Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre Match: Liverpool FC V Hull City Saturday 24th Sept: 3:00pm

Read 11184 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool FC V Hull City Saturday 24th Sept: 3:00pm
      Reply #69: Sep 23, 2016 07:32:06 pm
      I predicted 5-2 for this game. I expect Firmino, Mane, Coutinho and Origi to have a great game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #70: Sep 23, 2016 07:37:59 pm
      I predicted 5-2 for this game. I expect Firmino, Mane, Coutinho and Origi to have a great game.

Lallana must be coming back in but I'm not sure which one of them goes out. 

Nice to have a bit of competition from the bench for a change.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #71: Sep 23, 2016 07:45:46 pm
      I do actually feel for Migs a little bit as he has been much imroved this season but that is the nature of football and if he works hard then he has every chance of knocking on the door again, but hopefully Karius will make that role his own now.

It's always difficult not to feel sorry for someone, particularly a goalkeeper, who loses their place in the team because unlike any other position on the field, it's so difficult to regain that position.

But as others are saying, he's had three years and has failed to convince in that period. The difference between a quality goalkeeper and an average one is absolutely massive. We saw what happened when Reina came in 2005 when he replaced Dudek (a better keeper than Migs in my opinion). Our improvement at the back was sensational.

I can think of at least three games last season where Mignolet's errors cost Liverpool control of the match and crucial points with it. We were leading 1-0 at West Brom - Mignolet makes an error for Craig Dawson to equalise. We draw the match 2-2. We were leading 2-0 against Sunderland and Mignolet's error against Adam Johnson, (two days before he admits to being a paedophile in court) allows Sunderland back in the match. We draw 2-2. Similarly against Newcastle in April, Mignolet completely misses a cross for Cisse to head in comfortably to get Newcastle back in a game. We draw 2-2.

At least 6 points dropped that stemmed from Mignolet mistakes, 6 points that would have put us right up there with the two Manchester clubs in contention for the CL places.

Even the greatest keepers will make mistakes here and there but the best will always win more points than lose them. Saddens me to say that Mignolet cost us more points than he won us last year.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #72: Sep 23, 2016 08:41:32 pm
      But as others are saying, he's had three years and has failed to convince in that period. The difference between a quality goalkeeper and an average one is absolutely massive. We saw what happened when Reina came in 2005 when he replaced Dudek (a better keeper than Migs in my opinion). Our improvement at the back was sensational.

Yep.  Three and a bit years and I think the majority of fans are still not entirely comfortable with him.  It's going to be interesting to see how long the two of them both stay at the club to compete against each other and whether that competition proves positive. 

If Karius does get the nod then you just couldn't see Mignolet being happy to sit on the bench for long?

I can't remember the last time a first choice keeper was sort of replaced while still here - Reina got loaned out ahead of the season that Migs replaced him.

Anyone remember a similar situation at LFC?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #73: Sep 23, 2016 08:53:44 pm
      Yep.  Three and a bit years and I think the majority of fans are still not entirely comfortable with him.  It's going to be interesting to see how long the two of them both stay at the club to compete against each other and whether that competition proves positive. 

If Karius does get the nod then you just couldn't see Mignolet being happy to sit on the bench for long?

I can't remember the last time a first choice keeper was sort of replaced while still here - Reina got loaned out ahead of the season that Migs replaced him.

Anyone remember a similar situation at LFC?

David James and Brad Friedle ?  Dudek was forced to stay when Reina came...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #74: Sep 23, 2016 09:02:48 pm
      Dudek was forced to stay when Reina came...

Yeah true that.  Didn't Reina have to wait for Dudek to get injured or something and then that was him settled.

More recent than I thought then.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #75: Sep 23, 2016 09:07:47 pm
      Yeah true that.  Didn't Reina have to wait for Dudek to get injured or something and then that was him settled.

Not sure now mate... my memories not as good as it once was, but I thought Reina came straight in ?

Just checked and Reina came straight in
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #76: Sep 23, 2016 09:20:16 pm

For this season at least I don't see that being a problem. I reckon Migs would get games anyway and there'd be decent competition.

Being part of an exciting project is also reason to stay, as is the fact that you've been so sh*te on that many occasions that the alternative might be playing as number one at a club like Swansea, which you might not quite fancy over the challenge of fighting for your place under Klopp.

Longer term, who knows...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #77: Sep 23, 2016 09:21:22 pm

Certain that Reina came in straight away. Didn't he make his competitive debut against TNS? I remember our first match of the Premier League season being Middlesbrough away and he was definitely in there.

Edit: Confirmed by saint!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: Sep 23, 2016 09:35:33 pm
      Migs has had his chances.

Yes He has improved but not enough.

We all know its going to happen sooner or later .  Shall I post a video of the Klangers ?

We dropped 18 /21 points last season due to his goalkeeping .

We cant let that happen again.   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #79: Sep 23, 2016 09:37:58 pm

I think that might be an exaggeration.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #80: Sep 23, 2016 09:44:06 pm
      Migs has had his chances.

Yes He has improved but not enough.

We all know its going to happen sooner or later .  Shall I post a video of the Klangers ?

We cant let that happen again.   

But that would have made us champions or thereabouts MIRO. Surely you don't believe that we were one good goalkeeper away from the title??
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #81: Sep 23, 2016 09:56:33 pm
      He cost us at least a CL spot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/23/simon-mignolet-could-cost-liverpool-a-champions-league-spot/

Those 8 pts would have been enough for Top 4 last season.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #82: Sep 23, 2016 10:21:57 pm
      The starting 11
      KARIUS
      CLYNE
      MATIP
      LOVREN
      MILNER
      WIGNALDUM
      LALLANA
      HENDERSON
      MANE
      FIRMINO
      Coutiinho
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #83: Sep 23, 2016 10:59:18 pm
      Sorry update.
      KARIUS
      CLYNE
      MATIP
      KLAVEN
      MILNER
      HENDERSON
      WIGNALDUM
      LALLANA
      MANE
      FIRMINO
      COUTINHO
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #84: Sep 23, 2016 11:34:17 pm
      Sorry update.
      KARIUS
      CLYNE
      MATIP
      KLAVEN
      MILNER
      HENDERSON
      WIGNALDUM
      LALLANA
      MANE
      FIRMINO
      COUTINHO

Strong team obviously..... but I'm not fully convinced on Klavan, from admittedly few occasions I have seen him but he seems a bit weak in the air, maybe I need to see a few more games from him.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #85: Sep 24, 2016 12:01:55 am
      No idea the best place for this so mods do correct.

https://twitter.com/dfimpressionist/status/779028496895119361
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #86: Sep 24, 2016 02:50:13 am
      Team just as I would have predicted with the exception of Klavan for Lovren.

Wonder what's up with Dejan this time around?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #87: Sep 24, 2016 06:55:35 am
      Not sure why a few seem to be anticipating such a difficult game. I think we should and will win this game quite comfortably. Burnley was a while ago now and hopefully an exception.

Would have preferred Sturridge to start, but I don't think we will miss him too much. I think if we approach this game properly this will be a walk in the park win against a team of "triers." 

Going for a clean sheet and a modest 2-0 win Gigi and Couts getting the goals.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2016 08:51:02 am by s@int »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #88: Sep 24, 2016 06:57:53 am
      Klopp: We need to be angry against Hull
      “We need to be angry v Hull,” said Klopp. “They want our points. We have to think about why people think we have problems against bus-parking. I don’t know why people think we have problems with this? I didn’t see too much space against Chelsea [last Friday].

“It will be difficult. But if we accept before that it is difficult then we can perform and that is what we should do. We have to go to Anfield on Saturday afternoon in the most positive mood we have ever been in. I know we will ready.”

Klopp remains undecided over who will be in goal. Simon Mignolet had started every match this season up to Tuesday’s 3-0 EFL Cup victory at Derby County, when the summer signing Loris Karius started. The £4.7m arrival from Mainz played in pre-season until he broke a hand and was sidelined.

Karius was relatively untroubled at Derby but did impress with his sweeping abilities having regularly taken a starting position just outside the penalty area. “It is not the place to announce line-ups but of course we have to think about it, but in a positive way,” said Klopp on Thursday. “I was never a goalkeeper – my father was so I am a little bit experienced with goalkeepers – but it is obviously a little bit different to an outfield player as no one asks whether he can start this day and another player can start the next.

“I am not sure I will make a final decision for the next game but it doesn’t mean we will go like this for the next five years.”

He added: “It is a decision at a very high level because I am really happy with both of them, but there is nothing to say about this here. Like always, when I decide for the next game then it is a decision for a player and not against another player – you will have to wait and see.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/Jürgen-klopp-calls-on-liverpool-to-be-angry-against-hull-city

Migs/Karius...

“I am not sure I will make a final decision for the next game but it doesn’t mean we will go like this for the next five years.”

Hmm.

There is a big difference in thinking between our manager and other managers (or people in general).

Unfortunately, we (most of us) look at glass half-empty while he looks at it glass half-full. You can look at a problem in a positive or negative manner. He is thinking of positive reasons to select Karius while we are looking at negative reasons for dropping Mignolet. Same problem but different outlook.

What an attitude. Love it.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #89: Sep 24, 2016 08:47:06 am
      Are Sturridge and Lovren injured?

If not they should be starting.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #90: Sep 24, 2016 08:50:21 am
      Just left for the long ride to anfield looking forward to a good day , have a great day fellow reds .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #91: Sep 24, 2016 08:51:26 am
      I'd go 1-1-2-6

If Karius is in goal, if not then I'd go 6-3-1.

Hee hee.  :laugh:

Jürgen hit the nail on the head when he suggested 'keepers were different to outfield players. Migs has done little wrong in a winning team yet he could be dropped without a second glance. No mention of not changing a winning team or picking players in form there but at the end of the day... whoever plays in goal today are not going to be taxed.

Full of your hand against this lot.  :nod:

Quick Reply