Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      17 (12%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      40 (28.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (4.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (9.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      57 (40.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Oct 05, 2016 02:24:10 pm

Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23368 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Swansea City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Oct 03, 2016 07:00:13 pm
      Eh...yea he probably shouldn't have said that although the way it's worded, I wonder if the context (other questions around that answer) would shed some insight.

I'll be the first to say that I'm not so sure he's going to work.  I was never really impressed with his work with the USMNT to be honest. Thought he gave too much deference to his son who I don't rate AT ALL. I think Michael Bradley is one of the most overrated players on the planet.

That being said, I hope he does well if for no other reason, it might help grow the game even more over here.

As a fan of the MLS, I hope that happens.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #553: Oct 03, 2016 07:12:03 pm
      More like bullshit. Can't stand knee jerk owners that sack managers after a brutal fixture list.

Hope they go down now. 

I find it exceptionally harsh that he's been given the boot after 7 games.  Man City didn't get a lead on them until the 65th minute and we did require a penalty to get all the points.  You could argue Chelsea (a), Arsenal (a) and playing the current Champions were more difficult games for us than Swansea.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #554: Oct 03, 2016 07:38:03 pm
      I think that was a misrepresentation of his comments by some journo. He has wanted to manage in England for some time. I think he knew he was working against a perception in Europe (and to some degree in North America) that if he's American, he couldn't possibly be any good at this. As I say, I'm glad he has the chance, but this will be a STEEP, uphill climb.

Better hope for the best, what with all the damage done by Yank owners, Yank marketing, McDonald's, doughnuts, fat people etc. You'll be finished as a nation if he isn't up to the mark.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #555: Oct 03, 2016 08:35:15 pm
      Hope they go down now. 

I find it exceptionally harsh that he's been given the boot after 7 games.  Man City didn't get a lead on them until the 65th minute and we did require a penalty to get all the points.  You could argue Chelsea (a), Arsenal (a) and playing the current Champions were more difficult games for us than Swansea.

BR got the boot from us last year at around 8 games? 

swansea had one of the most difficult if not the most difficult fixture lists.  the owners have no clue what they are doing
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #556: Oct 03, 2016 08:43:25 pm
      Pretty ridiculous move by Swansea given the start to the season they had. They got the short end of the stick considering 3 of their opening 7 were City, Chelsea and us. That's a very difficult start for a club of their standing and with their resources.

Not sure what to make of Bradley. The only time he's managed a team with good players (proportional to the league) is when he was in charge of Chicago and won three trophies. He's never had a talented after and he's never had money to spend. This could be a step too big for him -- or it might not be, for all we know. He never played professional football, but he's an Ivy Leaguer who's spent his entire adult life learning the game and coaching.

Personally, I don't think he's going to be a hit, nor do I think he'll be an outright failure, either. Though I suspect Swansea are going to be a bit more pragmatic and a bit more boring now, to be honest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #557: Oct 03, 2016 09:00:55 pm

swansea had one of the most difficult if not the most difficult fixture lists.  the owners have no clue what they are doing

BR got the boot after 3 season, not quite the same, plus this new yank manager sounds like a bit of a tw*t, he's never won anything of note yet he compares himself to the best football managers in the world.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #558: Oct 03, 2016 09:45:31 pm
      he's never won anything of note yet he compares himself to the best football managers in the world.

Not a great start from him.  I'd imagine in American sports that kind of big bold thing goes down well but in Britain, and I'd imagine Europe as a whole, you do better to under-promise and over-deliver.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #559: Oct 03, 2016 10:25:10 pm
      Not a great start from him.  I'd imagine in American sports that kind of big bold thing goes down well but in Britain, and I'd imagine Europe as a whole, you do better to under-promise and over-deliver.

I'm not sure why you'd think it would go over well here.....it wouldn't.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #560: Oct 03, 2016 11:14:19 pm
      Better hope for the best, what with all the damage done by Yank owners, Yank marketing, McDonald's, doughnuts, fat people etc. You'll be finished as a nation if he isn't up to the mark.

What do you mean "will be finished" ???
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #561: Oct 03, 2016 11:15:17 pm
      I'm not sure why you'd think it would go over well here.....it wouldn't.

Definitely wouldn't.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #562: Oct 04, 2016 01:41:48 pm
      Pretty ridiculous move by Swansea given the start to the season they had.
      Part of me thinks that the writing was on the wall irrespective of the mitigation surrounding their opponents or, indeed, how well they actually played Mozzie.

I may be being too cynical but I get the feeling they wanted Bradley in irrespective of results. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Swansea still playing the same brand of football as they did under consecutive managers as that is not really important to the new owners.

F**k knows who advises them but a once progressive club appears to have taken a step back. I guess we'll see.

"We're not looking for a massive change in terms of what's been done.

We're in it to win. That means a lot to us, and we hate to lose. We won't let emotion cloud our judgement. We want the club to be in a better place in five years. We think we can add some commercial value, and we want the club to flourish on the pitch..."

– JASON LEVIEN

Hmm... :-\
      « Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016 02:02:24 pm by bad boy bubby »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #563: Oct 04, 2016 01:59:46 pm
      I 5hink this could signal the beginning of the end for the Swansea story.

Promotions all the way through the leagues to get to the big time and then managing to compete well at this level. A great achievement, but i think theres been a real change of direction at that club recently and I cant imagine it ending happily.
      Bradley comes across as a workmNlike type of manager to me. But I don't think the decision has much to do with purely footballing reasons.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #564: Oct 04, 2016 07:48:35 pm
      Quote from DaktionLFC

Same as us last year. We're in no position to lecture Swansea after the way we got rid of Rodgers, despite one of our toughest beginnings of any season fixture wise, and on a 6 game unbeaten run.

As for Karius, he's played three games, and we've won three times, with a clean sheet in there. Anyone pining for Mignolet to return (having spent two years praying to get rid of him) is going to be disappointed. Karius is Klopp's man, so he is not going to be dropped. So like him or not, we're going to have to get on with him.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #565: Oct 05, 2016 12:59:47 pm
      Same as us last year. We're in no position to lecture Swansea after the way we got rid of Rodgers, despite one of our toughest beginnings of any season fixture wise, and on a 6 game unbeaten run.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but BR was entering his 4th season in charge and had just gotten a few "marquee" signings that were his targets -- namely Benteke, Milner, and Firmino.  We should have been winning regularly, not just avoiding defeat.

After 7 league games we are already 5 points better off this season than last, and we've done it despite a much more difficult level of opposition.  Sacking BR to hire Klopp was the right decision.  The only thing that can be questioned is why the owners waited as long as they did -- he should have got axed after the humiliation that was supposed to be Stevie's send off....
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #566: Oct 08, 2016 12:47:38 pm
      The issue here isn't when he should have gone, more the way he went. There's a right way of handling these things, and there's a wrong way. And certainly in the case of Dalglish and Rodgers, the wrong way was taken.

Dalglish was sacked in America after ending the 6 year trophy famine, and getting to two cup finals. Rodgers was sacked over the phone, on a 6 game unbeaten run from a very difficult start.

Swansea have form for dismissing first team coaches in ways that the public question. Like FSG, they have American owners, and like FSG, they took no account of the start they had, they just looked at the results and the league table, and pressed the nuclear button. They will probably survive, there are worse teams in the league who are getting worse results. But American owners know everything about the bottom line and nothing about the game.

Quick Reply