Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which is the better LFC team?

2013-14
      (12.3%)
      2016-17
      (87.7%)

Liverpool side 2013-14 v 2016-17 - Who wins?

Read 9119 times
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Re: Liverpool side 2013-14 v 2016-17 - Who wins?
      Reply #23: Nov 07, 2016 05:18:39 pm
      I think the difference is that we saw that team peak and where they finished. where as it still doesn't feel this one has yet (imo) obviously time will tell.

All I'd take from that team is Suarez.   Him in this team now would be rediculous...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #24: Nov 07, 2016 05:23:18 pm
      Not denying he bagged a lot of pens that season but he didn't just contribute with set pieces, he was brilliant that season. How many of his assists were set pieces? I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

I'm not 100% sure on the fixture but I think it was Fulham away, it was a night game from memory, we were struggling and then Gerrard picked a pass out from nowhere, straight down the middle which cut their defence wide open and we scored from it. That's the type of quality he brought to our team that season. His set pieces were just a bonus.

I'm not talking from my arse pal, that's you, gerrard of that season is a better player, leader, captain whatever you want to call it than what Jordan Henderson is right now. Jordan is playing well, but he still isn't fit to lace Gerrards boots even from that season when he was coming towards the end of his career. Ive seen you throw the boot in at Stevie in another thread or two when given the opportunity so maybe you have some strange agenda against him?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25: Nov 07, 2016 05:26:35 pm
      http://bbc.in/2ffb4pL
      'Liverpool regain license to thrill'.

Posted this in another thread - the stats tell the story.

Even so imagine Suarez in this team??
      Getting light-headed have to leave it there.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 05:39:58 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Nov 07, 2016 05:40:55 pm
      Not denying he bagged a lot of pens that season but he didn't just contribute with set pieces, he was brilliant that season. How many of his assists were set pieces? I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

I'm not 100% sure on the fixture but I think it was Fulham away, it was a night game from memory, we were struggling and then Gerrard picked a pass out from nowhere, straight down the middle which cut their defence wide open and we scored from it. That's the type of quality he brought to our team that season. His set pieces were just a bonus.

I'm not talking from my arse pal, that's you, gerrard of that season is a better player, leader, captain whatever you want to call it than what Jordan Henderson is right now. Jordan is playing well, but he still isn't fit to lace Gerrards boots even from that season when he was coming towards the end of his career. Ive seen you throw the boot in at Stevie in another thread or two when given the opportunity so maybe you have some strange agenda against him?

Nope. Just have an agenda against those who bizarrely hold a cult like status around him like yourself when it was clear he didn't have much more to give. Heck, this forum had a 'We Need to talk about Gerrard' page as early as 2012. No man is bigger than the club but I can only guess you took an exception to this with Gerrard. I wouldn't replace Hendo today with the Gerrard of three seasons ago and I'm certain Klopp wouldn't either. Gerrard from 8-12 years ago - no contest. Best player in the world and the engine to Rafa's great tactics. However, that you choose one isolated moment (the assist that sliced open the Fulham squad for Sturridge to score) to define how he played three years ago as opposed to the reality shows you live in denial. Take away his dead ball ability from that season and you get a shadow of the player he was.

edit: By April 2014 Gerrard had contributed 10 assists in the Premier League that season, 8 of which came from free kicks. Kind of proves my point.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/21/4766020/why-steven-gerrard-has-been-the-epls-top-player-in-2013-14

Now - who was talking from their arse?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Nov 07, 2016 06:02:05 pm
      I still think we're not quite there yet. Suarez and Sturridge may well be the best front 2 the Premier League has ever seen so that edges it for me.

Think the score would be 10-9 mind you.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Nov 07, 2016 06:07:34 pm
      My team with the two combined:

Mignolet 13/14 - Karius has been error prone in the short space of time in goal and I feel he will cost us points at some stage this season
      Clyne 16/17 - Never was a big fan of Johnson and Clyne is way more solid defensively
      Skrtel 13/14 - Obviously prone to the odd clanger but he had a big season then and chipped in with some vital goals
      Lovren 16/17 - Looking the opposite of what he was a year ago. Although still a long way to go to proving the doubters wrong
      Milner 16/17 - Has he been playing left back all his career? Has made the position his own, if only he was younger
      Gerrard 13/14 - His last really successful season where he turned himself into a very effective anchorman
      Henderson 16/17 - His stats are excellent and he provides a great platform for our current front three to play
      Coutinho 16/17 - The best player in the league at the moment in my opinion, wouldn't swap him for anyone
      Mane 16/17 - A serious upgrade on 13/14 Sterling and is looking a steal for £30m so far
      Sturridge 13/14 - A pity I'm not saying Studge from this season but SAS has to be in this
      Suarez 13/14 - No description needed, the best player I've ever seen wear a Liverpool jersey

So thats 6-5 to the current team. I do believe that this current side is further ahead than that though in terms of depth. Lets hope they can also go one better!!! The major factor in that is with no disrespect to Rodgers, he's not Jürgen KLOPP!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Nov 07, 2016 06:23:36 pm
      The general play of the team today just seems a lot more torturous for opposition teams and I genuinely believe opposition teams are having to work a lot harder than they've ever done against Liverpool, maybe any Premier League side. Brendan did amazing to unlock the ferocity out of that attack three years ago but I don't believe we were as relentless and unforgiving as we are today. No player in this team today seems like a free rider riding on the back of better players ahead of them (Skrtel, Johnson etc). There is a balanced state of of brilliance across the team today compared to three years ago where the quality was centralised almost entirely within the attack.

I've never known a Liverpool team before this season where the opposition manager and players have come out after the match discussing our play in helpless disbelief as many are of late. Curtis Davies after the Hull game said 'they didn't give us a chance to breathe'. Danny Rose said the Spurs match at the start of the season up against Mane was 'the toughest game I've ever played in for years'. There's bags of energy in this team where we can score goals at any point of the match and we don't seem to expend so much energy to the point where we seem more worried by conceding in the second half of games as was the case under Brendan.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 07:26:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #30: Nov 07, 2016 06:28:37 pm
      Honestly think the current side would tear the 13/14 defense apart. Our current defense is also much better and wouldn't make it easy for even the SSS attack line-up.
      Would make a very exciting game for sure.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Nov 07, 2016 06:41:13 pm

Mignolet 13/14 - Karius has been error prone in the short space of time in goal and I feel he will cost us points at some stage this season
      Clyne 16/17 - Never was a big fan of Johnson and Clyne is way more solid defensively
      Skrtel 13/14 - Obviously prone to the odd clanger but he had a big season then and chipped in with some vital goals
      Lovren 16/17 - Looking the opposite of what he was a year ago. Although still a long way to go to proving the doubters wrong
      Milner 16/17 - Has he been playing left back all his career? Has made the position his own, if only he was younger
      Gerrard 13/14 - His last really successful season where he turned himself into a very effective anchorman
      Henderson 16/17 - His stats are excellent and he provides a great platform for our current front three to play
      Coutinho 16/17 - The best player in the league at the moment in my opinion, wouldn't swap him for anyone
      Mane 16/17 - A serious upgrade on 13/14 Sterling and is looking a steal for £30m so far
      Sturridge 13/14 - A pity I'm not saying Studge from this season but SAS has to be in this
      Suarez 13/14 - No description needed, the best player I've ever seen wear a Liverpool jersey

So thats 6-5 to the current team. I do believe that this current side is further ahead than that though in terms of depth. Lets hope they can also go one better!!! The major factor in that is with no disrespect to Rodgers, he's not Jürgen KLOPP!!!

You'd take Migs because he's less error prone than Karius, What the actual F**k???? Same incredulity about Skrtel over Matip, have yo perhaps forgotten how many goals we conceded that season and how sh*te the defence was? Also on current form I'd take Lallana and Firmino over Sturridge of 13/14 but that one is pretty close. In fact about the only player I'd take from the 13/14 team is Suarez and maybe Stevie G.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Nov 07, 2016 06:43:38 pm

You would take Skrtel over Matip?....yeah Skrtel scored like 5 goals but he had like 4 OG's if I remember.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Nov 07, 2016 06:55:46 pm
      You would take Skrtel over Matip?....yeah Skrtel scored like 5 goals but he had like 4 OG's if I remember.

I'd rather play with 10 men than have Skrtel in my team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #34: Nov 07, 2016 07:00:23 pm

How did he manage to play so many games for a team like Liverpool.............!

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Nov 07, 2016 07:05:47 pm
      I had this exact thought few days ago and had a look at the 13/14 squad couldn't believe how poor the depth of it was this squad wins easily

He scored loads of goals that season wasn't far off double figures
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Nov 07, 2016 07:05:57 pm
      How did he manage to play so many games for a team like Liverpool.............!

Injuries, retirements and a list of different managers. Our defence was never good when he was in it. On the days we looked good it was only when we played backs to the walls, West Brom type defending. Klopp comes in, doesn't fuss and he's gone. A mid to lower table player who successfully achieved mid table status with us on a few occasions so he fulfilled his potential in that respect.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Nov 07, 2016 07:11:28 pm
      As an aside you have to include the quality of the bench in this discussion as well.

There's little debate to be had and it's best defined by what happened yesterday. Sturridge comes off the bench and makes an impact. Three years ago Aspas comes off the bench and makes a tit of himself.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #38: Nov 07, 2016 07:16:02 pm
      As an aside you have to include the quality of the bench in this discussion as well.

There's little debate to be had and it's best defined by what happened yesterday. Sturridge comes off the bench and makes an impact. Three years ago Aspas comes off the bench and makes a tit of himself.

Truth be told of all the 13/14 players we had the only one I would want in today's team would be Suarez, its not a knock on SG..but even the 13/14 version would struggle to make it with this high-press we have going today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: Nov 07, 2016 07:24:31 pm
      Truth be told of all the 13/14 players we had the only one I would want in today's team would be Suarez, its not a knock on SG..but even the 13/14 version would struggle to make it with this high-press we have going today.

Gerrard couldn't do the pressing game in 2013/2014. He was too slow. Everyone in the team today can do the pressing game and we look a more complete/holistic unit, and a better team, for it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #40: Nov 07, 2016 09:44:07 pm
      What a question. Great question, even.

Kinell. Can't answer yet I don't think.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #41: Nov 07, 2016 10:07:59 pm
      You'd take Migs because he's less error prone than Karius, What the actual f**k???? Same incredulity about Skrtel over Matip, have yo perhaps forgotten how many goals we conceded that season and how sh*te the defence was? Also on current form I'd take Lallana and Firmino over Sturridge of 13/14 but that one is pretty close. In fact about the only player I'd take from the 13/14 team is Suarez and maybe Stevie G.

I'd take Migs because every game I've watched Karius in thus far he has looked disastrous. I'd choose Skrtel because he scored so many goals that season and Matip has only played a handful of games for Liverpool to be picked. And Sturridge scored 21 league goals and had a lethal partnership with Suarez so that is not even up for debate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #42: Nov 07, 2016 10:21:31 pm
      I'd take Migs because every game I've watched Karius in thus far he has looked disastrous. I'd choose Skrtel because he scored so many goals that season and Matip has only played a handful of games for Liverpool to be picked. And Sturridge scored 21 league goals and had a lethal partnership with Suarez so that is not even up for debate.

Should have seen Loris yesterday he was Ace.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #43: Nov 07, 2016 10:24:29 pm
      Nope. Just have an agenda against those who bizarrely hold a cult like status around him like yourself when it was clear he didn't have much more to give. Heck, this forum had a 'We Need to talk about Gerrard' page as early as 2012. No man is bigger than the club but I can only guess you took an exception to this with Gerrard. I wouldn't replace Hendo today with the Gerrard of three seasons ago and I'm certain Klopp wouldn't either. Gerrard from 8-12 years ago - no contest. Best player in the world and the engine to Rafa's great tactics. However, that you choose one isolated moment (the assist that sliced open the Fulham squad for Sturridge to score) to define how he played three years ago as opposed to the reality shows you live in denial. Take away his dead ball ability from that season and you get a shadow of the player he was.

edit: By April 2014 Gerrard had contributed 10 assists in the Premier League that season, 8 of which came from free kicks. Kind of proves my point.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/21/4766020/why-steven-gerrard-has-been-the-epls-top-player-in-2013-14

Now - who was talking from their arse?

So he bagged three goals and five assists playing as a DM, if we're not including set pieces. Not bad really for an old man who can't run.

You're talking out of your arse just like you do whenever you mention Gerrard. You have some proper strange agenda when it comes to him. Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something? Do you hold him responsible for not winning the league? You need to get over it whatever it is.

He contributed far more than taking a few free kicks or some pens. I could sit and give example after example but I won't bother, I have a season ticket and remember his performances well, some obviously don't. Or refuse to because they have this agenda.

Don't give a sh*t about some topic somebody made either, go in his player thread and see if people are mocking his performances each week of that season then. It's probably only you.

Im not talking about whether Gerrard of three seasons ago would get into a Jürgen klopp side - our current side. The styles of play and the players we have are different. 

Gerrard was vital to the 13-14 team despite you trying to mock him by making out he was an old man who was past it who could only contribute by hitting a dead ball. Absolute bollocks.

Jordan is playing really well at the moment, I've been praising him each week in other threads, but I think we can cope without him if he suffers an injury. I think Can, Lucas or even Stewart are capable of coming in and doing a job until he returns.

If Gerrard got injured in the 13-14 season then no way would we have been the same side. We would have lost games no doubt about it. But if Jordan takes a knock, it's my opinion we will cope. So Gerrard was more important to us in 13-14 than what Jordan is now.

And Gerrard is a big reason why I think the 13-14 side would beat our current one. He helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #44: Nov 07, 2016 10:42:37 pm
      So he bagged three goals and five assists playing as a DM, if we're not including set pieces. Not bad really for an old man who can't run.

You're talking out of your arse just like you do whenever you mention Gerrard. You have some proper strange agenda when it comes to him. Did he refuse to sign an autograph for you or something? Do you hold him responsible for not winning the league? You need to get over it whatever it is.

He contributed far more than taking a few free kicks or some pens. I could sit and give example after example but I won't bother, I have a season ticket and remember his performances well, some obviously don't. Or refuse to because they have this agenda.

Don't give a sh*t about some topic somebody made either, go in his player thread and see if people are mocking his performances each week of that season then. It's probably only you.

Im not talking about whether Gerrard of three seasons ago would get into a Jürgen klopp side - our current side. The styles of play and the players we have are different. 

Gerrard was vital to the 13-14 team despite you trying to mock him by making out he was an old man who was past it who could only contribute by hitting a dead ball. Absolute bollocks.

Jordan is playing really well at the moment, I've been praising him each week in other threads, but I think we can cope without him if he suffers an injury. I think Can, Lucas or even Stewart are capable of coming in and doing a job until he returns.

If Gerrard got injured in the 13-14 season then no way would we have been the same side. We would have lost games no doubt about it. But if Jordan takes a knock, it's my opinion we will cope. So Gerrard was more important to us in 13-14 than what Jordan is now.

And Gerrard is a big reason why I think the 13-14 side would beat our current one. He helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny.

Well this is just all kinds of irrational stupidity. What kind of terrible eyes do you have to not see the praise I give Gerrard in the season in the initial comment below? Pay more attention.

2016-2017...by some considerable margin.

For sure we might not have any one individual player as outstanding as Luis Suarez (we probably never will have a player as fine as him).

You don't win Premier League titles with Flanagan, Skrtel and Johnson leading the way in defence. In hindsight I think it was remarkable we got that close with those players in the defence because they are, to put it kindly, not good defenders. Klopp comes in and converts Milner to left back. He buys a world class defender for free and a handy deputy for a couple of million much better than Skrtel and Toure. As for Karius - I have no doubt that he is and will be a better keeper than Mignolet. So already we have a back line that is supremely better than the one of 2013/2014.

Gerrard over Henderson? I'd take Henderson right now. You'd think given Gerrard's legs had pretty much gone in 2013-2014 that you'd take Hendo any day. But that would be to underestimate the sheer quality of Gerrard's world class penalties and set piece deliveries. I have never seen a better more consistent season of quality dead ball deliveries and world class penalties as I did from Gerrard but at the end of the day I'd choose Hendo because his mobility and ability to recycle attacks this season has been a key reason why we are scoring so many goals, currently at a rate higher than when Gerrard played the deep role in 2013.

The idea that only Gerrard got the best out of Suarez and Sturridge is also probably the most moronic comment I've read on here for a long time. Unless Gerrard has some sort of supernatural power (which you probably believe he does. Childish fandom pal - grow up) by which he can control the quality of Suarez's game at Barcelona where he has continued his unstoppable form then I suggest you consider revising that laughable comment. 

I don't think you're overestimating Gerrard's impact on the team three years ago, I know you are. I seem to recall we did pretty well without him away to Tottenham with a midfield trio of Hendo, Allen and Lucas. We won 5-0. Suarez played an absolute blinder too. No Gerrard. Would we have come so close in 2008-2009 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have won the Champions League in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have come so close in 2013-2014 without him? With Suarez in the team - of course we would have. But that you suggest that we almost won the title in 2014 because of Gerrard is completely destroyed by the season that followed it when we did have Gerrard but didn't have Suarez. Just pathetic thinking pal. Boy I'd love to see you explain that one. Actually on second thought, don't bother.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2016 10:54:01 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #45: Nov 07, 2016 11:33:59 pm

Well this is just all kinds of irrational stupidity. What kind of terrible eyes do you have to not see the praise I give Gerrard in the season in the initial comment below? Pay more attention.

The idea that only Gerrard got the best out of Suarez and Sturridge is also probably the most moronic comment I've read on here for a long time. Unless Gerrard has some sort of supernatural power (which you probably believe he does. Childish fandom pal - grow up) by which he can control the quality of Suarez's game at Barcelona where he has continued his unstoppable form then I suggest you consider revising that laughable comment. 

I don't think you're overestimating Gerrard's impact on the team three years ago, I know you are. I seem to recall we did pretty well without him away to Tottenham with a midfield trio of Hendo, Allen and Lucas. We won 5-0. Suarez played an absolute blinder too. No Gerrard. Would we have come so close in 2008-2009 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have won the Champions League in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006 without him? Absolutely not. Would we have come so close in 2013-2014 without him? With Suarez in the team - of course we would have. But that you suggest that we almost won the title in 2014 because of Gerrard is completely destroyed by the season that followed it when we did have Gerrard but didn't have Suarez. Just pathetic thinking pal. Boy I'd love to see you explain that one. Actually on second thought, don't bother.

I said he helped bring the best out of Luis and Danny. I didn't say he was the sole reason. I said he helped.

Whenever somebody praises Gerrard on here you call them a child. It's bizarre.

Gerrard played well in the 13-14 season, I went to 19 home games and 4 aways that's season. I remember it well.

You can disagree because you obviously have an agenda against him like I've said. So we will leave it there.

Oh. One final thing before I do stop replying to your gibberish, we also won plenty of games that season without Luis too.

Quick Reply