Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Footy pundits are wrong about Liverpool

Read 10718 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Footy pundits are wrong about Liverpool
      Sep 26, 2016 10:37:35 am
      Don't know where to put this post but i have to rant.

One thing that's getting on my tits that i'm seeing in the media now is "Can Liverpool win the league?" and then to justify their opinion that we won't, they say "Liverpool will be burnt out very soon. Their football can't be maintained for a full season."

Anyone reckon Arsenal felt fresh chasing our lads around for 90 minutes? Chelsea? Leicester? We're averaging 61% of the ball this season. We're not running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. We have the F***ing ball most of the time and the opposition is chasing us.

Brain dead pundits and arm-chair analysts just think we're a team built on just running around. We crush teams from the front without the ball and make them run ragged when we have it. Good luck dealing with it.

EDIT: We're gonna win the league.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Footy pundits are wrong about Liverpool
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2016 10:45:19 am

One thing that's getting on my tits that i'm seeing in the media now is "Can Liverpool win the league?" and then to justify their opinion that we won't, they say "Liverpool will be burnt out very soon. Their football can't be maintained for a full season."

Anyone reckon Arsenal felt fresh chasing our lads around for 90 minutes? Chelsea? Leicester? We're averaging 61% of the ball this season. We're not running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. We have the F***ing ball most of the time and the opposition is chasing us.

Brain dead pundits and arm-chair analysts just think we're a team built on just running around. We crush teams from the front without the ball and make them run ragged when we have it. Good luck dealing with it.

Don't let it get to ya mate, last week we weren't gonna win it because we couldn't beat teams like Hull.

They'll keep coming up with bullshit reasons until it's obvious either we will or we won't.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2016 10:54:31 am
      Don't let it get to ya mate, last week we weren't gonna win it because we couldn't beat teams like Hull.

They'll keep coming up with bullshit reasons until it's obvious either we will or we won't.

I think we're in with a good shout this year and can only see us getting stronger and stronger.

The media will soon change their tune when we tear both of the Mancs a new one.

I think we're harder to play against than City and our attack is much more devastating.

Can't wait for May, because we're gonna be right up there.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2016 10:57:50 am

Anyone reckon Arsenal felt fresh chasing our lads around for 90 minutes? Chelsea? Leicester? We're averaging 61% of the ball this season. We're not running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. We have the f**king ball most of the time and the opposition is chasing us.

I would ignore the majority of pundits in the UK at least as most of them are brain dead ex players like Robby Savage, Garth Crooks!!!

They simply don't understand that the modern game is all about pressing, flooding the opposition box with runners to create chaos for the defenders and there is nothing more potent than catching opposition teams in transition.

City and LFC are playing a type of football with tactics that the likes of Morinho would barely understand.
      Yet shitcoat is still the darling of the media with his prehistoric tactics!

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2016 11:05:04 am

Anyone reckon Arsenal felt fresh chasing our lads around for 90 minutes? Chelsea? Leicester? We're averaging 61% of the ball this season. We're not running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes. We have the f**king ball most of the time and the opposition is chasing us.

I think the opposite will happen myself, the players stamina will keep rising gradually as their body adapts to slightly more intensity being added during training.

It's simple conditioning and progressive overloading, just like doing the weights once you adapt you increase the load and adapt again.

Plus like you said were not running around like mad men all game and lately we're only using half a pitch anyway.

Furthermore the lads are still adapting to the counter press which will become more effective over the season which will also reduce the workload.

And... we are generally killing matches off within a few minutes anyway. Whether it's the beginning of the match or a little spell mid match like Arsenal.

Plus if we carry on like we are now for a few more weeks, and this is probably the most important one... Teams are already defeated before the match kicks off.

I mean imagine getting to the ground thinking you're potentially on the end of a 3,4 or 5 goal beating.

Must be horrible.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2016 11:33:31 am
      I think we're in with a good shout this year and can only see us getting stronger and stronger.

The media will soon change their tune when we tear both of the Mancs a new one.

I think we're harder to play against than City and our attack is much more devastating.

Can't wait for May, because we're gonna be right up there.

They see what they want to see is all mate.  They're using our drop off at the end of last season as a reason why it'll happen again this time but are failing to realise how many games we played from January onwards, more than any other team across the whole of Europe.

We can only keep doing what we're doing and see where we end up come May but we're in the best shape we've been in right across the pitch in terms of quality than we've been in for a very long time.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2016 11:42:49 am

It's a lazy generalisation in the media.  Some rightly or wrongly don't fancy us so have to find themselves an angle that looks coherent on tele.

I'd imagine the team that gets beat in any game of football always feels more tired the next day than the team that won.

A good reason they could come up with would be something like the fact that many of the team haven't been involved in winning the Premier League and some of the others have been in a race and have come up short.

But the 'experts', pointing to us 'burning ourselves out' does seem a strange theory to pick especially this season when we don't have, for example, European midweek trips.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2016 11:48:02 am
      Come Christmas time, I'm going to look at how teams go the week after playing us. Reckon that'd be a fun stat.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Sep 26, 2016 11:51:01 am
      Danny Murphy was at it again Saturday - whilst we're ripping apart Hull he writes on BBC sports live update page: "Liverpool are dangerous but defensively poor and they'll be found out against the bigger teams"

So teams like Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea who we've got 7 points off so far this season away from home then Danny?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #9: Sep 26, 2016 11:52:58 am
      Danny Murphy was at it again Saturday - whilst we're ripping apart Hull he writes on BBC sports live update page: "Liverpool are dangerous but defensively poor and they'll be found out against the bigger teams"

Danny Mills I think it was.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #10: Sep 26, 2016 11:58:34 am
      ''Liverpool will burn out very soon''

Hahaha wishful thinking you cu*ts!!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Sep 26, 2016 11:58:36 am

Fair enough - got the first name and first letter of his surname right at least ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #12: Sep 26, 2016 12:04:16 pm
      Fair enough - got the first name and first letter of his surname right at least ;D

And they've got the same hairstyle.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Sep 26, 2016 12:07:11 pm
      So far:

We've not spent enough.
      We don't have any star quality.
      There's better Managers in the league.
      Our defense isn't good enough.
      Our midfield isn't good enough.
      Studge is always injured.
      We've no squad depth.
      We're too inconsistent.
      We can't beat the bus parkers.
      We'll run out of steam.
      We'll suffer too many injuries.
      We'll be sussed out.
      Other clubs have better squads/individuals.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other reasons as the season unfolds  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Sep 26, 2016 12:14:53 pm
      Going to be even f**king sweeter when the commentators have to announce....

2016/17 Premier League winners are 'Liverpool Football Club' .....

Can't wait to hear Martin Tyler's voice...
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #15: Sep 26, 2016 12:24:30 pm
      Going to be even f**king sweeter when the commentators have to announce....

2016/17 Premier League winners are 'Liverpool Football Club' .....

Can't wait to hear Martin Tyler's voice...

He'll probably dissappear up his own arse the piece of sh*t.

Id love to punch him in the throat whilst he is creaming himself about Martial taking the best short corner the world has ever seen.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #16: Sep 26, 2016 12:28:21 pm
      So far:

We've not spent enough.
      We don't have any star quality.
      There's better Managers in the league.
      Our defense isn't good enough.
      Our midfield isn't good enough.
      Studge is always injured.
      We've no squad depth.
      We're too inconsistent.
      We can't beat the bus parkers.
      We'll run out of steam.
      We'll suffer too many injuries.
      We'll be sussed out.
      Other clubs have better squads/individuals.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other reasons as the season unfolds  ;D

They just can't handle the thought of us overtaking the Scum.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #17: Sep 26, 2016 12:38:26 pm
      Well Martin keown likes the way we play so does Gullit , anyhow who gives a sh*t what the pundits think , our boss and players are entertaining us and making us smile fck the rest of them .
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #18: Sep 26, 2016 03:06:57 pm
      When we do suffer a couple of poor results later on in the season everyone in the media will claim it's down to fatigue, rather than just bad days at the office.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19: Sep 26, 2016 03:54:03 pm
      I actually think it's a fair argument to make, to be honest. Gegenpressing worked at Dortmund, but you have to remember a few things about the Bundesliga: 1) There are two less teams, so less fixtures; 2) There is a crucial winter break to allow recovery time, whereas England plays more compressed fixtures in the winter; 3) There is only one domestic cup competition; 4) Germany is more technical than it is physical, the opposite of the Premier League which cares more for athletes than footballers.

That said, our incompetence in the league last year meant we don't have European football, so we too only have three competitions. And there haven't really been any surprises in the first six fixtures besides Everton playing as well as they have, so it's likely going to be a battle between the big clubs. Our less fixtures should help tremendously. If there is a season to do it, it's this season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #20: Sep 26, 2016 04:09:52 pm
      1) There are two less teams, so less fixtures; 2) There is a crucial winter break to allow recovery time, whereas England plays more compressed fixtures in the winter; 3) There is only one domestic cup competition; 4) Germany is more technical than it is physical, the opposite of the Premier League

I think the first 3 points are certainly negated this time around because we're not playing any European football as you mention.  You could argue that Dortmund's title winning seasons has far more compressed Autumn's than we will have - plenty more recuperation throughout the season.

Some merit in your fourth point - we will just have to see on that score.  Interesting looking back at Dortmund's title winning season's cos they loved conceding the single goal in games as well!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Sep 26, 2016 04:12:43 pm
      Can I quote today's 26/9/16  Daily Telegraph sport section;

Liverpool  will not just outplay teams this season they will smother them into submission.

"They didnt give us a chance to breathe" reflected Hull's captain Curtis Davies  eulogising the the most "ruthless" and "fluent" attack he has faced this season.

A trip to Anfield is the closest defenders will get to understand how a fox feels when a pack of bloodhounds is on its trail.

Fact :

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE YEARS  since LFC  last scored as many as 24 goals in the first eight games of the season.  Since 1896  four years after we woz born.

Tell the media to read the Telegraph and get a f**king education .
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #22: Sep 26, 2016 04:17:52 pm

Indeed it was, I read it and was pissed off at how lazy that generalisation is given the teams we have played so far (who were quite obviously the types of teams he was referring to). Useless pr**k who spouts generic nonsense in the same vein as Garth Crooks. Tries to sound intelligent but comes across as a fraud.

Another thing about the pundits, constantly in every review of our performances, go on about the Burnley game. Our only defeat of the season and not exactly the easiest of games going away to Turf Moor. Should we have won? Yes. Is it the disaster the media have made out? No.

F**k em, we're gonna win the league!

Quick Reply