Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

John Henry: Further Anfield expansion unlikely

Read 17090 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      John Henry: Further Anfield expansion unlikely
      Sep 29, 2016 07:58:55 am
      Punishing the fans for the protests!!

As if they have not made enough from their minuscule investement. A £Billion not enough for you JWH you greedy b***ard.

https://twitter.com/robharris/status/781261009038237697
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: John Henry: Further Anfield expansion unlikely
      Reply #1: Sep 29, 2016 12:31:43 pm
      Liverpool owner says Anfield expansion may not go ahead over ticket price fears
      Plans to expand Anfield further may not go ahead because Liverpool are worried about fans being angered by the ticket price rises needed to fund it.

In February thousands of fans protested against plans to charge £77 for some tickets in the club's new main stand.

"Ticket prices are an issue in England," said Henry. "That may foreclose further expansion."

A fans' group called the news "disappointing", adding it would like clarification on the situation.

Liverpool's redeveloped main stand has increased Anfield's capacity to 54,074.

That is an increase of about 8,500 seats and plans for the next phase of the redevelopment would see the Anfield Road end extended, adding another 5,000 seats.

But Henry said: "I don't know if there will be a next step."

Last season, Henry's Fenway Sports Group apologised to fans and reversed plans to increase ticket prices after supporters staged a walkout during the 2-2 draw at home to Sunderland.

"These comments are a little surprising and disappointing for some supporters." said James McKenna from the Spirit of Shankly fans' group, who were involved in February's protest.

"There is outline planning for the work and it seems a little disingenuous that we have never been told that ticket prices would impact the decision to redevelop the Anfield Road end.

"At a time when the club has increased revenues, to suggest that making an extra million pounds or so would prevent further expansion going ahead is a little strange; maybe John Henry should clarify what he means."

'More discussion needed over Champions League'

Meanwhile, Henry says Premier League owners are "not happy" at Uefa's plans to alter the way Champions League prize money is distributed.

Uefa wants to give more money to clubs who have historically performed well in the competition.

That would benefit five-time winners Liverpool and other European giants such as Real Madrid, who hold the record with 11 titles.

However, it would lead to a decrease in cash for sides like Manchester City, who have never won the competition.

The changes were only agreed by a small number of club officials and Uefa prior to them being unveiled in August.

"They unilaterally made changes to the market pool and there should have been I think more discussion," said Henry, whose club did not qualify for European competition this season.

"But I can tell you that the [Premier League] owners were not happy... at least among the clubs that I speak with."

Not a huge surprise.  Main Stand was always about big corporate entertainment and 4,500 hospitality seats.  Why expand the Anny Road just so another 4000 plebs can get in.

Adding £10 on a ticket for the extra 4,000 seats would rake in less than £1M a year - certainly not make or break to build a new stand.  Time he stopped thinking the supporters are F***ing stupid.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2: Sep 29, 2016 01:10:58 pm
      The release of this complete bollox statement and our owner's confidence that everyone will swallow it is disturbing.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2016 01:13:54 pm
      I'd be disappointed if we did not expand the ARE.

This would have to be for the long term investment, there is no quick buck here, naming rights, and corporate revenue will help, but this must be a vision for the future.

With the China economy slowing, I'm not sure if the price of steel would fall or rise, plus with OPEC agreeing to slow oil production yesterday, things may get more costly.

We have planning permission for the expansion of Phase II, but we also had planning permission for a new ground in Stanley Park, and we know how that went.

The new stand has improved the atmosphere, and it would be very odd not to capitalise on this with a bigger ARE, very odd indeed.

As for the money coming from tickets, have not the EPL/Sky/BT paid out a sh*t load of cash? Where is this going/gone?

It's not just the cost of the tickets, what about the extras that the fans buy, merchandise, beer, food etc, this seems very short sighted, or maybe just a veiled threat.

IF we do not expand the ARE WTF were the architects thinking of with the girders holding the ARE roof, if there was any concern, why was this designed this way?

This seems a very odd time to say this, we're on a high, why play a dampener?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2016 01:36:22 pm
      Time he stopped thinking all the supporters are F***ing stupid.

Amended that JD... thankfully the numbers still buying his bullshit are dwindling.

"Dare rebel against hight ticket prices; would you? I'll show ya... you dumprats!"

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2016 01:56:57 pm
      But they saved us....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2016 02:11:00 pm
      Cheeky arsed tw*t has always been about the money and that has come shining through now.

Punishing the fans for the protests!!

That's the way I'm seeing it now, can't get their own way on ticket prices, so they now throw a bi*ch-fit and say they won't expand the Anny Road.

F**k the cu*ts off and let's get the chinese in!!

FSG = F***ing Shitbag Gobshites.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2016 02:14:42 pm
      Hahaha poor John and his boys. You have to feel really sorry for them.

Put the seats in you soft tw*t  :lmao:
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2016 02:27:03 pm
      If they don't have the means to take the club any further, then they should fold their stuff up and sell to the correct people who can take this club towards its rightful place and make it equipped to  compete with the very best in the world. We want to be fighting with Barca, Madrid, PSG etc and that demands money. If they can't provide it then don't let the door hit you.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2016 02:36:14 pm
      If they don't have the means to take the club any further, then they should fold their stuff up and sell to the correct people who can take this club towards its rightful place and make it equipped to  compete with the very best in the world. We want to be fighting with Barca, Madrid, PSG etc and that demands money. If they can't provide it then don't let the door hit you.

It's got nothing to do with taking the club further, it's all about the fact they can't shift the expensive packages and tickets in the main stand.

They also know trying to put ticket prices up on the normal tickets will have us match-going lot kicking off at them again.

This is all about greed and I've got a feeling we'll be stuck with them until someone stumps up a billion quid, cos that's what they want from the club.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2016 02:40:50 pm
      Thrown their toys out the peak because people won't stand for being rinsed by the club any longer!

As said, because these seats will be for the standard match goer they aren't F***ing arsed!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2016 02:48:12 pm

They have never had the means or intention of taking this club forward in any sense but that of a viable commercial entity.
      They know F**k all about football but everything about getting the best business result for the shareholders and their company.

Appointing Jürgen Klopp was a masterstroke and truth be told is all that keeps them from the mutinous natives.

edit: Hope to F**k one of them has a day off, stops being a c**t and has a peep on this forum to get an insight of what this club is about; just wasted a minute of my life.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2016 02:54:08 pm
      Cheeky arsed tw*t has always been about the money and that has come shining through now.

That's the way I'm seeing it now, can't get their own way on ticket prices, so they now throw a bi*ch-fit and say they won't expand the Anny Road.

F**k the cu*ts off and let's get the chinese in!!

FSG = F***ing Shitbag Gobshites.

Spot on.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2016 02:56:31 pm
      more like the revenue from 4k more season tickets wont affect the overall value of the club enough for them to be bothered, blaming the fans is childish behaviour
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2016 02:59:11 pm
      I've been more, way more, patient than most with that lot but this has f**king pushed me like.

I just cannot fathom why, when everything is going well, they come out with these things.  Didn't they pull the ticket price increase out the hat the day after we beat United in the Europa League or something like that. 

It's got my back up as well - totally unnecessary. 

Why not just say 'It's a waste of money building it for normal fans without all the hospitality'.  Because that's more like the truth.  They were all apologetic after the ticket price protest but clearly they weren't sorry at all.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2016 03:04:27 pm
      The slightest goodwill I had towards FSG has gone...

Then we have some amongst our ranks who say they don't want owners like Abromovich or Mansour...

I bet my house on the fact had we had a petrodollar owner they wouldn't think twice about expansion or a new stadia.

Greedy cu*ts...

How much is enough? F**k sake man, aren't you lot content with the millions you ready have?....F**k.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2016 03:08:10 pm
      The very first bid that comes in matching their obscene profit margin estimate is when these greedy, lying bas**rds get the F**k out of LFC, there are candidates out there - respected, credible business institutions who are reluctant to match the obscene profit margin mentioned.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2016 03:33:08 pm
      If we can have some civil discussion here.

You are the owner of FSG. You've made the investment(s) and you've reaped whatever profits or increase in value that has resulted.

You manage this property, and that's what it is to you. You didn't grow up on Merseyside. You didn't know who Ray Kennedy or Ian Rush or Bill Paisley were until recently.

What would you do? How would you approach stadium expansion? What about it would motivate you? How would the protests from last year impact you, beyond doing an about-face (and then some) on what had been proposed?

Serious questions.

Another serious question: Who is this other entity that will fund the club at a competitive level without trying to make a profit and continue to increase the value of the "property" they own?

You can dislike these guys all you want, but if you think there is an alternative out there that could somehow lead to our team being competitive at a high level, the club being in sound financial shape without the cost of investment being recouped somehow you are living in a version of reality with which I am not familiar. It isn't 1983 anymore. This is top-level football now and if you don't think so, show me the club that doesn't do all the same things.

I don't say any of these things with personal venom, but basically from his comments I see him saying if they invest in a stand expansion, they need to have a return on that investment and if ticket price increases are a no-go, and this is a stand not suitable for enhanced revenue (luxury suites, etc), than it is far less compelling for them, the people with the money. Why is that such an odd concept?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2016 03:39:31 pm

You are the owner of FSG. You've made the investment(s) and you've reaped whatever profits or increase in value that has resulted.

You manage this property, and that's what it is to you. You didn't grow up on Merseyside. You didn't know who Ray Kennedy or Ian Rush or Bill Paisley were until recently.

What would you do? How would you approach stadium expansion? What about it would motivate you? How would the protests from last year impact you, beyond doing an about-face (and then some) on what had been proposed?

Serious questions.

Another serious question: Who is this other entity that will fund the club at a competitive level without trying to make a profit and continue to increase the value of the "property" they own?

You can dislike these guys all you want, but if you think there is an alternative out there that could somehow lead to our team being competitive at a high level, the club being in sound financial shape without the cost of investment being recouped somehow you are living in a version of reality with which I am not familiar. It isn't 1983 anymore. This is top-level football now and if you don't think so, show me the club that doesn't do all the same things.

I don't say any of these things with personal venom, but basically from his comments I see him saying if they invest in a stand expansion, they need to have a return on that investment and if ticket price increases are a no-go, and this is a stand not suitable for enhanced revenue (luxury suites, etc), than it is far less compelling for them, the people with the money. Why is that such an odd concept?

Arse-kisser! ;)  How can you be civil about something that should be so close to our hearts. F**k that I want these yank cu*ts gone, they've done F**k all for the club really and I imagine when they do F**k off back to Boston I'm sure they'll come out with some sh*te about growing the fanbase, which will be bollocks!!

All they've done is build a stand which has been needed for a good while.

They're all about the money and F**k all else, plenty out there who would spend on the team and facilities, which will lead us to success.

They do not give a F**k about trophies, it's all about the $$$$$$
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Sep 29, 2016 03:42:10 pm

Serious questions.

John Henry :-
      "Finally, I can say with authority that our ownership is not about profit.

:lmao:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #20: Sep 29, 2016 04:00:09 pm
      Arse-kisser! ;)  How can you be civil about something that should be so close to our hearts. F**k that I want these yank cu*ts gone, they've done f**k all for the club really and I imagine when they do f**k off back to Boston I'm sure they'll come out with some sh*te about growing the fanbase, which will be bollocks!!

All they've done is build a stand which has been needed for a good while.

They're all about the money and f**k all else, plenty out there who would spend on the team and facilities, which will lead us to success.

They do not give a f**k about trophies, it's all about the $$$$$$

I know all that. Linda told me if I posted that on here she'd give me some used towels from her Spa. It's not what most people hope for from her, but I'm realistic.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21: Sep 29, 2016 04:15:56 pm
      Not a whole lot was actually said there.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Sep 29, 2016 04:17:54 pm
      Not a whole lot was actually said there.

I read it more like "maybe we won't, maybe we will" "we'll see".

Quick Reply