Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

John Henry: Further Anfield expansion unlikely

Read 17336 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: John Henry: Further Anfield expansion unlikely
      Reply #23: Sep 29, 2016 04:24:34 pm
      I read it more like "maybe we won't, maybe we will" "we'll see".

For me it was the excuse he used that fired up my ire.

Father Christmas won't come now because you have been a very bad boy.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Sep 29, 2016 04:35:37 pm
      "Ticket prices are an issue in England," said Henry. "That may foreclose further expansion."

This quote?

"Ticket prices are an issue in England," said Henry. "That may foreclose further expansion."

This is an issue going on throughout the league Gary not an LFC one...everything else in the article was suppositions of the writer and rehashing the ticket issues last year, not direct quotes.

Seeing as how they have said they were not going to make promises (much like what they said with the main stand expansion) I still read it as maybe we will, maybe we won't.....we will see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #25: Sep 29, 2016 04:36:27 pm
      For me it was the excuse he used that fired up my ire.

Father Christmas won't come now because you have been a very bad boy.

Indeed it was the veiled threat of anymore protests and no more Crimbo pressies.

Pretty embarrassing really that clubs like West Ham have a bigger stadium and soon Spurs, Chelsea and possibly even the Bitters....F**k it even a Championship side has a bigger capacity.
      We should be on par with the Mancs but of course that would need ambition something that has sorely lacked during their tenure here.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Sep 29, 2016 04:37:00 pm
      'Minute Men Rally Round The Carpetbaggers Shocker'     :P
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #27: Sep 29, 2016 04:39:31 pm
      American pimps
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #28: Sep 29, 2016 04:41:01 pm
      This quote?

This is an issue going on throughout the league Gary not an LFC one...everything else in the article was suppositions of the writer and rehashing the ticket issues last year, not direct quotes.

Seeing as how they have said they were not going to make promises (much like what they said with the main stand expansion) I still read it as maybe we will, maybe we won't.....we will see.

Or just maybe the fact they can't sell all the expensive seats in the middle section of the new main stand (the corporate bit) loads of empties in there against Hull last saturday!

Why has John Henry, from F***ing nowhere, claimed it might not go ahead due to ticket prices. They aren't mutually exclusive, the argument doesn't stack up.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #29: Sep 29, 2016 04:45:42 pm
      Or just maybe the fact they can't sell all the expensive seats in the middle section of the new main stand (the corporate bit) loads of empties in there against Hull last saturday!

You have hit the nail on the head mate, the corporate seats are not shifting and bearing in mind the ARE will be mainly for the fans they are not interested.

If they could guarantee more Pinot Grigio drinking types in the ARE this would be a no brainer for them.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #30: Sep 29, 2016 04:47:18 pm
      Did not know if it was going to be built before this article, do not know if it is going to be built after this article.

One thing is for sure is that the papers know exactly what to write and the supporter base to write it too when they are needing clicks on a slow Thursday in the news.

Listened to TAW this past Monday where they talked about the media and the way they write articles in an effort to get clicks and how LFC is gold standard for them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Sep 29, 2016 04:49:19 pm
      Indeed it was the veiled threat of anymore protests and no more Crimbo pressies.

Pretty embarrassing really that clubs like West Ham have a bigger stadium and soon Spurs, Chelsea and possibly even the Bitters....F**k it even a Championship side has a bigger capacity.
      We should be on par with the Mancs but of course that would need ambition something that has sorely lacked during their tenure here.

The size of the stadium's capacity is much more of an historical failing, especially by Moores, than an FSG one. Also, doesn't the next expansion involve the club having to pay for infrastructure costs in Anfield and around Liverpool? It still needs doing, but we need to able to afford to do it and it should have been done a quarter of a century ago. I can understand the anger, but a lot is being aimed in the wrong direction.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #32: Sep 29, 2016 04:58:49 pm
      The size of the stadium's capacity is much more of an historical failing, especially by Moores, than an FSG one. Also, doesn't the next expansion involve the club having to pay for infrastructure costs in Anfield and around Liverpool? It still needs doing, but we need to able to afford to do it and it should have been done a quarter of a century ago. I can understand the anger, but a lot is being aimed in the wrong direction.

One of the remits for the club purchase was to either build a new stadia or refurbish Anfield, I don't think costings was discussed regarding refurbishment during the sale,however they should have had a good idea of costing for both new or refurb projects whilst purchasing the club if due diligence was carried out correctly...I don't understand why now would JWH get cold feet over ARE, maybe they realise there is only a certain ceiling LFC supporters are willing to reach unless we start filling the trophy cabinets once more..

Regarding the roadworks & surrounding infrastructure, who would pay for this if we moved to Stanley Park?.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Sep 29, 2016 05:07:34 pm
      One of the remits for the club purchase was to either build a new stadia or refurbish Anfield, I don't think costings was discussed regarding refurbishment during the sale,however they should have had a good idea of costing for both new or refurb projects whilst purchasing the club if due diligence was carried out correctly...I don't understand why now would JWH get cold feet over ARE, maybe they realise there is only a certain ceiling LFC supporters are willing to reach unless we start filling the trophy cabinets once more..

Regarding the roadworks & surrounding infrastructure, who would pay for this if we moved to Stanley Park?.

As far as I am aware the infrastructure costs of a new rapid transit rail station is only required if the stadium capacity goes above 60k...which it won't. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #34: Sep 29, 2016 05:21:28 pm

I have forgotten about the due diligence sh*t, yes they should have these figures down to the last penny, and should have realised how much things will have cost and the length of time to profit, or have they miscalculated on the amount of money the fans are willing to pay for a ticket.

If they want to progress, then they need to be seen to be proactive, yes they have redeveloped the Main Stand, but if they need to wait for a profit to come in before the ARE Phase II development starts, then they should have said know this, and said so a long time ago.

Plus remember they made a profit this transfer window.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #35: Sep 29, 2016 05:21:35 pm

They have increased capacity though, was there a minimum seat increase or are people just being angry because they want more seats?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Sep 29, 2016 05:28:29 pm
      Its a softening up shot.

They will definitely expand as they know that the optimum size of a stadium these days is at or near the 60,000 point.
      The Emirates is at that level with 60,400.
      In itself its the third largest capacity behind Wembley and the Old Toilet.

They don't need ticket price rises.
      We are an English Premier League club.  Awash with money.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #37: Sep 29, 2016 05:29:02 pm
      I have forgotten about the due diligence sh*t, yes they should have these figures down to the last penny, and should have realised how much things will have cost and the length of time to profit, or have they miscalculated on the amount of money the fans are willing to pay for a ticket.

If they want to progress, then they need to be seen to be proactive, yes they have redeveloped the Main Stand, but if they need to wait for a profit to come in before the ARE Phase II development starts, then they should have said know this, and said so a long time ago.

Plus remember they made a profit this transfer window.

John Henry :-
      “The allure of a new stadium and/or refurbishment is no different at Anfield then it is anywhere in the world. New stadiums increase revenues primarily by raising ticket prices – especially premium seating.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38: Sep 29, 2016 05:32:57 pm
      As far as I am aware the infrastructure costs of a new rapid transit rail station is only required if the stadium capacity goes above 60k...which it won't. 

58,000 capacity I think if the ARE is refurbished, so there are no extra cost for transport infrastructure...

If anything they should have built both stand at once...any reason why this was not done?.

On 23 August 2013 Anfield was listed as an Asset of Community Value by Liverpool City Council.[52] On 11 September, current owner, John W. Henry announced that they had the funds to afford the expansion but they are waiting for the City Council to finalize the purchase of houses in the area before they commit to plans to expand the Main Stand and the Anfield Road end of the ground.[53] In April 2014 Liverpool F.C. signed a legal agreement with Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group to redevelop the surrounding Anfield area. This was seen as a significant step towards the renovation of the stadium. The redevelopment was worth around £260 million.[54] On 23 April 2014 Liverpool F.C. revealed plans for an expansion of the Main Stand, increasing its capacity by 8,250 and taking the capacity of the stadium to 54,742 In a second phase the Anfield Road stand's seating is to be increased by 4,825, which would give Anfield a total capacity of 58,000.[55][56]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anfield

So JWH had the funds but now does not?, what's happened?..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #39: Sep 29, 2016 05:35:38 pm
      Wow. We've literally just got a new stand and we're all demanding another right away. Chill.

I think sell out after sell out and the team progressing in the league and in Europe brings a new stand. Nothing to do with ticket prices.

Plus the fact he's only came out and said 'ticket prices may be an issue' and it 'may' postpone further expansion. Nothing new. Either prices go up or we get more funds by kicking ass. Let's let the team earn this for us, full confidence they got this.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #40: Sep 29, 2016 05:37:35 pm
      58,000 capacity I think if the ARE is refurbished, so there are no extra cost for transport infrastructure...

If anything they should have built both stand at once...any reason why this was not done?.

On 23 August 2013 Anfield was listed as an Asset of Community Value by Liverpool City Council.[52] On 11 September, current owner, John W. Henry announced that they had the funds to afford the expansion but they are waiting for the City Council to finalize the purchase of houses in the area before they commit to plans to expand the Main Stand and the Anfield Road end of the ground.[53] In April 2014 Liverpool F.C. signed a legal agreement with Liverpool City Council and Your Housing Group to redevelop the surrounding Anfield area. This was seen as a significant step towards the renovation of the stadium. The redevelopment was worth around £260 million.[54] On 23 April 2014 Liverpool F.C. revealed plans for an expansion of the Main Stand, increasing its capacity by 8,250 and taking the capacity of the stadium to 54,742 In a second phase the Anfield Road stand's seating is to be increased by 4,825, which would give Anfield a total capacity of 58,000.[55][56]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anfield

Dunno Shabs Staggered costs, plus it might have proved impractical to play matches there if both expansions were done at once?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #41: Sep 29, 2016 05:40:23 pm
      Wow. We've literally just got a new stand and we're all demanding another right away. Chill.

I think sell out after sell out and the team progressing in the league and in Europe brings a new stand. Nothing to do with ticket prices.

Plus the fact he's only came out and said 'ticket prices may be an issue' and it 'may' postpone further expansion. Nothing new. Either prices go up or we get more funds by kicking ass. Let's let the team earn this for us, full confidence they got this.

He brought it up :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #42: Sep 29, 2016 05:41:48 pm

That new stand was built primarily for the extra corporate facilities really.

Would be nice to have a few more tickets available for normal fans rather than those corporate shill cu*ts.

Anyway it's all bollocks, know someone who works for Carillion and he said the company have been kept on to start work on the Anny Road at the end of this season. They're currently working on the Etihad, once they've finished there they are coming back to work on the Anny Road stand.

Basically this is JWH having a bi*ch regarding last season's protest and the ticket prices!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #43: Sep 29, 2016 05:42:01 pm

Can't argue with that :laugh:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #44: Sep 29, 2016 05:43:34 pm
      John Henry :-
      “The allure of a new stadium and/or refurbishment is no different at Anfield then it is anywhere in the world. New stadiums increase revenues primarily by raising ticket prices – especially premium seating.

TBH, I don't want to afford them so I don't, sadly I am not confident of seeing Liverpool play live at Anfield ever again.

£50 is way too much, so £77 is ridiculous, especially when there is no guarantee that your ticket will ensure a good experience and it will be worth it, it's a gamble that I'm not willing to take.

I'm amazed that people can afford the current prices, and pay them week in and week out.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #45: Sep 29, 2016 05:43:36 pm
      That new stand was built primarily for the extra corporate facilities really.

Would be nice to have a few more tickets available for normal fans rather than those corporate shill cu*ts.

Anyway it's all bollocks, know someone who works for Carillion and he said the company have been kept on to start work on the Anny Road at the end of this season. They're currently working on the Etihad, once they've finished there they are coming back to work on the Anny Road stand.

Basically this is JWH having a bi*ch regarding last season's protest and the ticket prices!

Inside scoop! Nice work mate. F**k it, let him bi*ch then if it makes him feel better, more seats is worth taking one or two pissy comments over

Quick Reply