Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Clean Sheets

Read 5601 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Clean Sheets
      Reply #23: Nov 07, 2016 03:01:45 pm
      Was on here during the game yeaterday and we had people wishing Watford a consolation goal. Seems to me at the moment it isn't in the culture of the players or the fans to not concede goals at any costs.

Klopp looked fuming when the goal webt in, but for 10 minutes it looked lie it was coming. I used to remember us hammering sides in the past and if we did ship 1 in Carragher in partucular would lose his sh*t. Didn't see much of that yeaterday from anyone on the field.

We have to be ruthless IMO who knws what part goal difference will play.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 05:11:47 pm by fields of anny rd »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,285 posts | 763 
      Reply #24: Nov 07, 2016 03:03:01 pm
      Rather than have clean sheets, far better to have open  and entertaining football like yesterday. It is far worse having goal droughts, that leads to defeats. Yesterday was a real treat for the crowd, especially the price of tickets nowadays.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,607 posts | 6930 
      Reply #25: Nov 07, 2016 04:34:34 pm

Have we really faced >12 shots per game?  And if that stats true - does that mean our defending is better or not?!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #26: Nov 07, 2016 04:56:44 pm

Have we really faced >12 shots per game?  And if that stats true - does that mean our defending is better or not?!

Not sure about Total shots but shots on Target faced per game is ;

2013/14 - 3.95
      2016/17 - 3.45

So we are making sure the opposition are not getting as many clear cut chances.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #27: Nov 07, 2016 05:06:52 pm

Depends on where the shots are coming from?

If teams have to resort to pot shots out side the box and that makes up 10 of those 12 I'd be happy. If however they are walking into our area and shooting from there its worrying.

One stat I would love to see between this season and last is crosses into our area, noticed the lads are making a huge effort to stop them coming in
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #28: Nov 07, 2016 05:11:31 pm
      Not sure about Total shots but shots on Target faced per game is ;

2013/14 - 3.95
      2016/17 - 3.45

So we are making sure the opposition are not getting as many clear cut chances.

Yup..was going to post something similar.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #29: Nov 07, 2016 05:18:07 pm
      This thread title could easily read as a self help page for night time toiletry issues.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Nov 07, 2016 05:25:15 pm

We may have faced 12.6 shots per game but according to Opta Stats (can be accessed via the offal) we've only faced 3.5 shots on target per game and 38 overall. We've conceded a goal every 2.7 shots we face. Also, 72% of shots we've faced have been off target which sort of implies that some of them have been speculative efforts. Us on the other hand get 59% of our shots on target. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31: Nov 07, 2016 05:26:56 pm
      This thread title could easily read as a self help page for night time toiletry issues.

The way we are playing at the moment there must be a few stained sheets up and down the country!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Nov 07, 2016 07:31:01 pm
      We may have faced 12.6 shots per game but according to Opta Stats (can be accessed via the offal) we've only faced 3.5 shots on target per game and 38 overall. We've conceded a goal every 2.7 shots we face. Also, 72% of shots we've faced have been off target which sort of implies that some of them have been speculative efforts. Us on the other hand get 59% of our shots on target. 

Watford stats from yesterday may have ever so slightly skewered those figures against us considering that most of their shots came after we had gone 5-0 up. I remember the stat that came up during play that said we had only allowed 2 touches for Watford inside our own box once we went 5-0 up. At 5-1 that figure had increased to 12. Just goes to show how much we laid down after the fifth goal which annoyed me quite a bit. When they scored it did wake us up a bit and I was delighted that they got the 6th to restore the five goal advantage!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Nov 07, 2016 08:52:27 pm
      Rather than have clean sheets, far better to have open  and entertaining football like yesterday. It is far worse having goal droughts, that leads to defeats. Yesterday was a real treat for the crowd, especially the price of tickets nowadays.

Don't be idiotic. Conceding goals invites opposing teams to believe they have a chance. Half the battle is won if a team shows up to Anfield already having written off the game. The hammerings we gave Norwich, for example, left clear psychological scars that meant they were easier to beat each time we faced them. No team should ever believe they have a chance against us and the best way to achieve that is to hammer them senseless and not give them a whiff of goal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #34: Nov 07, 2016 09:01:17 pm
      Watford stats from yesterday may have ever so slightly skewered those figures against us considering that most of their shots came after we had gone 5-0 up. I remember the stat that came up during play that said we had only allowed 2 touches for Watford inside our own box once we went 5-0 up. At 5-1 that figure had increased to 12. Just goes to show how much we laid down after the fifth goal which annoyed me quite a bit. When they scored it did wake us up a bit and I was delighted that they got the 6th to restore the five goal advantage!

Yes, their chances were not so much down to poor defensive displays but more so our poor response when going five up. Showed them a lack of respect from that point on I think. Cut out these docile moments and we'd have loads more clean sheets.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2016 09:19:33 pm
      Clean sheets ???  If they aren't a little dirty then your not having any fun!!  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2016 09:43:07 pm
      I think it's clear that Liverpool Football Club and clean sheets just aren't made for each other anymore.

Still think back to when we got 11 in a row back in 06 I think it was.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2016 10:25:55 pm
      Ha ha ha, and I just changed my predictions as well. Had saints down for 2:1 to us, and changed it to 2:0, got Moyes boys down for 5:0, and left it so.
      We won't go full season without another clean sheet and I got a feeling two are gonna come up in quick succession !
      May even change saints to 3:0 but will wait and see if everyone returns from the internationals fully fit, and not jet lagged.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2016 11:54:55 pm
      Clean sheets eh? They were the days. She puts rubber ones on nowadays. Can't be trusted, me.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #39: Nov 08, 2016 08:09:36 am
      I think that clean sheets will only really become a problem and placed under the spotlight once we lose some of our attacking play or fluidity through injury or absence and are unable to break down tougher teams.
      Consider that in January, we would have come through a busy December period, we would be without Mane at AFCON and have arguably our toughest run of fixtures running into end of February...this could be the period when keeping clean sheets keep us in the title race.
      So i think its definitely an important aspect of our game that needs to be taken seriously, which im sure JK is doing. I trust that we are still a work in progress defensively and that we will improve.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #40: Nov 08, 2016 03:32:21 pm
      Quote from Son Of A Gun
      Yes, their chances were not so much down to poor defensive displays but more so our poor response when going five up. Showed them a lack of respect from that point on I think. Cut out these docile moments and we'd have loads more clean sheets.

It's about respect apparently. When the opposition is on the ropes, you then ease down and let them off the hook once you get so far in front. I don't like it and it's gone on here as far back as the Houllier days.

We need a clean sheet soon though, but it's a nice problem to have when your biggest concern is not about winning games, but keeping clean sheets.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Nov 08, 2016 04:18:12 pm
      It's about respect apparently. When the opposition is on the ropes, you then ease down and let them off the hook once you get so far in front. I don't like it and it's gone on here as far back as the Houllier days.

We need a clean sheet soon though, but it's a nice problem to have when your biggest concern is not about winning games, but keeping clean sheets.

I think theres an element of winding down physically as well. We play a high octane game and I feel when we get so far ahead theres a desire to rest a little during the games.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #42: Nov 08, 2016 05:33:29 pm
      Every time i see this thread,this song in my head!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZN9ylURK0
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #43: Nov 26, 2016 06:30:51 pm
      See this thread has been quite recently  :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Nov 26, 2016 10:11:47 pm
      2 in a row ... 26 to go.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Nov 27, 2016 05:04:29 am

Hardly surprising that we kept a low shot on target tally against Sunderland considering how they set up but hopefully we can maintain this great defensive record.

We allowed them 1 shot on target and Karius must feel blessed to have that type of defending ahead of him, it really is the biggest unsung hero of our team.

Get the feeling we're going to need it though, with Bobby likely carrying a knock if not actually ruled out of future games, Cou out for a prolonged period most likely and the loss of Mane it would be a surprise if the goals for didn't start drying up a little.

Hopefully not though, but a period of adaption could well be on the cards. Maybe Origi leading the line and playing on the counter, or even a 2 of Origi and Sturridge with Bobby just behind them doing the hard yards. Just get a feeling we will probably have to change as too many of the vital pieces are starting to go missing, guess we'll see.

Quick Reply