Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Clean Sheets

Read 5562 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Clean Sheets
      Nov 07, 2016 10:02:29 am
      Our football is fantastic at the moment, we are scoring freely and giving proper hidings to most we come across so am I right to be worried at our inability to keep teams out and improve our "clean sheet" statistic?

We will not be scoring 4 and more every week. West Brom was a good example being in total control and then nearly blowing it due to our regular lapse. Palace was nerve wracking and even yesterday Watford had a 15 minute spell where they could have scored one if not more. I'm sure we would have upped our game if Watford had nicked an earlier goal though and at 5-0 up I understand why we took our foot off the gas.

My concern is in closer games, we have to be able to win 1-0 and tighten it if that's what it takes. I worry we cant do that yet.

Let me be clear I know teams like West Ham and Watford have kept more clean sheets so don't use that as a barometer. We are at a different level to those and must look to become the finished article.

I'm not looking to piss on anyone's euphoria rather discuss what I see as an issue that may cost us when we are not banging in the goals to make conceding 1 irrelevant.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Clean Sheets
      Reply #1: Nov 07, 2016 10:03:27 am
      Clean sheets are over rated  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Nov 07, 2016 10:35:41 am
      I guess on the face of it, 14 goals conceded in 11 games, or 1.27 gpg or 48 over a 38 game season isn't good enough for a title win but some context as always is needed.

If we are to assume that our best/regular starting back 5 is going to karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren and Milner then I believe those 5 have only started together 3 or 4 out of the 11 games played.

5 of the 14 were scored in the first 2 games, since then we're averaging 1gpg.

Yes a strong defense and clean sheets are important but not the be all and end all of what we can win.  Pepe Reina had 115 PL clean sheets in 237 game over a 7 season period and we won F**k all in that time, with only 1 real title challenge in that time.

Don't get me wrong, it will cost us a win or two at some point but let's not get too hung up on it, there's enough in the media hoping it'll derail our season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Nov 07, 2016 11:08:15 am
      I agree to an extent, a lot of our goals have been soft and avoidable, but some haven't, some have been good goals, some have been goals the team scored against other clubs in other matches, but in true fashion, the English press and media, in a need to fill back pages with sh*te, are over blowing the entire thing. Nonetheless, yes, we need to tighten up at the back and the look on Klopp's face yesterday makes it clear he feels exactly the same.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Nov 07, 2016 11:19:07 am
      How are Spurs' numerous clean sheets treating them this season? :D.

At home we've conceded 4 in 5 games but away from home we've conceded 10 in 6 games so it's our away form that's skewing the figures a little. We conceded 2 at Burnley, 2 at Palace and 3 at Arsenal. Half of the goals we've conceded this season have come in just 3 games and we won 2 of them.

We've only been behind THREE times this season in 11 league games and one of them was the loss at Burnley so conceding goals hasn't really affected us that much. In 5

Man City have kept just 2 clean sheets in the league so why don't we hear people going on at them for not defending better? In the 9 games they've conceded in they've conceded 10 goals and in the first couple of months of the season conceding wasn't a problem but in the past 5 games they've kept 1 clean sheet, conceded 5, scored 7 but have won just 1 game, drawn 3 and lost 1. Not only are they conceding but they're failing to score enough to win games, atleast we're doing that. 

Not keeping clean sheets is only ever a problem when you're failing to win games or you're defending that much that you're failing to score at the other end. I'll start worrying about them when we start drawing a ton of games 1-1 like Man City & Spurs are doing at the moment. I'll take points over clean sheets any day.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Nov 07, 2016 11:48:23 am
      Only Palace (2) and Sunderland (4) have less clean sheets than us in 2016.  We've got 5. Same as Stoke.

Arsenal and Leicester have 14.

I'd like to see us get a clean sheet at least every 3 or 4 games rather than 1 in every 6.  I don't think you can win the league without throwing a fair few 1-0s in but we can certainly finish in the top four with our current strategy.

People suggest that it is something that will get better but I genuinely believe it's a price we will pay, and will be worth paying, for the type of football we have.

Let's face it - a clean sheet is only important when you score 1 or none, not when you score 4 or 6.

It's about when you get them - not how many IMO.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Nov 07, 2016 11:58:30 am
      Only Palace (2) and Sunderland (4) have less clean sheets than us in 2016.  We've got 5. Same as Stoke.

Arsenal and Leicester have 14.

I'd like to see us get a clean sheet at least every 3 or 4 games rather than 1 in every 6.  I don't think you can win the league without throwing a fair few 1-0s in but we can certainly finish in the top four with our current strategy.

People suggest that it is something that will get better but I genuinely believe it's a price we will pay, and will be worth paying, for the type of football we have.

Let's face it - a clean sheet is only important when you score 1 or none, not when you score 4 or 6.

It's about when you get them - not how many IMO.

Aren't we top of the points table for 2016 though with the best GD?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #7: Nov 07, 2016 11:59:02 am
      Once Karius is fully settled in as our no.1 the clean sheets will follow.

If we are selling Sakho in January I'd love to see us sign Sule he could be the difference in us solidifying our defence enough to win the league.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Nov 07, 2016 12:30:59 pm
      As mentioned already, I think it's a price we pay for the type of footy we play. To have so much intensity and drive going forward for most of the game, it's inevitable that near the end we lose a bit of concentration when we lose the ball in the oppositions half.

I think we'd see more clean sheets if we were keeping things more apprehensive with and without the ball.

Closing games out is what we need to improve on, I'd say. Not defending the goal.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #9: Nov 07, 2016 12:35:54 pm
      When we are 5-0 up i don't give a single f**k if we concede a goal. A team that has so many goals in it is surely a candidate for the title.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10: Nov 07, 2016 12:39:20 pm
      As mentioned already, I think it's a price we pay for the type of footy we play. To have so much intensity and drive going forward for most of the game, it's inevitable that near the end we lose a bit of concentration when we lose the ball in the oppositions half.

I think we'd see more clean sheets if we were keeping things more apprehensive with and without the ball.

Closing games out is what we need to improve on, I'd say. Not defending the goal.

Personally, I just think the press have found another stick to wave around, and they've all jumped on the bandwagon.

Of course we're a bit open at the back when attacking, but so is any team who commits men forwards, which is pretty much the whole top 8.
      Of course we could defend better, but you can say that about any team who concede a goal.

I'm not worried, and nor am I going to take any notice of this latest press campaign, simply because we are nowhere near as open as we were under BR in the "oh so nearly" season. We're also fitter, more aggressive, and have more players being more aggressive.
      We'll ship a few here and there, but so will others.
      What's important is who we concede to, and when.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2016 12:50:21 pm
      I mentioned yesterday that id have forsaken scoring 6 just to see a "Watford 0". Look its fantastic to be doing what were doing God knows its  the most enjoyable football I've seen for years. But I have a fear in the back of my mind and its this, there will come a time this season when we wont be scoring 3 or 4 in a match. We might score 1 we might score none. And in those games it will be vital that we keep clean sheets. Clean sheets that will turn zero points in to 1 point or 3 points. Points that will be invaluable at the end of the season.

I will every bit as happy, happier, as yesterday when the day comes we play bad and scrape a 1 nil because our back 5 put on a master class of defending.

All our great sides that swept all before them were built from the back. That went from Shanks through to Kenny. Wed have won a league under Roy Evans had we been better at the back same might be said for 2014.

1 clean sheet in 11. Needs to be improved on. And if it is, Jesus if it is if we can keep goals out who will stop us?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2016 01:02:27 pm
      Personally, I just think the press have found another stick to wave around, and they've all jumped on the bandwagon.

Possibly.

Aren't we top of the points table for 2016 though with the best GD?

Arsenal have had 14 and we've had 5 but we've both got 56 points in 2016 so clean sheets are obviously overstated.

Admittedly we haven't been under any pressure for wins in those games.

I still think that if you are going for the title the pressure starts to crank up towards the very end.  2013-14 we conceded 11 goals in our last 6 games and that was that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2016 01:09:34 pm
      I'm not concerned at all about the clean sheet argument, the football we are witnessing & enjoying so much will have a slight negative, which is we may let a goal or two in, but if your leading 4-0 who gives a shiny one?...

More of the same please.....
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2016 01:15:14 pm
      I'm not concerned at all about the clean sheet argument, the football we are witnessing & enjoying so much will have a slight negative, which is we may let a goal or two in, but if your leading 4-0 who gives a shiny one?...

More of the same please.....

Of course your right mate but its not the point I was trying to make.

We wont always be banging in loads of goals, I hope we do but I am sure that at some point this season we will need to dig in and scrap for that 1-0.

Would you in all honesty say we can easily do that now, I don't see it yet.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2016 01:27:03 pm
      I'm not worried about our lack of clean sheets. Very rarely do we see a team open us up. Very rarely do we see a player score a screamer against us. I'd even say its become rare that we will concede from a set piece now too and there was a time not too long ago were every corner or free kick we gave away there was a feeling around the ground that we would concede.

It might just be my imagination, but most of the goals we are letting in at the moment come from individual errors. The vast majority of them could have been avoided.   You can't do anything about a wonder strike from 30 yards out and sometimes you have to applaud the opposition if they play some nice football and rip you open with a neat move. But the goals we let in are just soft, silly mistakes from our players usually (Moreno & Mignolet in particular!).

I said this in the post match thread V Watford, we might still be leaking goals but we look far more solid with Matip in the back four. We are defending much better. The clean sheets will come and I'd be more worried if teams actually earned their goals against us rather than us giving them away for free. It won't be long until we cut our mistakes out and we will be twatting teams 6-0 instead of 6-1.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2016 01:34:48 pm

We wont always be banging in loads of goals, I hope we do but I am sure that at some point this season we will need to dig in and scrap for that 1-0.

It will be a tough task to breakdown teams who are anti football, just look at what Jose did at Anfield, as long as we score 1 more than the opposition is what matters, clean shets are great but I don't think the title will be decided by goal difference.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2016 01:37:34 pm

We probably won't continue to bang in 4/5/6 goals a game mate but what makes you believe they'll dry up completely? 

That normally happens when a team relies on 1 or 2 goal scorers and injuries hit but that isn't us this season, we have goals from everywhere and everyone which should see the goals continue from somewhere even if they're not in the same numbers.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2016 02:13:33 pm
      We probably won't continue to bang in 4/5/6 goals a game mate but what makes you believe they'll dry up completely? 

That normally happens when a team relies on 1 or 2 goal scorers and injuries hit but that isn't us this season, we have goals from everywhere and everyone which should see the goals continue from somewhere even if they're not in the same numbers.

Things happen. International duty, injuries, goal droughts, better defences, counter tactics that work. It's a fair point he makes and clearly a problem Klopp wants eradicated otherwise he wouldn't working on it in training. Too many people are getting carried away with their complacency. Thank goodness Klopp isn't.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #19: Nov 07, 2016 02:19:50 pm

I don't Debs, I feel we really carry a threat these days but its more of a niggle in the back of my mind.

People keep mentioning "points" are what matters rather than clean sheets but I feel we will need those clean sheets to gain quite a few 3 pointers this season.

Would love us to steamroller everyone from now until the end but the realist in me says that wont happen.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Nov 07, 2016 02:35:51 pm
      Things happen. International duty, injuries, goal droughts, better defences, counter tactics that work. It's a fair point he makes and clearly a problem Klopp wants eradicated otherwise he wouldn't working on it in training. Too many people are getting carried away with their complacency. Thank goodness Klopp isn't.

Things do happen but they happen to all teams and of course Jürgen's working on it as he has with the attack and midfield.

Like I said in my earlier post, our starting 5 have barely played together so are still learning and gaining trust in each other and themselves. 

I don't Debs, I feel we really carry a threat these days but its more of a niggle in the back of my mind.

People keep mentioning "points" are what matters rather than clean sheets but I feel we will need those clean sheets to gain quite a few 3 pointers this season.

Would love us to steamroller everyone from now until the end but the realist in me says that wont happen.

We probably will need them mate but we've plenty of time to work on it and if the improvements everywhere else on the pitch is an indicater of how much better the defense will be then I doubt it'll be an issue later in the season.

Have faith in the boss, although most people think of Dortmund as an attacking force their defense was pretty stingy I think.  Yep his 2 Title winning seasons they conceded 22 and 25 goals down from 37 and 42 in the previous 2.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #21: Nov 07, 2016 02:42:48 pm
      I'm not overly concerned about it.

A few would be nice but I think 9 times out of 10 we have the ability to outscore the opposition and I'm just enjoying how great we are going forward right now. Even if it is only the highlights I'm getting to see.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: Nov 07, 2016 02:50:45 pm
      Things do happen but they happen to all teams and of course Jürgen's working on it as he has with the attack and midfield.

Like I said in my earlier post, our starting 5 have barely played together so are still learning and gaining trust in each other and themselves. 

I agree with that and I agree with srslfc in that I'm not overly concerned because Klopp has said he's trying to coach it out, and I said in my earlier post that there is an over reaction about it because not every goal we concede is of our own making, nonetheless, we shouldn't be complacent simply because we have the league's best attacking force right now. We've seen how Maureen shut that attacking force down and had United been more clinical and scored, we would have found it difficult to get back into the game. It's games like that I believe the OP is alluding to. We all know how fine the margins can be, and I for one have no desire for history to repeat itself.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #23: Nov 07, 2016 03:01:45 pm
      Was on here during the game yeaterday and we had people wishing Watford a consolation goal. Seems to me at the moment it isn't in the culture of the players or the fans to not concede goals at any costs.

Klopp looked fuming when the goal webt in, but for 10 minutes it looked lie it was coming. I used to remember us hammering sides in the past and if we did ship 1 in Carragher in partucular would lose his sh*t. Didn't see much of that yeaterday from anyone on the field.

We have to be ruthless IMO who knws what part goal difference will play.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 05:11:47 pm by fields of anny rd »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #24: Nov 07, 2016 03:03:01 pm
      Rather than have clean sheets, far better to have open  and entertaining football like yesterday. It is far worse having goal droughts, that leads to defeats. Yesterday was a real treat for the crowd, especially the price of tickets nowadays.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #25: Nov 07, 2016 04:34:34 pm

Have we really faced >12 shots per game?  And if that stats true - does that mean our defending is better or not?!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #26: Nov 07, 2016 04:56:44 pm

Have we really faced >12 shots per game?  And if that stats true - does that mean our defending is better or not?!

Not sure about Total shots but shots on Target faced per game is ;

2013/14 - 3.95
      2016/17 - 3.45

So we are making sure the opposition are not getting as many clear cut chances.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #27: Nov 07, 2016 05:06:52 pm

Depends on where the shots are coming from?

If teams have to resort to pot shots out side the box and that makes up 10 of those 12 I'd be happy. If however they are walking into our area and shooting from there its worrying.

One stat I would love to see between this season and last is crosses into our area, noticed the lads are making a huge effort to stop them coming in
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #28: Nov 07, 2016 05:11:31 pm
      Not sure about Total shots but shots on Target faced per game is ;

2013/14 - 3.95
      2016/17 - 3.45

So we are making sure the opposition are not getting as many clear cut chances.

Yup..was going to post something similar.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #29: Nov 07, 2016 05:18:07 pm
      This thread title could easily read as a self help page for night time toiletry issues.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Nov 07, 2016 05:25:15 pm

We may have faced 12.6 shots per game but according to Opta Stats (can be accessed via the offal) we've only faced 3.5 shots on target per game and 38 overall. We've conceded a goal every 2.7 shots we face. Also, 72% of shots we've faced have been off target which sort of implies that some of them have been speculative efforts. Us on the other hand get 59% of our shots on target. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #31: Nov 07, 2016 05:26:56 pm
      This thread title could easily read as a self help page for night time toiletry issues.

The way we are playing at the moment there must be a few stained sheets up and down the country!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Nov 07, 2016 07:31:01 pm
      We may have faced 12.6 shots per game but according to Opta Stats (can be accessed via the offal) we've only faced 3.5 shots on target per game and 38 overall. We've conceded a goal every 2.7 shots we face. Also, 72% of shots we've faced have been off target which sort of implies that some of them have been speculative efforts. Us on the other hand get 59% of our shots on target. 

Watford stats from yesterday may have ever so slightly skewered those figures against us considering that most of their shots came after we had gone 5-0 up. I remember the stat that came up during play that said we had only allowed 2 touches for Watford inside our own box once we went 5-0 up. At 5-1 that figure had increased to 12. Just goes to show how much we laid down after the fifth goal which annoyed me quite a bit. When they scored it did wake us up a bit and I was delighted that they got the 6th to restore the five goal advantage!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Nov 07, 2016 08:52:27 pm
      Rather than have clean sheets, far better to have open  and entertaining football like yesterday. It is far worse having goal droughts, that leads to defeats. Yesterday was a real treat for the crowd, especially the price of tickets nowadays.

Don't be idiotic. Conceding goals invites opposing teams to believe they have a chance. Half the battle is won if a team shows up to Anfield already having written off the game. The hammerings we gave Norwich, for example, left clear psychological scars that meant they were easier to beat each time we faced them. No team should ever believe they have a chance against us and the best way to achieve that is to hammer them senseless and not give them a whiff of goal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #34: Nov 07, 2016 09:01:17 pm
      Watford stats from yesterday may have ever so slightly skewered those figures against us considering that most of their shots came after we had gone 5-0 up. I remember the stat that came up during play that said we had only allowed 2 touches for Watford inside our own box once we went 5-0 up. At 5-1 that figure had increased to 12. Just goes to show how much we laid down after the fifth goal which annoyed me quite a bit. When they scored it did wake us up a bit and I was delighted that they got the 6th to restore the five goal advantage!

Yes, their chances were not so much down to poor defensive displays but more so our poor response when going five up. Showed them a lack of respect from that point on I think. Cut out these docile moments and we'd have loads more clean sheets.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2016 09:19:33 pm
      Clean sheets ???  If they aren't a little dirty then your not having any fun!!  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2016 09:43:07 pm
      I think it's clear that Liverpool Football Club and clean sheets just aren't made for each other anymore.

Still think back to when we got 11 in a row back in 06 I think it was.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2016 10:25:55 pm
      Ha ha ha, and I just changed my predictions as well. Had saints down for 2:1 to us, and changed it to 2:0, got Moyes boys down for 5:0, and left it so.
      We won't go full season without another clean sheet and I got a feeling two are gonna come up in quick succession !
      May even change saints to 3:0 but will wait and see if everyone returns from the internationals fully fit, and not jet lagged.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2016 11:54:55 pm
      Clean sheets eh? They were the days. She puts rubber ones on nowadays. Can't be trusted, me.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #39: Nov 08, 2016 08:09:36 am
      I think that clean sheets will only really become a problem and placed under the spotlight once we lose some of our attacking play or fluidity through injury or absence and are unable to break down tougher teams.
      Consider that in January, we would have come through a busy December period, we would be without Mane at AFCON and have arguably our toughest run of fixtures running into end of February...this could be the period when keeping clean sheets keep us in the title race.
      So i think its definitely an important aspect of our game that needs to be taken seriously, which im sure JK is doing. I trust that we are still a work in progress defensively and that we will improve.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #40: Nov 08, 2016 03:32:21 pm
      Quote from Son Of A Gun
      Yes, their chances were not so much down to poor defensive displays but more so our poor response when going five up. Showed them a lack of respect from that point on I think. Cut out these docile moments and we'd have loads more clean sheets.

It's about respect apparently. When the opposition is on the ropes, you then ease down and let them off the hook once you get so far in front. I don't like it and it's gone on here as far back as the Houllier days.

We need a clean sheet soon though, but it's a nice problem to have when your biggest concern is not about winning games, but keeping clean sheets.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Nov 08, 2016 04:18:12 pm
      It's about respect apparently. When the opposition is on the ropes, you then ease down and let them off the hook once you get so far in front. I don't like it and it's gone on here as far back as the Houllier days.

We need a clean sheet soon though, but it's a nice problem to have when your biggest concern is not about winning games, but keeping clean sheets.

I think theres an element of winding down physically as well. We play a high octane game and I feel when we get so far ahead theres a desire to rest a little during the games.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #42: Nov 08, 2016 05:33:29 pm
      Every time i see this thread,this song in my head!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZN9ylURK0
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #43: Nov 26, 2016 06:30:51 pm
      See this thread has been quite recently  :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Nov 26, 2016 10:11:47 pm
      2 in a row ... 26 to go.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Nov 27, 2016 05:04:29 am

Hardly surprising that we kept a low shot on target tally against Sunderland considering how they set up but hopefully we can maintain this great defensive record.

We allowed them 1 shot on target and Karius must feel blessed to have that type of defending ahead of him, it really is the biggest unsung hero of our team.

Get the feeling we're going to need it though, with Bobby likely carrying a knock if not actually ruled out of future games, Cou out for a prolonged period most likely and the loss of Mane it would be a surprise if the goals for didn't start drying up a little.

Hopefully not though, but a period of adaption could well be on the cards. Maybe Origi leading the line and playing on the counter, or even a 2 of Origi and Sturridge with Bobby just behind them doing the hard yards. Just get a feeling we will probably have to change as too many of the vital pieces are starting to go missing, guess we'll see.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #46: Nov 27, 2016 03:24:33 pm
      I was sure we were due two clean sheets against saints and Sunderland. One shot on target between them over 180mins.
      I just predicted 7 goals from us and only got 2.
      Ah well, one day it'll all come right for me 😁
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Nov 27, 2016 03:41:12 pm
      When we are 5-0 up i don't give a single f**k if we concede a goal.
      A team that has so many goals in it is surely a candidate for the title.

George : May I remind you of TPM's last season?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #48: Nov 27, 2016 09:18:46 pm
      Maybe the defence is not as sh*te as some think.

https://twitter.com/basstunedtored/status/802837949737996293
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #49: Nov 30, 2016 09:59:58 am
      Not conceded for 286 minutes, which for us is like Gianluigi Buffon going 10 games without conceding.

Quick Reply