Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Comolli: "I was sacked for buying Jordan Henderson"

Read 4201 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,190 posts | 1271 
      Re: Comolli: "I was sacked for buying Jordan Henderson"
      Reply #23: Oct 13, 2016 05:26:55 pm
      There's no middle ground with Damian Comolli.

For every Suarez or Modric he brought to the Premier League, he'd buy shockers like Downing and Carroll.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Oct 13, 2016 05:59:26 pm
      Sure he has already said this not that long ago...
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #25: Oct 13, 2016 10:20:04 pm
      He was right about Suarez and Hendo (as well as some spurs signings). Gotta give him credit for that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #26: Oct 14, 2016 03:49:18 am
      I'm not surprised Comolli is pissed off, what the F**k do FSG know about football again?

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Oct 14, 2016 05:38:21 am
      I guess the purchase of Downing, Adam and Carroll has also contributed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Oct 14, 2016 06:14:42 pm
      I'm not surprised Comolli is pissed off, what the f**k do FSG know about football again?

To be fair, Hendo was proper sh*te at first, didn't take a football genius to see that.
      Although, other than Suarez, none of our signings around then made a good first impression so I'm not shocked in the slightest he got the sack.
      Think Comoli is just trying for the "I told you so" angle to try and make himself look better because Hendo just happened to up his game after a couple of seasons.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #29: Oct 15, 2016 12:22:50 pm
      I tend to disagree with people labelling Comolli/Kenny signings terrible because their season in charge was finally a failure.

Seriously, if you have the occasion rewatch any of the 12 or so first games of  2011-12 season, or any of the big games prior to Lucas injury, we were playing really impressive attacking football, like we hadn't in ages, creating tons of chances (if finishing wasn't there, with an all-time record for shoots on wood), with much maligned players like Downing, Carrol and Adam in the team, Hendo playing out of position, etc...

The ultimate failure in the league that season wasn't due to an absolute lack of quality from those players but more to a big confidence crisis after failing to get desserved results for their early efforts, the Suarez ban, and Lucas injury. Crisis that affected Benitez signings and Gerrard as well.

Not to say we should have kept Comolli. He certainly failed to negociate good prices for most of his signings (he never recovered from the big mistake at the start of his spell, the money we offered for Carroll, that gave us the reputation of being ready to pay fortunes for barely proven talent, leading every other club to hardball us in negociations). But I don't think he (or Kenny who ultimately supported every one of his choices and paid for it) was that crap as a scout. He/they made some risky bets, mostly due to the buy english policy the club had at this time (policy that may or not have been a choice of owners, or Dalglish, more than his own, we'll never know), and we lacked the bit of luck most of these ones would have needed to succeed, that's all.

That said, Comolli popping every year or so to tell us how he was unjustly treated starts to become tiring, for his own good he should certainly turn the page, as he's more and more only remembered for having failed in the biggest job he got (while he could certainly have some credit for his previous ones, signing people like Bale and Boateng at Totenham, for example).
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2016 12:35:26 pm by TonioLerouge »

Quick Reply