Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Our difficult 8 game start is over - and now...

Read 13402 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Our difficult 8 game start is over - and now...
      Oct 18, 2016 12:18:45 pm
      So the tricky start to the season is over? And it turned out to not be so tricky after all.  We've got 17 points out of 24 - somewhat surprisingly.

So now on to what was supposed to the least difficult quarter of our season.  Hopefully we'll get back to our attacking best.  Hopefully it will be more like the Hull and Leicester home games less like last night.

Although we can watch other teams taking points off each other - we will face a lot of teams, like United, who want to take a point from our games.

So does that make you optimistic or nervous?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Re: Our difficult 8 game start is over - and now...
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2016 12:25:58 pm
      Apart from Saints away that fixture list is looking really good and if we carry on the way we have been playing it should make sure we are in the mix post Christmas.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2016 01:14:55 pm
      We'll win some, lose some and draw some, same as all the other teams listed.  So long as we take 16 points minimum from the 8 it keeps us on track for remaining up near the main challengers.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,244 posts | 4930 
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2016 01:42:55 pm
      I'm hugely optimistic.

I haven't seen much from any team in this league to trouble us too much of we play to our best.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2016 04:10:54 pm
      To be honest we have no fear going into the next 8 games, it would not surprise me if we take 24 points 8 games, that's what winners & challengers do...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2016 04:15:58 pm
      Best case scenario there is the other 6 teams dropping a combined 36 points between them.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2016 04:17:58 pm
      Eight games, eight wins followed by an absolute mauling of those bitter blue bas**rds in December.

Do all that and we should have enough points to ensure we're safe from relegation.
      +10
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2016 05:33:56 pm
      More than optimistic.

If I had the choice of being where we are now or starting the season again with what we've had already ... I would take now.

Last night ?  Clean sheet . No loss.

and now   the next please ...... ah its Mr Pulis.

Third favourite @  13/2 to be sacked after Moyse and Karanka .
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2016 07:18:34 pm by MIRO »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2016 05:47:09 pm
      Winning the league.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2016 06:14:55 pm
      We will be on 41pts by the end of that.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10: Oct 18, 2016 06:30:04 pm
      I have concerns about our ability to handle teams that press us. Other managers are going to look at last night and look to replicate it. What everyone assumes to be the least trickiest part of our season so far may end up being the trickiest if we don't learn to cope with counter pressing. That being said, not every side is going to have the quality of De Gea in goal. Nonetheless, we need to find a way to break down teams that stifle us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2016 06:49:00 pm
      I have concerns about our ability to handle teams that press us. Other managers are going to look at last night and look to replicate it. What everyone assumes to be the least trickiest part of our season so far may end up being the trickiest if we don't learn to cope with counter pressing. That being said, not every side is going to have the quality of De Gea in goal. Nonetheless, we need to find a way to break down teams that stifle us.

Yeah because it's so easy to press effectively when you have never done it.

I would love more teams to try and press us so we can play through them.

The reason why we had issues last night was a lack of Lallana and Wijnaldum who turn with the ball on the run to break through the press and Sturridge, he was woeful at keeping hold of the ball and because he offered no threat their CB's effectively pushed up squeezing the play and making it more difficult to break out.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2016 07:19:10 pm

True, if you think our level of performance remains constant and cannot improve.

But the message from the team and the boss is that what we showed last night wasn't good enough. As we continue to work together, the ability to break these teams down will develop.

I'd be worried if Klopp was in his 3rd or 4th season and we are having this problem. Barely a year in and only one pre-season to work with the players and we've already improved out of sight. We're in a good way.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2016 09:55:07 pm
      Should be kicking on here and dropping no more than 4 points from these next games.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2016 09:55:44 pm

The reason why we had issues last night was a lack of Lallana and Wijnaldum who turn with the ball on the run to break through the press and Sturridge, he was woeful at keeping hold of the ball and because he offered no threat their CB's effectively pushed up squeezing the play and making it more difficult to break out.

I understand that but what I'm saying is we need to learn how to cope without them, because there are going to be times when they're unavailable and our entire system cannot break down because of it. I'm sure it's an equal concern of Klopp's and I'm sure he and his team will be looking at how to combat it.

True, if you think our level of performance remains constant and cannot improve.

But the message from the team and the boss is that what we showed last night wasn't good enough. As we continue to work together, the ability to break these teams down will develop.

I'd be worried if Klopp was in his 3rd or 4th season and we are having this problem. Barely a year in and only one pre-season to work with the players and we've already improved out of sight. We're in a good way.

I said I was concerned. Clearly he's concerned as well. That's not to say I think it will go undressed, simply to say the games against the smaller clubs might not be as an easy a ride as some make out. As you say, he's new so there's bound to be bumps in the road.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2016 09:57:26 pm
      Chavs and Mancs with the toughest run of games coming up.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2016 10:12:00 pm
      Should be kicking on here and dropping no more than 4 points from these next games.

I'm still very aware of our last 2 league finishes. 16 points is the benchmark we want to make sure we get.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2016 10:18:10 pm
      I'm still very aware of our last 2 league finishes. 16 points is the benchmark we want to make sure we get.

Good, point hard not to get carried away and just look at the games as individual ones were you think 'we should win that' for pretty much them all. Then again, I say that against every team in the league at this moment.

Nice to have a little faith in the team again at least.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2016 10:36:15 pm

It's a good point mate, Swansea pressed us well for the opening 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago and the lads struggled last night in the first half with similar tactics although I wouldn't call it a press as such, they played a high line but looked to screen short balls into our midfield, more of a high block than a press. To answer your question I think we would have been far better with our usual midfield three of Hendo, Lallana and Gigi. They talked about those three having rhythm & rotation on mnf last night and that's exactly what makes us so hard to defend against this season, all of our forward players are playing on the half-turn and looking to move the ball quickly hence Can looked so out of place last night.

Last season we certainly struggled against some Of the lesser sides but the signs are better this time around so I think we'll be alright. I fancy us to do well over the next 8 and I'd be surprised if we don't tally up a similar points total to the first 8. My. Ingest concern would be the new keeper who hasn't impressed in his first couple of games. Hopefully he settles and finds some assertiveness, so far he reminds me of a goalkeeping Moreno.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2016 10:40:57 pm

Swansea did a pretty good job of pressing us in the first half of the game at the Liberty a couple of weeks back, it's certainly a tactic I'd be looking to employ if I was an opposing manager, particularly with a new keeper and a player like Lovren who isn't the most gifted technically under pressure. If we are up there come the next transfer window I do think it would be worthwhile trying to bring in another Mane type of player I.e a player with pace and trickery who is not averse to getting on to the ball over the top.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2016 10:52:32 pm
      Swansea did a pretty good job of pressing us in the first half of the game at the Liberty a couple of weeks back, it's certainly a tactic I'd be looking to employ if I was an opposing manager, particularly with a new keeper and a player like Lovren who isn't the most gifted technically under pressure. If we are up there come the next transfer window I do think it would be worthwhile trying to bring in another Mane type of player I.e a player with pace and trickery who is not averse to getting on to the ball over the top.

Spurs and Saints are the only teams that press as a unit, although City, Swans and Arse do on occasions.

So majority of teams don't press and it's not something that can be set up a week before playing us.

Swansea did well for a half against us but they could not sustain it, the Mancs also did try on the first half but again could not sustain it. We probably helped them mind with our awful passing.

I think we have that speedy striker in Origi who can also use his strength to hold up the ball to release to the midfield runners.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2016 11:42:01 pm
      Every team in the league can set up to press us and unbalance us, to knock us off our stride but they can't do it for 90 minutes.

We can.

Course there'll be games like Burnley where they manage to score and shut up shop but Swansea couldn't, neither could the scum.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1220 
      Reply #22: Oct 19, 2016 12:16:57 am
      Think we need to be a little more careful away from home, particularly in the early stages, to prevent a shut up shop scenario and take advantage of our superior fitness.

Other concerns are the goalie. Not convinced Karius is any better than Mignolet (although early days and all that). You can imagine what Pulis (for example) will be thinking and we need to plan for that.

Very confident though overall and it will be especially interesting to see the standings after the next 8 games, with everybody having played a good number of the top 7.

Quick Reply