Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre Match : Liverpool v West Brom : Saturday 22nd Oct : 5.30pm

Read 9341 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Re: Pre Match : Liverpool v West Brom : Saturday 22nd Oct : 5.30pm
      Reply #23: Oct 20, 2016 12:16:19 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #24: Oct 20, 2016 12:51:01 pm
      I think you give Moreno too much credence in his ability to generate anything going forward, smashing ball across the penalty area has not so far yielded much success!

If Milner needs a rest I would rather have AA Trent in the side although I note he played for the U23's the other night.

Edit: I am a huge fan of Danny but saying he didn't get the ball is nonsense as the fact is his first touch was atrocious and he hardly made any attempt to find space - jogging around against Utd will never cut the mustard.

I'm arguably Moreno's biggest critic, I actually can't stand him. The one and ONLY thing he has going for him though is pace. Its something Milner can't offer us I'm afraid. Milner naturally drifts inside on his stronger foot too and that's the last thing we need in a game like this. WBA will be very narrow playing with three centre halves. What Moreno can or can't do on the ball doesn't particularly matter, it's more about the positions he will find himself in which will then create space for others. Having Moreno hog that touch line with the threat of his pace to get in behind the WBA defence is only going to drag their defenders over which is going to give the likes of Coutinho more time/space on the ball. So playing Moreno in this game accommodates our other players more, in my opinion anyway.

I posted in the manc thread stating my season ticket seat is at the back of the upper cenny and you can see the movement of the players clearly, you have a birds eye view basically.  Danny has come in for some unfair criticism in my opinion - he had no support, nobody got near him. The quality we had in the middle of the park was atrocious - neither Hendo or Can got their foot on the ball. We had nothing out wide either, I don't remember Mane touching the ball and Firmino wasn't much better. Sturridge was completely isolated. We could have had Suarez and it would have been the exact same.  The few times he was involved I agree his touch wasn't great, but neither was anybody elses. We weren't better when sturridge came off & firmino lead the line, we were better because Lallana came on and we needed somebody who was going to move and get on the ball in the middle.  Do you think if that emre Can chance fell to Sturridge he would have fluffed it? No chance. That's 1-0 and the game is won. That's why we play Danny in a game like this.

We might only get one chance like that on Saturday and who in our squad do we want it to fall too?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Oct 20, 2016 03:02:30 pm
      You can't press against a team that doesn't play football. We will have 70% possession on Saturday, WBA will be more than happy to sit 10 behind the ball and watch us play sideways football again.

Completely gobsmacked at how much criticism Danny has received after United. He wasn't involved no, but we didn't get the ball into him and the nearest team mate was always 25 yards away from him. The opening post is all wrong, this is EXACTLY the type of game we need Danny in. Its ones where we press and play at a high tempo that its best to go with Firmino. In these type of games we need quality and Danny is one of few players we have who has that quality. Energy, tempo, pressing isn't enough. We need top class players on the ball who have the ability to unlock a defence with a pass or who can finish half a chance if given the opportunity. Danny has to play.

We need pace out wide and trickery in the middle. I'd give Milner and well earned rest for this one and go with Moreno. Apart from a few set pieces we won't have much defending to do so get Albert on and tell him to hog that touch line an give us some width. Clyne needs to get forward much more than he did on Monday too.  Mane starts obviously and on the left I'd go with Firmino. He is quicker than Coutinho + Phil is better on the ball than him so for this type of fixture Phil needs to be in the middle. Henderson sits with Lallana the other player - we were far too static with Can in there the other night so have Lallana and Coutinho moving about getting on the ball causing havoc, making forward runs and supporting Danny.

Karius

Clyne       Lovren     Matip     Moreno

Coutinho  Hendo  Lallana

Mane              Sturridge             Firmino

I'm pretty sure Milner wouldn't want that well earned rest :D. If he's fit then I would expect him to start, there's no reason for him not to. I don't think Gini should be risked if he's not 100%, I'd go with your lineup (Milner for Moreno though). If he is fit then we may well see he come in for Sturridge.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Oct 20, 2016 03:14:52 pm
      What i would do but know it won't happen:

Karius

Milner     Matip     Lovren     Moreno

Lucas

Lallana     Wijnaldum

Mane          Firmino          Coutinho

Clyne's delivery is sh*t and he won't have the space to run in behind so i say whack Milner there and use his delivery. Same for Moreno on the left.

Hendo won't play a killer pass and Lucas controls the game from deep.

Like i said, wont happen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #27: Oct 20, 2016 07:31:30 pm
      Full squad available?

Klopp's press conference today - love him not being arsed by Mourinho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flq0vcQkgbk
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #28: Oct 20, 2016 07:39:19 pm
      I wonder if we'll see Ings get a few minutes here with an eye to him starting against Spurs in the League Cup?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: Oct 20, 2016 07:59:16 pm
      I wonder if we'll see Ings get a few minutes here with an eye to him starting against Spurs in the League Cup?

He's more than deserved an appearance in one of the next two games. He's not moaned or caused a fuss, he's simply got his head down, played some really good football for the u23's and seems to have enjoyed every minute of it from what I've seen.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #30: Oct 20, 2016 08:06:46 pm
      Pace no good against a team who sits back so Moreno not suited as his passing or delivery not upto it. Needs patience and  creative players Couts in hole Sturridge up front and in the box  not coming and collecting half way line
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #31: Oct 20, 2016 09:13:52 pm
      What i would do but know it won't happen:

Karius

Milner     Matip     Lovren     Moreno

Lucas

Lallana     Wijnaldum

Mane          Firmino          Coutinho

Clyne's delivery is sh*t and he won't have the space to run in behind so i say whack Milner there and use his delivery. Same for Moreno on the left.

Hendo won't play a killer pass and Lucas controls the game from deep.

Like i said, wont happen.

You are right. It won't happen. :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #32: Oct 20, 2016 09:45:37 pm
      He's more than deserved an appearance in one of the next two games. He's not moaned or caused a fuss, he's simply got his head down, played some really good football for the u23's and seems to have enjoyed every minute of it from what I've seen.

Been banging in the goals as well .
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #33: Oct 21, 2016 09:36:24 am
      Keep the momentum going, no need to make changes to what we've seen work all season. I do enjoy this "well I think if we bring in Sakho on the right wing" and "I think Lucas could do a real job up front to neutralise their centre back"

Some excellent team selections so far ;D

Karius
      Clyne     Matip      Lovren    Milner
             Henderson     Wijnaldum
                        Lallana
      Mane          Firmino        Coutinho

Get an early goal and we'll smash them. 4-0.

biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #34: Oct 21, 2016 10:36:24 am
      Will be a tough game and all depends on getting that first goal, if it comes early happy days, if not hopefully the lads wont get frustrated and will stick to the game plan. We have enough to beat Pulis
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Oct 21, 2016 10:40:50 am

A valuable and well thought out response.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #36: Oct 21, 2016 12:16:35 pm

What more do you want Crouchie? :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #37: Oct 21, 2016 12:21:52 pm
      Stoke have won 1 away game this season which was at Crystal Palace at the start of the season.
      By all accounts they were battered by Spurs at home last week but still got a draw so although they don't score much as you would expect from a Pulis team they are difficult to beat.

We just need to keep patient and focussed and not getting caught out by a sucker punch.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #38: Oct 21, 2016 01:17:21 pm
      We have enough to wipe the floor with this lot..
      I trust Jürgen to put a team out that is capable of collecting 3 more valuable points on our way to the top of the tree.

Despite that shithouse performance from the mancs the other night it didn't waiver my belief that we are getting stronger and stronger as the season progress's.

3-0

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #39: Oct 21, 2016 02:52:54 pm
      Not sure about the rest of the side but  I'd play Ings (Wolverine) in this game. Let him try to crash their bus for 90 minutes.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Oct 21, 2016 03:53:48 pm
      I appreciate the interest in seeing Ings play more, but I really do not expect it. He might be on the bench for Spurs, but he's still fourth-choice for one spot. Firmino is likely there Saturday and Sturridge on Tuesday, with Origi off the bench. I like Ings too, but the math isn't good for him at the moment.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #41: Oct 21, 2016 04:33:13 pm

I did my best. ;)
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #42: Oct 21, 2016 06:27:31 pm
      Stoke have won 1 away game this season which was at Crystal Palace at the start of the season.
      By all accounts they were battered by Spurs at home last week but still got a draw so although they don't score much as you would expect from a Pulis team they are difficult to beat.

We just need to keep patient and focussed and not getting caught out by a sucker punch.

Wouldn't worry to much about Stoke, more interested in the match against West Brom.  ;D
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #43: Oct 21, 2016 06:36:35 pm

Wouldn't worry to much about Stoke, more interested in the match against West Brom.  ;D

Haha!  Easy mistake to make though! 

Same thing in different coloured stripes...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #44: Oct 21, 2016 06:50:48 pm

Haha just noticed that, think of Pulis and Stoke comes to mind straight away!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #45: Oct 21, 2016 07:59:12 pm
      Not sure about the rest of the side but  I'd play Ings (Wolverine) in this game. Let him try to crash their bus for 90 minutes.

He probably deserves a game, but who do you drop? If Gini isn't fully fit, then perhaps Ings comes in with Coutinho dropping into midfield, but if he is fit then the team picks itself and Ings isn't in it....

Quick Reply