Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.

Read 10888 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.
      Nov 16, 2016 01:19:49 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/798878762393812992

Whatever decision the 36-year-old makes on his future in the short-term, it is apparent his eventual stop will be to serve the Reds again

Steven Gerrard has enjoyed productive talks with Liverpool over a coaching position, but has made it clear he wants a meaningful role rather than a symbolic one.

The 36-year-old has discussed the possibility of helping shape the clubā€™s future generation with Academy director Alex Inglethorpe, with the dialogue at an advanced stage. 

Liverpoolā€™s former captain wants any role to hinge on what he could offer, how much he could learn and ensuring heā€™d be making a substantial contribution - not to be based on who he is.

Inglethorpe, who recently signed a new long-term deal with the Reds having enjoyed success in his position, feels the same way. He believes the capabilities of the player with the club's third-most appearances in history extends well beyond being a brilliant example to the youngsters. 

It will also afford him the chance to soak up information from one of his greatest influences Steve Heighway, who guided him to Liverpoolā€™s first team.

Following his LA Galaxy exit, Gerrard has multiple other offers to consider while he takes a little break and spends time with his family.

He must first decide whether he wants to pull down the curtain on his playing career, or if he accepts one of several options to continue until the end of 2016-17 at least.

Signed up for punditry duties, the retired England international also has the opportunity to travel around Europe to learn from the gameā€™s elite managers as he completes a UEFA A coaching licence.

The FA has also been in contact with him over prospects at international level and assistance with his badges.
      ā€œI've got options on the pitch, off the pitch and I've got a bit of thinking to do over the next two, three weeks,ā€ Gerrard said, with his old managers Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and Newcastleā€™s Rafael Benitez both reportedly interested in resurrecting a working relationship.

Whatever decision Gerrard makes in the short-term, it is apparent Liverpool will be his eventual destination at some point down the line.

Last November, he made a return to the club he first joined in 1987 to stay in shape at Melwood during the MLS off-season.

Gerrard did not merely use the complex to elevate his fitness though, observing and noting down JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s methods from close quarters.

"In a short space of time I took a lot away. Tactically, I tried to pick up what he wanted to get out of every player in the team," he told Goal in an exclusive.

"I tried to analyse what would be the qualities he wants to make a successful JĆ¼rgen Klopp team. I stuffed in as much as I could learn as possible.

ā€œFrom just those two to three weeks training with the team and doing gym work at Melwood, I could clearly see his principles and how he wants the team to play in the future.

ā€œAll the coaches I've worked with at Liverpool, I tried to log notes on their way of working, things I felt they did right or wrong, how they handled different situations.

"For someone like me who wants to stay involved in the game when I retire, I think it's very important to keep that sort of information on the various approaches to management."

Gerrard also revealed his Liverpool 'farewell' in May 2015 was far from finite. ā€œI didn't want to say goodbye to the team and to the supporters and never look back,ā€ he said.
      ā€œI always hoped the doors would be open for me and I'm grateful that they are because the club has been a huge part of my life and will continue to play a big part.ā€

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2016 01:23:02 pm
      No issues with him starting at the Academy if he wants to get into coaching.
      Could be a good move.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2016 01:23:40 pm
      Great move for all if this happens.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2016 01:36:56 pm
      I think Carra is missing a treat here by not getting involved too.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2016 02:11:50 pm
      Well fancy that - a role as an understudy at the academy and he doesn't want any special treatment because of who he is.

Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xabi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

I understand people not wanting him back to be shoe horned into a role because of who he is and I don't understand people wanting him back in a playing role as he is obviously well past his best now in that department. It's the contingent of Liverpool supporters that have always, not so subtly, stuck the boot in on him and continue to do so that I will never understand.

For some, this is somebody returning that they've always been jealous of.

Somebody that they know is an all time legend of Liverpool Football Club yet they've always struggled to admit it.

Somebody that they cannot accept is a player that would have been more than comfortable in any previous, past Liverpool side and is also in any mature conversation about our best ever players and most conversations about the greatest midfielders of the past twenty years.

This is a bad move in their opinion.

These are people who would prefer to define his Liverpool career on him nearly going to Chelsea and for his last two years playing here.

Why? It is very hard to say.

For us, though, the people who define Steven Gerrard for the way he drove many of the Liverpool sides he played in on, or the way in which he stayed at the club when he could have practically guaranteed himself plenty more silverware by accepting any of the many offers that he refused, this is Liverpool Football Club finding him the right role at the club as of right now. Just like it has for Kenny Dalglish before now.

Arguably Liverpool Football Club's greatest ever player working with the future generation under Alex Inglethorpe?

What is not to like about this?
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016 05:51:24 am by what-a-hit-son, Reason: spelling mistake »
      +11
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2016 02:36:07 pm
      Arguably Liverpool Football Club's greatest ever player working with the future generation under Alex Inglethorpe?

There's absolutely nothing to "not" like about that arrangement mate, it was the suggestions by some that he should come back to play or be offered a coaching role with the 1st team that people were against.

This role is what everyone would welcome, starting at the bottom whilst he gains his badges and the experience he'll need before being offered anything more senior.

He proved himself as a great player, he now needs to prove himself as a great coach.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2016 02:47:47 pm
      There's absolutely nothing to "not" like about that arrangement mate, it was the suggestions by some that he should come back to play or be offered a coaching role with the 1st team that people were against.

This role is what everyone would welcome, starting at the bottom whilst he gains his badges and the experience he'll need before being offered anything more senior.

He proved himself as a great player, he now needs to prove himself as a great coach.

Exactly what I said Deb:

I understand people not wanting him back to be shoe horned into a role because of who he is and I don't understand people wanting him back in a playing role as he is obviously well past his best now in that department. It's the contingent of Liverpool supporters that have always, not so subtly, stuck the boot in on him and continue to do so that I will never understand.

There is and always has been a contingent that couldn't wait to stick the boot in, though. I've nothing against people not wanting him back in a role that he is not accustomed too. That's not what I said.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2016 02:51:37 pm
      Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xavi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

A very interesting way of looking at it.  There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.  When you lay it out in black and white then what's not to like about the idea.

The way I think I'm looking at it is that Gerrard spent a good 10+ years being the main man at Liverpool - big name managers came and went and he was still top dog - my worry is (unfounded possibly) that there is a risk that harmony may be disturbed if he doesn't want to do the jobs that say Alex Inglethorpe tells him to do.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2016 02:58:25 pm
      There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.

Very honest. I didn't want to say :)

And thanks for reading the whole post and it's context.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Nov 16, 2016 03:22:55 pm
      A very interesting way of looking at it.  There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.  When you lay it out in black and white then what's not to like about the idea.

The way I think I'm looking at it is that Gerrard spent a good 10+ years being the main man at Liverpool - big name managers came and went and he was still top dog - my worry is (unfounded possibly) that there is a risk that harmony may be disturbed if he doesn't want to do the jobs that say Alex Inglethorpe tells him to do.

I genuinely don't think we'll see a problem with him not doing what Inglethorpe or Klopp want him to do. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Nov 16, 2016 04:24:50 pm
      Well fancy that - a role as an understudy at the academy and he doesn't want any special treatment because of who he is.

Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xavi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

For some, this is somebody returning that they've always been jealous of.

Somebody that they know is an all time legend of Liverpool Football Club yet they've always struggled to admit it.

Somebody that they cannot accept is a player that would have been more than comfortable in any previous, past Liverpool side and is also in any mature conversation about our best ever players and most conversations about the greatest midfielders of the past twenty years.

This is a bad move in their opinion.

These are people who would prefer to define his Liverpool career on him nearly going to Chelsea and for his last two years playing here.

Why? It is very hard to say.

For us, though, the people who define Steven Gerrard for the way he drove many of the Liverpool sides he played in on, or the way in which he stayed at the club when he could have practically guaranteed himself plenty more silverware by accepting any of the many offers that he refused, this is Liverpool Football Club finding him the right role at the club as of right now. Just like it has for Kenny Dalglish before now.

Part time role with the academy acting as a base for him to do his qualifications is a situation that is fine. The gripe here is the 'job for the boys' sort of attitude that some felt he could just saunter into Melwood and be the equal of Buvac and Linders despite having not a slither of the qualifications they possess (I won't bother entertaining the views of those who think he should come back in a playing capacity).

It doesn't matter whether it is Gerrard, Alonso or Reina or Uncle Tom Cobley - if you don't have the qualifications you shouldn't be the beneficiary of such privilege. England is a nation where the opportunities available for so many passionate about the game is almost non existent because of the disgraceful cost the FA insists on imposing with regards to qualifications. What you do in one career as a player, regardless of how great they are like Gerrard, should not determine how you progress in another career. It's a blunt position to take but no more. Where people get the idea that such an opinion is derived from personal jealousy or dislike of the guy is just not true.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016 04:36:18 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #11: Nov 16, 2016 05:01:41 pm
      I think it's a good move for everyone involved and I'm well happy Gerrard is being welcomed back to the club. I'm also glad that the people advocating for him to be wheeled out on a plinth and given an oversized premier league medal in some kind of 3 hour ceremony should we win the league, won't get their way.

I do find it interesting though that he wants a role based on what he can offer and not who he is...

Would he be given the role if he wasn't Steven Gerrard? Of course it's because of who he is!

Absolutely no issue with it though, hope it comes off. Better than watching him lose his legs further at Celtic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Nov 16, 2016 05:45:55 pm

Pretty much what I think.
      There was also a suggestion, apparently serious, that Gerrard could stand on the Kop encouraging the fans like some kind of glorified cheerleader.
      I can't think of a less dignified job for Gerrard than "cheerleader", but passing on his knowledge and gaining coaching experience at the same time sounds like a good deal all round to me.

I see some have also suggested Carragher coming back and coaching as well, but I will never trust him after he got his dad to brief the press against Rafa because he hadn't been given the contract he wanted.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Nov 16, 2016 06:04:05 pm
      Pretty much what I think.
      There was also a suggestion, apparently serious, that Gerrard could stand on the Kop encouraging the fans like some kind of glorified cheerleader.
      I can't think of a less dignified job for Gerrard than "cheerleader", but passing on his knowledge and gaining coaching experience at the same time sounds like a good deal all round to me.

I see some have also suggested Carragher coming back and coaching as well, but I will never trust him after he got his dad to brief the press against Rafa because he hadn't been given the contract he wanted.

Really?  Not heard that one but I agree with you.

I think Carra's made his choice with the punditry side now and I don't blame him really, who wants to go into a job where you get sacked every few months.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Nov 16, 2016 06:12:59 pm
      Really?  Not heard that one but I agree with you.

I think Carra's made his choice with the punditry side now and I don't blame him really, who wants to go into a job where you get sacked every few months.

I think Carra's probably OK doing what he's doing, and regardless of any trust issues, he and Neville (although I hate to say it) are a huge step up in quality from hairy hands and his tw*t sidekick.

I think Gerrard can be a huge asset for the club in years to come.
      We know he has that single minded dedication to being the best at what he does, and I'd expect that to carry over into coaching.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Nov 16, 2016 07:19:07 pm
      No brainer...

The ex skipper has plenty to offer this club.....

I really hope one day he works his way to the top job just like he did as player through the ranks..

In a side note; Kevin Keegan... Has increased his ambassador role at the club via request of Standard Charter..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Nov 16, 2016 07:23:21 pm
      Happy with the move if it comes about, although I suspect he may be tempted by the lure of China for another couple of seasons first.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Nov 16, 2016 08:33:53 pm
      I don't see a problem with him coming back as a coach at the acadamy.I will be forever greatfull that we found positions for the likes of Bob Paisley,Phil Taylor,Bill Jones, Geoff Twentyman ,Steve Heighway all those years ago.It was the likes of those players who were responsible for what was to become the great Liverpool we came to idolise.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Nov 16, 2016 08:45:03 pm
      WTF  is Brendan Rodgers going on about today ...  Stevie going to Celtic ?

F Off Rodgers   . Stevie's blood runs Red not Green.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Reply #19: Nov 16, 2016 08:45:47 pm
      As long as he is just a ball boy and not a coach then I am happy with that.

Everybody needs to start at the bottom and work their way up regardless of their other achievements.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #20: Nov 16, 2016 09:32:52 pm
      No brainer...

I really hope one day he works his way to the top job just like he did as player through the ranks..

In a side note; Kevin Keegan... Has increased his ambassador role at the club via request of Standard Charter..

Kevin Keegan works for Liverpool?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Nov 16, 2016 09:55:41 pm
      No brainer...

Turning down a contract at BeIN Sport to do so as well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #22: Nov 16, 2016 10:11:01 pm
      Good post.

Found myself in full agreement, especially this part:

BTW it's Xabi ya bell whiff.  ;)

Quick Reply