Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Comolli: "I was sacked for buying Jordan Henderson"

Read 4173 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Comolli: "I was sacked for buying Jordan Henderson"
      Oct 12, 2016 09:05:52 am
      Damien Comolli claims he was fired by Liverpool for signing 'waste of money' Jordan Henderson

Damien Comolli has claimed Liverpool’s owners fired him after telling him that £16million Jordan Henderson was a waste of money.

The Reds skipper, 26, is set to captain England against Slovenia tonight in Wayne Rooney’s absence.

But Comolli, who signed him from Sunderland in 2011, claims the Fenway Sports Group accused him of making a mistake with the purchase.

The Frenchman was dismissed in 2012 but Henderson went on to succeed Steven Gerrard as skipper. Comolli believes the faith now being shown by Gareth Southgate justifies his own belief in Henderson’s potential back then.

He said: “[Henderson] is one of the main reasons I got sacked.

“The day I got sacked they [Liverpool’s owners] told me I had made a big mistake on Jordan and he was a waste of money.

“Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I think we paid the right price.

“He was a young English, British player and we know very often that British players are overvalued. But we were more than happy to pay the price because we thought he would become an outstanding player.

“I never said it publicly, but I was convinced he would be the future captain. People will say it is easy to say now, but I was convinced at the time that he would become the Liverpool captain. Now he is and he is also the England captain.”

Comolli claims he was backed by then-boss Kenny Dalglish who shared his belief that Henderson would make the step up at Anfield.

Speaking to Talksport’s Jim White, he added: “I was totally convinced, as was Kenny, that we were doing the right thing for the club.

“He fitted the profile we were looking for. We knew he was an outstanding person, we knew he had leadership skills, we knew he was totally dedicated to football, to his passion, and we knew he was someone who wanted to improve on a day to day basis.

“We knew his physical abilities - his fitness stats were absolutely unbelievable.

“We were looking at statistics and we were going through a lot of midfield players in the Premier League and what amazed me and caught my eye was his ability to create quality chances.

“For a player who was so young, playing not in a top side, with all due respect to Sunderland, he was producing and creating more quality chances, or least as much, as top quality players in the Premier League.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/damien-comolli-claims-fired-liverpool-9023463
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Comolli: "I was sacked for buying Jordan Henderson"
      Reply #1: Oct 12, 2016 09:13:19 am
      Feel bad for Damien, here. He's obviously got an eye for talent. That's why he is currently employed by...er...um...?!

Pipe down. You spent a lot of money on a lot of sh*t that we spent many windows trying to flog off.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Oct 12, 2016 09:15:01 am
      This isn't the first time Comolli has come out and spoken in recent years is it.

I can believe this story because only a few months after he was sacked, Rodgers said the player could leave on loan to Fulham - which he never did.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Oct 12, 2016 09:21:51 am
      This guy is like herpes, you think he's gone, then wham, he's back.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #4: Oct 12, 2016 09:32:50 am
      Saw the story on TV and thought 'bullshit', now on the forum more convinced it's bullshit.

edit: We all know why the bullshitter was sacked.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Oct 12, 2016 09:40:54 am
      He seems to forget that he wasted 20m on Downing, 35m on Carroll, 9m on Adam & 7m on Coates but yes sure Mr Comolli, you was sacked because you signed Henderson :roll:
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #6: Oct 12, 2016 09:44:42 am
      So, it's all Henderson's fault eh! I knew it. ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #7: Oct 12, 2016 09:48:41 am
      So, it's all Henderson's fault eh! I knew it. ;)

Henderson and/or Mr Dalglish - or both.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #8: Oct 12, 2016 09:50:08 am
      He seems to forget that he wasted 20m on Downing, 35m on Carroll, 9m on Adam & 7m on Coates but yes sure Mr Comolli, you was sacked because you signed Henderson :roll:

He would have you believe they were all Mr Dalglish' signings.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #9: Oct 12, 2016 09:55:27 am
      This fcking guy. Desperately trying to remain relevant. Has he even had a job since leaving us?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Oct 12, 2016 10:14:33 am
      This fcking guy. Desperately trying to remain relevant. Has he even had a job since leaving us?

Has he bollocks.

He was responsible for signing 8 players, we currently have 1 of them left at the club for one reason or another.

Carroll 35m - Suarez 22.8m - Downing 20m - Henderson 16m - Enrique 7m - Adam 9m - Coates 7m - Doni 0m
      Carroll - joke of a transfer.
      Downing - joke of a transfer
      Enrique - decent but only got 2 seasons out of him
      Adam - dog sh*t
      Coates - pretty sh*t really
      Doni - meh

Bellamy was re-signed when Comolli was here but Bellamy has said that was because of Dalglish. Klopp would LOVE Bellamy in his prime :D.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11: Oct 12, 2016 11:04:58 am
      Last time liverpool won a trophy were with signings of Comolli & they also played a second final too, I would not go bashing his signings that much as we have not had a trophy since...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Oct 12, 2016 11:05:56 am
      He would have you believe they were all Mr Dalglish' signings.

No, Mr Dalglish would have you believe they were all Mr Dalglish's signings.
      He was very clear about that.
      On numerous occasions.

Comolli never said a word about who signed who, apart from when he was looking for publicity, and then starts banging on about Suarez.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Oct 12, 2016 11:28:36 am
      Last time liverpool won a trophy were with signings of Comolli & they also played a second final too, I would not go bashing his signings that much as we have not had a trophy since...

That doesn't make them good signings though. We struggled to beat Cardiff City of all teams in the final, hardly a ground breaking performance. You honestly don't think the signings of Downing & Carroll deserve to be criticised?
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #14: Oct 12, 2016 11:46:34 am
      What a bell. He's been waiting for one of his signings to do something since he's been sacked hasn't he?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Oct 12, 2016 01:40:45 pm
      He signed Suarez [free with the money from Torres]... that'll do for me thank you very much -  I'd take 5 Carrolls with just one Suarez every day of the week - what real football fan actually gives a F**k about the£35m anyhow?  :laugh:

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Oct 12, 2016 02:30:00 pm
      Has he bollocks.

He was responsible for signing 8 players, we currently have 1 of them left at the club for one reason or another.

Carroll 35m - Suarez 22.8m - Downing 20m - Henderson 16m - Enrique 7m - Adam 9m - Coates 7m - Doni 0m
      Carroll - joke of a transfer.
      Downing - joke of a transfer
      Enrique - decent but only got 2 seasons out of him
      Adam - dog sh*t
      Coates - pretty sh*t really
      Doni - meh

Bellamy was re-signed when Comolli was here but Bellamy has said that was because of Dalglish. Klopp would LOVE Bellamy in his prime :D.

The swiftness at which Benitez sold Bellamy in 2007 made me believe we should have done so much more to ensure he stayed. For sure, with Torres bought that summer his appearances up top would be challenged and limited but dear god we could have done with him as an extra option. Torres was injured enough times and I'm sure with quality strikers in depth we would have won the title in 2008/2009 rather than relying on the horror spectacle that was David N'Gog.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #17: Oct 12, 2016 04:59:35 pm
      To be fair, Henderson was F***ing awful in that first season.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Oct 12, 2016 06:43:04 pm
      Who gives a F**k, I don't, in the history of a football club some signings will be sh*te some will become legends, he, Comolli was part responsible for mostly sh*te signings, nothing to concern ourselves with here,
      Comolli came and went, never left anything but a bad f***in smell, like I said who gives a F**k, if anything, it just proves FSG knew F**k all about football, still don't.

YNWA
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #19: Oct 12, 2016 07:09:30 pm
      To be fair, Henderson was F***ing awful in that first season.

Yup spent more time preening himself on the pitch than anything else.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #20: Oct 13, 2016 08:03:51 am
      To be fair, Henderson was f**king awful in that first season.

If I remember right he was played on the right wing and as you say he was f**king awful.He has come right now so all is well.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #21: Oct 13, 2016 09:09:40 am
      To be fair, Henderson was f**king awful in that first season.

To be fair, Ive seen a few players like that in their first season

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #22: Oct 13, 2016 04:33:56 pm
      If I remember right he was played on the right wing and as you say he was f**king awful.He has come right now so all is well.

To be fair, Ive seen a few players like that in their first season

Indeed. He's come a long way since.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #23: Oct 13, 2016 05:26:55 pm
      There's no middle ground with Damian Comolli.

For every Suarez or Modric he brought to the Premier League, he'd buy shockers like Downing and Carroll.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Oct 13, 2016 05:59:26 pm
      Sure he has already said this not that long ago...
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #25: Oct 13, 2016 10:20:04 pm
      He was right about Suarez and Hendo (as well as some spurs signings). Gotta give him credit for that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Oct 14, 2016 03:49:18 am
      I'm not surprised Comolli is pissed off, what the F**k do FSG know about football again?

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Oct 14, 2016 05:38:21 am
      I guess the purchase of Downing, Adam and Carroll has also contributed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Oct 14, 2016 06:14:42 pm
      I'm not surprised Comolli is pissed off, what the f**k do FSG know about football again?

To be fair, Hendo was proper sh*te at first, didn't take a football genius to see that.
      Although, other than Suarez, none of our signings around then made a good first impression so I'm not shocked in the slightest he got the sack.
      Think Comoli is just trying for the "I told you so" angle to try and make himself look better because Hendo just happened to up his game after a couple of seasons.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #29: Oct 15, 2016 12:22:50 pm
      I tend to disagree with people labelling Comolli/Kenny signings terrible because their season in charge was finally a failure.

Seriously, if you have the occasion rewatch any of the 12 or so first games of  2011-12 season, or any of the big games prior to Lucas injury, we were playing really impressive attacking football, like we hadn't in ages, creating tons of chances (if finishing wasn't there, with an all-time record for shoots on wood), with much maligned players like Downing, Carrol and Adam in the team, Hendo playing out of position, etc...

The ultimate failure in the league that season wasn't due to an absolute lack of quality from those players but more to a big confidence crisis after failing to get desserved results for their early efforts, the Suarez ban, and Lucas injury. Crisis that affected Benitez signings and Gerrard as well.

Not to say we should have kept Comolli. He certainly failed to negociate good prices for most of his signings (he never recovered from the big mistake at the start of his spell, the money we offered for Carroll, that gave us the reputation of being ready to pay fortunes for barely proven talent, leading every other club to hardball us in negociations). But I don't think he (or Kenny who ultimately supported every one of his choices and paid for it) was that crap as a scout. He/they made some risky bets, mostly due to the buy english policy the club had at this time (policy that may or not have been a choice of owners, or Dalglish, more than his own, we'll never know), and we lacked the bit of luck most of these ones would have needed to succeed, that's all.

That said, Comolli popping every year or so to tell us how he was unjustly treated starts to become tiring, for his own good he should certainly turn the page, as he's more and more only remembered for having failed in the biggest job he got (while he could certainly have some credit for his previous ones, signing people like Bale and Boateng at Totenham, for example).
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2016 12:35:26 pm by TonioLerouge »

Quick Reply