Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.

Read 10894 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.
      Nov 16, 2016 01:19:49 pm
      https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/798878762393812992

Whatever decision the 36-year-old makes on his future in the short-term, it is apparent his eventual stop will be to serve the Reds again

Steven Gerrard has enjoyed productive talks with Liverpool over a coaching position, but has made it clear he wants a meaningful role rather than a symbolic one.

The 36-year-old has discussed the possibility of helping shape the clubā€™s future generation with Academy director Alex Inglethorpe, with the dialogue at an advanced stage. 

Liverpoolā€™s former captain wants any role to hinge on what he could offer, how much he could learn and ensuring heā€™d be making a substantial contribution - not to be based on who he is.

Inglethorpe, who recently signed a new long-term deal with the Reds having enjoyed success in his position, feels the same way. He believes the capabilities of the player with the club's third-most appearances in history extends well beyond being a brilliant example to the youngsters. 

It will also afford him the chance to soak up information from one of his greatest influences Steve Heighway, who guided him to Liverpoolā€™s first team.

Following his LA Galaxy exit, Gerrard has multiple other offers to consider while he takes a little break and spends time with his family.

He must first decide whether he wants to pull down the curtain on his playing career, or if he accepts one of several options to continue until the end of 2016-17 at least.

Signed up for punditry duties, the retired England international also has the opportunity to travel around Europe to learn from the gameā€™s elite managers as he completes a UEFA A coaching licence.

The FA has also been in contact with him over prospects at international level and assistance with his badges.
      ā€œI've got options on the pitch, off the pitch and I've got a bit of thinking to do over the next two, three weeks,ā€ Gerrard said, with his old managers Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and Newcastleā€™s Rafael Benitez both reportedly interested in resurrecting a working relationship.

Whatever decision Gerrard makes in the short-term, it is apparent Liverpool will be his eventual destination at some point down the line.

Last November, he made a return to the club he first joined in 1987 to stay in shape at Melwood during the MLS off-season.

Gerrard did not merely use the complex to elevate his fitness though, observing and noting down JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s methods from close quarters.

"In a short space of time I took a lot away. Tactically, I tried to pick up what he wanted to get out of every player in the team," he told Goal in an exclusive.

"I tried to analyse what would be the qualities he wants to make a successful JĆ¼rgen Klopp team. I stuffed in as much as I could learn as possible.

ā€œFrom just those two to three weeks training with the team and doing gym work at Melwood, I could clearly see his principles and how he wants the team to play in the future.

ā€œAll the coaches I've worked with at Liverpool, I tried to log notes on their way of working, things I felt they did right or wrong, how they handled different situations.

"For someone like me who wants to stay involved in the game when I retire, I think it's very important to keep that sort of information on the various approaches to management."

Gerrard also revealed his Liverpool 'farewell' in May 2015 was far from finite. ā€œI didn't want to say goodbye to the team and to the supporters and never look back,ā€ he said.
      ā€œI always hoped the doors would be open for me and I'm grateful that they are because the club has been a huge part of my life and will continue to play a big part.ā€

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Liverpool in advanced talks with Steven Gerrard over role at LFC academy.
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2016 01:23:02 pm
      No issues with him starting at the Academy if he wants to get into coaching.
      Could be a good move.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2016 01:23:40 pm
      Great move for all if this happens.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2016 01:36:56 pm
      I think Carra is missing a treat here by not getting involved too.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2016 02:11:50 pm
      Well fancy that - a role as an understudy at the academy and he doesn't want any special treatment because of who he is.

Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xabi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

I understand people not wanting him back to be shoe horned into a role because of who he is and I don't understand people wanting him back in a playing role as he is obviously well past his best now in that department. It's the contingent of Liverpool supporters that have always, not so subtly, stuck the boot in on him and continue to do so that I will never understand.

For some, this is somebody returning that they've always been jealous of.

Somebody that they know is an all time legend of Liverpool Football Club yet they've always struggled to admit it.

Somebody that they cannot accept is a player that would have been more than comfortable in any previous, past Liverpool side and is also in any mature conversation about our best ever players and most conversations about the greatest midfielders of the past twenty years.

This is a bad move in their opinion.

These are people who would prefer to define his Liverpool career on him nearly going to Chelsea and for his last two years playing here.

Why? It is very hard to say.

For us, though, the people who define Steven Gerrard for the way he drove many of the Liverpool sides he played in on, or the way in which he stayed at the club when he could have practically guaranteed himself plenty more silverware by accepting any of the many offers that he refused, this is Liverpool Football Club finding him the right role at the club as of right now. Just like it has for Kenny Dalglish before now.

Arguably Liverpool Football Club's greatest ever player working with the future generation under Alex Inglethorpe?

What is not to like about this?
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016 05:51:24 am by what-a-hit-son, Reason: spelling mistake »
      +11
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2016 02:36:07 pm
      Arguably Liverpool Football Club's greatest ever player working with the future generation under Alex Inglethorpe?

There's absolutely nothing to "not" like about that arrangement mate, it was the suggestions by some that he should come back to play or be offered a coaching role with the 1st team that people were against.

This role is what everyone would welcome, starting at the bottom whilst he gains his badges and the experience he'll need before being offered anything more senior.

He proved himself as a great player, he now needs to prove himself as a great coach.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2016 02:47:47 pm
      There's absolutely nothing to "not" like about that arrangement mate, it was the suggestions by some that he should come back to play or be offered a coaching role with the 1st team that people were against.

This role is what everyone would welcome, starting at the bottom whilst he gains his badges and the experience he'll need before being offered anything more senior.

He proved himself as a great player, he now needs to prove himself as a great coach.

Exactly what I said Deb:

I understand people not wanting him back to be shoe horned into a role because of who he is and I don't understand people wanting him back in a playing role as he is obviously well past his best now in that department. It's the contingent of Liverpool supporters that have always, not so subtly, stuck the boot in on him and continue to do so that I will never understand.

There is and always has been a contingent that couldn't wait to stick the boot in, though. I've nothing against people not wanting him back in a role that he is not accustomed too. That's not what I said.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2016 02:51:37 pm
      Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xavi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

A very interesting way of looking at it.  There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.  When you lay it out in black and white then what's not to like about the idea.

The way I think I'm looking at it is that Gerrard spent a good 10+ years being the main man at Liverpool - big name managers came and went and he was still top dog - my worry is (unfounded possibly) that there is a risk that harmony may be disturbed if he doesn't want to do the jobs that say Alex Inglethorpe tells him to do.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2016 02:58:25 pm
      There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.

Very honest. I didn't want to say :)

And thanks for reading the whole post and it's context.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: Nov 16, 2016 03:22:55 pm
      A very interesting way of looking at it.  There is some weird subconscious reverse bias about it all - I've got it a bit.  When you lay it out in black and white then what's not to like about the idea.

The way I think I'm looking at it is that Gerrard spent a good 10+ years being the main man at Liverpool - big name managers came and went and he was still top dog - my worry is (unfounded possibly) that there is a risk that harmony may be disturbed if he doesn't want to do the jobs that say Alex Inglethorpe tells him to do.

I genuinely don't think we'll see a problem with him not doing what Inglethorpe or Klopp want him to do. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Nov 16, 2016 04:24:50 pm
      Well fancy that - a role as an understudy at the academy and he doesn't want any special treatment because of who he is.

Funny thing is, if it was somebody like Xavi Alonso being talked about coming back as a reserve coach - Pepe Reina as goalkeeping coach maybe - the same people who've been foaming at the mouth about any potential return for Stevie would've been part of the welcoming committee at Melwood for either of them, regardless of their lack of coaching experience.

For some, this is somebody returning that they've always been jealous of.

Somebody that they know is an all time legend of Liverpool Football Club yet they've always struggled to admit it.

Somebody that they cannot accept is a player that would have been more than comfortable in any previous, past Liverpool side and is also in any mature conversation about our best ever players and most conversations about the greatest midfielders of the past twenty years.

This is a bad move in their opinion.

These are people who would prefer to define his Liverpool career on him nearly going to Chelsea and for his last two years playing here.

Why? It is very hard to say.

For us, though, the people who define Steven Gerrard for the way he drove many of the Liverpool sides he played in on, or the way in which he stayed at the club when he could have practically guaranteed himself plenty more silverware by accepting any of the many offers that he refused, this is Liverpool Football Club finding him the right role at the club as of right now. Just like it has for Kenny Dalglish before now.

Part time role with the academy acting as a base for him to do his qualifications is a situation that is fine. The gripe here is the 'job for the boys' sort of attitude that some felt he could just saunter into Melwood and be the equal of Buvac and Linders despite having not a slither of the qualifications they possess (I won't bother entertaining the views of those who think he should come back in a playing capacity).

It doesn't matter whether it is Gerrard, Alonso or Reina or Uncle Tom Cobley - if you don't have the qualifications you shouldn't be the beneficiary of such privilege. England is a nation where the opportunities available for so many passionate about the game is almost non existent because of the disgraceful cost the FA insists on imposing with regards to qualifications. What you do in one career as a player, regardless of how great they are like Gerrard, should not determine how you progress in another career. It's a blunt position to take but no more. Where people get the idea that such an opinion is derived from personal jealousy or dislike of the guy is just not true.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016 04:36:18 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #11: Nov 16, 2016 05:01:41 pm
      I think it's a good move for everyone involved and I'm well happy Gerrard is being welcomed back to the club. I'm also glad that the people advocating for him to be wheeled out on a plinth and given an oversized premier league medal in some kind of 3 hour ceremony should we win the league, won't get their way.

I do find it interesting though that he wants a role based on what he can offer and not who he is...

Would he be given the role if he wasn't Steven Gerrard? Of course it's because of who he is!

Absolutely no issue with it though, hope it comes off. Better than watching him lose his legs further at Celtic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: Nov 16, 2016 05:45:55 pm

Pretty much what I think.
      There was also a suggestion, apparently serious, that Gerrard could stand on the Kop encouraging the fans like some kind of glorified cheerleader.
      I can't think of a less dignified job for Gerrard than "cheerleader", but passing on his knowledge and gaining coaching experience at the same time sounds like a good deal all round to me.

I see some have also suggested Carragher coming back and coaching as well, but I will never trust him after he got his dad to brief the press against Rafa because he hadn't been given the contract he wanted.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Nov 16, 2016 06:04:05 pm
      Pretty much what I think.
      There was also a suggestion, apparently serious, that Gerrard could stand on the Kop encouraging the fans like some kind of glorified cheerleader.
      I can't think of a less dignified job for Gerrard than "cheerleader", but passing on his knowledge and gaining coaching experience at the same time sounds like a good deal all round to me.

I see some have also suggested Carragher coming back and coaching as well, but I will never trust him after he got his dad to brief the press against Rafa because he hadn't been given the contract he wanted.

Really?  Not heard that one but I agree with you.

I think Carra's made his choice with the punditry side now and I don't blame him really, who wants to go into a job where you get sacked every few months.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Nov 16, 2016 06:12:59 pm
      Really?  Not heard that one but I agree with you.

I think Carra's made his choice with the punditry side now and I don't blame him really, who wants to go into a job where you get sacked every few months.

I think Carra's probably OK doing what he's doing, and regardless of any trust issues, he and Neville (although I hate to say it) are a huge step up in quality from hairy hands and his tw*t sidekick.

I think Gerrard can be a huge asset for the club in years to come.
      We know he has that single minded dedication to being the best at what he does, and I'd expect that to carry over into coaching.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #15: Nov 16, 2016 07:19:07 pm
      No brainer...

The ex skipper has plenty to offer this club.....

I really hope one day he works his way to the top job just like he did as player through the ranks..

In a side note; Kevin Keegan... Has increased his ambassador role at the club via request of Standard Charter..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Nov 16, 2016 07:23:21 pm
      Happy with the move if it comes about, although I suspect he may be tempted by the lure of China for another couple of seasons first.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Nov 16, 2016 08:33:53 pm
      I don't see a problem with him coming back as a coach at the acadamy.I will be forever greatfull that we found positions for the likes of Bob Paisley,Phil Taylor,Bill Jones, Geoff Twentyman ,Steve Heighway all those years ago.It was the likes of those players who were responsible for what was to become the great Liverpool we came to idolise.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18: Nov 16, 2016 08:45:03 pm
      WTF  is Brendan Rodgers going on about today ...  Stevie going to Celtic ?

F Off Rodgers   . Stevie's blood runs Red not Green.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #19: Nov 16, 2016 08:45:47 pm
      As long as he is just a ball boy and not a coach then I am happy with that.

Everybody needs to start at the bottom and work their way up regardless of their other achievements.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #20: Nov 16, 2016 09:32:52 pm
      No brainer...

I really hope one day he works his way to the top job just like he did as player through the ranks..

In a side note; Kevin Keegan... Has increased his ambassador role at the club via request of Standard Charter..

Kevin Keegan works for Liverpool?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Nov 16, 2016 09:55:41 pm
      No brainer...

Turning down a contract at BeIN Sport to do so as well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #22: Nov 16, 2016 10:11:01 pm
      Good post.

Found myself in full agreement, especially this part:

BTW it's Xabi ya bell whiff.  ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #23: Nov 16, 2016 10:13:34 pm
      WTF  is Brendan Rodgers going on about today ...  Stevie going to Celtic ?

F Off Rodgers   . Stevie's blood runs Red not Green.

Ran green at one point on the bench at Madrid ;)

What I thought too when my mate sent the Daily Fail link...

Any idea how long he has been representing us as an ambassador?..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #24: Nov 16, 2016 10:26:17 pm
      So many greats in the past have proved that great players don't even make half decent coaches.

Would be good to have a local legend in the coaching ranks inspiring the youngsters however I have a feeling the way football has moved the odds are against him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #25: Nov 16, 2016 11:41:40 pm
      Good post.

Found myself in full agreement, especially this part:

BTW it's Xabi ya bell whiff.  ;)

Thing is, you'll know I know that and that it was a bit of a brain fart.

Would hate to be a bad sweat and still not be able to do simple quotes on a football forum, though...

Ye bell whiffer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Nov 17, 2016 01:55:45 am
      If Rafa wants him at Newcastle, I think that'd be a terrific move for Stevie. If a solid education is his main aim, then a few years learning off one of the best tactical managers in the world would do him no harm. Being at a club where he would be judged on his coaching ability and not his history at the club could help him no end in the long run, also.

Either way, got no qualms about him being Inglethorpe's understudy. Working his way up the ranks and developing his coaching skills. Win, win for all.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #27: Nov 17, 2016 05:03:55 pm
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #28: Nov 17, 2016 06:19:16 pm
      Part time role with the academy acting as a base for him to do his qualifications is a situation that is fine. The gripe here is the 'job for the boys' sort of attitude that some felt he could just saunter into Melwood and be the equal of Buvac and Linders despite having not a slither of the qualifications they possess (I won't bother entertaining the views of those who think he should come back in a playing capacity).

It doesn't matter whether it is Gerrard, Alonso or Reina or Uncle Tom Cobley - if you don't have the qualifications you shouldn't be the beneficiary of such privilege. England is a nation where the opportunities available for so many passionate about the game is almost non existent because of the disgraceful cost the FA insists on imposing with regards to qualifications. What you do in one career as a player, regardless of how great they are like Gerrard, should not determine how you progress in another career. It's a blunt position to take but no more. Where people get the idea that such an opinion is derived from personal jealousy or dislike of the guy is just not true.

What I fail to understand - time and time and time again - is this belief that Gerrard could offer something different from those guys.

'Inspiration' to the players I keep hearing (as if this current lot need inspiration considering the way they are playing....)? I don't know whether people are deliberately being flippant about this, or genuinely trivialise the importance of the assistant coaches roles, but I just find it hard to believe that the tactical and analytical minds of Buvac and Krawietz could be usurped by a Gerrard inspirational team talk.

Screaming "I lead the way at Istanbul I did!!" and punching the dressing room wall is hardly going to hold much sway compared to in depth knowledge and measured approach in how to exploit the oppositions two deep banks of four. Too many are swayed by this idea that football is just a gladiatorial sport with rousing, commanding speeches that instils pride in the players, and as such, is a quality that is sufficient enough for them to annihilate the opposition. There's absolutely no consideration for nuance in some supporters ideas of a coach. What makes this perception amongst some fans even more bizarre is the fact that some of our most commanding performances of all time came under the managerial reign of a Spanish manager with no previous connections who was cold, calculated and wholly rational.

I don't recall any tales of him ever puffing his chest out and reciting the words of Rudyard Kipling's 'If' to the players in the dressing room.

Part time role at the academy would be perfect - all the best managers started at the bottom rung of the ladder. The flexibility this would offer for Gerrard to complete his qualifications and learn methods outside of Liverpool (whether abroad with different footballing cultures, thus broadening his horizons, or potentially linking up with Rafa at Newcastle as I'm sure he teach him great lessons) would be priceless for him.

I don't want him to take that MK Dons job - it is far too soon, and we don't want to see him bomb, especially considering the risks far outweigh the positives. If that happens, it will be all over before it even began - and nobody wants that to happen. I want to see him prepare himself thoroughly before even considering a managerial role. He's Mr Liverpool but that doesn't automatically mean he knows the pathway for future success - if only it were that easy, then we'd see Roy Keane or Ryan Giggs being hired as Man Utd manager. He's still got a lot to learn and he's still got a lot to prove, but once he learns it and proves it, he can come back to the club to coach in a more substantial capacity.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016 06:32:04 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Nov 17, 2016 06:59:48 pm
      Interesting thread. I have a question.

For such a beloved player, there is still this...I think undercurrent is too strong a word....but there is some circle of opinion I've noticed far before I ever discovered this forum, that seems to snipe at Stevie. It's never quite defined what the problem is, but I see these inferences (more than direct statements) that there is something not quite right, not quite honorable, about him - and I don't understand what it is. The most direct things I can recall are the glee that some people seemed to take in the slip, including the exaggeration of that moment's role in the team not winning the title that year, and the guy who does the funny cartoons in The Guardian portraying him as something of an egomaniac.

He strikes me as pretty much a model citizen from a football playing perspective, and very dedicated to Liverpool. I know there was an incident in a nightclub many, many years ago but I think that was more about his mates wasn't it?

So what am I missing? What is the reason some people, even among Liverpool support apparently, seem to have this reservation about Gerrard?

By the way, agree with what Debs said about starting at the Academy being the right fit for Stevie, and also with SoG about not taking the MK Dons gig.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #30: Nov 17, 2016 07:30:39 pm

For such a beloved player, there is still this...I think undercurrent is too strong a word....but there is some circle of opinion I've noticed far before I ever discovered this forum, that seems to snipe at Stevie. It's never quite defined what the problem is, but I see these inferences (more than direct statements) that there is something not quite right, not quite honorable, about him - and I don't understand what it is. The most direct things I can recall are the glee that some people seemed to take in the slip, including the exaggeration of that moment's role in the team not winning the title that year, and the guy who does the funny cartoons in The Guardian portraying him as something of an egomaniac.

He strikes me as pretty much a model citizen from a football playing perspective, and very dedicated to Liverpool. I know there was an incident in a nightclub many, many years ago but I think that was more about his mates wasn't it?

So what am I missing? What is the reason some people, even among Liverpool support apparently, seem to have this reservation about Gerrard?

By the way, agree with what Debs said about starting at the Academy being the right fit for Stevie, and also with SoG about not taking the MK Dons gig.

He was and is a great servant of LFC, the vast majority have not got a bad word to say about Steven Gerrard.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #31: Nov 17, 2016 08:37:51 pm

The only thing you're "mising" fella is perspective.

Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one and an arsehole has two.............don't take it too seriously.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #32: Nov 17, 2016 09:27:50 pm

There is quite legitimate questions surrounding his judgement and lack of objectivity considering the reactions against his autobiography that was released last year - which casts doubts over his intelligence to deal with a managerial role. Throwing out digs to Rafa while expressing his admiration of the cretinous Mourinho, and ultimately failing to stand up to Rafa's 'facts' rant, and therefore pandering to the negative media portrayal of the man (which was 'embarrassing' to Gerrard and 'derailed the title bid' despite the team averaging more points after this episode - true FACTS that Gerrard can't grasp). Rafa's actions were 'not the Liverpool Way' he moaned, yet Mourinho's crime sheet was conveniently ignored when he claimed that 'he should have been Liverpool manager'.

This understandably did him a lot of damage amongst the Liverpool following, certainly against a man who epitomised the Liverpool Way like Rafa did, what with his heroics in guiding Liverpool to the European Cup final and winning it, efforts against Hicks & Gillett, the charity initiatives and the general service he gave to the entire city.

How you could infer it is suspicions surrounding the horrifically unlucky slip is beyond me - the snideness is quite legitimate reasons completely unconnected to that incident and that is primarily why Gerrard has to prove he's got what it takes. His autobiography only increased susceptibility over his ability to be a top level coach. Read it - it sadly adds up to nothing more than unsubstantiated bollocks.

Some people seem to think that objective criticism of Gerrard is a complete slight on the man himself and that it is evidence of a concealed hatred of the man. It gets to the stage where any slight criticism is suddenly an undermining of all that he achieved for us. It isn't. Because of his heroic status, some people seem to think he is infallible to criticism. Absolutely nobody is infallible to criticisms. He is not a deity - he is a human being who has his faults, and he chose to express some incredibly ill informed opinions in his autobiography. If any other ex-player with less stature than Gerrard had trawled this out in an autobiography, there would have been - quite legitimate - uproar.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016 09:40:43 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Nov 17, 2016 10:31:58 pm
      I think these three replies compared to one another give more understanding than any of them on their own. I'm just going to back away slowly and consider not asking for any enlightenment about anything on here anymore. Safer that way.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #34: Nov 18, 2016 05:27:22 am
      There is quite legitimate questions surrounding his judgement and lack of objectivity considering the reactions against his autobiography that was released last year - which casts doubts over his intelligence to deal with a managerial role. Throwing out digs to Rafa while expressing his admiration of the cretinous Mourinho, and ultimately failing to stand up to Rafa's 'facts' rant, and therefore pandering to the negative media portrayal of the man (which was 'embarrassing' to Gerrard and 'derailed the title bid' despite the team averaging more points after this episode - true FACTS that Gerrard can't grasp). Rafa's actions were 'not the Liverpool Way' he moaned, yet Mourinho's crime sheet was conveniently ignored when he claimed that 'he should have been Liverpool manager'.

This understandably did him a lot of damage amongst the Liverpool following, certainly against a man who epitomised the Liverpool Way like Rafa did, what with his heroics in guiding Liverpool to the European Cup final and winning it, efforts against Hicks & Gillett, the charity initiatives and the general service he gave to the entire city.

How you could infer it is suspicions surrounding the horrifically unlucky slip is beyond me - the snideness is quite legitimate reasons completely unconnected to that incident and that is primarily why Gerrard has to prove he's got what it takes. His autobiography only increased susceptibility over his ability to be a top level coach. Read it - it sadly adds up to nothing more than unsubstantiated bollocks.

Some people seem to think that objective criticism of Gerrard is a complete slight on the man himself and that it is evidence of a concealed hatred of the man. It gets to the stage where any slight criticism is suddenly an undermining of all that he achieved for us. It isn't. Because of his heroic status, some people seem to think he is infallible to criticism. Absolutely nobody is infallible to criticisms. He is not a deity - he is a human being who has his faults, and he chose to express some incredibly ill informed opinions in his autobiography. If any other ex-player with less stature than Gerrard had trawled this out in an autobiography, there would have been - quite legitimate - uproar.

Got to say that's a great post and fair assessment.

I like the idea of him being given a role in which his experiences and stature can have a positive impact on the future generation. After that only an ambassadorial role is where I would want him. As much as I love the lad SoaG is spot on with the pandering to the press comments. Gerrard has always come across as very beige and aside from the Joe Cole/Lionel Messi comparison type comments I've a strong feeling that he would be a sh*te manager.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #35: Nov 18, 2016 10:15:46 am

Did the comments in his autobiography affect the club in any way?
      The answer is a resounding 'no'.
      Why there should be any talk of criticism on an LFC forum is puzzling, it really is scratching about in an attempt to sully the player's image.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Nov 18, 2016 04:54:02 pm

Why there should be any talk of criticism on an LFC forum is puzzling, it really is scratching about in an attempt to sully the player's image.

Wow. Just...wow. Just hoping to learn/understand something is all. Seemed like the perfect place to that in a friendly, not-too-noise environment. He's my favorite LFC player of all time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Nov 18, 2016 05:01:34 pm
      Wow. Just...wow. Just hoping to learn/understand something is all. Seemed like the perfect place to that in a friendly, not-too-noise environment. He's my favorite LFC player of all time.

Nothing friendly about Stuey, he's that new class of moron who gets offended about everything. You ask away my friend, most on here will debate and answer any question with an open, if slightly rose tinted, style.

As for Stevie G he was a superb player but I always has questions about his character, I still do.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #38: Nov 18, 2016 05:19:12 pm

Not an unfriendly response whatever, which is what you imply.
      You and others present a proposition of Steven Gerrard which is unacceptable to the majority, the fierce replies are a measure of the depth of feeling and support for a legend.

Questioning the credibility of your 'favorite player of all time' does seem a contradiction.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #39: Nov 18, 2016 05:39:00 pm
      Anyone in their 30's that likes Phil F***ing Collins,should have their credibility questioned at all times. :action-smiley-035: And i wonder if there's any connection with him making records again and Gerrard coming back?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #40: Nov 18, 2016 05:51:06 pm
      Anyone in their 30's that likes Phil F***ing Collins,should have their credibility questioned at all times. :action-smiley-035: And i wonder if there's any connection with him making records again and Gerrard coming back?

Depends what your smoking mate.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41: Nov 18, 2016 06:04:53 pm

Done more for this club than most mate, and if you don't like his opinion so be it, but I reckon he wasn't the only one in the dressing room at the time who raised his eyebrows when Rafa said what he said.

Anyone questioning Rafa gets the cold shoulder from a minority, but its all very daft. Course he is welcome back at Liverpool, and of course Klopp will make it work for everyone.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Nov 18, 2016 06:16:34 pm
      Imagine if Michael Owen or Danny Murphy had come out saying how much they'd love to have played under Mourinho and that Rafa's 'facts' rant detailed Liverpool's title bid in 2009?

Legend or not it was a stupendously bullshit thing to say and an insult to the man who did so much for his career and status.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Nov 18, 2016 06:26:37 pm

I think the perfect place for him is working with Stevie Heighway, Heighway is steeped in Liverpool traditions and brought Stevie up alongside others like Carra, Owen, etc , Inglethorpe sought out Heighway to come back and oversee proceedings at the 'academy' or Youth Development Centre as he prefers to call it,

Working with Steve will give Stevie all the knowledge he needs to advance his post football career, and of course bring with it the continuity we had in our hey days, Shanks to Paisley to Fagan to Kenny, ...

It is of course up to Stevie himself, but I believe the chance to have a say in the future of Liverpool will prove too much of a pull for him to go elsewhere, he will without question be a fantastic influence on the young lads he will work with, this is another piece of the rebuilding. Another step in the right direction,

It's a no brainer, we are already in fantastic shape both on and off the pitch, from Klopp to the heroines with the teapots, the Youth development centre at Kirkby, and at Melwood of course,

I don't know about anyone else, but after yrs of uncertainty, yrs of struggle it seemed, we as a club are ticking all the right boxes, and it feels absolutely fanatastic being a Liverpool FC fan , all we are waiting for now is the silverware , the titles, to come trickling thru the door.

BOSS THA !!!

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Nov 18, 2016 06:31:16 pm
      Imagine if Michael Owen or Danny Murphy had come out saying how much they'd love to have played under Mourinho and that Rafa's 'facts' rant detailed Liverpool's title bid in 2009?

Legend or not it was a stupendously bullshit thing to say and an insult to the man who did so much for his career and status.

Then add in the fact he said Hodgson was an excellent manager, as did Carragher.

Footballers say stupid things.
      It's not really a shock, but the way different players are treated might be to some, particularly when you look at the difference between how Suarez and Sterling are talked about.
      One of them shat on the club, not once, but twice, and the other said nothing (but his agent had a lot to say). One of them is still treated as a hero despite shitting on the club, and the other has the piss ripped out of him at every turn, and is called every name under the sun.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Nov 18, 2016 07:51:19 pm

I think the perfect place for him is working with Stevie Heighway, Heighway is steeped in Liverpool traditions and brought Stevie up alongside others like Carra, Owen, etc , Inglethorpe sought out Heighway to come back and oversee proceedings at the 'academy' or Youth Development Centre as he prefers to call it,

Working with Steve will give Stevie all the knowledge he needs to advance his post football career, and of course bring with it the continuity we had in our hey days, Shanks to Paisley to Fagan to Kenny, ...

It is of course up to Stevie himself, but I believe the chance to have a say in the future of Liverpool will prove too much of a pull for him to go elsewhere, he will without question be a fantastic influence on the young lads he will work with, this is another piece of the rebuilding. Another step in the right direction,

It's a no brainer, we are already in fantastic shape both on and off the pitch, from Klopp to the heroines with the teapots, the Youth development centre at Kirkby, and at Melwood of course,

I don't know about anyone else, but after yrs of uncertainty, yrs of struggle it seemed, we as a club are ticking all the right boxes, and it feels absolutely fanatastic being a Liverpool FC fan , all we are waiting for now is the silverware , the titles, to come trickling thru the door.

BOSS THA !!!

YNWA

I agree with most things you said there Billy except the bit in bold.

Heighway has been brought in to mentor the kids, not to oversee things, that's Inglethorpes job. 

He's mentoring them to make them realise how tough the journey is, the hard knocks they'll get all along the way.  To prepare them for life as a pro footballer at whatever level they end up at.  To understand the sacrifices they'll have to make during those crucial pre teen and teenage years.  To give them some tough love, not pander to them like some have been.  To some extent to see who has the mentality to make it at Liverpool early enough to either fast track or release them.  I don't think he's even doing any coaching as such.

Stevie would probably learn a lot from that type of man management as he had it himself as a kid from the man himself, whereas todays youth are "coached" to the next level and hope their talent is enough to get them through.  Todays youth coaches don't use that type of mentoring, they don't "teach" failure so he won't learn that on the myriad of UEFA badges he'll have to go through and he won't have covered it on those he's already done.

I agree he'll probably jump at the chance to help develop the next generation and who better for him to learn from than the man who brought him through using the same methods.

I guess it'll all depend on the role he's offered, how long he's prepared to learn for before moving on and how ambitious he is. 

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #46: Nov 18, 2016 08:26:02 pm
      I agree with most things you said there Billy except the bit in bold.

Heighway has been brought in to mentor the kids, not to oversee things, that's Inglethorpes job. 

He's mentoring them to make them realise how tough the journey is, the hard knocks they'll get all along the way.  To prepare them for life as a pro footballer at whatever level they end up at.  To understand the sacrifices they'll have to make during those crucial pre teen and teenage years.  To give them some tough love, not pander to them like some have been.  To some extent to see who has the mentality to make it at Liverpool early enough to either fast track or release them.  I don't think he's even doing any coaching as such.

Stevie would probably learn a lot from that type of man management as he had it himself as a kid from the man himself, whereas todays youth are "coached" to the next level and hope their talent is enough to get them through.  Todays youth coaches don't use that type of mentoring, they don't "teach" failure so he won't learn that on the myriad of UEFA badges he'll have to go through and he won't have covered it on those he's already done.

I agree he'll probably jump at the chance to help develop the next generation and who better for him to learn from than the man who brought him through using the same methods.

I guess it'll all depend on the role he's offered, how long he's prepared to learn for before moving on and how ambitious he is. 

Fairy muff mate, I bow to your superior knowledge, I just hope he is offered a role he believes will , not only be good for him but also that of our future , whatever it is Liverpool FC will be a richer club with him than without him .

YNWA

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Nov 18, 2016 09:30:36 pm

At least he said what he thought, it was his book like.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #48: Nov 19, 2016 02:48:57 pm
      Been offered the job and will respond on Monday apparently.

Fair play to him if he takes it but I think it could be a little early.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #49: Nov 19, 2016 11:43:28 pm
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #50: Nov 19, 2016 11:56:26 pm
      At least he said what he thought, it was his book like.

And like I said, it calls into question his severe lack of judgement - Jose and Woy are great, while Rafa gets the brunt? To support those two major arseholes while lambasting Rafa is quite rightly going to stick in the throats of a large section of supporters.

Shortcomings like that that are certainly not conducive to good management.

The belief that Gerrard would not be good as a manager isn't actually a slight on the legendary status of him as a player you know. Anyone who thinks so is paranoid.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016 02:18:17 am by Son Of A Gun »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: Nov 20, 2016 06:43:47 am
      And like I said, it calls into question his severe lack of judgement - Jose and Woy are great, while Rafa gets the brunt? To support those two major arseholes while lambasting Rafa is quite rightly going to stick in the throats of a large section of supporters.

Shortcomings like that that are certainly not conducive to good management.

The belief that Gerrard would not be good as a manager isn't actually a slight on the legendary status of him as a player you know. Anyone who thinks so is paranoid.

I still think the best bet for Stevie is to get the assistant job at the acadamy and learn the coaching and management jobs from JĆ¼rgen and his professional team.I still recall Bob Paisley running onto the pitch with a bucket and sponge as a trainer in the late 1950s and when he eventually was appointed manager in 1974 was an instant success
      .It did not hurt Bob to learn the job from the bottom and the same thinking should apply to Stevie Gerrard.
       Learn the managerial ropes first Stevie prior to jumping in at the deep end.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Nov 20, 2016 11:27:04 am

Even Rodgers distastefully threw Stevie under a bus when out it came about the slip and the title.
      Just once in an interview ... but once was enough for me.

Envy ..... its human nature . ..  and they dont come from Huyton ! ;D

Anyhow ...

Klopp and his team are here for 6 years until 2022.

Stevie is only 36 and being at Melwood is the perfect choice for him , to keep some Scouse DNA around the place and on the training field.
      Working with the Academy would be a perfect fit whilst he did his badges .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #53: Nov 20, 2016 11:46:01 am
      Even Rodgers distastefully threw Stevie under a bus when out it came about the slip and the title.
      Just once in an interview ... but once was enough for me.

That was especially poor.

Me, personally, I'm not sure how Stevie will turn out as a coach and truth be told........even he doesn't know.

Some of the autobiography stuff presented a significantly different view to my own - but that's the thing.........I'm a middle-aged man who's massively removed from the life he's led. I don't need to agree with his views to respect his right to state them........and enjoy the book revenues!

Let him learn his trade at the academy or even elsewhere and if he's good enough to offer the club something then great, if not he's still a legendary player and servant.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Nov 20, 2016 01:11:32 pm
      Anyone in their 30's that likes Phil f**king Collins,should have their credibility questioned at all times. :action-smiley-035: And i wonder if there's any connection with him making records again and Gerrard coming back?

The man with the Wet Brain ?  That Phil Collins  ?   
      Hes shot mate .
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #55: Nov 20, 2016 03:23:46 pm
      I don't really get why people take the things Stevie said as such a big deal.

Looks clear that, like many players (some being far far more extreme, remember Benayoun and Riera) he had difficulties with the cold aspect of Rafa's personnality or his attitude with the media. It's just a question of personnalities, and for all his human qualities Rafa doesn't seem to have an easy one, making some players feel they "weren't liked", etc...
      And also that, like Carra, he had fondest memories of Houillier (logical affection for the man who trusted them first) and also believed, at a times most pundits were saying so, that Hodgson would be a good enough manager for lfc (remember the Hodge hysteria when he directed Fulham to uefa final).
      But he still labelled Rafa "the best tactical coach I worked with at Liverpool and England" in his autobiography, which shows that if their relations weren't perfect, his judgment isn't clouded by them.

Finally I don't think supporters, who have all reasons to be positive about Rafa, but have never worked under him or had any close contact, are in good positions to judge anything his players said. Main Gerrard complaint can be resumed by "he was cold with me/some others", I don't see why he must have hidden this if that was true, and it's really not like a big deal... The second one is "The facts rant derailed the season", may be false according to points tally after, but it's perfectly possible that, as individual(s), Gerrard (and/or other players ?) felt a too heavy pressure / they were perturbated after and had the feeling it negatively affected their performances, even if the results remained good.
      I may agree it was not a class act to have given the impression Rafa was responsible for the final failure (which wasn't really one by the way, but our best season in ages) with this critic, but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure", to the point it's hard to find any footballer or manager who never gave the impression to do just that.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016 03:37:51 pm by TonioLerouge, Reason: I get the complaints, but the importance... »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #56: Nov 21, 2016 11:14:10 am

but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure",

It was the season  and not the slip .

It was the papering over the cracks with Luis and Daniel.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #57: Nov 22, 2016 09:53:43 am
      Steven has kicked the MK Dons interest into touch saying he wants to coach at Anfield.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-gerrard-eyeing-liverpool-coaching-9305978
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #58: Nov 22, 2016 10:53:51 am
      I don't really get why people take the things Stevie said as such a big deal.

Looks clear that, like many players (some being far far more extreme, remember Benayoun and Riera) he had difficulties with the cold aspect of Rafa's personnality or his attitude with the media. It's just a question of personnalities, and for all his human qualities Rafa doesn't seem to have an easy one, making some players feel they "weren't liked", etc...
      And also that, like Carra, he had fondest memories of Houillier (logical affection for the man who trusted them first) and also believed, at a times most pundits were saying so, that Hodgson would be a good enough manager for lfc (remember the Hodge hysteria when he directed Fulham to uefa final).
      But he still labelled Rafa "the best tactical coach I worked with at Liverpool and England" in his autobiography, which shows that if their relations weren't perfect, his judgment isn't clouded by them.

Finally I don't think supporters, who have all reasons to be positive about Rafa, but have never worked under him or had any close contact, are in good positions to judge anything his players said. Main Gerrard complaint can be resumed by "he was cold with me/some others", I don't see why he must have hidden this if that was true, and it's really not like a big deal... The second one is "The facts rant derailed the season", may be false according to points tally after, but it's perfectly possible that, as individual(s), Gerrard (and/or other players ?) felt a too heavy pressure / they were perturbated after and had the feeling it negatively affected their performances, even if the results remained good.
      I may agree it was not a class act to have given the impression Rafa was responsible for the final failure (which wasn't really one by the way, but our best season in ages) with this critic, but look how Gerrard himself was treated after the slip, he's not the first or the last scapegoating someone for a collective (and not even real) "failure", to the point it's hard to find any footballer or manager who never gave the impression to do just that.

A lengthy introspective examination of that ''slip'' which to be honest is forgotten about by the majority and of no consequence in the context of SG's future; coupled with a fair amount of negative hypothesis about the player himself and former managers.

Considering the waves of optimism flooding LFC right now and by association Steven Gerrard your doom and gloom contribution would be acceptable material on the shitecafe site all day long. 
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #59: Nov 23, 2016 02:16:34 am
      I don't see the link with current "optimism", I by the way share. I was just saying after having read complaints about those things SG said for a long time (ok it's far to be recent actuality) I never understood why (some) people considered what he said a big deal, as just everything looks perfectly understandable to me. Now if you consider negative to think people even legends are humans, who sometimes have affection for work relations, sometimes just see them as work relations, and eventually answer questions that shouldn't even have been asked (aka "why(o) the failure" when their club had an excellent season ; a bit like... supporters), and that's it's not a big deal, yes I must be. I'd add that if I happen to buy an autobiography I expect who writes it to be sincere and tell how he felt, not some official history made to be sure to please everyone, or absolute scientific truth (not that I'm especially fond of the footballers autobiography genre, that said).

Anyway back to topic, I'm happy Gerrard seem to have decided to come back in the academy role, but would have had no problem had he decided something else was better for him. So I don't feel very "pessimistic" or "negative" about anything Gerrard (or the club / Rafa / Klopp / even you btw).
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #60: Nov 24, 2016 03:23:47 am
      If klopp and his key staff believe there is a role that Steven can fill on the coaching side that won't detract or alter from the current structure or system then great.
      We have a great thing going at the moment. The boss and his team are in a long term contract and a fantastic foundation appears to have been made.
      If gerrard can add to that then fantastic.
      Any media or fan clamoring for him to be hired has to be resisted. We have to all, as fans be very aware of that.
      Personally, I can see huge benefits in him being given a position at the acedemy. Can see that being only a positive if he is made aware of how things are run now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #61: Dec 02, 2016 06:26:37 pm

Quick Reply