Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      10 (7.9%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (3.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      7 (5.6%)
      Kevin Stewart
      6 (4.8%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      2 (1.6%)
      Divock Origi
      11 (8.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      82 (65.1%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Voting closed: Oct 29, 2016 09:40:30 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19480 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Oct 26, 2016 07:49:30 am
      I saw only the first half and watched the highlights.
      Selling Sturridge would be a calamity or not playing him regularly too.  I don't think that he fits the system and plays better than those playing actually - it's clear Firmino is perfect in this role - but when we need to play differently, there are not many strikers better than Sturridge and he proved it today. Play him for 10 games and he will score AT LEAST 5 goals. That's how good I think he is. 

Origi was great too, right? In 2-4 years when Sturridge will be gone, I think that we will have another great striker in the team - Origi. He is not as lethal as Lukaku or Sturridge (yet) but he can surely score 20+ goals a season. If he plays regularly, I'm sure he can score about 12 this season.

I was disappointed by the youngsters. They did not play badly - far from that - but they were not as good as I thought they would be.

We can win this cup! :scarf:

Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #415: Oct 26, 2016 08:01:16 am
      In the end, a deserved victory.

But reading others response I feel I was watching a different game completely?

Spurs started the match much better, where quick in passing, pressing us hard and our midfield couldn't get a foothold in the game. Out f nowhere, a poachers goal from Studge and we are 1-0 up. Boom.

We started to get more into it as half grew, a few chances here or there, but felt out defence looked nervy when pressed (thought it shown how much of an improvement Matip has on team)

Second half we came out much. 'Much better. Here is when we had our best chances, our counter was more like the first team, and we had them against the ropes. Gutted for Ings not to bury his chance, thought he was excellent when he came on.

The players that disappointed me was Stewart and Gruiric. I don't know how Stewart got a game TBH, got caught in possession a fair few times, not strong enough against a robust spurs team. Would definitely have Brannagan ahead of him.

Marko on the other hand, just looked rusty. I have high hopes for the lad, but tonight he got a bit overawed I think.

Overall, a tricky tie which we passed through. Wouldn't mind an easier tie next round to play a few more fringe players till
      We get to semis and the 'big heads' come back into play.

(Heard Souness mention bug heads comment pre match, loved it)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #416: Oct 26, 2016 08:58:10 am
      Soft penalty yes - but watch the legs of Lucas and Klavan and you can tell which one is a defender.

https://streamable.com/km1b

He had a hack at Lamela about 3 times, making contact once and even though Lamela went down easily there was no need for Lucas to give the referee a decision to make as Lamela was going away from goal.

Very poor decision making from our most experienced player, who otherwise had a decent game.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #417: Oct 26, 2016 09:14:46 am
      When I saw our line up I wasn't best pleased or confident. But then I saw their team. That said, quite a few of our lads really impressed me last night and at times, the football was a joy to watch.

Mignolet - He made one or two really good stops. The only error I remember him making was in the first half when Spurs had a free kick. They clipped the ball to the back post and Mignolet was nowhere near it as usual. I remember there being a bit of a gasp from the crowd as we knew we were a bit lucky to get away with it.

TAA - I'll be unpopular for saying this but I wasn't that impressed. It's the first time I've seen him play but he looked nervous to me, especially early on. He gave the ball away a few times and there were one or two rash tackles - which he got booked for. He did grow into the game a bit to be fair to him but Im sure there will be posters going over the top because he's a local lad when in reality he had a very average game.

Lucas - Calm, composed, reads the game so well. He was solid. Very good performance.

Klavan - He made a couple of small errors but in general I thought he played well too. He did lose possession a couple of times but overall I thought he brought the ball out from the back well and was neat and tidy with his passing. Defended well.

Moreno - He did ok. The difference with him and somebody like Clyne for example is that Clyne knows when to push on and when to hold his position. Moreno doesn't. Sometimes he bombs down that wing when it isn't safe too. That was my only criticism of him last night, sometimes he was just out of position a little bit but other than that he was fine.

Stewart - For me, he was man of the match in the first 45mins. Seemed to disappear in the second half though.

Wijnaldum - Now he was motm. I know Sturridge bagged two goals but Wij was everywhere. I don't know if it came across that way watching it on the telly but let me tell you, he covered every blade of grass last night. I thought he was superb.

Ejaria - I've seen some people say he had a good game. I personally thought he was a bit of a passenger and was the quietest out of our midfield four.

Grujic - He took a bit of time to get into the game. Towards the end of the first half and in the second half he did so and he played well.

Origi - Big, powerful, strong. Held the ball up well. Used his pace to get in behind a couple of times and put some great chances on a plate for Sturridge. He did well.

Sturridge - He actually had a poor game by his standards. Missed a couple of sitters, wasn't involved in our play much, but he still scored two goals and won us the game.

Overall, a very good team performance. Some of them really impressed me and I wouldn't worry at all if they were called upon to play for us in the league. Very promising.

Through to the next round. Home draw please gods. Newcastle or Leeds.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #418: Oct 26, 2016 10:20:17 am
      He had a hack at Lamela about 3 times, making contact once and even though Lamela went down easily there was no need for Lucas to give the referee a decision to make as Lamela was going away from goal.

Very poor decision making from our most experienced player, who otherwise had a decent game.

Exactly my thoughts. He was just throwing his legs around and giving Lamela an excuse to go down.

Enjoyed the replay. Plenty of standouts. Lucas, Gigi, Sturridge and Origi were great. TAA wasn't amazing but you can see from the little touches he has that he's the one that stands well and truly above the rest of the young lads.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #419: Oct 26, 2016 10:22:01 am
      In the end, a deserved victory.

But reading others response I feel I was watching a different game completely?

Spurs started the match much better, where quick in passing, pressing us hard and our midfield couldn't get a foothold in the game. Out f nowhere, a poachers goal from Studge and we are 1-0 up. Boom.

We started to get more into it as half grew, a few chances here or there, but felt out defence looked nervy when pressed (thought it shown how much of an improvement Matip has on team)

Second half we came out much. 'Much better. Here is when we had our best chances, our counter was more like the first team, and we had them against the ropes. Gutted for Ings not to bury his chance, thought he was excellent when he came on.

The players that disappointed me was Stewart and Gruiric. I don't know how Stewart got a game TBH, got caught in possession a fair few times, not strong enough against a robust spurs team. Would definitely have Brannagan ahead of him.

Marko on the other hand, just looked rusty. I have high hopes for the lad, but tonight he got a bit overawed I think.

Overall, a tricky tie which we passed through. Wouldn't mind an easier tie next round to play a few more fringe players till
      We get to semis and the 'big heads' come back into play.

(Heard Souness mention bug heads comment pre match, loved it)

I agree that we did not had possession as we're used to but Spurs were a toothless lion in the 1st half. We were controlling the game without possession.

As for Marko, I did not see the whole game but when he was close to the box, he caused a real threat. He was not very good, but it's clear that he is a talented young player and has everything to succeed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #420: Oct 26, 2016 10:31:50 am
      I agree with JD that we probably won't see that 11 play again in this competition but that doesn't mean that any one of them can't come in as and when needed and that's what having a squad is all about. 

We actually have decent/good/excellent cover for every position on the pitch so that when players need resting or are out injured our high standards won't drop.  Something we've not had for decades.

Good game, great result and into the hat we go for the next round.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #421: Oct 26, 2016 10:41:12 am

2. Sturridge's second goal shows why he's not a class act: No good striker goes for a between-the-legs ball if you have both upper corners wide open. Not if you are a quality striker. I would have done it like Daniel, but I always panick when in front of the goalie alone and then I just shoot the ball towards the goal and hope :). Also Souness said Daniel will never be starting striker in Liverpool because he's to lazy to run more actively?!?! (Did I get this right?)

Don't get how Sturridge scoring through the legs of the keeper shows he is not a world class striker?  :roll:

Sturridge - He actually had a poor game by his standards. Missed a couple of sitters, wasn't involved in our play much, but he still scored two goals and won us the game.

I know it's all opinions, but I just struggle to see how Sturridge takes so much criticism. He's scored 2 goals, and yet he's still had a "poor game" - by his standards? or the standards we place on him?

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #422: Oct 26, 2016 10:45:33 am
      1. Mignolet looks better than Karius. Loris should play in the League Cup to get more experience while Mignolet plays in the PL...at least for now!
      2. Sturridge's second goal shows why he's not a class act: No good striker goes for a between-the-legs ball if you have both upper corners wide open. Not if you are a quality striker. I would have done it like Daniel, but I always panick when in front of the goalie alone and then I just shoot the ball towards the goal and hope :). Also Souness said Daniel will never be starting striker in Liverpool because he's to lazy to run more actively?!?! (Did I get this right?)
      3. All the lads played well overall, good to know we have not to fear injuries.

Now, let's get 3 points vs. CP and I am happy.

p.s. This League Cup is a waster and disgrace when the best teams show how low they think of this Cup by playing their reserves. Rather make it 21 or 22 teams in the PL...or even better introduce Playoffs.

What on earth has the League Cup got to do with 21/22 teams being in the Prem or introducing play-offs? Play-offs for what exactly? Such a shocking idea. With posts like this it's easy to see why you have -17. You just don't think before you click 'post'.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #423: Oct 26, 2016 10:50:13 am
      Sturridge's second goal shows why he's not a class act: No good striker goes for a between-the-legs ball if you have both upper corners wide open.

:D

Yeah having the best goalscoring rate of any LFC striker shows he's indeed not a class act.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #424: Oct 26, 2016 10:52:13 am
      Was at Anfield last night and thought Gini was impressive. Seemed to cover a lot of ground and provided some leadership in what was an extremely young midfield - always asking for the ball, great movement on both sides of the pitch, closing them down or tracking back whenever necessary.

A pleasing performance considering how many youngsters we put on the field, it was 2-1 but could easily have been 5-0!

Great to see Ings back as well, he might have missed a goal but had a couple of classy touches, tried to get involved, he'll only get better as he gets more opportunities.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #425: Oct 26, 2016 10:52:38 am
      Good to see Daniel amongst the goals again, although should have had a hat trick. Thought that he was fractionally offside with the second one. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise a good team performance, with both sides selecting a string of squad players.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #426: Oct 26, 2016 10:53:19 am
      Liverpool fans on 5 live saying we should off load studge.
      Alledged fans should I say.
      Missed a few tonight but gotta be the best, most talented back up striker in the league. What are they thinking.

IMO When he(Sturridge) is fit and on song there is only one striker in the premier League that is better than him, and that is a fit and on song Kun Aguero... Having said that how do we keep him Fit... Man City are faced with the same problem with Aguero... The other point being Is he capable of being the sort of striker that Jürgen Klopp wants, willing to chase and close down and pressing high... Personally I would be happy to swap Sturrigde for Aguero if it was at all possible as I believe that he would slot right into the style of play that Klopp demands, or have both of them to hand, but that will not happen... I believe that if things persist the way they have Sturrigde and Liverpool will part company by the end of next season like it or not
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #427: Oct 26, 2016 11:01:32 am
      Soft penalty yes - but watch the legs of Lucas and Klavan and you can tell which one is a defender.

https://streamable.com/km1b
      Lucas has 5 or 6 hacks at him ref has no choice, what was Lucas thinking?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #428: Oct 26, 2016 11:36:38 am
      I know it's all opinions, but I just struggle to see how Sturridge takes so much criticism. He's scored 2 goals, and yet he's still had a "poor game" - by his standards? or the standards we place on him?

I thought his first touch was poor, his movement was poor, and he missed a couple of absolute sitters as well. So by his standards, a world class striker, I actually thought he had a poor game yes.

He took his goals well enough and that effort with the outside of his boot was a cracker, but in general he was a 6/10 for me.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #429: Oct 26, 2016 11:49:28 am
      I thought his first touch was poor, his movement was poor, and he missed a couple of absolute sitters as well. So by his standards, a world class striker, I actually thought he had a poor game yes.

He took his goals well enough and that effort with the outside of his boot was a cracker, but in general he was a 6/10 for me.

Still, he got us two goals and we got the win. Had six shots on target, more than the entire Spurs team. Let's enjoy the win the win and leave those fine tuning to Klopp at Melwood. I'm sure we'll see a much sharper Daniel in his next outing. Put in a great shift last night anyhow.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #430: Oct 26, 2016 12:47:35 pm
      IMO When he(Sturridge) is fit and on song there is only one striker in the premier League that is better than him, and that is a fit and on song Kun Aguero... Having said that how do we keep him Fit... Man City are faced with the same problem with Aguero... The other point being Is he capable of being the sort of striker that Jürgen Klopp wants, willing to chase and close down and pressing high... Personally I would be happy to swap Sturrigde for Aguero if it was at all possible as I believe that he would slot right into the style of play that Klopp demands, or have both of them to hand, but that will not happen... I believe that if things persist the way they have Sturrigde and Liverpool will part company by the end of next season like it or not

How about Costa at Chelsea, I know we all hate the ugly git but he is one hell of a striker when he's in form?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #431: Oct 26, 2016 01:07:20 pm
      was as at Anfield last night and thought Gini was impressive.

Effectively efficient.  Him, Emre Can and Henderson will hopefully provide each other with some decent competition that can only improve them all. 

Not just that but he's excellent at counting the number of steps the ref takes walls back.

https://streamable.com/qduf

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #432: Oct 26, 2016 03:55:15 pm
      Effectively efficient.  Him, Emre Can and Henderson will hopefully provide each other with some decent competition that can only improve them all. 

Not just that but he's excellent at counting the number of steps the ref takes walls back.

https://streamable.com/qduf

Watched that about 8 times trying to spot Sturridge counting...

:dunce2:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #433: Oct 26, 2016 04:31:06 pm
      Gigi, Stewart, Trent, Sturridge played well. Daniel scored twice and he could have scored many more and he played well. We should praise him not attack him, come on guys.

To be honest, I think he was not the most loved player at Liverpool, we rarely shout his name, etc.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #434: Oct 26, 2016 04:52:50 pm
      I put Gini as MOTM. I thought he did excellent.

I was also extremely impressed with Alexander-Arnold. Although I saw him play live before and knew of his talent, last night was still a very impressive performance.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #435: Oct 26, 2016 05:18:31 pm
      I put Gini as MOTM. I thought he did excellent.

I was also extremely impressed with Alexander-Arnold. Although I saw him play live before and knew of his talent, last night was still a very impressive performance.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Arnold can do in the future. He seems like one of those players that will be at the club for a while yet. It also helps that he's only 17. Fingers crossed he will continue to improve and play well then maybe he can be our replacement for Clyne if all goes well.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #436: Oct 26, 2016 06:35:29 pm

Yer talking pish pal, one of the reasons we've struggled in recent seasons is by selling our best players,
      This season we only have domestic competition, we will be in Europe next season so we will need every payer we have and of course new ones, the only players going are the dead wood no hopers and most of them have gone already.

WE NO LONGER SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS!!

YNWA

Quick Reply