Lucas is a better option?

Or both :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Sep 19, 2016 12:07:19 am
      Think Sakho is so far gone he won't get a chance mate, or just that Lucas is a better option?

Or both :)

Yep I think Sakho is basically only there for extreme emergencies. Rather than completely put him out in the cold Jürgen will remember the times we were at the bare bones back there last season so if such an injury crisis mounts up then Mama may get an appearance (I think he's burned his last chance) or two.

Plus Lucas has always been someone who needs a few games to get the old milk float purring again so it would be money in the bank in that respect.

As for who is better, I'd find it a tough call. I think they're both very good indeed, Lucas has surprised me just how well he's adapted to it and I've always thought Mama is a very good player.
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #29: Sep 19, 2016 02:25:17 am
      Karius
      Clyne Matip Lucas Moreno
      Grujic Can(if fit if not stewart) Henderson
      Ings Origi Coutinho
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Sep 19, 2016 07:50:52 am
                       Karius

Clyne    Matip    Sakho      Moreno

Can Grujic  Ejaria

Ings    Origi    Coutinho

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #31: Sep 19, 2016 08:29:26 am
      Anyone know if this is on tv? 

No its not Deb's, I've already checked as im stuck in hospital and bored.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: Sep 19, 2016 08:53:57 am
      What have you been up to Steve,I hope the result  on Tuesday night helps with your recovery.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Sep 19, 2016 09:26:22 am
      No its not Deb's, I've already checked as im stuck in hospital and bored.

Shocking Steve, looks like it'll be a shitty stream instead then.

How's the recovery going mate?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Sep 19, 2016 10:14:31 am

We were on TV in the last round, the chances of us being on TV again were very slim.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Sep 19, 2016 10:22:30 am
      We were on TV in the last round, the chances of us being on TV again were very slim.

True mate.  Can't believe the u23s game isn't on either.  Wtf am I supposed to do for the next 2 nights   :mad:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #36: Sep 19, 2016 10:52:34 am
      Firmino, Gini and Sturridge missing from yesterdays training pics and Can not expected to be ready either.

Can see Karius starting but I'd like to see both Matip and Lovren play to get more acquainted with each others game and we might get to see Grujic get some minutes too.

Origi or Ings or both to get some game time too.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #37: Sep 19, 2016 10:52:47 am
      True mate.  Can't believe the u23s game isn't on either.  Wtf am I supposed to do for the next 2 nights   :mad:

I'm surprised the u23's isn't on either. They're on TV for the 4 games following though...

Sunderland(H), Wolfsburg(H), Man United(A), Everton(H). The Wolfsburg game is the International Cup.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Sep 19, 2016 10:55:39 am
      I'm surprised the u23's isn't on either. They're on TV for the 4 games following though...

Sunderland(H), Wolfsburg(H), Man United(A), Everton(H). The Wolfsburg game is the International Cup.

Don't think it ever is on when we play Spurs mate but the cameras are there as they've got a 15 minute highlights shortcut on tomorrow.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #39: Sep 19, 2016 11:53:00 am

Hopefully been released today but 3 months in plaster before physio and a bulit up shoe !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #40: Sep 19, 2016 12:15:46 pm
      For Australia, and <ahem> others

beIN Sports 1 Australia, beIN Sports Connect Australia
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Sep 19, 2016 12:22:49 pm

Confirmed that's on 5am kick off.....yay.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Sep 19, 2016 12:33:48 pm
      Hopefully been released today but 3 months in plaster before physio and a bulit up shoe !

It'll be worth it if you're pain free after though Steve. 
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #43: Sep 19, 2016 12:36:11 pm
      It'll be worth it if you're pain free after though Steve. 

Thanks Debs.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #44: Sep 19, 2016 12:49:17 pm

Talk to the husband?

Na F**k that I bet your thinking!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #45: Sep 19, 2016 01:12:39 pm
      cant understand why people want us to keep going with our best 11? We need to give fringe lads game time plus we need our best 11 fit and fresh for important games. Not sure id be too happy about beating Derby but maybe losing Matip or Coutinho or sturridge to an injury that might rule them out of say the utd game.

We should have enough about us in our squad to be beating Derby. Id like to see Karius debut. Plus time for Ings Gruij and 1 of the kids
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #46: Sep 19, 2016 01:19:12 pm
      Can see maybe 5 changes from Chelsea game

Migs, Cout, Studge, Mane, Matip / Lovren

But lets get in , smash 3 before half time, and get the flock out
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #47: Sep 19, 2016 01:26:41 pm
      Keep Mignolet and the back four in. We need to work on our defending and this fixture might give us that bit of practice. Matip and Lovren need to build on their partnership. Clyne & Milner both have phenomenal engines and won't be affected by a midweek game.

I'd like to see Grujic get some minutes and I think the three of Lallana, Hendo and Wijnaldum have all earned the night off after the shift they put in on Friday night. I like Origi but I really hope Jürgen goes with Ings instead. 

I'd go with:

Mignolet

Clyne   Matip   Lovren  Milner

Lucas
              Stewart     Grujic
      Mane                          Coutinho

Ings

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #48: Sep 19, 2016 02:22:18 pm

Forgot beIN did the Cup. Lovely!

Confirmed that's on 5am kick off.....yay.

Don't mind it on a weekday. Can wake up, see Liverpool win and go to work/uni and have a great rest of the day :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Sep 19, 2016 02:24:42 pm
      Talk to the husband?

Na F**k that I bet your thinking!

Haha that would be OK but he's on lates this week mate  ;D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #50: Sep 19, 2016 03:47:12 pm
      Its a tough one because i'm sure there's  a few on the fringes at the moment who want a run out, and i'm sure Klopp would like to give a few of his starting players a rest too.

However, I wouldn't change the full XI for this one, we have Hull at weekend which shouldn't be too physically demanding considering we will dominate the ball.

It is a big game for the us this one so i'd hate to crash out of this because we changed an entire team. Derby will probably have us if we do, do that because they are an okay side themselves and will be fighting for promotion I reckon again this season.

With no Europe there's no reason we shouldn't be doing everything we can to try and win this. It's been well to long for the club without a trophy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #51: Sep 19, 2016 03:56:15 pm

Kodi beIN sports 11 and 7 in the UK.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2016 05:01:44 pm by HScRed1 »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #52: Sep 19, 2016 04:32:45 pm
      Probably a good opportunity for some rotation but not too much. Bring in the likes of Origi, Moreno, Klavan (if fit), etc. Pretty confident we'll win this if we play like we have been.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #53: Sep 19, 2016 05:00:18 pm
      I vote for more changes, not fewer. Three matches in eight days is still not optimal for top-flight players. Sometimes you have to do it, but this is not one of those times. Plus as Brian and others have mentioned, some of these squad players really need a game.

First LFC game in maybe more than a year that I haven't been able to watch live, or at least in full. Hopefully the official site puts the full match on afterward, but not sure about that.

Back in the 90s it was the old Internet Relay Chat (IRC) with someone in UK typing "commentary" in while Reds from around the world would stare at their computer screens breathlessly. :-) Seriously young-uns, we used to do that.

I do think there is live radio commentary on the official site, correct?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #54: Sep 19, 2016 06:00:49 pm

I do think there is live radio commentary on the official site, correct?

I know there's commentary on 5 Live of the game.

Jürgen has said he's putting out a strong side  ;D
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #55: Sep 19, 2016 06:25:15 pm

Back in the 90s it was the old Internet Relay Chat (IRC) with someone in UK typing "commentary" in while Reds from around the world would stare at their computer screens breathlessly. :-) Seriously young-uns, we used to do that.

:lmao:
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #56: Sep 19, 2016 06:30:22 pm
      A few players missing for Derby tomorrow;

Derby injury concerns

Derby defender Jason Shackell and forward Johnny Russell will not regain fitness in time to feature against Liverpool in the EFL Cup. Both players missed Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Bristol City due to calf injuries and it is hoped they will be back in contention when Blackburn visit the iPro Stadium at the weekend. Rams boss Nigel Pearson will also be without Ikechi Anya and Matej Vydra, who are cup-tied, while striker James Wilson is a doubt. Wilson, on loan from Manchester United, sustained a knock on the knee against Bristol City which forced him off after an hour at Ashton Gate.

I imagine Alex Pearce will replace Shackell at CB, and I would hazard a guess that Andreas Weimann could feature on the LW instead of Anya. Missing Russell, Vydra and Wilson leaves Pearson with a choice of Bent, Camara and Blackman up top.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Sep 19, 2016 07:37:46 pm

Reminds me of following the Ashes ball by ball on Ceefax in the 80s when we played them in Australia.

And no I don't expect you to understand Rob   ;D
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #58: Sep 19, 2016 07:49:18 pm
      The U23 starting line up v Spurs tonight (currently 4-0 up)

Bench: Garcia, Firth, Phillips, Lennon, Brewitt

Can't see Stewart, Brannagan or Alexander-Arnold featuring tomorrow, but Lucas, Ings and Ejaria noticeable omissions.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #59: Sep 19, 2016 07:52:36 pm
      Surely a strong side against Derby, tomorrow night. Do not want to be defeated by a lower division club, at any stage of the competition.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Sep 19, 2016 08:00:29 pm
      The U23 starting line up v Spurs tonight (currently 4-0 up)

Bench: Garcia, Firth, Phillips, Lennon, Brewitt

Can't see Stewart, Brannagan or Alexander-Arnold featuring tomorrow, but Lucas, Ings and Ejaria noticeable omissions.

And Randall mate.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #61: Sep 19, 2016 08:03:54 pm

You're right, my mistake!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Sep 19, 2016 08:10:25 pm

No mistake mate, he's not the most memorable of players even if he's the steady Eddie type  ;D
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #63: Sep 19, 2016 08:19:02 pm
      No mistake mate, he's not the most memorable of players even if he's the steady Eddie type  ;D

Nothing wrong with a steady Eddie... just ask Moreno! :P
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #64: Sep 19, 2016 08:29:52 pm
      How far away is Karius from playing for us? Did Klopp mention something?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #65: Sep 19, 2016 08:30:13 pm
      Nothing wrong with a steady Eddie... just ask Moreno! :P

Steady Eddies are fine but maybe not in a Jürgen Klopp team  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #66: Sep 19, 2016 08:35:10 pm
      Good to see some of the contenders getting a run out tomorrow night.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #67: Sep 19, 2016 08:42:17 pm
      Steady Eddies are fine but maybe not in a Jürgen Klopp team  ;D

Don't know what you mean Debs? :f_whistle:

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #68: Sep 19, 2016 09:50:42 pm
      With Ings and Ejaria omitted from the U23's I would expect them both to get a starting spot.

Wijnaldum looked out on his feet at the end of the match against the Chavs so Possibly Grujic may see some action tomorrow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #69: Sep 19, 2016 10:22:09 pm
      What's happening with Emre?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Sep 19, 2016 10:40:35 pm

He's back in training.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #71: Sep 19, 2016 11:01:59 pm

Thanks, but it is blacked out over here.

I think the better translation of Jürgen's "strong side" remarks is that he feels any XI out of this squad should be considered a strong side. We don't have to wait much longer, thankfully.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #72: Sep 19, 2016 11:04:49 pm
      Reminds me of following the Ashes ball by ball on Ceefax in the 80s when we played them in Australia.

And no I don't expect you to understand Rob   ;D

ON all of my trips to UK, for the first couple of days I would wake up at about midnight, just wide awake. My two viewing choices on some of these trips were the Ashes from Australia (over the holidays) or porn. My Presbyterianism won out and I went with the cricket, so actually I DO understand what you mean, my dear. :-)

Not saying I understand cricket,mind. Every time I think I have the rules down, something happens and I am left wondering why....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #73: Sep 19, 2016 11:10:41 pm
      Thanks, but it is blacked out over here.

I think the better translation of Jürgen's "strong side" remarks is that he feels any XI out of this squad should be considered a strong side. We don't have to wait much longer, thankfully.

Sorry Robby, I didn't realise you were in the USA  ;)

Yep, I'd agree with you on that one, we have a superb first team with lots of players knocking on Jürgen's door  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Sep 19, 2016 11:19:45 pm
      ON all of my trips to UK, for the first couple of days I would wake up at about midnight, just wide awake. My two viewing choices on some of these trips were the Ashes from Australia (over the holidays) or porn. My Presbyterianism won out and I went with the cricket, so actually I DO understand what you mean, my dear. :-)

Not saying I understand cricket,mind. Every time I think I have the rules down, something happens and I am left wondering why....

Good to hear you've got some morals mate but cricket is much easier to follow than American footy.  Not that it stopped me being a Red Skins fan in the early days it was on tv over here.  Never hear of them these days.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #75: Sep 19, 2016 11:44:42 pm

Will give that a try rather than a shitty stream. 5 Live with Alan Green - back to the good old days of Olympiakos and battering Man Utd 4-1 amongst others! There's also been some bad ones mind - never forget the incredulity in Alan Green's voice when Traore drag backed that ball over our own goal line in the FA Cup Zidane style. Hopefully they'll be none of that tomorrow night!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #76: Sep 20, 2016 01:57:46 am
      How far away is Karius from playing for us? Did Klopp mention something?

Loris Karius to make Liverpool debut against Derby County, confirms Klopp
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/09/loris-karius-make-liverpool-debut-derby-county-confirms-klopp/

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #77: Sep 20, 2016 02:36:36 am
      Team for tomorrow will likely be as follows:

Karius
      Randall Lucas Klavan Moreno
              Grujic Can Hendo
              Ings Origi Firmino
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #78: Sep 20, 2016 04:54:00 am

Karius
              Grujic Can Hendo
              Ings Origi Firmino

I can dig it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #79: Sep 20, 2016 12:18:45 pm
      Is this the first time we've played Derby since they were last in the league in 07/08?
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #80: Sep 20, 2016 01:18:53 pm

Karius
              Grujic Can Hendo
              Ings Origi Firmino

He wont make that many changes

Karius , Moreno and Grujic yes
      Klavan / Can not match ready
      Will be Origi or Ings, not both
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #81: Sep 20, 2016 02:34:25 pm
      I really don't see the point in fielding a weakened team for unless it's to give some fringe first teamers a game i.e Grujic, Origi, Ings and obviously Karius is going to get the nod.

We don't have an european competition to worry about so we should be selecting our strongest team in the cups. You'd expect we could rest a few against Derby and still control the game but there's no need to make 8 or 9 changes.

I predict a starting line up of:

Karius
      Clyne     Matip    Lovren      Moreno
            Henderson    Grujic
                     Coutinho
      Mane        Firmino       Origi

I suspect Lallana may get a rest in this one, possibly putting Coutinho back in as a CAM. It's a toss up between Sturridge and Firmino to get the nod up front for me and give Origi a start.

I don't think Ings will start, I guess he will come off the bench though.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #82: Sep 20, 2016 03:03:48 pm
      He wont make that many changes

Karius , Moreno and Grujic yes
      Klavan / Can not match ready
      Will be Origi or Ings, not both

I wondered about Can too, but it looks from here like he will be in the team: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-can-fit-ready-make-11909109

I guess the center-back argument is providing more time for Matip-Lovren partnership vs. needed match time for Klavan and Lucas. I don't think either are a weak, center-back pairing.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #83: Sep 20, 2016 04:47:04 pm
      Looking forward to this tonight, all ready for the off and quite excited for my first away game this season, just want to see a performance of passion and high pressing, don't think Jürgen will have it any other way.

Enjoy the game everyone, as long as we're in that hat for the next round  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Go Go REDS !!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #84: Sep 20, 2016 05:26:34 pm
      Looking forward to this tonight, all ready for the off and quite excited for my first away game this season, just want to see a performance of passion and high pressing, don't think Jürgen will have it any other way.

Enjoy the game everyone, as long as we're in that hat for the next round  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Go Go REDS !!!

Enjoy yourself Cas See you sat it your about .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #85: Sep 20, 2016 06:09:12 pm

Go Go REDS !!!

Hope you have a great time and cheer us on to a comfortable win.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/778211176857628672
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #86: Sep 20, 2016 06:43:00 pm
      Hope you have a great time and cheer us on to a comfortable win.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/778211176857628672

Awwwww Xabi the King
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #87: Sep 20, 2016 06:46:16 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #88: Sep 20, 2016 06:51:15 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #89: Sep 20, 2016 06:52:02 pm

So he did both - got some players in who haven't been on for a bit, and put out a strong lineup.

In a perfect world I suspect the subs he'd like to bring on are Can, Ejaria and Ings. I think he was going to put Ings on at Burton Albion until Can got hurt and he needed to sub in Stewart.

Let's score a few goals tonight, keep alive hopes for this trophy, and add some match fitness for the squad. Enjoy the game everyone.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #90: Sep 20, 2016 06:52:28 pm
      sh*t ...have to be on a stream today ,only 4 sat channels   showing the game and not one is in my range

just continue with this form lads
      Come on reds
      YNWA
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #91: Sep 20, 2016 06:53:25 pm
      That is a strong side!

Come on you Reds....I want to get Man Utd in the next round
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #92: Sep 20, 2016 06:54:14 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #93: Sep 20, 2016 06:54:57 pm
      Yeah I'm feeling the team
      Put out...

5-1 to the red juggernaut....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #94: Sep 20, 2016 07:11:07 pm
      That is a strong Line up.

Would be good to see Ings get a run out at some stage.

Let's see if Moreno has learnt anything from the sidelines!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #95: Sep 20, 2016 07:17:43 pm

Quick Reply