Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      10 (7.9%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (3.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (5.6%)
      Kevin Stewart
      6 (4.8%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      2 (1.6%)
      Divock Origi
      11 (8.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      82 (65.1%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Voting closed: Oct 29, 2016 09:40:30 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19298 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Oct 25, 2016 10:06:29 pm
      F***ing get in the reds!

Shame to concede but F**k all you can do about that, wasn't a pen. Main thing is, and looks a recurring theme, that no one loses their heads over conceding. For years whenever we've conceded one, the panic and hysteria has lead to self capitulation. This team don't give a sh*t and I love it!

I enjoyed our performance tonight because we showed there is a plan B (and C,D,E & F). We were much more direct and rigid than we have been this season, no interchanging and flowing possession. We were tough, solid and direct and it worked very well for us. Full credit to Sturridge and Origi for leading the line like they've been playing in a partnership for years, effortless and selfless play from both!

I said before hand that I thought the team selection shows Jürgen has his eyes on the league only and I still think that, but tonight we showed just how good our squad is, so why not start thinking of both?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #392: Oct 25, 2016 10:06:30 pm
      1. Mignolet looks better than Karius. Loris should play in the League Cup to get more experience while Mignolet plays in the PL...at least for now!
      2. Sturridge's second goal shows why he's not a class act: No good striker goes for a between-the-legs ball if you have both upper corners wide open. Not if you are a quality striker. I would have done it like Daniel, but I always panick when in front of the goalie alone and then I just shoot the ball towards the goal and hope :). Also Sounees said Daniel will never be starting striker in Liverpool because he's to lazy to run more actively?!?! (Did I get this right?)
      3. All the lads played well overall, good to know we have not to fear injuries.

Now, let's get 3 points vs. CP and I am happy.

p.s. This League Cup is a waster and disgrace when the best teams show how low they think of this Cup by playing their reserves. Rather make it 21 or 22 teams in the PL...or even better introduce Playoffs.

Not surprised you have a -17 meff.

Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #393: Oct 25, 2016 10:13:22 pm

Piss off. I have every right to be dissatisfied with the fact that a defender in his 6th season as a professional and in his 3rd season as a Liverpool player still has no sense of urgency nor an ability to sense danger whatsoever. It's the basics as a fullback when the ball is on the opposite flank you tuck in and provide cover. He had time to put himself in a good position whilst we were playing the ball on the right side of the field far away from him yet he just stood there. He's cost us goals before and this lapse of his could have cost us another one and sent us into the lottery of extra time and penalties. The boy needs to get his head out of his arse and focus.

Was I a bit harsh and rash in my response? Sure I'll accept that but the point stands. He's a liability
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #394: Oct 25, 2016 10:14:26 pm
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #395: Oct 25, 2016 10:14:36 pm
      Piss off. I have every right to be dissatisfied with the fact that a defender in his 6th season as a professional and in his 3rd season as a Liverpool player still has no sense of urgency nor an ability to sense danger whatsoever. It's the basics as a fullback when the ball is on the opposite flank you tuck in and provide cover. He had time to put himself in a good position whilst we were playing the ball on the right side of the field far away from him yet he just stood there. He's cost us goals before and this lapse of his could have cost us another one and sent us into the lottery of extra time and penalties. The boy needs to get his head out of his arse and focus.

Was I a bit harsh and rash in my response? Sure I'll accept that but the point stands. He's a liability

You should take it up with the gaffer as he is still in the squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #396: Oct 25, 2016 10:21:12 pm
      Probably the last B team we will see in this tournament now.

Pleased for the youngsters - must be a thrill playing in front of such a big crowd in a fairly big game too.  Thought they all did themselves proud.

Sturridge took his goals well, could have had some more.  Origi looked a lot better in the second half than the first IMO.

Despite all that - expect the normal line up to be resumed at the weekend - and that would be fair enough.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #397: Oct 25, 2016 10:23:22 pm

Pleased for the youngsters - must be a thrill playing in front of such a big crowd in a fairly big game too.  Thought they all did themselves proud.

Sturridge took his goals well, could have had some more.  Origi looked a lot better in the second half than the first IMO.

Despite all that - expect the normal line up to be resumed at the weekend - and that would be fair enough.

Not a bad thing when your B team has Sturridge, Lucas, Origi, Moreno, Stewart & Migs.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #398: Oct 25, 2016 10:23:33 pm
      Best thing about tonight, for me, is that we've got at least two decent teams.

Strength in depth.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #399: Oct 25, 2016 10:25:59 pm
      Really happy with that overall performance. The rotation guys impressed, and it was great to see Sturridge get a couple of goals. An in-form Sturridge is only going to be a huge benefit to us.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #400: Oct 25, 2016 10:27:12 pm
      Best thing about tonight, for me, is that we've got at least two decent teams.

Strength in depth.

About to come in and post the same mate, I didn't actually realise th depth we had until tonight if I am being honest.

Absolutely battered spurs there, could have been a lot more. Delighted for Sturridge, he's far and away our best finisher, the fact he can't get in our first XI at the moment goes to show our quality. Also pleased to see Ings back, I think he is a player very suited to Klopp, gutted he missed thst chance he had towards the end.

On to the next round!
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #401: Oct 25, 2016 10:27:49 pm

Do you reckon? We played a much stronger side than this against Derby in the last round, and there's still a lot of players to keep happy and get minutes into that won't get much of a look in the league.

I think our league form suffered because of our cup runs last season and Klopp knows that, my own opinion is that the side he put out tonight shows clearly that the league is the number one priority and we won't get side tracked. That's not to say we won't go far in this competition but it won't be our be all and end all.

Arsenal, Hull, Newcastle, Leeds/ Norwich, West Ham/Chelsea, Southampton/Sunderland, and United/City are our possibilities in the next round. It will be interesting to see who plays then.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #402: Oct 25, 2016 10:30:42 pm
      Very impressed with the work rate of the 2nd stringers and I'm sure many of them will be pushing for a 1st team start in the near future which is a healthy thing.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #403: Oct 25, 2016 10:55:41 pm
      Had to listen on the radio, if they spent 50% of the 90 minutes talking about the game, I'd be surprised.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #404: Oct 25, 2016 10:59:11 pm
      Very impressed. We have the busy period approaching fast and a lot of those lads have shown their worth tonight.

Only slight negative for me was the fact we didn't put it to bed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #405: Oct 25, 2016 11:05:07 pm
      Sturridge still quality given the opportunity

Ejario is a better player than Pogba pound for pound, age for age

He really isn't. No need to get carried away.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #406: Oct 25, 2016 11:09:32 pm
      Mignolet - 7
      Alexander-Arnold - 7
      Klavan - 7
      Lucas - 8
      Moreno - 7
      Stewart - 7
      Ejaria - 6
      Wijnaldum - 6
      Grujic - 5.5
      Origi - 7.5
      Sturridge - 8.5
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #407: Oct 25, 2016 11:23:14 pm
      Soft penalty yes - but watch the legs of Lucas and Klavan and you can tell which one is a defender.

https://streamable.com/km1b
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #408: Oct 25, 2016 11:49:50 pm
      Thoroughly enjoyed the game tonight. To make 11 changes and come away with a win against Spurs is great. Expected a bit more from Grujic, thought Stewart and Wijnaldum were very good. Sturridge was excellent as was Origi. Don't know what all the overreacting with Moreno is about. I mean give the man a break. From what I saw he had a solid game. Ya, out of position on occasion but there were a few mistakes made by other players and nothing said. Does he need to be perfect every time he plays? Support the lad for fucks sake.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Tottenham
      Reply #409: Oct 26, 2016 12:02:46 am
      Other than 15 minutes or so in this match we have controlled the game, if not for some fabulous saves it would be 4-1, and still teams are only scoring off us from pens and corners.

when is the last time we gave up a goal from open play?

When is the last time we lost a match?

If clubs can only score off of us from penalties and corners I will take that.

scoring against us is scoring against us, and it is disappointing as is is usually down to obvious errors that do not seem to be going away, not sure why your asking when was the last time we lost a match? i for one want us to win and win every match

reality is that these mistakes will at some point be more crucial and telling and it is something that needs addressing.

good result, lets kick on and go on a winning run
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #410: Oct 26, 2016 12:43:20 am
      Terrific match tonight at Anfield. Pleasure to have been there. The crowd was fantastic (first time in the new main stand - impressed!) and the players did the job that was required. A thoroughly satisfying nights work. Voice hoarse, looking forward to a nice sleep!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #411: Oct 26, 2016 01:28:20 am
      Soft penalty yes - but watch the legs of Lucas and Klavan and you can tell which one is a defender.

https://streamable.com/km1b

Lucas went for the ball, missed both the player and the ball both times, and conceded a penalty. Watch the legs all day and you will see how bad that decision was.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #412: Oct 26, 2016 01:41:27 am
      scoring against us is scoring against us, and it is disappointing as is is usually down to obvious errors that do not seem to be going away, not sure why your asking when was the last time we lost a match? i for one want us to win and win every match

reality is that these mistakes will at some point be more crucial and telling and it is something that needs addressing.

good result, lets kick on and go on a winning run

And we're going to lose matches and give up goals..... that's inevitable.

My point is this, if teams are scheming us with the idea of getting corners or penalties it actually goes to show how solid our defense is becoming...of course we can always improve but mistakes like that penalty are going to happen as well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #413: Oct 26, 2016 01:48:56 am
      Great result. We have to find a way to get Origi into the lineup.

Quick Reply