Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which is the better LFC team?

2013-14
      (12.3%)
      2016-17
      (87.7%)

Liverpool side 2013-14 v 2016-17 - Who wins?

Read 9145 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Liverpool side 2013-14 v 2016-17 - Who wins?
      Nov 07, 2016 12:51:24 pm
      Question that most of us have probably been thinking about. 

I've compiled the average teams from both seasons based on highest appearances:

2013-14

Mignolet
      Johnson - Skrtel - Toure/Agger* - Flanagan
      Gerrard - Henderson
      Sterling - Coutinho - Suarez - Sturridge

* Agger and Toure played the same number of games

2016-17

Karius
      Clyne - Matip - Lovren - Milner
      Henderson - Wijnaldum
      Mane - Coutinho - Firmino - Lallana

Suarez - undeniably world class and arguably the best player in either team.  But Sterling was far from the finished article - still is.  Mane's a better player IMO and a better goalscorer.  Coutinho now v then - far better player.  Firmino v Sturridge?

Defence? I'll take our current back four.

Gerrard at his peak would walk back into our midfield though.

How many of the current side would you put in the 2013-14 team?  It's definitely more than six for me.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Re: Liverpool side 2013-14 v 2016-17 - Who wins?
      Reply #1: Nov 07, 2016 01:49:51 pm
      Difficult one, i suppose on form i would choose the current back 5 with the 2013/14 front 6.
      A Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho playing with current manager would make for some devastating football.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #2: Nov 07, 2016 02:02:49 pm
      As well as we're playing at the moment, if we came up against our 13-14 team then we would lose in my opinion.

The 13-14 team, apart from the hiccups right at the finishing line, was the best Liverpool team I've ever seen. It was one of the best footballing teams I've ever seen and I genuinely think had we played anybody in Europe at that time we would have beaten them. 

For me it comes down to which attack is better.  Now at present we have a lethal attack but I think the pairing of Luis-Danny was truly special, they were so deadly. They had the quality of Steven supplying them with passes and then of course Raheem and Coutinho chipping in from wide areas too.    So because of Luis & Danny, 13-14 team wins which is weird because when you match player to player we are probably better off now as the OP suggests.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Nov 07, 2016 02:05:17 pm
      Our current side would wipe the floor with that team, remember how shocking the defence was back then. For sure Suarez would probably score a few but the current team would score a lot more. Plus I reckon Klopp would completely out think Brendan on the tactics and strategy side.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #4: Nov 07, 2016 02:06:57 pm
      Plus I reckon Klopp would completely out think Brendan on the tactics and strategy side.

That's true. Klopp knows how to win 'must win' or big matches. Brendan didn't unfortunately.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Nov 07, 2016 02:07:27 pm
      As well as we're playing at the moment, if we came up against our 13-14 team then we would lose in my opinion.

The 13-14 team, apart from the hiccups right at the finishing line, was the best Liverpool team I've ever seen. It was one of the best footballing teams I've ever seen and I genuinely think had we played anybody in Europe at that time we would have beaten them. 

For me it comes down to which attack is better.  Now at present we have a lethal attack but I think the pairing of Luis-Danny was truly special, they were so deadly. They had the quality of Steven supplying them with passes and then of course Raheem and Coutinho chipping in from wide areas too.    So because of Luis & Danny, 13-14 team wins which is weird because when you match player to player we are probably better off now as the OP suggests.

Sorry but with all due respect that is crap, that same team, minus Suarez were utter crap in the champions League the following season. Of course the loss of Suarez made a difference but if the team was really that good then they should still have been potent without him.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #6: Nov 07, 2016 02:10:42 pm
      Neither, it'd be the highest score draw in the history of the game :D
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1223 
      Reply #7: Nov 07, 2016 02:16:40 pm
      13/14 simply because of Suarez. He is just ridiculous.
      RedStar
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | 30 
      Reply #8: Nov 07, 2016 02:29:03 pm
      The main difference is not on the pitch.

Jürgen Klopp

so, 16/17 wins easely  ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #9: Nov 07, 2016 03:08:25 pm

Jürgen Klopp

Aye i think you have nailed the big difference between the two teams.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #10: Nov 07, 2016 03:11:46 pm
      Sorry but with all due respect that is crap, that same team, minus Suarez were utter crap in the champions League the following season. Of course the loss of Suarez made a difference but if the team was really that good then they should still have been potent without him.

You've mentioned it yourself, Suarez wasn't in the team. Sturridge was injured too for virtually the whole season. So that has wiped the 13-14 attack clean out. Go back to my post and read it again - I said it all comes down to the attack for me.

But while we're on topic, I can say that Gerrard wasn't the same player either. I think going so close to a title and then missing out at the final hurdle with his infamous slip of all things just completely finished him. Once Luis left he knew he wouldn't win a title with Liverpool which is something he has worked his whole life for. Then lets move on to Sterling who was being a c**t over a new deal, purposely putting in dog sh*t performances acting like a spoilt little brat.

You say it was the same team? Well from my recollection it was a completely different team. We sold Luis for 75m and spunked it on Can, Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Moreno, Manquillo and F***ing Balotelli.  We went from having the worlds best front pairing to having Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert. Our style of play completely changed, we had no movement in the final third because our front line was so static, Coutinho suffered as a consequence and in the end we had to play Raheem as a no.9 who didn't even want to be here. So with all due respect, it isn't crap at all.

Our 13-14 team beats our current side because of Steven, Luis and an in form Sturridge.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3368 
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2016 03:14:15 pm
      If we're to take it player for player then I think more of the 13/14 side get into it. As a team though, I think this current side is better. So as football is a team game, I'd say the current side wins.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2016 03:15:51 pm
      Perhaps we should wait until later on in the season, to make a proper judgement. Although the Liverpool side, having players like Suarez and Gerrard, did not have a manager of the quality of Jürgen Klopp, who seemingly, brings out the best in all his players.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2016 03:33:39 pm
      2016-2017...by some considerable margin.

For sure we might not have any one individual player as outstanding as Luis Suarez (we probably never will have a player as fine as him).

You don't win Premier League titles with Flanagan, Skrtel and Johnson leading the way in defence. In hindsight I think it was remarkable we got that close with those players in the defence because they are, to put it kindly, not good defenders. Klopp comes in and converts Milner to left back. He buys a world class defender for free and a handy deputy for a couple of million much better than Skrtel and Toure. As for Karius - I have no doubt that he is and will be a better keeper than Mignolet. So already we have a back line that is supremely better than the one of 2013/2014.

Gerrard over Henderson? I'd take Henderson right now. You'd think given Gerrard's legs had pretty much gone in 2013-2014 that you'd take Hendo any day. But that would be to underestimate the sheer quality of Gerrard's world class penalties and set piece deliveries. I have never seen a better more consistent season of quality dead ball deliveries and world class penalties as I did from Gerrard but at the end of the day I'd choose Hendo because his mobility and ability to recycle attacks this season has been a key reason why we are scoring so many goals, currently at a rate higher than when Gerrard played the deep role in 2013.

biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2016 03:40:52 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10649175/how-Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-compare-to-brendan-rodgers-premier-league-runners-up

This might help...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2016 03:56:29 pm
                       Reina

Finnan  Carra  Agger  Arbeloa

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt        Gerrard        Benayoun

Torres

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2016 04:08:04 pm
                       Reina

Finnan  Carra  Agger  Arbeloa

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt        Gerrard        Benayoun

Torres

Don't go there bro.....go on then ;D

Reina

Clyne          Matip        Agger        Milner

Alonso       Mascha

Gerrard       Coutinho    Suarez

Torres

;D

Current team is the one with the added bonus of Klopp.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2016 04:13:27 pm
      Gerrard over Henderson? I'd take Henderson right now. You'd think given Gerrard's legs had pretty much gone in 2013-2014 that you'd take Hendo any day. But that would be to underestimate the sheer quality of Gerrard's world class penalties and set piece deliveries. I have never seen a better more consistent season of quality dead ball deliveries and world class penalties as I did from Gerrard but at the end of the day I'd choose Hendo because his mobility and ability to recycle attacks this season has been a key reason why we are scoring so many goals, currently at a rate higher than when Gerrard played the deep role in 2013.

You can't believe that surely?

You think that Gerrards only contribution in the 13-14 season was from set pieces? That's horse sh*t.  He was brilliant throughout. One of his best seasons for us actually.

In the 13-14 season Stevie played in a much deeper role which we aren't used to seeing him in but his passing was as good as ever. His legs hadn't gone either, watch some of the games from that season again - he was hardly a slow coach. Stevie managed 13 goals and 13 assists that season which suggests you're talking from your arse pal.

biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2016 04:29:03 pm
      Don't go there bro.....go on then ;D

Reina

Clyne          Matip        Agger        Milner

Alonso       Mascha

Gerrard       Coutinho    Suarez

Torres

;D

Current team is the one with the added bonus of Klopp.

My only issue with that team is player positioning, pushing Gerrard, one of the greatest players this club has ever seen who plays as a CM, out wide for Coutinho, a player who plays out wide currently?

Blasphemy I tell you ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #19: Nov 07, 2016 04:43:51 pm
      How Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool compare to Brendan Rodgers' Premier League runners-up

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10649175/how-Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-compare-to-brendan-rodgers-premier-league-runners-up

Apologies on the phone so can't load page...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Nov 07, 2016 04:49:41 pm
      There's no doubt that the 2013/14 season was a blast but it was really only that 14 game run we went on where everything went right and we blew teams out of the water.  The frailties were always there, something I don't think is an issue with this team.

When a lot of us oldies are comparing this team to the 1987/88 team there's really only one winner for me and that's the 2016/17 team.  I know we've won nothing yet but the signs are there that it's a sustainable team/squad that can go on to great things.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Nov 07, 2016 04:58:31 pm
      You can't believe that surely?

You think that Gerrards only contribution in the 13-14 season was from set pieces? That's horse sh*t.  He was brilliant throughout. One of his best seasons for us actually.

In the 13-14 season Stevie played in a much deeper role which we aren't used to seeing him in but his passing was as good as ever. His legs hadn't gone either, watch some of the games from that season again - he was hardly a slow coach. Stevie managed 13 goals and 13 assists that season which suggests you're talking from your arse pal.

You need to go to the opticians. Most of those goals and assists were from the spot and from the dead ball. Shhhhh. Don't let your arse do the talking in future. Thanks.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Nov 07, 2016 05:03:03 pm
      You need to go to the opticians. Most of those goals and assists were from the spot and from the dead ball. Shhhhh. Don't let your arse do the talking in future. Thanks.

He scored something like 10 penalties & 2 free kicks didn't he? Insane set piece taker!
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #23: Nov 07, 2016 05:18:39 pm
      I think the difference is that we saw that team peak and where they finished. where as it still doesn't feel this one has yet (imo) obviously time will tell.

All I'd take from that team is Suarez.   Him in this team now would be rediculous...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #24: Nov 07, 2016 05:23:18 pm
      Not denying he bagged a lot of pens that season but he didn't just contribute with set pieces, he was brilliant that season. How many of his assists were set pieces? I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

I'm not 100% sure on the fixture but I think it was Fulham away, it was a night game from memory, we were struggling and then Gerrard picked a pass out from nowhere, straight down the middle which cut their defence wide open and we scored from it. That's the type of quality he brought to our team that season. His set pieces were just a bonus.

I'm not talking from my arse pal, that's you, gerrard of that season is a better player, leader, captain whatever you want to call it than what Jordan Henderson is right now. Jordan is playing well, but he still isn't fit to lace Gerrards boots even from that season when he was coming towards the end of his career. Ive seen you throw the boot in at Stevie in another thread or two when given the opportunity so maybe you have some strange agenda against him?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #25: Nov 07, 2016 05:26:35 pm
      http://bbc.in/2ffb4pL
      'Liverpool regain license to thrill'.

Posted this in another thread - the stats tell the story.

Even so imagine Suarez in this team??
      Getting light-headed have to leave it there.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 05:39:58 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Nov 07, 2016 05:40:55 pm
      Not denying he bagged a lot of pens that season but he didn't just contribute with set pieces, he was brilliant that season. How many of his assists were set pieces? I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

I'm not 100% sure on the fixture but I think it was Fulham away, it was a night game from memory, we were struggling and then Gerrard picked a pass out from nowhere, straight down the middle which cut their defence wide open and we scored from it. That's the type of quality he brought to our team that season. His set pieces were just a bonus.

I'm not talking from my arse pal, that's you, gerrard of that season is a better player, leader, captain whatever you want to call it than what Jordan Henderson is right now. Jordan is playing well, but he still isn't fit to lace Gerrards boots even from that season when he was coming towards the end of his career. Ive seen you throw the boot in at Stevie in another thread or two when given the opportunity so maybe you have some strange agenda against him?

Nope. Just have an agenda against those who bizarrely hold a cult like status around him like yourself when it was clear he didn't have much more to give. Heck, this forum had a 'We Need to talk about Gerrard' page as early as 2012. No man is bigger than the club but I can only guess you took an exception to this with Gerrard. I wouldn't replace Hendo today with the Gerrard of three seasons ago and I'm certain Klopp wouldn't either. Gerrard from 8-12 years ago - no contest. Best player in the world and the engine to Rafa's great tactics. However, that you choose one isolated moment (the assist that sliced open the Fulham squad for Sturridge to score) to define how he played three years ago as opposed to the reality shows you live in denial. Take away his dead ball ability from that season and you get a shadow of the player he was.

edit: By April 2014 Gerrard had contributed 10 assists in the Premier League that season, 8 of which came from free kicks. Kind of proves my point.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/21/4766020/why-steven-gerrard-has-been-the-epls-top-player-in-2013-14

Now - who was talking from their arse?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Nov 07, 2016 06:02:05 pm
      I still think we're not quite there yet. Suarez and Sturridge may well be the best front 2 the Premier League has ever seen so that edges it for me.

Think the score would be 10-9 mind you.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Nov 07, 2016 06:07:34 pm
      My team with the two combined:

Mignolet 13/14 - Karius has been error prone in the short space of time in goal and I feel he will cost us points at some stage this season
      Clyne 16/17 - Never was a big fan of Johnson and Clyne is way more solid defensively
      Skrtel 13/14 - Obviously prone to the odd clanger but he had a big season then and chipped in with some vital goals
      Lovren 16/17 - Looking the opposite of what he was a year ago. Although still a long way to go to proving the doubters wrong
      Milner 16/17 - Has he been playing left back all his career? Has made the position his own, if only he was younger
      Gerrard 13/14 - His last really successful season where he turned himself into a very effective anchorman
      Henderson 16/17 - His stats are excellent and he provides a great platform for our current front three to play
      Coutinho 16/17 - The best player in the league at the moment in my opinion, wouldn't swap him for anyone
      Mane 16/17 - A serious upgrade on 13/14 Sterling and is looking a steal for £30m so far
      Sturridge 13/14 - A pity I'm not saying Studge from this season but SAS has to be in this
      Suarez 13/14 - No description needed, the best player I've ever seen wear a Liverpool jersey

So thats 6-5 to the current team. I do believe that this current side is further ahead than that though in terms of depth. Lets hope they can also go one better!!! The major factor in that is with no disrespect to Rodgers, he's not Jürgen KLOPP!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Nov 07, 2016 06:23:36 pm
      The general play of the team today just seems a lot more torturous for opposition teams and I genuinely believe opposition teams are having to work a lot harder than they've ever done against Liverpool, maybe any Premier League side. Brendan did amazing to unlock the ferocity out of that attack three years ago but I don't believe we were as relentless and unforgiving as we are today. No player in this team today seems like a free rider riding on the back of better players ahead of them (Skrtel, Johnson etc). There is a balanced state of of brilliance across the team today compared to three years ago where the quality was centralised almost entirely within the attack.

I've never known a Liverpool team before this season where the opposition manager and players have come out after the match discussing our play in helpless disbelief as many are of late. Curtis Davies after the Hull game said 'they didn't give us a chance to breathe'. Danny Rose said the Spurs match at the start of the season up against Mane was 'the toughest game I've ever played in for years'. There's bags of energy in this team where we can score goals at any point of the match and we don't seem to expend so much energy to the point where we seem more worried by conceding in the second half of games as was the case under Brendan.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 07:26:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #30: Nov 07, 2016 06:28:37 pm
      Honestly think the current side would tear the 13/14 defense apart. Our current defense is also much better and wouldn't make it easy for even the SSS attack line-up.
      Would make a very exciting game for sure.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Nov 07, 2016 06:41:13 pm

Mignolet 13/14 - Karius has been error prone in the short space of time in goal and I feel he will cost us points at some stage this season
      Clyne 16/17 - Never was a big fan of Johnson and Clyne is way more solid defensively
      Skrtel 13/14 - Obviously prone to the odd clanger but he had a big season then and chipped in with some vital goals
      Lovren 16/17 - Looking the opposite of what he was a year ago. Although still a long way to go to proving the doubters wrong
      Milner 16/17 - Has he been playing left back all his career? Has made the position his own, if only he was younger
      Gerrard 13/14 - His last really successful season where he turned himself into a very effective anchorman
      Henderson 16/17 - His stats are excellent and he provides a great platform for our current front three to play
      Coutinho 16/17 - The best player in the league at the moment in my opinion, wouldn't swap him for anyone
      Mane 16/17 - A serious upgrade on 13/14 Sterling and is looking a steal for £30m so far
      Sturridge 13/14 - A pity I'm not saying Studge from this season but SAS has to be in this
      Suarez 13/14 - No description needed, the best player I've ever seen wear a Liverpool jersey

So thats 6-5 to the current team. I do believe that this current side is further ahead than that though in terms of depth. Lets hope they can also go one better!!! The major factor in that is with no disrespect to Rodgers, he's not Jürgen KLOPP!!!

You'd take Migs because he's less error prone than Karius, What the actual F**k???? Same incredulity about Skrtel over Matip, have yo perhaps forgotten how many goals we conceded that season and how sh*te the defence was? Also on current form I'd take Lallana and Firmino over Sturridge of 13/14 but that one is pretty close. In fact about the only player I'd take from the 13/14 team is Suarez and maybe Stevie G.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Nov 07, 2016 06:43:38 pm

You would take Skrtel over Matip?....yeah Skrtel scored like 5 goals but he had like 4 OG's if I remember.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Nov 07, 2016 06:55:46 pm
      You would take Skrtel over Matip?....yeah Skrtel scored like 5 goals but he had like 4 OG's if I remember.

I'd rather play with 10 men than have Skrtel in my team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #34: Nov 07, 2016 07:00:23 pm

How did he manage to play so many games for a team like Liverpool.............!

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2016 07:05:47 pm
      I had this exact thought few days ago and had a look at the 13/14 squad couldn't believe how poor the depth of it was this squad wins easily

He scored loads of goals that season wasn't far off double figures
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2016 07:05:57 pm
      How did he manage to play so many games for a team like Liverpool.............!

Injuries, retirements and a list of different managers. Our defence was never good when he was in it. On the days we looked good it was only when we played backs to the walls, West Brom type defending. Klopp comes in, doesn't fuss and he's gone. A mid to lower table player who successfully achieved mid table status with us on a few occasions so he fulfilled his potential in that respect.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2016 07:11:28 pm
      As an aside you have to include the quality of the bench in this discussion as well.

There's little debate to be had and it's best defined by what happened yesterday. Sturridge comes off the bench and makes an impact. Three years ago Aspas comes off the bench and makes a tit of himself.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2016 07:16:02 pm
      As an aside you have to include the quality of the bench in this discussion as well.

There's little debate to be had and it's best defined by what happened yesterday. Sturridge comes off the bench and makes an impact. Three years ago Aspas comes off the bench and makes a tit of himself.

Truth be told of all the 13/14 players we had the only one I would want in today's team would be Suarez, its not a knock on SG..but even the 13/14 version would struggle to make it with this high-press we have going today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: Nov 07, 2016 07:24:31 pm
      Truth be told of all the 13/14 players we had the only one I would want in today's team would be Suarez, its not a knock on SG..but even the 13/14 version would struggle to make it with this high-press we have going today.

Gerrard couldn't do the pressing game in 2013/2014. He was too slow. Everyone in the team today can do the pressing game and we look a more complete/holistic unit, and a better team, for it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Nov 07, 2016 09:44:07 pm
      What a question. Great question, even.

Kinell. Can't answer yet I don't think.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #41: Nov 07, 2016 10:07:59 pm
      You'd take Migs because he's less error prone than Karius, What the actual f**k???? Same incredulity about Skrtel over Matip, have yo perhaps forgotten how many goals we conceded that season and how sh*te the defence was? Also on current form I'd take Lallana and Firmino over Sturridge of 13/14 but that one is pretty close. In fact about the only player I'd take from the 13/14 team is Suarez and maybe Stevie G.

I'd take Migs because every game I've watched Karius in thus far he has looked disastrous. I'd choose Skrtel because he scored so many goals that season and Matip has only played a handful of games for Liverpool to be picked. And Sturridge scored 21 league goals and had a lethal partnership with Suarez so that is not even up for debate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #42: Nov 07, 2016 10:21:31 pm
      I'd take Migs because every game I've watched Karius in thus far he has looked disastrous. I'd choose Skrtel because he scored so many goals that season and Matip has only played a handful of games for Liverpool to be picked. And Sturridge scored 21 league goals and had a lethal partnership with Suarez so that is not even up for debate.

Should have seen Loris yesterday he was Ace.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #43: Nov 07, 2016 10:24:29 pm
      Nope. Just have an agenda against those who bizarrely hold a cult like status around him like yourself when it was clear he didn't have much more to give. Heck, this forum had a 'We Need to talk about Gerrard' page as early as 2012. No man is bigger than the club but I can only guess you took an exception to this with Gerrard. I wouldn't replace Hendo today with the Gerrard of three seasons ago and I'm certain Klopp wouldn't either. Gerrard from 8-12 years ago - no contest. Best player in the world and the engine to Rafa's great tactics. However, that you choose one isolated moment (the assist that sliced open the Fulham squad for Sturridge to score) to define how he played three years ago as opposed to the reality shows you live in denial. Take away his dead ball ability from that season and you get a shadow of the player he was.

edit: By April 2014 Gerrard had contributed 10 assists in the Premier League that season, 8 of which came from free kicks. Kind of proves my point.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/21/4766020/why-steven-gerrard-has-been-the-epls-top-player-in-2013-14

Now - who was talking from their arse?

So he bagged three goals and five assists playing as a DM, if we're not including set pieces. Not bad really for an old man who can't run.

You're talking out of your arse just like you do whenever you mention Gerrard. You have some proper strange agenda when it comes to him. Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something? Do you hold him responsible for not winning the league? You need to get over it whatever it is.

He contributed far more than taking a few free kicks or some pens. I could sit and give example after example but I won't bother, I have a season ticket and remember his performances well, some obviously don't. Or refuse to because they have this agenda.

Don't give a sh*t about some topic somebody made either, go in his player thread and see if people are mocking his performances each week of that season then. It's probably only you.

Im not talking about whether Gerrard of three seasons ago would get into a Jürgen klopp side - our current side. The styles of play and the players we have are different. 

Gerrard was vital to the 13-14 team despite you trying to mock him by making out he was an old man who was past it who could only contribute by hitting a dead ball. Absolute bollocks.

Jordan is playing really well at the moment, I've been praising him each week in other threads, but I think we can cope without him if he suffers an injury. I think Can, Lucas or even Stewart are capable of coming in and doing a job until he returns.

If Gerrard got injured in the 13-14 season then no way would we have been the same side. We would have lost games no doubt about it. But if Jordan takes a knock, it's my opinion we will cope. So Gerrard was more important to us in 13-14 than what Jordan is now.

And Gerrard is a big reason why I think the 13-14 side would beat our current one. He helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #44: Nov 07, 2016 10:42:37 pm
      So he bagged three goals and five assists playing as a DM, if we're not including set pieces. Not bad really for an old man who can't run.

You're talking out of your arse just like you do whenever you mention Gerrard. You have some proper strange agenda when it comes to him. Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something? Do you hold him responsible for not winning the league? You need to get over it whatever it is.

He contributed far more than taking a few free kicks or some pens. I could sit and give example after example but I won't bother, I have a season ticket and remember his performances well, some obviously don't. Or refuse to because they have this agenda.

Don't give a sh*t about some topic somebody made either, go in his player thread and see if people are mocking his performances each week of that season then. It's probably only you.

Im not talking about whether Gerrard of three seasons ago would get into a Jürgen klopp side - our current side. The styles of play and the players we have are different. 

Gerrard was vital to the 13-14 team despite you trying to mock him by making out he was an old man who was past it who could only contribute by hitting a dead ball. Absolute bollocks.

Jordan is playing really well at the moment, I've been praising him each week in other threads, but I think we can cope without him if he suffers an injury. I think Can, Lucas or even Stewart are capable of coming in and doing a job until he returns.

If Gerrard got injured in the 13-14 season then no way would we have been the same side. We would have lost games no doubt about it. But if Jordan takes a knock, it's my opinion we will cope. So Gerrard was more important to us in 13-14 than what Jordan is now.

And Gerrard is a big reason why I think the 13-14 side would beat our current one. He helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny.

Well this is just all kinds of irrational stupidity. What kind of terrible eyes do you have to not see the praise I give Gerrard in the season in the initial comment below? Pay more attention.

2016-2017...by some considerable margin.

For sure we might not have any one individual player as outstanding as Luis Suarez (we probably never will have a player as fine as him).

You don't win Premier League titles with Flanagan, Skrtel and Johnson leading the way in defence. In hindsight I think it was remarkable we got that close with those players in the defence because they are, to put it kindly, not good defenders. Klopp comes in and converts Milner to left back. He buys a world class defender for free and a handy deputy for a couple of million much better than Skrtel and Toure. As for Karius - I have no doubt that he is and will be a better keeper than Mignolet. So already we have a back line that is supremely better than the one of 2013/2014.

The idea that only Gerrard got the best out of Suarez and Sturridge is also probably the most moronic comment I've read on here for a long time. Unless Gerrard has some sort of supernatural power (which you probably believe he does. Childish fandom pal - grow up) by which he can control the quality of Suarez's game at Barcelona where he has continued his unstoppable form then I suggest you consider revising that laughable comment. 

I don't think you're overestimating Gerrard's impact on the team three years ago, I know you are. I seem to recall we did pretty well without him away to Tottenham with a midfield trio of Hendo, Allen and Lucas. We won 5-0. Suarez played an absolute blinder too. No Gerrard. Would we have come so close in 2008-2009 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have won the Champions League in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have come so close in 2013-2014 without him? With Suarez in the team - of course we would have. But that you suggest that we almost won the title in 2014 because of Gerrard is completely destroyed by the season that followed it when we did have Gerrard but didn't have Suarez. Just pathetic thinking pal. Boy I'd love to see you explain that one. Actually on second thought, don't bother.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 10:54:01 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #45: Nov 07, 2016 11:33:59 pm

Well this is just all kinds of irrational stupidity. What kind of terrible eyes do you have to not see the praise I give Gerrard in the season in the initial comment below? Pay more attention.

The idea that only Gerrard got the best out of Suarez and Sturridge is also probably the most moronic comment I've read on here for a long time. Unless Gerrard has some sort of supernatural power (which you probably believe he does. Childish fandom pal - grow up) by which he can control the quality of Suarez's game at Barcelona where he has continued his unstoppable form then I suggest you consider revising that laughable comment. 

I don't think you're overestimating Gerrard's impact on the team three years ago, I know you are. I seem to recall we did pretty well without him away to Tottenham with a midfield trio of Hendo, Allen and Lucas. We won 5-0. Suarez played an absolute blinder too. No Gerrard. Would we have come so close in 2008-2009 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have won the Champions League in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have come so close in 2013-2014 without him? With Suarez in the team - of course we would have. But that you suggest that we almost won the title in 2014 because of Gerrard is completely destroyed by the season that followed it when we did have Gerrard but didn't have Suarez. Just pathetic thinking pal. Boy I'd love to see you explain that one. Actually on second thought, don't bother.

I said he helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny. I didn't say he was the sole reason. I said he helped.

Whenever somebody praises Gerrard on here you call them a child. It's bizarre.

Gerrard played well in the 13-14 season, I went to 19 home games and 4 aways that's season. I remember it well.

You can disagree because you obviously have an agenda against him like I've said. So we will leave it there.

Oh. One final thing before I do stop replying to your gibberish, we also won plenty of games that season without Luis too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #46: Nov 07, 2016 11:51:10 pm
      Gerrard was at his peak when Torres was up front, not Suarez.

He had a decent enough season in 2013-14 - he probably should have left at the end of it rather than being made a mug of in his final season with us.

Don't see why people need to make a big argument out of the one player though - team sport remember.  Actually, even though he was definitely past his peak I'd probably have Gerrard from that season and Henderson from this in a good collection of the team.

After that Suarez in for say Firmino, Sturridge 13-14 in for Lallana.  Three definites from the 2013-14 side.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #47: Nov 07, 2016 11:52:03 pm
      The current side 7/10 times for me for 3 reasons: 

1.  We are a more complete side now.  We aren't over reliant not any 1 or 2 players and we can punish teams with our press, on the counter, and/or after a spell of sustained possession. 

2.  We have more of a "winning mentality" this season.  It starts with the manager and transfers through to the players and fans.  Even if we go a goal or two down, I still have complete faith that we will mount a comeback.  While we were scintillating  few seasons back, I seem to remember we were very jittery every time we had to play from behind. 

3.  Statistically speaking, Suarez would have been banned for 2 or 3 of the 10 games and Sturgeon would have been on the treatment table for 5 of them!!    :lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #48: Nov 07, 2016 11:54:23 pm
      Oh. One final thing before I do stop replying to your gibberish, we also won plenty of games that season without Luis too.

We won 3 out of 5, all 1-0. First 3 games.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Nov 08, 2016 12:03:33 am
      I said he helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny. I didn't say he was the sole reason. I said he helped.

Whenever somebody praises Gerrard on here you call them a child. It's bizarre.

Gerrard played well in the 13-14 season, I went to 19 home games and 4 aways that's season. I remember it well.

You can disagree because you obviously have an agenda against him like I've said. So we will leave it there.

Not calling anyone who calls Gerrard a child - just you. You remember it well? Patently not.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #50: Nov 08, 2016 08:52:30 am
      The more expensive team, with the better manager, for me but only just...

This team with a Luis Suarez?....

Ho. Lee. F**k!  :o

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2016 09:04:27 am by bad boy bubby »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: Nov 08, 2016 09:05:51 am
      The more expensive team with the better manager, for me but only just...

This team with a Luis Suarez?....

Ho. Lee. F**k!  :o

And I think Suarez would of enjoyed playing for Jürgen Klopp and our curreny squad,he would be a revelation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: Nov 08, 2016 09:12:00 am
      The "weird" thing is the amount of 'Rodgers' signings in each team (in o. p.).

Although (for me) the progression is more about from last season to now. Anyways...

Thank F**k for evolution.  :laugh:

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #53: Nov 08, 2016 09:14:08 am
      And I think Suarez would of enjoyed playing for Jürgen Klopp and our curreny squad,he would be a revelation.

I'm glad you agree Billy. We'd scare the sh*te out of teams and win games without kicking a ball.  :laugh:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #54: Nov 08, 2016 11:25:07 am

Jürgen Klopp

Correct... But If the 2013/14 side had Klopp I would have to go for them... Still not really sure... I would give it to the 2013/14 team given that there where IMO better teams around then and player wise in the whole the premier league was better... In that Year 2013/14,With the team Leicester City had last season, they not win the Premier League due to the strength of it back then....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #55: Nov 08, 2016 11:29:52 am
      Correct... But If the 2013/14 side had Klopp I would have to go for them... Still not really sure... I would give it to the 2013/14 team given that there where IMO better teams around then and player wise in the whole the premier league was better... In that Year 2013/14,With the team Leicester City had last season, they not win the Premier League due to the strength of it back then....

2013/14 Utd had Moyes, Pocch was still at Saints and Maureen had just taken over the disaster of Di Matteo.
      And City had the gentleman.

Compare that to now.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #56: Nov 08, 2016 11:54:25 am
      I have to go with our current team.

I think if you take into account the depth of the squad as well then our current team wins it hands down. The fact that one of our star players of 13/14 now finds himself on the bench show's how well we are playing.

In a straight shoot out though we are seeing the mignolet vs karius one played out at present and although the jury is still out on Karius I think we all want to see him in goal ahead of Migs although not forgetting Mignolet won player of the month for us in September of that season.

Some other players stepped up their game too, Skrtel scored 7 goals for us in the 13/14 season. That's 3 more than Coutinho and Henderson.

If I was making a starting XI out of the two I would go with:

Karius
      Clyne     Matip       Lovren      Milner

Gerrard        Henderson
                      Coutinho
      Mane           Suarez        Firmino

Other than Suarez and Gerrard I wouldn't change a thing!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #57: Nov 08, 2016 12:26:54 pm
      2013/14 Utd had Moyes, Pocch was still at Saints and Maureen had just taken over the disaster of Di Matteo.

Compare that to now.

True, but Pep, Mourinho, Conte are all in their first season. Despite the resources they have, if one of them wins the league this season it would be a good achievement.

Jürgen is obviously a big factor when comparing our current side to our 13-14 one. I liked Brendan but he couldn't grasp how to win when it mattered most. Jürgen on the other hand knows how to win big games. That reason alone, I think this team will go further than what our 13-14 side did.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #58: Nov 08, 2016 12:51:59 pm
      Jürgen is obviously a big factor when comparing our current side to our 13-14 one. I liked Brendan but he couldn't grasp how to win when it mattered most. Jürgen on the other hand knows how to win big games.

Just to play devils advocate and not to be a dick...

Klopp has an awful record in finals so that isn't necessarily true.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #59: Nov 08, 2016 04:47:20 pm
      Difficult one this,  both sides were/are very good and you could make a good argument for both hence the debate,  but I think the telling difference is the managers,  so for this reason I'm going our current unfinished X1,
      It has been mentioned above about how Klopp's record in finals isn't the best,  I can't remember too many finals we reached under TPM, and it's safe to say we will be in a few more under Jürgen,

So I'm in the 16/17 camp.

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #60: Nov 08, 2016 05:17:37 pm
      The real difference, apart from the massive upgrade in manager, is the defence, this team actually has one. In midfield and attack I'd say its probably pretty even.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #61: Nov 08, 2016 05:43:11 pm
      Should have seen Loris yesterday he was Ace.

He had f**k all to do in a one sided game! Everything he did you'd expect from any keeper!
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #62: Nov 08, 2016 05:48:35 pm
      It'd depend what sort of mood Suarez was in, in truth. As a team, no contest, this current group of lads is the best I've seen in my 16 years following Liverpool.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #63: Nov 08, 2016 08:34:24 pm
      He had f**k all to do in a one sided game! Everything he did you'd expect from any keeper!

Is that right? 

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/795537873944674304

Yeah he did F**k all Im sure you could have deputised  :lmao:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #64: Nov 08, 2016 10:19:05 pm
      I'd take the 13/14 Flanno for balance - as well as Milner has played.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #65: Nov 09, 2016 12:30:06 am
      I think this is a better team than 2013/14 - more balanced and goals coming from all over the park, we were far to reliant on Suarez and Studge two years ago.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 455 
      Reply #66: Nov 09, 2016 01:34:16 am
      That team came mighty close better that campaign and the title was ours.  In fact that team would have walked the league last season.  I think this team is better it has a defense which is improving all the time, unlike the previous team.  But that team had a much better strike force the SAS were clinical. This team is a lot more balanced with a far better manager. 
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #67: Nov 09, 2016 12:21:27 pm
      The 16/17 team would probably win 6-5
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #68: Nov 09, 2016 03:45:07 pm
      Would take Suarez in a heartbeat - imagine him in this side, we would be unstoppable... Gerrard, in his prime was just world class, simple as that.

Add those two into this side and we would be humiliating teams weekly - not beating them, humiliating them. Would back us for almost everything with Klopp managing us.
      Tadders

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #69: Nov 09, 2016 04:27:10 pm

Yep agree with that. Although it has been said,when you took Suarez out of the team it just didnt work did it, he made everything tick. The big difference between this team is that (and i hate to say it) we could afford an injury to one of the front 4 as they all know how we are supposed to play, and we have backup options. I don't actually think Brendan had a lot to do with how we played, he sounded for the most part like one of us.  - we are top of the league!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #70: Nov 10, 2016 11:56:40 pm
      Is that right? 

Yeah he did f**k all Im sure you could have deputised  :lmao:

Every single one of them saves were easy mate! Not one that would have troubled a Sunday league keeper!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #71: Nov 11, 2016 12:24:48 am
      Is that right? 

Yeah he did f**k all Im sure you could have deputised  :lmao:

I noticed he had quite a few actually - reminded me of Given @ Newcastle in 2008..
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #72: Nov 11, 2016 12:37:25 am
      I noticed he had quite a few actually - reminded me of Given @ Newcastle in 2008..

Yes thank God we had Karius against Watford! Thank God! The saves he made were simply out of this world! He is truly a top class goalkeeper after that outstanding performance!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: Nov 11, 2016 12:41:51 am
      Every single one of them saves were easy mate! Not one that would have troubled a Sunday league keeper!

Were they f**k easy saves. There's one from outside the box that goes through a few bodies that's flying into the corner of the net before Karius sees it and he's still able to parry it away for a throw in.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #74: Nov 11, 2016 02:11:47 am

Yes thank God we had Karius against Watford! Thank God! The saves he made were simply out of this world! He is truly a top class goalkeeper after that outstanding performance!

RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #75: Nov 11, 2016 05:30:39 am

Making a bit of a n*b of yourself now.

God knows why the knives are out for Karius, they have been since day 1. He hasn't made any major f**k ups that I can recall and he's adapting to a new league, cut the kid some slack because the alternative is f**king Migs and I can certainly recall a few f**k ups from that guy.
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2016 05:07:50 pm by RedWilly »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Nov 11, 2016 08:00:58 am

Is that you Simon?
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #77: Nov 11, 2016 09:25:23 am
      People wanting Mignolet brought back into the team are the same fickle lot that were calling for his head.

They won't be happy until we have Neuer in goal.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #78: Nov 11, 2016 09:51:24 am
      Making a bit of a n*b of yourself now.

God knows where the knives are out for Karius, they have been since day 1. He hasn't made any major f**k ups that I can recall and he's adapting to a new league, give the kid some slack because the alternative is f**king Migs and I can certainly recall a few f**k ups from thst guy.

No I'm happy to keep him in goal. Not doubting his ability. He is a young lad coming to a new country, new league and he hasn't cost us any points yet. I'm just not going to praise him for making a few saves in a one sided game. I expect those saves from any keeper.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #79: Nov 11, 2016 01:17:53 pm
      Obviously this team, much more balanced and playing better football in my opinion. That Rodgers team was class but clearly relied on Suarez way too much. When he was out, we didn't look anywhere near as potent. We won a bunch of games without him, but usually 1-0.

This team looks much more interchangeable. It is a worry if Couts gets injured, but looks like Studge or Origi can come in and the shape and style remains intact.

Still poor defensively...can't seem to sort this out.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #80: Nov 11, 2016 11:00:35 pm
      People wanting Mignolet brought back into the team are the same fickle lot that were calling for his head.

They won't be happy until we have Neuer in goal.

I'll admit I was one of the doubters at first, but watching him play I can see why he's managed to keep the top spot, the only problem now is will Simon get cheesed off sitting on the bench every week....
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #81: Nov 18, 2016 10:56:49 am

Compare that to now.
      Maybe so but the overall quality of player in the Premier league was still better back then

Quick Reply