Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Brom?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.8%)
      Emre Can
      3 (2.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      11 (9.6%)
      Sadio Mane
      17 (14.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      60 (52.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      18 (15.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Oct 26, 2016 07:20:24 pm

Liverpool 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18346 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Oct 23, 2016 11:57:13 am
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #300: Oct 23, 2016 11:59:14 am
      I'm glad I missed that tidbit of commentary or I'd have lost my sh*t. Winds me up no end when commentators and/or pundits don't do their homework before going on live TV to share their opinions and end up embarrassing themselves. You're right, they should be talking about that but it wouldn't make for interesting reading in their mind so they focus on other stuff instead.

I'm with you on that!

I did lose my sh*t mate. 

It's the same with the narrative about our defense.  Ok we do struggle with set piece deliveries and crosses but then they have been good deliveries so every defense would struggle against them. 

Ok we did concede 5 goals in our first 2 games but we've only conceded 6 in the following 9 and as Luke keeps saying we're restricting every team to very few chances to score.  That's a fantastic achievement from where we were this time last year and if we keep that up over the rest of the season, maybe they'll start to take notice that we don't concede too many.

What was it Jürgen said yesterday, a clean sheet would be nice but 3 points is better and as somebody pointed out yesterday all those golden gloves that Pepe won didn't help us win much trophy wise.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #301: Oct 23, 2016 12:57:43 pm
      That was a fantastic 80 minutes when we get it going like that there is no team in Europe that can keep up.

Made me chuckle proper when one of the BT commentary wankers kept on banging on about we looked good but needed to do it against the better sides conveniently neglected that we went to London and got 7 out of 9 points from top 4 rivals.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #302: Oct 23, 2016 01:15:49 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #303: Oct 23, 2016 01:38:40 pm
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #304: Oct 23, 2016 05:29:39 pm
      I've watched the replay of the game and it's not easy playing against a team of 4 in defence and 5 across midfield and yet we scored 2 great goals and it's a very good performance. If WBA had played it any differently, they would have been murdered. On another day we would have scored more than 2 goals. No worries, we missed a few clear chances here and there, on another we will score and I hope it is against the top teams and eventually everything balance off. As Klopp said, MU was a good practice for us and now WBA was even a better one. I'll take it positively, if teams continue to park the bus, we'll continue to improve how to break teams down.

I'll still stick to the opinion that we must take it one game at a time and not look too far ahead. Beating easy teams is as important as beating the top teams. I have the hunch that teams fearing playing us now because we are now beginning to perform like the 70s and 80s Red Machine and that will continue to improve under Klopp and Buvac.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #305: Oct 24, 2016 02:20:27 am

Have him work at the Academy while he pursues his badges.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #306: Oct 24, 2016 02:27:53 am
      I misread these smiley things all the time :D.

I've read a few match reports from the game and small parts of the one in the Sunday Express made me laugh this morning.

Big headline at top of the page: "KLOPP FAILS TO LAND TOP SPOT: Defensive lapse costs Liverpool." Did we lose? :D.

Then some snippets: "Like Tottenham and Arsenal, they missed a chance to stamp their authority on the title race." Didn't all those wins against the 'big' teams do that for us anyway?

"Tony Pulis lacks Jose Mourinho's charisma and silverware but the Albion boss seemed to have borrowed the United manager's gameplan." Mourinho has charisma? Also, Pulis has used dinosaur tactics for many a year.

"The cheers at the final whistle were ones of relief." Yep, relief. Absolutely nothing to do with the fact we won the game and went joint top? Of course not :roll:

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching our football. I couldn't be any happier about the results or the performances. Our front 3 is a group that is so entertaining and interesting to watch, forever interchanging, forever making it easier for the others to play to their full potential, sharing the goals and assists etc. and their work rate on the pitch is insane. I read something along the lines of Coutinho having 6 ball recoveries yesterday and that the others had decent figures too. I actually clapped at my TV when Firmino ran 80+ yards back to our own box to try and win the ball back, you guessed it, he did.

It helps so much that Klopp is a people person/manager, it's so easy to see how the players really want to play for him.

Especially agree about the lack of homework by the media. The English comm on the American channel, Arlo White, told us last week that Karius is Hungarian. He also told us Saturday that he was surprised Milner wasn't moved to midfield when Wijnaldum was injured, as if playing Milner at left back is still some kind of experiment. Just show up at the match and start talking is how the job works, I guess.

Nick1988
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #307: Oct 24, 2016 07:44:38 am
      Excellent play 8)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #308: Oct 24, 2016 08:38:28 am
      We are genuine title contenders this year, even if the media is reluctant to admit it.
      To be fair the media weren't/aren't the only ones either reluctant to admit it or are slow to praise our players Harry ... a quick look at the 'what's expected' threads will verify that.  ;)

As for a reluctance of our fans to praise our own... just look at how the Professor of Kloppology has constantly ridiculed the Captain. But hey, he's all over telling us how few shots we've conceded so all's okay.  :roll:

Me? I'm loving it... fancied us for the league and said so.

The result may have been by the narrowest of margins but it could have been by more and the only number which counts is the 3. ;D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #309: Oct 24, 2016 10:02:45 am
      Very good performance and we dominated the whole game. Once you score an early goal then you are in complete control in a fixture like this. WBA still didn't come out or have a go and they were still relying on set pieces. I feel sorry for their fans, it must be horrible having Pulis as a manager. Surely you would prefer to go down by playing football and having a go rather than staying up every season finishing 13th or 14th and watching that sh*te every week.  But enough about them, we were a lot more crisp on Saturday than we were on Monday, a lot more movement, better passing, more effort, sharper, winning every 50-50, every second ball. We were very good. Well done Klopp and the boys, another fine performance/result.

Karius - Probably the only weak link on Saturday. He had very little to do but when he was called upon he made a mess of things. He looks short of confidence.  I can't believe Im saying this but Id consider putting Mignolet back in for the time being. I think its only a matter of time before Karius costs us dearly.

Clyne - Much, much better. You can always rely on him to defend well but he pushed forward a lot more and delivered some great crosses into the box. He had a good game.

Matip - Signing of the summer. He wins everything. Reminds me so much of Sami. Big, strong, reads the game well.

Lovren - You don't even notice Lovren as much now that Matip is in there. Because Matip dominates and wins everything the other centre half can go on a weeks holiday if they wanted. Lovren was fine though, no mistakes, did nothing wrong, played well.

Milner - I thought we would need some natural width in this game and if WBA got a point or even worse got a win then I imagined Milner in particular would get a lot of stick from us. I thought he contributed to our attack quite well though - the early goal obviously helped and settled us, we could control the game from thereon.

Can - He was better than he was on Monday but he still looks a mile off the pace which is perhaps understandable. He missed a couple of great chances which could have wrapped the game up too.

Henderson - Although he wasn't absolutely super-star like amazing, he played well and I've been very impressed with Hendo so far this season. He looks like he has matured. What I mean by that is, he is starting to take responsibility now and control the pace of the game. He is starting to dominate the midfield and playing in a deeper role suits him. He is nowhere near the finished/complete player yet but he has improved and he is starting to give consistent performances. Last season I thought it was a joke he was our skipper but at the moment I can't imagine anyone else wearing the armband. Keep it up.

Lallana - He is another one who has come on a lot. You could see the difference when he came on against United on Monday and you could see the difference when he was in our starting 11 on Saturday too. His movement and pressing at times is a joy to watch. We are a better side with Lallana in it.

Coutinho - motm by a clear mile, he completely ran the game. Our first goal all came down to his dummy which gave us a 3 on 3 attack v defence. His goal was brilliant too. He set up 2 maybe 3 golden opportunities, put them on a plate to be finished, but we didn't take our chances. It could have been 4 or 5 and Coutinho would have been involved in all of them. I thought he was fantastic.

Mane - I don't think he was as electric as he was earlier on in the season but again another decent performance and he offers us something different. Like Lallana, we are a better side with Mane in it and we may struggle if he picks up a knock. Great finish for his goal.

Firmino - Lead the line well, worked hard, involved himself in our play. I prefer him to play on the left and believe that's his best position but he had another good game on Saturday.

I'd have liked to have given Danny some minutes because he is obviously short on confidence at the moment. We need to sort these set pieces out at the back too, we've been cursed with this for years. Towards the end of the game I had that familiar feeling of we are going to concede another and throw this away.  Top performance though, well played reds.

Im 28 years old, and in my lifetime I have only ever thought we were going to win the league twice. The first time was when we went to Spurs a couple of seasons ago, it was start of December I think. We won 5-0 (it was the game Flanno scored a belter). As soon as the referee blew up I said we are going to win the league.  Ok, we never did, we finished second but it went down to the last game of the season and that's the closest we've ever come in my lifetime. 

The second time I've felt like that was after WBA on Saturday. We are going to win that title this season.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016 10:19:00 am by HamannsTheMan »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #310: Oct 24, 2016 10:40:48 am
      Especially agree about the lack of homework by the media. The English comm on the American channel, Arlo White, told us last week that Karius is Hungarian. He also told us Saturday that he was surprised Milner wasn't moved to midfield when Wijnaldum was injured, as if playing Milner at left back is still some kind of experiment. Just show up at the match and start talking is how the job works, I guess.

Hungarian :lmao: They're really not bothered about what they say live on air are they. There was a game last season in which the co-commentator was reeling off all these facts and figures about the teams playing, what periods of the game they perform best in, when they like to sit deep, the minutes played by certain players and comparing them and all sorts of other stuff. It was impressive that he knew what he was talking about and had actually bothered to research some stuff and the lead commentator turned round at one point and said "how do you know all this?" The response "I do my homework unlike some." :D. Sometimes the production team has their own research staff who are supposed to inform the commentators of certain things to make them look clever.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #311: Oct 24, 2016 10:59:14 am
      Another comment I've found from Pulis:

'Liverpool are as good as anything we have played against,' Pulis said. 'They are probably the most difficult test we have had so far. They've spent, what, £200million on those three or four front players? It's not bad, is it?

£200m? The guy has plucked that figure from his arse! Coutinho £8m, Firmino £25, Mane £30m. Somebody give the dinosaur a calculator.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #312: Oct 24, 2016 11:12:34 am
      Another comment I've found from Pulis:

'Liverpool are as good as anything we have played against,' Pulis said. 'They are probably the most difficult test we have had so far. They've spent, what, £200million on those three or four front players? It's not bad, is it?

£200m? The guy has plucked that figure from his arse! Coutinho £8m, Firmino £25, Mane £30m. Somebody give the dinosaur a calculator.

He's a bitter F**k that one is. Even at 2 down he still had 9 men behind the ball, what's the point in that, you might aswell have a go.

But we were F***ing brilliant, been saying it for a few weeks now but I really do believe that title is ours this season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #313: Oct 24, 2016 11:25:51 am
      He's a bitter f**k that one is. Even at 2 down he still had 9 men behind the ball, what's the point in that, you might aswell have a go.

Exactly. They didn't even try and come and get the ball off us.  Once you're two nil down then what have you got to lose? You might as well get beat 10-0. WBA won't be anywhere near the bottom 3 come May so does goal difference really matter to them?

Genuinely feel sorry for their supporters. It must be horrible having him as manager. For 90 minutes you're watching the team that you love sit behind the ball and the only hope of a goal is from a corner or a throw in.

They should bin him and get Holloway or somebody like that. Not guaranteed to stay up but at least you will be entertained every week.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #314: Oct 24, 2016 01:59:26 pm
      The Mourinho-Lite walked off without shaking Jürgen's hand, also.

He's a backwards c**t.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #315: Oct 24, 2016 05:44:21 pm
      Just an excellent 80 minutes the other day. Things got a little dicey after the set piece goal (of course we'd concede one), but just an overall good game form us. Great to see us breakdown a team that set out exclusively to defend. Plus we had so many chances at the end to make it 3-1 or 4-1.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #316: Oct 24, 2016 06:31:35 pm
      Hungarian :lmao: They're really not bothered about what they say live on air are they. There was a game last season in which the co-commentator was reeling off all these facts and figures about the teams playing, what periods of the game they perform best in, when they like to sit deep, the minutes played by certain players and comparing them and all sorts of other stuff. It was impressive that he knew what he was talking about and had actually bothered to research some stuff and the lead commentator turned round at one point and said "how do you know all this?" The response "I do my homework unlike some." :D. Sometimes the production team has their own research staff who are supposed to inform the commentators of certain things to make them look clever.

Yes. There's more information easily available than ever before. It really isn't that difficult to have some degree of understanding. Some of the networks here put comms in a studio in the U.S. and they watch the game on monitor. Some of these are the worst when it comes to having any idea what they are talking about. Alexi Lalas on Fox, who carry the European games over here (and FA Cup as well, I think) is god-awful. He will totally contradict himself from one match to the next about Liverpool players and make mistakes that could be avoided with a brief reading of The Echo an hour before kickoff.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #317: Oct 24, 2016 08:30:35 pm
      Gini making a good comeback, very nearly getting a neat assist.

Quick Reply